• 190 results
#1 Edited by Kenobi (355 posts) -

I've been following these guys since arrow pointing down. Here are complaints, maybe it's just trolling, maybe I have a point. Thought I'd put up and gauge the ridicule.

It's the whole site. It really feels like the entire crew is constantly tired. Whatever you guys are doing in the background with CBSi, it really seems that it's sucking out whatever energy you could have for content. I really didn't understand how my subscription was being fulfilled with the crew doing the exact same thing they always do. Also the shows have pretty much melted down into any of the mediocre twitch tv shows out there.

Also maybe it just my perception but Patrick has taken over the site. He explains everything two or three times in the exact same way. Agrees with someone and repeats exactly they said nearly verbatim. And his halting delivery really wears thin when he is talking for an extended period, like last podcast. He has more content, airtime, and interviews. I get that he was hired to be a work horse but it seems like the other guys are falling into the background. To work on things that were not seeing.

UPDATE: I stick by what I said and I know I piled that on Patrick, i didnt know the ire existed elsewhere. I should say I think he fits at giantbomb, for what that's worth. The problem I had is he is front and center now and he's not the dude I go to the site for. It was originally Jeff and Ryan. Then Vinny and Brad.

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -

I agree. I'll leave it at that.

#3 Edited by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -

@kenobi said:

He has more content, airtime, and interviews.

Maybe because he's writing more content, shooting more stuff, and conducting more interviews? As to your other thing, are you suggesting that we get a live feed of the crew sleeping? Because for some reason, I'm pretty sure that's what Jar Time is.

#5 Edited by Jams (2956 posts) -

@kenobi said:

He has more content, airtime, and interviews.

Maybe because he's writing more content, shooting more stuff, and conducting more interviews? As to your other thing, are you suggesting that we get a live feed of the crew sleeping? Because for some reason, I'm pretty sure that's what Jar Time is.

I think it's because he's willing to do the work and sometimes I feel like Jeff wants to push work off himself and do his own thing. We don't know the inner workings, but I feel like Patrick is a mover and a shaker and everyone else just wants to do less work then they have to. I should know, I'm an expert at that. If you can, offload your own work to the guy that'll eat it up.

#7 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

You need more Vinny in your life

#8 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Patrick knows himself that he's not well liked in video content. I get the sense that he's out to be in as many videos as he can to gain experience. But in my opinion, he's just not funny and his ticks, like his speech pattern [slow, verbose], get on my nerves enough that I find it hard to watch any of his content. After all these years, there are still many others who agree. I wish he'd focus his time on the stuff he's good at, which is his interviews, editorials and long-form written essays. He's actually a fairly poor newsman from my view, inferior to Alex and prone to sensationalism.

I don't blame Patrick though, he's doing his job to the best of his abilities. It's probably more that the others now have a huge excuse not to go out of their comfort zones by piling all of these obscure releases on the new guy. While you can say Patrick is covering stuff the others wouldn't normally cover, it also means they are more likely to ignore it and never try new things. That doesn't help when they apparently are very tired of doing the same thing over and over for years on end. Returning to CBSi hardly cleared that stifling air.

Though that's just my point-of-view. As of late I've not been watching much Giant Bomb.

#9 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

Didn't you see the GOTY videos from two years ago? Kleptok is going to to control this website and the entire world. Dude, everyone knew this.

#10 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

If you're going to make one of these topics, you need to include something outlandish like "all gays are racist" or something because these threads are pretty fucking boring.

#11 Edited by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

Hmm, i've also been actively following GB since it's beginning, and I think it's just as good as ever, if not better. Theres more content now, which is a good thing if it can hold the same quality, which I absolutely feel it does.

#12 Edited by Kenobi (355 posts) -

I like Patrick, but I do not visit the site for him, or news. Its seems to be a bit of mismanagement. This site is wholly character driven and seems like somewhere someone decided to shift the emphasis away from what was working. I'm here to see Jeff say funny shit visiting Japan. Or Ryan shooting down brad or Jeff. I'm here for "CHINA DON'T CARE." Not general quicklook and tired live footage.

#13 Edited by Seb (356 posts) -

That Arrow Pointing Down intro music was the sickest.

#14 Edited by davo (141 posts) -

More videos wouldn't go amiss, as I think that's where Giant Bomb truly shines.

Can understand the, uh, frequency of Patrick, though. He doesn't bother me as much as he bothers most people here, it seems, but I find he's always stuck in...journalism mode, always talking like he's reviewing a game, inspecting every feature of whatever game he's playing from a professional point of view. I guess there's nothing ultimately wrong with that, but I get more pleasure out of, say, Vinny or Drew, when they're clearly goofing around making it obvious they're having fun.

But, hey, any content is good, regardless of who's presenting. Patrick is great at making me aware of games I did not know existed, and I thank him for that.

#15 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

Tired? Of course they're tired. They aren't taste testing energy drinks at the beginning of the podcast anymore.

#16 Edited by Humanity (8002 posts) -

He had other valid complaints apart from Patrick everyone.

I agree with the sentiment that they're constantly tired or just coming off something so they need to cool down. I keep telling myself that they need to get used to the office but at this point it's been over a year.. I think they're settled in. But it seems like it's always "oh well they just finished Game of the Year; Oh well someone just moved; they gotta get ready for PAX; they gotta get ready for GDC; they JUST came back from PAX/GDC.." Dave is redesigning Vine so I guess that's keeping him busy and not doing Random PC game which is understandable but we've been sans regular Dave content for over a year now.

It's actually really hard to vocalize any sort of complaint without sounding like a complete asshole. There are days when there will be one Quick Look up and thats it for the entire day - on the other hand there is the Wednesday show, TNT and a Friday show so it feels wrong to complain that there isn't a lot of content midweek. But then on the THIRD hand, TNT's have turned into something different than they used to be entirely. Apart from StarCraft I'm having a hard time remembering when was the last time they actually played a multiplayer game. Something with Trials I think? Brutal Legend counts, kinda?

I appreciate all the effort Patrick puts into doing his stuff, so it also feels completely dick to say "well uhh I'd like to see some more stuff with Vinny and Jeff if thats ok?" I'd seriously give up TNT's at this point to have more Random PC Games with Vinny and Dave. So yah, there is stuff and I totally appreciate the effort, but as horrible as it sounds I would like some of that old stuff back? Sorry?

#17 Edited by Jams (2956 posts) -

@kenobi said:

Not general quicklook and tired live footage.

God I hope that's not where Giant Bomb ends up in a couple years. The Quick looks have definitely become more infomercial than they used to be.

#18 Posted by AssInAss (2407 posts) -

@davo said:

I guess there's nothing ultimately wrong with that, but I get more pleasure out of, say, Vinny or Drew, when they're clearly goofing around making it obvious they're having fun.

Yes, because they don't have to write reviews or articles. Drew wrote like one review ever? They don't have to cover games' hype cycles, they don't really need to be in the know. All they have to do is video production. So of course, when they're on video, and are not behind the camera, then they have less responsibility so they can just goof around.

#19 Edited by PCWV (102 posts) -

@humanity: I think those are legitimate excuses, or I'm willing to believe them, they are trying to get a similar amount of coverage as some sites with huge teams and now they have the access to the resources to do them they seem to be trying everything this year. Especially GDC which they missed last year because of moving.

The problem is when I have a backlog of videos it's like 'ugh too much video content' but as soon as there is a dead couple of days it's like there's nothing to watch.

#20 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

@assinass: What was the last game reviewed by Patrick?

#21 Posted by HerbieBug (3858 posts) -

There's a reason I don't bite on the yearly subscription. The quantity and quality of subscriber content tends to slide quite drastically at certain times of the year and I refuse for pay for lackadaisical content like the Unprofessional Fridays alone. The most recent non-TNT non-UF subscriber content posted was February 27th. That is unacceptable.

While I do think content levels have gone down in the past couple months for a variety of justifiable reasons (site relaunch, babies, influenza), I'll hold off from chastising them for that. The content offered for paying subscribers though, that cannot be allowed to let slide like this. Also, I realize Jeff's Jar videos are a low effort, spur of the moment sort of deal, but for gods sake man, the audio on those has been terrible for months. Maybe do a proper sound check and trouble shoot for once before recording the whole thing and posting it up as paid content? No?

#22 Edited by Pr1mus (3527 posts) -

This thread could be used for some legitimate and constructive criticism but we all know it's not going to happen. It is unfortunately mostly impossible to raise any issues without being labeled a hater and told to go away.

I agree with the issues you raise in regards to how Patrick acts in general. Excessive talking that amounts to very little at times and his tendencies to over analyse everything and repeat after the others can be grating. But that's not really what having more content means. The actual content like his interviews and editorials are easy to ignore for those who don't like his work.

I also agree with the tired feel there is to a lot of what they do. TNT in particular is often really boring to watch. It's sort of how Happy Hour was back in the days where being forced to do something every week with a bit more structure can fall flat at times. Unprofessional Friday is different because they can mix things up more easily and The New Release Show has the benefit of involving more people.

The enthusiasm can be lacking at times and it shows and it seems to happen more often lately. Take that Walking Dead quick look. I wonder why they even bothered. Things like that are just unnecessary.

#23 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Does this mean the party is over?

#25 Edited by casper_ (883 posts) -

yeah i kinda agree. im under the impression that jeff especially ends up spending a lot of time in meetings. i mean they are still putting out a ton of stuff (3 live streams a week) but everybody seems kinda wrecked except patrick and hes now seemingly at the center of a lot of the content on the site.

maybe they just need a bigger team.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (34654 posts) -

@kenobi said:

I'm here to see Jeff say funny shit visiting Japan.

How does that even work? It's not like speech bubbles actually pop up when people talk.

And since when have they visited Japan? Or even left the country? (Since Liverpool.)

#27 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

@humanity said:

He had other valid complaints apart from Patrick everyone.

I agree with the sentiment that they're constantly tired or just coming off something so they need to cool down. I keep telling myself that they need to get used to the office but at this point it's been over a year.. I think they're settled in. But it seems like it's always "oh well they just finished Game of the Year; Oh well someone just moved; they gotta get ready for PAX; they gotta get ready for GDC; they JUST came back from PAX/GDC.." Dave is redesigning Vine so I guess that's keeping him busy and not doing Random PC game which is understandable but we've been sans regular Dave content for over a year now.

It's actually really hard to vocalize any sort of complaint without sounding like a complete asshole. There are days when there will be one Quick Look up and thats it for the entire day - on the other hand there is the Wednesday show, TNT and a Friday show so it feels wrong to complain that there isn't a lot of content midweek. But then on the THIRD hand, TNT's have turned into something different than they used to be entirely. Apart from StarCraft I'm having a hard time remembering when was the last time they actually played a multiplayer game. Something with Trials I think? Brutal Legend counts, kinda?

I appreciate all the effort Patrick puts into doing his stuff, so it also feels completely dick to say "well uhh I'd like to see some more stuff with Vinny and Jeff if thats ok?" I'd seriously give up TNT's at this point to have more Random PC Games with Vinny and Dave. So yah, there is stuff and I totally appreciate the effort, but as horrible as it sounds I would like some of that old stuff back? Sorry?

When I think about it, I don't care who does the Random Ass PC games. I just want more of that kind of video. I don't even care if Patrick was one of the guys doing it. I guess we just have to hope the crew sees the valid criticisms and takes them to heart at some point. Otherwise they'll notice a slow decline in viewers. I think we're quite a bit away from that still, but that doesn't mean we can't see it coming.

#28 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

@assinass: I can understand that, but my point is that Patrick's always more serious than not, and sometimes I wish he would just unwind like the rest of them. Whatever, though, I think I'm making this out to be more important than it actually is. Patrick has his position at Giant Bomb for good reason. I'll be buying Teleglitch thanks to him.

#29 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@assinass said:

@davo said:

I guess there's nothing ultimately wrong with that, but I get more pleasure out of, say, Vinny or Drew, when they're clearly goofing around making it obvious they're having fun.

Yes, because they don't have to write reviews or articles. Drew wrote like one review ever? They don't have to cover games' hype cycles, they don't really need to be in the know. All they have to do is video production. So of course, when they're on video, and are not behind the camera, then they have less responsibility so they can just goof around.

I can see what he is saying though. Most of the rest of the crew, that also reviews games, are probably better at switching that button from "game journalist" to "guy doing dumb stuff in an entertaining matter". Anyway, my take on it is that I think Patrick fits in well with the crew, and has his own style. Brad is not really a comical genius either but most of us seem to like and respect him. Saying that I agree that Patrick seems to be doing most of the heavy lifting on the site these days, along with Alex, and it's hard to get an idea of what the others are doing a lot of the time.

#30 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

2013-Year of The Patrick

#31 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

2013-Year of The Patrick

I don't think this thread is really even about him. We've been getting these threads once a year for probably longer than I've been here (since '09?)

#32 Edited by Kerned (1168 posts) -

Patrick is hands down the best thing about Giant Bomb, but I don't disagree with some of your criticisms. As for everything else, I get what you're saying but at the end of the day... it's just a website. It is what it is. I happen to (more or less) like what they do so I voluntarily pay for it. I don't really understand the constant need to wish it were something more/less/different/older/newer/etc. It's never going to please everyone, so I think the guys should just run shit as they see fit. Seems to be working out alright for everyone.

#33 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

GO OUTSIDE MORE

#34 Posted by Humanity (8002 posts) -

@jams: Well GiantBomb has always nurtured this sort of "fuck everyone were gonna do whatever we like" sort of attitude which was always really fun and random - but the moment that sort of attitude starts getting directed at the site users it stops being fun in about a heartbeat. In a way I think the paid subscriptions are really to blame. Jeff has often said "if you don't like what you see on the site then just stop reading it." Which obviously makes sense, if everything was completely free like it is on every other gaming site on the internet. That sort of "if you don't like what we do then too bad cause were not here to cater to your needs" attitude feels off when I pay to use the site - and I literally pay to see certain content on the site it's not like a tip jar or something like that. The thing with CBSi is also that they don't seem to have that much more funding. I mean if they can't hire one more person (Rory) because they can't justify the cost on the bottomline budget then that seems weird since it's already such a tiny site staff-wise compared to Gamespot. But I don't even want to get into that since I don't know anything about that situation in detail or how those sort of offices work so I don't want to be talking out of my ass.

All that being said, I still do enjoy the site a lot. The Bombcast is great and pretty much any quicklook with Jeff and Vinny is bound to be super entertaining. It's just I have small complaints here and there but talking about them makes me feel like an ingrate, which is kinda weird.

#35 Posted by ModernAlkemie (356 posts) -

Patrick is a junior member of a team that is now a part of a much larger organization with many bosses/managers to answer to. Jeff, Ryan, and Vinny have a significant portion of time taken up each week because they are in meetings. This makes scheduling times for Quick Looks with a subset of these three much more difficult. Additionally, Jeff and Ryan have much of their time taken up by management duties. Jeff is also the go-to guy for special preview and press events. You've seen a lot of these changes in responsibility purely from the decrease in number of reviews, videos, etc. including Jeff and Ryan while the Brad and Patrick content has gone up.

So the trend for a lot of Patrick coverage is both an artifact of division of labor in the CBSi environment and Patrick trying out more games no one else is interested in covering (Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, every goddamn indie game that comes out, etc.). I mention that because I think it's important to remember that if Patrick left, it isn't like we would have more content featuring people you like more. We would just have a lot less content. That being said, giving constructive feedback on Patrick's work is important because, as I think most people would agree, he is constantly trying to grow as a professional.

I agree with some of your criticisms about Patrick's discussion sometimes being a bit long-winded and verbose, but I also often find it refreshing because I think a lot of the cause of that behavior is that Patrick is pretty darn passionate about the business. Overall, I think he complements the group well by being enthusiastic when other people sound "tired" (as you put it). I really enjoyed his interview series this week, and I thought he did a good job of tracking down some interesting personalities that usually wouldn't get much coverage.

#36 Edited by Snail (8477 posts) -
@hh said:

the only thing wrong with this site is the festering swamp of immature users that greatly overestimate the value of their own opinions

If they pay for it, they've got the right to complain out loud. What's wrong with that?

Not that the staff has to take every opinion in equal measure, or even into consideration at all though. There are people who just act like dicks, and those are best ignored, but this has been a pretty passive, rational thread so far. As for me, I freaking love Giant Bomb. Though Patrick should probably never say another word about The Walking Dead series of graphic novels.

Okay then, so I guess I have a complaint too.

That Quick Look sucked. I don't know if I've ever said this about any other Quick Look ever, but that one sucked. Which led me to a conclusion: Brad/Patrick Quick Looks certainly don't tend to be the best. Don't get me wrong though, I don't mind them being in Quick Looks at all, just not together. Usually neither of the two is the one "leading" the QL, even if they are the person who's playing the game, so when you put them together, it doesn't sound as funny as it could be if Jeff, Ryan or Vinny were in the room instead of either one of the two. I just urgh. They don't match. In my opinion anyway. I don't want to see another Brad/Patrick QL anytime soon. I smile at the thought of a new Quick Look with Brad in it, so this is a weird thing to say, but oddly it is true.

Take the Luigi's Mansion Quick Look, for instance. If Ryan had been there, that sweet Dual Scream ringtone would have been given its proper due. But no siree, Patrick was too busy saying the word "metroidvania" again.

Okay now I'm just being a dick. It's been a long day.

Whatever. I'll enjoy any content that they put out. So it's pretty weird feeling that there was an actual Quick Look that I didn't like, especially a Quick Look of a game that had so much potential to make for a hilarious Quick Look (that Walking Dead game is awful). Instead, the commentary was uninformed, annoying, and when it was actually about the game it was mostly boring. Patrick just dissing the acclaimed graphic novels the way he did was plain ignorant! At one point he used the Tell Tale games as a comparison point to what a "character-driven" story is, saying that the other iterations of the franchise were too much about the zombies or something. Like the games are better than Robert Kirkman's comic books? As if the graphic novels weren't completely about the characters as well? What?

Also I feel bad about sort of dissing Brad. I love you man.

#37 Edited by thornie (155 posts) -

If it weren't for Patrick and Alex, this site would have next to no daily content. I'm starting to question why I even have a membership when the premium stuff has become so few and far between. Why doesn't Ryan make premium content or review games? What about Brad? Why does it always have to be Jar Time with Jeff? People hate on Patrick, but at least he tries. Sometimes it sounds likes he is the only one with a pulse.

#38 Edited by McGhee (6091 posts) -

Patrick definitely has the most enthusiasm out of everybody, but he's young and healthy. Look at Jeff and Ryan. They're getting older. They're not old yet, but when you combine it with how overweight they are, that leads to being tired all the time. I use to be fat as fuck and that's what I was: always exhausted. And Vinny just had a kid. That's its own whole other thing.

I still don't agree with the "Patrick always sucks all time BS." I just don't see the complaint of over analyzing and over describing. What he says in QL always seem in place to me. The only thing I don't like is that he's in every one, and that's just because I also like the interactions of the other guys.

I do think there should be more content for the site. I'm often asking myself, "what the heck do they do all day?"

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (13910 posts) -

THANKS OBAMA.

#40 Edited by Kenobi (355 posts) -

Just gotta unplug.

Btw I know I piled that on Patrick, i didnt know that ire existed elsewhere. I think he fits at giantbomb, for what that's worth. The problem I had is he is front and center now and he's not the dude I go to the site for. It was originally Jeff and Ryan. Then Vinny and Brad.

I don't come the reviews, I know what I like. I'm here the stupid shit they used to do. Like eating rotten fish, or locking themselves out of their office and gassing themselves on accident, oh and video games. Like lampooning video games more than giving us halfassed content they don't even want to do.

#41 Posted by Snail (8477 posts) -

@kenobi said:

I'm here to see Jeff say funny shit visiting Japan.

How does that even work? It's not like speech bubbles actually pop up when people talk.

And since when have they visited Japan? Or even left the country? (Since Liverpool.)

You mean you don't know about "the raid"?

#42 Edited by Bucketdeth (7983 posts) -

I think the most discerning thing about all of this, it feels like no one is listening. I do enjoy the live shows to an extent, but I am getting real tired of them, and I stopped watching quick looks like 2 years ago. Giantbomb used to be fresh, and fun, TANG was the shit, Endurance runs were awesome, but I feel like they have run out of shit to do but pull out live show after live show.

#43 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I would really want some more "Bradley May Cry". Watching Brad use all his yellow orbs on Neo Angelo and complaining about the difficulty was one of the funniest things I've seen on this site in quite some time.

#44 Posted by Breadfan (6586 posts) -

#45 Posted by TheHumanDove (2399 posts) -

Agreed OP. My sub was cancelled last month

#46 Posted by AssInAss (2407 posts) -

@assinass: What was the last game reviewed by Patrick?

Dishonored. He writes most of the editorials and news here, so he doesn't need to compared on review output with Drew. He can still be goofy like the Hot Dog costume and spookin' with Scoops, going beyond the call of duty to entertain despite all the amount of written work he does here.

#47 Edited by yakov456 (1873 posts) -

Pretty sure it's not them running out of shit to do. More like they do whatever corporate approves and do not do what CBS passes on. If in fact that is standard procedure. I'm just talking out of my ass though.

#48 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

@assinass: Actually it was ZombiU. My point was that he can do with loosening up seeing as he's like, the fourth most active Giant Bomb reviewer after Alex, Jeff and Brad respectively, he doesn't need to come to every game wearing a fedora.

#49 Edited by Superkenon (1198 posts) -

Personally I feel like the energy level is on the rise again. It definitely dipped, but now (well, aside from this week and last) we've got three big weekly shows -- the new Wednesday show which has already proven to be fun, TNT, and Unprofessional Fridays. The latter of which has quickly become my favorite feature on the site, because watching these dudes just hang out and play games is what I come here for. Wait, that's what all of those are. Sweeeeet.

#50 Edited by HH (527 posts) -
@snail said:
@hh said:

the only thing wrong with this site is the festering swamp of immature users that greatly overestimate the value of their own opinions

If they pay for it, they've got the right to complain out loud. What's wrong with that?

nothing, not a thing, but there's a civil way to do it, and an ugly way to do it.

i don't believe the ugliness is done intentionally, and yes this thread isn't nearly as bad as some, but it occurs out of a lack of context, like the personal attacks and the nit-picking about habits the crew have, even when it's positive, it's just weird, it wouldn't be tolerated for long in a social environment, to scrutinize people so closely, but it occurs online because the people who do it have no clear perspective on the implications of what they're saying. it's nauseating, rein it in for christsake, how YOU feel is not the only thing to consider every time you say something, especially if it's something about someone else. the internet has enough courage, try being diplomatic.