#1 Edited by insouciant (710 posts) -

I am amazed by the number of subscribers on this site! I think they outnumber the non-subscribers. And of the subscribers, most of them are yearly subscribers. Why are there so many subscribers? I guess I'm just poor.

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

It took me awhile to notice even after I subscribed but yeah you're right

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8573 posts) -

I think there are more nonsubscribers than subscribers who visit Giant Bomb, but of those who post in the forums, yeah, it seems like there are more subscribers.

I'm poor, as well, but I set aside the money to support the site. $35 for 12 months of Giant Bomb goodness is rather cheap. The only site out there that I support like this, as they provide me more regular entertainment than even what's on television. If you save up a little bit each month, it really isn't that hard to do.

#4 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

I think what you should say is that there are a lot of subscribers on the forums and that's unsurprisingly true. I think there are quite a lot of non-subscribers who listen to the podcast and watch the videos here or on Youtube. The subscribers are generally the most active in the community. Just look at the number of posts they have made.

It's rather odd I have to say, this is the only website I have ever paid money for and it's just because I feel ashamed for getting so much weekly entertainment for free from the crew who I adore. It's a bit different now since the CBSi ads team got their hands on the site. I couldn't use the site without Adblock so I just pay the money upfront.

#5 Posted by Village_Guy (2507 posts) -

Yeah, I've noticed that as well on the forums, but hey, I guess that isn't so surprising.

I would buy a subscription, but I'm too poor as of this writing D:

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (6662 posts) -

When I had money I got one. I love this site too much not to give them money if I have money. Also the subscriber videos are good.

#7 Edited by ajamafalous (11871 posts) -

@zaccheus said:

I think what you should say there are a lot of subscribers on the forums and that's unsurprisingly true. I think there are quite a lot of non-subscribers who listen to the podcast and watch the videos here or on Youtube. The subscribers are generally the most active in the community. Just look at the number of posts they have made.

#8 Posted by Morningstar (2145 posts) -

It's the right way to live your life.

#9 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

This is the only website that I pay for a subscription. Why? Because the fine guys running this thing have given me so much enjoyment that I feel they've earned it.

The fee really isn't that much if you just do a little saving. I'm a starving college student and I still found a way.

#10 Posted by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

I pay about 6$ a month for Giantbomb and Rock,Paper,Shotgun combined cause they are (imo) the only sites worth visiting any more.

#11 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

There are way more people who are not subs but most of the people who are more active on the website (aka using the forum) are.

#12 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

...Giantbomb and Rock,Paper,Shotgun... cause they are (imo) the only sites worth visiting any more.

You're 100% correct.

#13 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2462 posts) -

As I said before, I would much rather make a one-off Paypal donation where each buck equals a few days of premium membership. That would not be terribly hard to implement on their end.

Alas, they seem to prefer legal entanglements. Yeah well, then I keep my money.

#14 Posted by Winternet (8008 posts) -

So many bane... I mean, subscribers!

#15 Edited by Pikawai (135 posts) -

People support the things they love if they can afford, is as simple as that.

#16 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

rofl .. ITT , 10 yearly subs , 1 monthly , 4 non

#17 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Just like everyone else has said, I'm pretty sure it's because the subscribers tend to be much more active in the community than non-subscribers who may listen to the podcast or watch the videos. (I'm obviously not saying that non-subscribers can't be just as active if not even more active, that is just silly I'm just talking about in general).

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (8573 posts) -

We require more vesp... I mean, subscribers!

#19 Edited by alternate (2688 posts) -

35 bucks a year, yeah - we all loaded.

#20 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

One of us! One of us!

#21 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (451 posts) -

I felt like I was robbing the site had to give them something...too much good REAL content!

#22 Posted by Winternet (8008 posts) -

@winternet said:

Not enough mine... I mean, subscribers!

#23 Posted by TruthTellah (8573 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@winternet said:

Not enough mine... I mean, subscribers!

My life for Ai... I mean, subscribers!

#24 Posted by TechHits (1372 posts) -

As I said before, I would much rather make a one-off Paypal donation where each buck equals a few days of premium membership. That would not be terribly hard to implement on their end.

Alas, they seem to prefer legal entanglements. Yeah well, then I keep my money.

what?

#25 Posted by forteexe21 (310 posts) -

Still waiting on being able to use paypal for monthly sub.

#26 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

I signed up because I felt bad about using adblock and about the way to view premium content without a paying

#27 Edited by The_Hiro_Abides (1256 posts) -

The medals... they're everywhere!

But, yeah, I'm sure there's a correlation between subscribers and forum posters.

#28 Posted by altairre (1140 posts) -

I visit this website nearly everyday and I like most of their live shows. I figured they deserved some of my money. Plus all those times they made me look weird on the bus or train because I listened to the bombcast and had to laugh. Still, as many have already said I think there are a lot of people who didn't suscribe and just consume some of the content and but don't post much on the forums.

#29 Posted by expensiveham (289 posts) -

I've been listening to their podcast and watching their videos for almost 4 years. Signed up for a premium membership a few weeks ago when i started using the forum more, figured it was the least i could do to thank such an awesome site.

#30 Edited by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

@alternate said:

What? When Does the subscription go down to $35? I'd jump on that.

#31 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

If I don't subscribe, there are things I'm not seeing.

Simply put, I don't like not being able to see things.

#32 Edited by NeoCalypso (147 posts) -

@alternate said:

What? When Does the subscription go down to $35? I'd jump on that.

During the holidays, around Thanksgiving time.

#33 Edited by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

I was a yearly subscriber for 2 years, but it ran out last September and I miss it dearly. I hope to re-up soon.

#34 Edited by Fattony12000 (7097 posts) -

We're dope.

#35 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I use AdBlock but I feel like Giant Bomb is worth supporting, so I have a sub.

There's no way in hell that I'm going to turn off AdBlock, so if a site wants revenue they need to have exceptional content that makes me want to support them. Giant Bomb is the only site I visit where I find that this is true.

#36 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I enjoy being a dirty non-subscriber.

#37 Edited by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Non subscriber and proud! And to be honest I think the site had better and more entertaining content (but much less) when the site first launched. Wish it was still all just made in a basement with just a few 100 or 1000 users. Ah well. Now we have all these crappy ads and forced overproduced videos which you need to pay some crappy fee to watch. Fuck that shit.

#38 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Subscribers don't outnumber the Non-Subscribers, not even close. They are simply way more active on the site. Last time they had the counter up showing the number of subscribers during a live stream it was around 18k. According to the users list there's 175k members.

Still the proportion of subscribers vs non-subscribers is undoubtedly way higher than other sites.

#39 Posted by GaspoweR (2830 posts) -

@guided_by_tigers: Well, you are a member and that's what counts and for the record at least you're not being bitter about it. :)

#40 Edited by Patman99 (1559 posts) -

We swim in baths of pennies, eat out of golden spray painted plates, and have not one but two servings of Swanson's TV dinners. We are the aristocracy.

#41 Posted by 49th (2697 posts) -

I received my subscription from a competition so technically I am in a non-subscriber in disguise... I am really glad I can watch Unprofessional Fridays though, they are fun.

#42 Edited by zenmastah (879 posts) -

Been a subscriber for 6 months or so and i dont regret anything!

GIVE ME ALL VIDEOS, ALL OF THEM!!

#43 Edited by LikeaSsur (1497 posts) -

When the entertainment tops every TV show ever (except The Walking Dead, the only TV show I watch now), you can afford the $50 a year.