• 191 results
#101 Edited by Kohe321 (3533 posts) -

Huh, after reading this post I guess I'm in the minority as "mr. positive", because I've liked Patrick since the first introduction, and think he adds a valuable resource to the site productively and creatively. Don't agree with him being longwinded or "stating the obvious" like has been mentioned, I generally think he's a good addition to the podcast with interesting stuff to say, though I can see him taking up a little bit too much space with the amount of stuff he has to say sometimes.

By all means, I'm not opposed to having a discussion like this though, if the GB crew reads it I guess there's stuff they can take from it and try to improve. I just want to make it clear that I'm really enjoying this site and the content they create now as much as ever, and if they improve on the stuff you guys feel is currently lacking, that will just be for the better for the all of us.

Can't wait to see the next generation of consoles and games covered by Jeff and the rest of the GB crew! :)

#102 Posted by Devil240Z (3440 posts) -

@siroptimusprime: Okay I can understand that. But anonymous hate on the internet can lead nowhere good. Why cant people anonymously cure cancer? That would be cool.

#103 Edited by MEATBALL (3506 posts) -
@grantheaslip said:

I think the entire crew have been getting more negative, cynical, and kind of burnt-out sounding for a while

I generally agree with you on that, hopefully it's just a side-effect of the extended console generation and their enthusiasm will pick up a bit once we start seeing more new & more exciting things.

I also think you were somewhat spot-on about Patrick, though I don't feel as strongly about his more annoying habits and still find plenty that's likeable about him.

#104 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

@kohe321 said:

Huh, after reading this post I guess I'm in the minority as "mr. positive", because I've liked Patrick since the first introduction, and think he adds a valuable resource to the site productively and creatively. Don't agree with him being longwinded or "stating the obvious" like has been mentioned, I generally think he's a good addition to the podcast with interesting stuff to say, though I can see him taking up a little bit too much space with the amount of stuff he has to say sometimes.

By all means, I'm not opposed to having a discussion like this though, if the GB crew reads it I guess there's stuff they can take from it and try to improve. I just want to make it clear that I'm really enjoying this site and the content they create now as much as ever, and if they improve on the stuff you guys feel is currently lacking, that will just be for the better for the all of us.

Can't wait to see the next generation of consoles and games covered by Jeff and the rest of the GB crew! :)

I think a lot of the perceived Patrick hate isn't even about him. It's more frustration that the other guys are doing half the work now because they put Patrick on everything. Of course he's going to get picked on more. He's doing every fucking QL, article and is in every other video on the site. I think people are just tired of seeing him and don't want to see him in literally every video. Before he was on GB, they had the same amounts of videos, just with the rest of them. They'd distribute the load so nobody got too much face time. Now that they got a guy to do everything, I think they keep passing more and more on most of the content and it's starting to show in our displeasure.

#105 Edited by Snail (8662 posts) -

@mirado said:

@snail said:

Bullshit. As long as it's civil and constructive criticism, why would people not have the right to complain? Are you not for freedom of speech or something?

I mentioned premium users because, naturally, non-premiums users generally shouldn't be able to provide much insight into the current state of premium content - at least via first-hand experienced. I never said that being a premium member gives you more right to complain or not.

Moreover, the argument of "it's free, so don't complain" (which I find ridiculous) doesn't even apply to premium content in the slightest.

I'm not saying people do not have the ability to complain; they do so very often. I'm saying that premium members are not the exclusive holders of the power to bitch, and that whether a medal hangs around your avatar or not, you can speak your mind with whatever meager effect that has. My point is you don't quite understand what the word "right" means, and your line about freedom of speech is hilarious when it comes to a website. We don't have "freedom of speech" on a moderated forum. That's the whole point about it being, y'know, moderated.

Your original comment did not pertain solely to premium content, and you did in fact state that "if they pay for it, they've got the right to complain". That's exactly my problem; your opinion about quick looks, content that is free to all, isn't more valid because you pay. I'm glad to see you read all of one line and took to commenting immediately.

You could have at least read the last line, where you'd see I'm not arguing that you shouldn't complain. Simply that, outside of premium content, you gain no more validly of criticism by being a premium member.

1. I never mentioned the ability to complain (I know people have that), I mentioned the right to complain.
  2. This forum is moderated because we have freedom of speech, and with it comes the responsibility to not be a dick. Sometimes people fail to comply, and that's why we have mods. Free speech and imposed societal guidelines are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It is legal to protest, but it is illegal to vandalize, for instance.
  3. I read all of your post, but took issue with what you said in its first line. That's why I didn't argue against what you said in your post's last line, or any other part of your post in particular.
  4. Moreover, I don't see how the last line of your post pertains to anything I said, because I certainly never said that you gain more "bitching validity" by being a premium member. I think you're misunderstanding anything I might have been implying. If anything, I think it might be more frustrating for some to get content they dislike, be it premium content or otherwise, if they are paying this website - I think that is at least somewhat valid, even though I don't think it gives precedence of one's criticism over non-paying users - but that isn't reflective of how I feel about the website at all. I feel like I get a lot out of my money's worth with all the content the guys put out.

Let's not get off on the wrong foot, I think it would be really unnecessary.

#107 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

I used to hate Patrick, but he actually earned his stripes with that "LATER!" close out on the new release show. He's ok in my book now.

That being said,

It's no big secret that quicklooks with Jeff, Vinny or Ryan tend to be better than those without them.

#108 Posted by Brundage (387 posts) -

They're also really inconstant with content...I Love Mondays not showing up on monday and sometimes not at all, the feature with gamespot showing up than not... quick looks of random games i feel like most people could care less about, also way to many quick looks with patrick and vinny in them. GB has been slipping for me lately..really starting to reconsider my premium member ship.

#109 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

I don't know if it's me that's changed or the QLs, but man, they're just boring now; sometimes almost unwatchable. I feel like that 'spark' that drew me here in the first place has dimmed. For me, this has nothing to do with Patrick. The conclusion I keep coming to is that both the site and I have indeed changed, in ways that make the content generally less appealing to me. I used to be able to sit through an hour long QL, or even 2 hour live show, but I just can't anymore.

I'll likely keep up my premium sub, which at this point, I feel is mostly for the podcast. And that's fine with me; that's a piece of content I'm still very enthusiastic about, and get a lot out of. Feeling like I'm sort of giving back for that alone is enough for me now.

I also agree about the general energy levels of the staff. It's disheartening. Especially when Ryan, still a young man by many standards, routinely talks like a sickly, elderly person, faced with his mortality or something. It's just sad, man. He always gets that podcast up, though, so I'll give him that.

#110 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12134 posts) -

Did we not have this exact same discussion like 6-8 months ago? For what it's worth, I came around on Patrick a while ago because his enthusiasm is a nice counterpoint to the jaded-as-hell stylings of anyone not named Vinny, and even moreso with his willingness to try new things like Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter. That being said... he does sometimes go into long-winded diatribes about pointless, petty nonsense and speak with false authority on something he knows nothing about, to not even go into feminism and hipster nonsense. He's been here for two years guys. I don't think he's going any time soon.

As for the site in general... yes. I agree that there is a general lack of enthusiasm that begins to grate after a while. TNT is a pretty tepid affair most of the time but Unprofessional Fridays is great. I guess what I'd really want them to do is some more scripted, planned out content a-la TANG. It seems like 90% of what they do at any given time is stuff that requires very little video editing or planning. In that capacity I do find them to be lacking. Sure, they only have two major video guys, but what exactly are they doing outside of uploading quick looks every few days? Maybe we're just ignorant of how they spend their time at the office.

#111 Posted by EnduranceFun (1109 posts) -

Posting again just to say I support threads like this one, it's healthy once in a while to self-analyse.

#112 Edited by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Yuk disgusting bitchy thread.

Much preferred when the community was smaller and just enjoyed things as they came.

#113 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

Actually, I kinda wanna see an Alexis QL. I really liked him during the Extra Life Marathon.

Does anybody know if he's even been in a QL? ~ Point me to one! :)

#114 Posted by casper_ (908 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: yeah he was in the super long euro truck one with vinny/drew here

#115 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

@casper_ said:

@blu3v3nom07: yeah he was in the super long euro truck one with vinny/drew here

I remember this one. I loved it! 'Watched it live and everything. It was kinda great cuz I came in late, right when they got stuck.

I bookmarked it now, though. Thanks!

#116 Posted by TruthTellah (9482 posts) -

I really like Patrick and love what he offers to the site, but I agree with some concern that he has become almost a bit overwhelming since the CBSi shift. Jeff and Ryan used to be that constant force behind Giant Bomb, but they seem to always be tired or busy. It's like they're more administrators than entertainers now; the brains instead of the heart. To me, I wonder if Patrick is just the one with the most energy at the moment. I mean, Brad and Alex are always working on reviews, and Vinny is understandably overworked with a new child. And the site just seems to be missing a bit of Jeff and Ryan. They're here, but it just doesn't feel like they're the same presence they were only a year or so go.

I don't know if it's new responsibilities at CBSi, but -something- has happened. I still adore Giant Bomb, and while I continue to like Patrick more and more, my main draw remains that core Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny. And right now, they just seem a bit tired or overworked. I'm not sure how that can be resolved, but I hope they will find some way to renew some energy and kick things back into gear.

#117 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

It isn't as if the content for GB has to be all solid gold. Pop in some games and play em and talk about it. The natural chemistry and integrity of the crew does the heavy lifting.

#118 Edited by Szlifier (516 posts) -
@blu3v3nom07 said:

Actually, I kinda wanna see an Alexis QL. I really liked him during the Extra Life Marathon.

Duder, QLCrew.com.

I think the end of console generation is to blame a bit. I feel really bored with games right now myself. There is just no real excitement for new games. Look at latest God of War/Gears of War for example, BORING. Developers are waiting for the next consoles to come out and are mainly working on them instead. Upcoming months will be reeaaally long.

#119 Edited by NoRemnants (386 posts) -
@casper_ said:

yeah i kinda agree. im under the impression that jeff especially ends up spending a lot of time in meetings. i mean they are still putting out a ton of stuff (3 live streams a week) but everybody seems kinda wrecked except patrick and hes now seemingly at the center of a lot of the content on the site.

maybe they just need a bigger team.

I really do think it's time to bring someone else in to help out, especially in the video production aspect. Drew and Vinny seem like the most overworked out of anyone on the site. They did bring Andy in during Unprofessional Fridays but I don't know if he's a permanent member of the team. Maybe bring in someone for video production and someone to help out the guys with reviews and quick looks. It would free up the other guys to do stuff like Breaking Brad and Random PC Game. One thing I don't want is them to add another to the podcast. 3+ hour bombcasts with 5 people is enough. Maybe even too long.

#120 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Did we not have this exact same discussion like 6-8 days ago?

#121 Edited by sdharrison (476 posts) -

Guys I don't like Alex Navarro.

#122 Posted by Slag (4903 posts) -

Funny I've felt that the content itself has improved a lot in the last 4 months. Dramatically when compared to last summer. They seem more upbeat, more open minded. Which is a good thing.

That being said a little prep work before a Quick Look, would go a long long way I think in improving their quality. There is a dramatic and instant quality difference in Quick Look in which one of the casters has played in it more than an hour.

Would kill those guys to go pick a Gamespot's reviewer who might be reviewing the game for half an hour about basic game mechanics before firing a Quick Look? Doesn't have to be a research paper, Take 'em to lunch or something to make sure you get it right before you go live.

However the new site has added a ton of jank to Giant bomb experience which is kind of overshadowing it for me atm. I really really miss just about every feature that didn't survive the transition (Achievement tracking, Quests, Friend activity, functioning lists and wiki). I feel like I'll eventually just go back to lurking if some of those features don't come back.

RE: Patrick

The more I think about it, the less I think this is not about Patrick but about whoever is in charging of setting the agenda there and how they deploy their talent. Whether it's Jeff, Ryan whomever. I think they know this a weakness of theirs as they mentioned they didn't maximize their interns when they had them. If Giantbomb is to grow from here, they will have to get better at this.

When it comes down to Patrick, I think it's mainly how he is used.

I think the guy is talented, when he is in the right setting he does some really neat stuff. And I appreciate that he seems to be cranking out content. He is also noticeably improving his delivery and works at his craft. If anything my suspicion is he is covering everybody's else's butts by filling their hours for them The issue might be isn't that he is in so many Quick Looks, but that Ryan etc is not.

e.g. I think he stumbled onto something great with his interview dumptruck series. That is the sort of content that suits his persona and interests. He is at his best imo when he is a somewhat serious setting.

The other thing is he feels like another alpha personality on the podcast and I don't think it's his fault it's just the mix. With the old 4 each has defined role and that's what makes them work so well as a broadcasting team. Ryan is the agenda setter, Jeff is the expert, Brad is the quiet guy and Vinny is the Lulz. The result is a vocal and conversational dynamic that is very hard for most podcasts replicate.

If you want to extend the analogy to sports, they are almost like a good Monday Night Football crew - Ryan would be play by play, Jeff would be color, Vinny is the humor/common man voice and Brad would be the sideline reporter/producer guy.

Most podcasts I've heard seem to be stuffed full of wannabe Ryans, which can result in an unpleasant cacophony to listen to of people talking over each other with constant interruptions.

Patrick to his credit does his best to fit in but really his personality overlaps a lot with Ryan and to some degree Jeff. I think Patrick basically could his lead his own cast and maybe he really should. I don't think it ever would happen but I'd be curious to hear how a bombcast would go with Patrick filling in for Ryan instead of Jeff doing it, Not that I want him to replace Ryan (I don't), But I feel like their conversational Style/roles are the most similar (Alexis and Drew seem to be more of Brad's type, while Dave is a like hybrid of Jeff and Vinny) and that some of things that annoy people might disappear.

And that's not on Patrick, that's on Jeff or whoever decides this sort of thing to make sure he is putting his talent in places to best utilize their abilities.

That being said we're talking about a A+ podcast becoming an a or A- podcast. It's still really dang good and very special. Especially when you compare it to their competition.

5 is a lot of people on any sort of audio. And this is an issue Giantbomb will likely have to address in the future if they ever add personalities. What happens if they add 3 reviewers? Will they have 8 people on the podcast? I think that would be terrible to listen to. What if they add ten reviewers? How many voices is too many for the Bombcast?

#123 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Whatever, as long as we get a steady stream of Random PC Games, this site is ok.

#124 Edited by Kenobi (396 posts) -

I wonder if the crew still reads the forums. Or maybe their still at PAX.

#125 Posted by JZ (2120 posts) -

Fucking back in the day basement giantbomb, everyone was stoked to be alive.

I've been watching a shit ton of two best friends play lets plays and they are fantastic. If I could give them 50 buck a year instead of giantbomb I would. Pat and matt remind me of the reason I love giantbomb.

#126 Edited by Marokai (3153 posts) -

@jz said:

I've been watching a shit ton of two best friends play lets plays and they are fantastic. If I could give them 50 buck a year instead of giantbomb I would. Pat and matt remind me of the reason I love giantbomb.

Followed. I had that exact fucking thought when I started watching them a few months back. They're having a blast, they're keeping it simple, and while they have opinions, they are first and foremost entertaining. I feel the same way I do about Two Best Friends now as I did when I started following Giant Bomb years back; they're just fun. Whereas now Giant Bomb just feels bloated with a ton of businessy business and drama, and weighed down by the desire to become a more "serious" website.

#127 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

@szlifier said:
@blu3v3nom07 said:

Duder, QLCrew.com.

I think the end of console generation is to blame a bit. I feel really bored with games right now myself. There is just no real excitement for new games. Look at latest God of War/Gears of War for example, BORING. Developers are waiting for the next consoles to come out and are mainly working on them instead. Upcoming months will be reeaaally long.

I forgot about this site. And now I bookmarked it. Thanks, too!

Bears. I just re-watched Arthur Gies and Ryan play with bears. That's what this site needs! More Arthur, some bears, and several 40s' worth of new E3. God I can't wait.

#128 Posted by Giantstalker (1729 posts) -

@marokai said:

@jz said:

Followed. I had that exact fucking thought when I started watching them a few months back. They're having a blast, they're keeping it simple, and while they have opinions, they are first and foremost entertaining. I feel the same way I do about Two Best Friends now as I did when I started following Giant Bomb years back; they're just fun. Whereas now Giant Bomb just feels bloated with a ton of businessy business and drama, and weighed down by the desire to become a more "serious" website.

Man, I hate to jump on the train here, but I think you're right about that last part.

Casual Fridays are basically confirmation that those days are gone. The show is a 2008-era idea but just doesn't seem to bring back that kind of feeling at all; not with the way the site's changed.

Oh, and I agree with almost everything Kenobi said.

#129 Posted by JZ (2120 posts) -

@marokai

Yeah it's pretty awesome. Also they listen and actually like their fans. Unlike gb that sometimes actively gives the finger to us.

#130 Posted by damswedon (3202 posts) -

I like them all because they are all different.

#131 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

This whole energy thing is something I've been noticing too. Besides Vinny who has a baby at home, nobody on the crew really has an excuse for being constantly tired or lazy.

And no, once new consoles release it won't just magically change all of a sudden. Nothing changed when they "got used to the new office" and it will be the same come this fall.

Back in the day, when they posted quick videos after coming back from best buy and telling us about the idiots who work there....what happened to that? What happened to being excited about working out of an old basement?

Money? Corporate greed? Who knows, but it feels like the guys are resting on their laurels, patting their satisfied bellies. Ignoring all the aspiring newcomers. One day their reign will be challenged and they'll go down like Appollo Creed went down and it will be the saddest thing ever :(

I'm just kidding by the way, but I'm also serious about the site not feeling the same anymore. Like something is missing.....

#132 Posted by Milkman (17342 posts) -

A message to everyone saying the site has "changed."

#133 Edited by Itwastuesday (986 posts) -

the site went downhill after ryan drank the breast milk

@milkman your whole avatar/username thing became oddly prophetic this week huh

#134 Posted by Marokai (3153 posts) -

I'm baffled by what responses like that ever prove. I'm pretty sure no one here claimed Giant Bomb wasn't still capable of being totally awesome. Sure, the panel was (mostly) great. So?

This just reminds me of when they were bought by CBSi and everyone defending the move pointed at the Binary Domain QL as "see! this means nothing will be different, we'll be fine!" and then we had like, 8 months of letdowns. The issues discussed here and what people have said are so far removed from anything just pointing at a video and shouting "see! see!?" has anything to do with.

#135 Posted by Milkman (17342 posts) -

the site went downhill after ryan drank the breast milk

@milkman your whole avatar/username thing became oddly prophetic this week huh

oh god I didn't even think of that.

#136 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -

I think the crew needs a kick in the pants. Since the acquisition, the whole site feels like a watered down version of the GB we knew and loved back in the day. I'm tired of the inconsistency with content, especially now that they work in a pretty professional environment. It seemed like they were more consistent when they only answered to themselves.

#137 Edited by sdharrison (476 posts) -

I want a live feed of Vinny's child.

#138 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

The staff does seem really tired. I agree. Worn out and it shows in the content produced. It isn't as inventive and there isn't as much spark and fun. You know. Video games! Yeah! Woo! A site. About video games and the things that are in them! They could squeeze a lot of fun out of even the most boring games during Quick Looks, "horse meet rider, rider meet horse!" now I've almost completely stopped watching Giant Bomb videos.

"Popularity leads to Complacency"?

#139 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (1048 posts) -

Yeah. Most energetic videos recently has been in the ones with gamespot people.

Also it does not help the picture that site redesign is really boring without things that set it part from the rest (quests and achievements).

#140 Edited by YoThatLimp (1938 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

I don't know if it's me that's changed or the QLs, but man, they're just boring now; sometimes almost unwatchable. I feel like that 'spark' that drew me here in the first place has dimmed. For me, this has nothing to do with Patrick. The conclusion I keep coming to is that both the site and I have indeed changed, in ways that make the content generally less appealing to me. I used to be able to sit through an hour long QL, or even 2 hour live show, but I just can't anymore.

I'll likely keep up my premium sub, which at this point, I feel is mostly for the podcast. And that's fine with me; that's a piece of content I'm still very enthusiastic about, and get a lot out of. Feeling like I'm sort of giving back for that alone is enough for me now.

I also agree about the general energy levels of the staff. It's disheartening. Especially when Ryan, still a young man by many standards, routinely talks like a sickly, elderly person, faced with his mortality or something. It's just sad, man. He always gets that podcast up, though, so I'll give him that.

Yeah, I skip most QLs now, the Bombcasts have been fairly solid though.

I like Patrick, I think he has a spark of enthusiasm and a hunger for games still. He is in too much though, and it feels like he is all over everything because the other guys don't do very much.

I don't think it is a health thing, I just think they are kind of stuck in the content farm mindset, where they know they will get 1.5+ hours of "content" by live streaming everything. All of their new ideas boil down to "welp, let's just live stream us doing this thing" and It felt really exciting and new a few years ago as not a ton of places were doing this, but man i fucking miss scripted polished stuff like old I love Mondays and TANG. I really wish they'd bring @rorie in because the dude can write articles/reviews, act and write a script. Even Reviews at this point seem fairly pointless when they bother to do them because usually they come out fairly late.

They are all creative funny dudes, and as long as GB is around i'll pay for it, but man I wish they would all take Patrick's advice and think outside of the box and break out of their comfort level. I do enjoy the Unprofessional Friday, and even the Wednesday show is kind of funny to see how stiff the GS guys are in comparison, I just wish they would put a little more effort into their content these days. I hope new consoles will bring along some new energy for the site.

#141 Posted by DeadPan (346 posts) -

@marokai said:

I'm baffled by what responses like that ever prove. I'm pretty sure no one here claimed Giant Bomb wasn't still capable of being totally awesome. Sure, the panel was (mostly) great. So?

This just reminds me of when they were bought by CBSi and everyone defending the move pointed at the Binary Domain QL as "see! this means nothing will be different, we'll be fine!" and then we had like, 8 months of letdowns. The issues discussed here and what people have said are so far removed from anything just pointing at a video and shouting "see! see!?" has anything to do with.

This

Getting one piece of good content and going "SEE!! THE GUYS HAVE NOT CHANGED! FUCK YOU!" is burying your head in the sand about some of the problems this site has. Been thinking about it before i wanted to weigh in with what i want to say because alot of it has been covered.

1: They need to have a more open line with there community. They only duders who seem to be even somewhat approachable are Jeff and Hardcore Dave. Two out the the entire staff are easy to talk too about valid problems with the site. The rest you will either get no response, or in Ryans case torn to bits on Twitter and banned because he does not like how the question is phrased. This site prides itself on the community it has built up but somewhere since the CBSi move we got shoved aside. They pass valid complaints off as "OH THE INTERNET!" When they should be listening and reading a thread like this, which other then a few weird comments, has been full of good suggestions. Every forum/community has assholes, GB guys seem to think we are ALL assholes.

2: Patrick is a good writer. He is good for getting people into games they might never have played before and his interview dump truck is slowly becoming something really cool. He just needs to be better edited in general. Im not talking about Jeff/Ryan coming down hard on him to stifle him, i just want SOMEONE to say it too him that he needs to stop making blanket comments passing his opinion off as fact when he does not know enough about what he is saying. Again i dont want this to seem like he should be shut the fuck up, i just think he needs to learn when enough is enough (Maybe im wrong?) I understand that he wants to get the camera experience and so quick looks are good for that but maybe not jump into all of them?..but that leads me to what i think is the post important part of what im trying to say

3: The general feel of the site has slipped so hard since kinda the start of last year and the CBS buy out only made that worse.I remember why i came to GB in he first place. I was bored of the more serious sites like IGN and i was sick of Kotaku's bullshit so i had been listening to the Bombcast before i came to the site and when i did it was like a breath of fresh air. It was 4 dudes hanging out, making videos about all types of games. The content seemed fresh and they realy showed me a differant side to games journalism. Now in 2013 it seems like that spark is wavering a bit. It comes and goes from time to time but lets face it, the CBS move was a great thing cause it kept the site alive. Its been bad ever since because the site has suffered. The guys are burnt out. I can genuinely see Ryan taking a hiatus. The dude has been hella sick lately and his overall work loads oher then the bombcast and being the host has dropped off. He seems to spend all his days on twitter. Jeff is also a little jaded, Vinny is overworked and needs more staff. Brad is Brad i suppose. They rely on Jeff and Patrick cranking out the content when i think, for example, there could be Jar Times with everyone? Maybe once in a while? I dont buy the excuse of "Well, we are still getting things settled here" Not good enough anymore. They seems to be a deeper problem here.

Look, at the end of the day i will still listen to the bombcast because it is my favourite show/podcast of all time but as for the site, if things dont seem to pick up il be coming here less and less because there are dudes on Youtube with less expensive equipment that give me the GB like experience and thats kinda sad

/end serious

Enjoyed the panel!

#142 Posted by ripelivejam (4908 posts) -

I used to hate Patrick, but he actually earned his stripes with that "LATER!" close out on the new release show. He's ok in my book now.

That being said,

It's no big secret that quicklooks with Jeff, Vinny or Ryan tend to be better than those without them.

thought it was "Peace Out!"

still hilarious.

#143 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

Stopped reading at "Patrick".

#144 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

@sdharrison said:

That being said,

still hilarious.

You used to "hate" Patrick? Hate is a strong word, and I can't think of anything that Patrick has done to deserve that. Disliking the stuff he does is one thing, but hating the man? It just doesn't belong here.

#145 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

@sdharrison said:

That being said,

still hilarious.

Yeah he DID toss out a well timed PEACE OUT to set the table. Then the haymaker of "LATER!" seals the deal. Great moment.

#146 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

@sdharrison said:

That being said,

still hilarious.

You used to "hate" Patrick? Hate is a strong word, and I can't think of anything that Patrick has done to deserve that. Disliking the stuff he does is one thing, but hating the man? It just doesn't belong here.

lol...

I'm so glad you're here to referee the underlying moral and ethical questions of offhand message board posting. Jesus christ man. Really?

Here we go:

AT ONE TIME I DID NOT ACTIVELY ENJOY PATRICK'S CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE GIANTBOMB WEBSITE. THEN HE DID SOME STUFF AND I BEGAN TO ENJOY HIS CONTRIBUTIONS MORE.

Now nobody goes to hell. Rad.

#147 Posted by Milkman (17342 posts) -

Look, here's the bottom line. This may seem like a cop out but people should do things they enjoy. Don't enjoy the site anymore? Hey, that's fine. Don't use it. Don't like Patrick? That's cool, don't watch any Quick Looks with him in it. But when I see people saying that they haven't enjoyed the site or have been disappointed in the site for months, I have to ask myself: what the fuck are you doing? Why are you continuing to use a site that you clearly no longer enjoy?

The fact of the matter is that these things that most people are complaining about aren't going to change. The guys aren't going to all of sudden have this spark or whatever that you guys seem to think they're missing. If you feel the site has changed (I don't think it has, like at all), then it's probably not going to change back. And Patrick definitely isn't going anywhere. So, if you feel this way about the site, maybe it's time to accept that this site isn't for you anymore. Go devote your energy to something that you enjoy. There are plenty of things to be cynical and critical about on the internet. Believe me, I know. Video game websites shouldn't really be at the top of your list. The perhaps harsh truth is that you're just yelling into the void. No one from Giant Bomb is reading this thread and saying "you know, I'm going to have more of a spark tomorrow." So, you can either continue to write these long-winded complaints about the site or you could go watch those YouTube guys that you say are doing a better job than Giant Bomb. You decide what's a better use of your time.

Sorry if that seems harsh or a lame answer but it's just the truth.

#148 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1536 posts) -

The one thing I kind of don't like is the New Releases show. Not because they have Gamespot people on there, but because it feels like that segment on On the Spot where Ryan (or someone else) would ask a fellow staff member or a developer about a new game that's out. It seems like they went from "We only cover what we're interested in", to "We're going to look at everything". I wonder who came up with the idea. I honestly don't think they needed a new live stream show. For me, 3 straight days of livestreams where two of them are kind of the same can be tiring. And by two of them being the same I mean The New Releases Show and Unprofessional Fridays. The only difference between them is (not the people involved) one has new games and the other has games that the staff wants to show off, new or old.

#149 Edited by sdharrison (476 posts) -

I just want more G4MR CHIX IGN STYLE

*edit*

IGN is horrible.

#150 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

I was going to quote/reply/point out all the people whose criticisms I agreed with, but that got to be too much around halfway down the first page. As far as my personal opinions are concerned, about 90% of the critical posts in this thread resonated with me.

Hell, I'm so out of it right now (it's late!) that I'm not even sure how to eloquently close out this post. Most of the criticisms were spot-on as far as I'm concerned, and people trying to defend the staff or saying "just don't come to the site anymore then!" aren't really helping their case at all; that's always been such a lazy answer to an argument. It basically says "I don't have any rebuttal but I'm not going to concede." The reason so many of us passionately critique, criticize, and offer suggestions for Giant Bomb is because we care about the site and its future. As a few people pointed out, it does feel like we've gone through this cycle every 6-8 months starting way back in 2010. GB hits a hard slump; community gets restless and vocal; GB shows new life and changes/adds a new feature or two; GB seems like it's back on the rise to the golden age of 2009 for a bit; the consistency of the feature slowly fades out; GB feels lacking and crew seems tired/jaded; GB hits a hard slump; etc., ad nauseam. It's mildly depressing to see this cycle continue to repeat itself. I'm sure at the end of August/middle of September we'll be having this same conversation as most members come up on their yearly memberships ending again.

Fuck, guys. Remember the Sausalito basement? The dudes all seemed so genuinely happy then. They'd look for any excuse to pull out a handheld camera and shoot 5 minute videos. They'd make mailbags out of just getting a few energy drinks and foreign candy, and even had mailbags where they opened things from publishers. Now it seems like we average about a mailbag a month, and it's only when they get something either impressive or insane. I'm sure they're probably sick of getting repeat candy and drinks all the time, but that little bit of community outreach goes a long way. I don't really have time to catch the live shows anymore so I'm not sure if anything goes on there, but from what I've gathered they don't even play games with the community on TNT anymore. It seems like as GB becomes a bigger business, they've also become much more distant. Back when the site launched, there was that feeling that we were all coming together to make something great.

I think maybe that's why a lot of people are turning to youtube and twitch for their video game personalities now; it still has the feeling of being in it together. I feel like, as Giant Bomb has continued to grow, they've lost sight of what made their community so loyal in the first place.