• 82 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/91450228/
 
While I'm pretty sure this offer is not going to be accepted because just imagining such a merger is breaking my mind, the idea of franchises such as Mass Effect or Warhammer being developed at the whims of a Korean MMO company is pretty amusing.
#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Not amusing. 
It's fucking terrifying. 

#3 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I would not be opposed to some sexy, revealing clothes for orcs. Those boyz know how to shake it for the boss.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

This probably needs to happen.

#5 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I feel kind of bad for this, but I want this to happen.

#6 Posted by alanm26v5 (446 posts) -

Oddly enough, my first thought when hearing about the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer packs was the Maple Story cash shop.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -

To be fair, this probably would bring about the the inevitable Mass Effect MMO a bit faster than if EA was left alone since MMOs are all Nexon knows how to do.  It would also bring about potential Paul Barnette in South Korea.  I would be interested in such bombcast phone call.

#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Mass Effect 4 is now about killing 43,891 Husks and collecting 259,001 Husk teeth to advance to level 2.

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10912 posts) -

This is insane! How is this possible? How has the video game industry gotten to the point where this is even remotely possible? If you people think EA is nickel and dime-ing us now, well, just hope this doesn't happen.

Moderator
#10 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -

I would laugh my ass off if this were to happen.

#11 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Mass Effect 4 is now about killing 43,891 Husks and collecting 259,001 Husk teeth to advance to level 2.

Make sure those are two different quests and go right next to each other on the quest chain. Everyone loves killing loads of the same enemy only to be told you have to kill more!

#12 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

This seems weird in a lot of ways

#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

My body is ready.

#14 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Holy crap what, that would be insane. I say go for it, I would love to see what the hell that turned into.

#15 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I doubt it will happen, but if it happens, i'll laugh. A lot.

#16 Edited by Brodehouse (9876 posts) -

Say what you want about American video game executives but they at least have something of a clue compared to Japanese executives.

Riccitello wants to make a profit but he knows he has to make something people want in order to make that profit. Japanese executives just throw shit out there and expect people to buy it because it's there.

#17 Posted by Sparklykiss (1955 posts) -

This just makes me want to play MapleStory again.

I'd probably be the oldest person on any server.

Moderator
#18 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -
@Brodehouse: Nexon is Korean.
#19 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -
@Sparklykiss said:

This just makes me want to play MapleStory again.

I'd probably be the oldest person on any server.

Back when I played it 5 years ago, there were multiple people in their 50s in my guild. 
#20 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

A company buying out another company that's been buying out a lot of OTHER companies is pretty crazy.

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

This needs to happen and then they need to release a Dragon Age MMO so I can pour every nickle I make at work into the damn game. Seriously though... I would love a Dragon Age MMO.

#22 Posted by Brodehouse (9876 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Brodehouse: Nexon is Korean.

So you'd say their business practices are more in line with American companies than Japanese?

Would it please the jury if I said Western and Eastern? Do semantics matter all that much?

#23 Posted by Sparklykiss (1955 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Sparklykiss said:

This just makes me want to play MapleStory again.

I'd probably be the oldest person on any server.

Back when I played it 5 years ago, there were multiple people in their 50s in my guild.

We don't want to talk about the people in my guild.

For a about 2 years, everyone I ran into was 17 or younger.

Moderator
#24 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

@Turambar said:

@Brodehouse: Nexon is Korean.

So you'd say their business practices are more in line with American companies than Japanese?

Would it please the jury if I said Western and Eastern? Do semantics matter all that much?

I didn't realize being accurate about nationality is mere semantics. 
#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10912 posts) -

I mean, this is some Korean company that made a stupid MMO offering to buy EA, one of the biggest video game publishers in the world. The company that has brought us tons of franchises. The one that has been around since 1982. THIS IS MADNESS.

Moderator
#26 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I dont think this will happen based on hubris alone. Stranger things have happened, though

#27 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -

It's times like these I wish I had Pachter on speed dial, so we could find out just how much cash Nexon actually has available to offer.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Turambar said:

@Brodehouse: Nexon is Korean.

So you'd say their business practices are more in line with American companies than Japanese?

Would it please the jury if I said Western and Eastern? Do semantics matter all that much?

You can't be that foolish, can you?

#29 Posted by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

I just looked at Nexon's financial statements for 2011, they had 1.3 billion in cash as of December 31 and EA is worth over 5 billion, it doesn't seem likely that there was an offer to buy EA, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an offer to buy outright or just to host Star Wars: The Old Republic and or Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes in Asia.

It's scary how profitable Nexon is, how in the hell are there so many people dumping so much money into free to play games...

#30 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Megaphones in Mass Effect 3. What more could you want? F2 F2 F2 F2 F2

#31 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -
@Kidavenger said:

I just looked at Nexon's financial statements for 2011, they had 1.3 billion in cash as of December 31 and EA is worth over 5 billion, it doesn't seem likely that there was an offer to buy EA, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an offer to buy outright or just to host Star Wars: The Old Republic and or Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes in Asia.

It's scary how profitable Nexon is, how in the hell are there so many people dumping so much money into free to play games...

Well, when you can choose to pay as little, or as much as you want, some people pay way too fucking much.
#32 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Turambar said:

@Brodehouse: Nexon is Korean.

So you'd say their business practices are more in line with American companies than Japanese?

Would it please the jury if I said Western and Eastern? Do semantics matter all that much?

"all you people look the same"

#33 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I cannot wait for Maple Effect.

#34 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Drew actually advised Nexon to buy EA while he was in Korean.

#35 Posted by Korwin (2847 posts) -

Hehe, this would be pretty amusing.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6971 posts) -

I feel bad for Nexon. Because the EA must be laughing it up at them

#37 Posted by believer258 (11801 posts) -

Nexon Exec: "Hello, EA. We would like to buy your company!"

EA Exec: "Certainly you mean you want us to buy your company?"

NE: "Nope. We mean we want to buy your company!"

EE: (laughs like a father to an inquisitive child)

Online
#38 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

that Crazy Nexon cant have enough money to buy an operate EA. License the old republic maybe

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

that Crazy Nexon cant have enough money to buy an operate EA. License the old republic maybe

Dude, they make a shit ton of cash. MapleStory alone is magnitudes more profitable than The Old Republic is ever going to be.

#40 Posted by Ben_H (3342 posts) -

As a person who doesn't buy EA stuff, I support this purchase, simply because I want to see just how weird it gets.

#41 Posted by MikeFerrari7 (187 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Mass Effect 4 is now about killing 43,891 Husks and collecting 259,001 Husk teeth to advance to level 2.

Priceless.

#42 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: not really familer with maple story but if it that popular than i guess so

#43 Posted by GreggD (4489 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Drew actually advised Nexon to buy EA while he was in Korean.

Which one? HA-cha-cha

#44 Posted by DarkShaper (1325 posts) -

Speaking as someone who normally stays away from MMOs but lost three years to Maplestory this NEEDS to happen.

#45 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@GreggD said:

@BraveToaster said:

Drew actually advised Nexon to buy EA while he was in Korean.

Which one? HA-cha-cha

Hey-ooooooohhhhh!
#46 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

I want it, I need it... It would mean a terrible loss for gamers but oh god I want it to happen so bad.

#47 Posted by Illuminosopher (322 posts) -

This would be pretty wonderful, but even if it were to happen i doubt it would change much of anything.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

I want it, I need it... It would mean a terrible loss for gamers but oh god I want it to happen so bad.

How would it be a terrible loss for EA to have new owners?

#49 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1107 posts) -

Nexon doesn't have the cash.

They are the company that pretty much conceived and perfected the Free to Play model, and it would be very interesting to see what they would do inside the traditional gaming realm.

#50 Posted by Bocam (3720 posts) -

I want this so fucking badly.