• 55 results
#1 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

If you could search my comments you'd probably see I'm fairly critical of Patrick's work on Giant Bomb. And while I stand by what I've said in the past I feel I should also say what a great job he's done lately. On the Game of the Year podcasts I felt he was a good voice of reason (they got pretty heated) and his articles 'On Games, Reviews and Criticism' were great to read.

I'd hate to only ever be negative about someone and never say anything positive about them, particularly when I've been so critical in the past and they've done some great stuff lately... though the crazed Patrick Defense Force is still annoying.

So yeah, thanks for all the good work lately Patrick, you've made me glad I pay for this site. Keep it up!

(For the record I don't think he needs my praise, I'm not psychotic, but I'd rather be even-handed than seen as a dick/troll)

#2 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

As well as being a respectable game journalist he is also a pretty good hotdog.

#3 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Acclimation. It's a thing. Good to know at least someone who used to hate him is starting to enjoy his work.

#4 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

Eh, he's pretty good.

Personally, Patrick is most of the reason why I wonder what the other guys do. Alex and Pat are the only ones who actually write articles.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see them do a video feature: A day in the life of a Giant Bomb. Show us what  a normal day at the office is like.

#5 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

I felt like there was a lot of "look at me doing journalism!" content, initially. Hitting all the cliched hip crap about sexism in games, for example (worthy topic or not, it's basically the must-write thing for anyone that wants to point out that they're a Serious(TM) games journalist). After a few such articles, he seems to be expanding into more interesting things. I am enjoying the current series he's doing on reviewing. I'd like to see more content on Giant Bomb that isn't just "look at us do stuff for laughs!", without going down the cliche'd "me validating a degree" route. Not instead of all the content that's for laughs... just in addition to. It seems this is such a fantastic place to explore producing that kind of original content that would get lost at the other sites and it's a shame it hasn't been done, yet.

#6 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

I have loved Patrick since G4. He has always felt more informative than other journalists.

Nice to know you think he's alright.

Is this considered the PDF?

#7 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

If you wanted to let him know you think he has been doing better why didn't you PM him or give him a shout out on here like this:

#8 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Refreshing to read some positive feedback for once on the Internet. Everyone are (of course) entitled to express negative feedback, but people seem to have a hard time to hand out roses every once in a while among the thorns.

#9 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Patrick seems to be the only one to have any real resistance to Jeff's opinions. Sorry but its true.

#10 Posted by Unchained (1081 posts) -

I think Klepek is a great addition to the bombcast and an asset to the site in general. I enjoy (though seldom share) his taste on games. I like that he's not afraid to "dig" to get the information people would want to hear about.

@Branthog said:

I felt like there was a lot of "look at me doing journalism!" content, initially. Hitting all the cliched hip crap about sexism in games, for example (worthy topic or not, it's basically the must-write thing for anyone that wants to point out that they're a Serious(TM) games journalist). After a few such articles, he seems to be expanding into more interesting things. I am enjoying the current series he's doing on reviewing. I'd like to see more content on Giant Bomb that isn't just "look at us do stuff for laughs!", without going down the cliche'd "me validating a degree" route. Not instead of all the content that's for laughs... just in addition to. It seems this is such a fantastic place to explore producing that kind of original content that would get lost at the other sites and it's a shame it hasn't been done, yet.

Well said. I really couldn't add more.

#11 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@Knetic2341 said:

Is this considered the PDF?

Public Display of Fallos?

Anyway, Patrick is a cool guy and he seems much more enthusiastic than the other guys. Brad hasn't cared in a long, long time and when it comes to games, Patrick seems like the only one who doesn't exclusively play hugely marketed games for points. Except for maybe Vinny. This is also reflected on Formspring, where Brad opened an account and answers a question every lightyear, along with Jeff, while Patrick answers probably 100 questions each week. And also, he's doing and Endurance Run too.

@MysteriousBob said:

Patrick seems to be the only one to have any real resistance to Jeff's opinions. Sorry but its true.

Yeah, Jeff is often very dominating.

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (261 posts) -

Good on you.

#13 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Wow, now that he has your praise and approval im sure he will sleep easy.

#14 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -
@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Wow, now that he has your praise and approval im sure he will sleep easy.

I'm sure the passed decade of writing articles was just practice, and in the last couple months he really got over that hump.
#15 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

He's starting to grow on me. Before I thought he really didn't gel well with staff but since the GOTY podcasts, he's been getting better.

#16 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@Mutley said:

He's starting to grow on me. Before I thought he really didn't gel well with staff but since the GOTY podcasts, he's been getting better.

The thing is, the only reason I know Patrick as "the guy from the GB crew that does the journalism" is that everyone on GB is constantly fucking telling me Patrick is "the journalist". Otherwise, for the most part, I would just have seen him as another dude on another gaming site writing blurbs about gaming news. I really do not mean any disrespect to him, but if I were to comment only based on written contribution, I wouldn't see him as some erudite journalist that is always pounding the pavement turning up leads for uber-journalism.

That isn't to say that he couldn't produce meaningful and distinguishing pieces of substance, but that I think it's very hard to find that substance, to begin with. I mean, we're talking about videogames, where almost everything is either rehashing nostalgia or playing the give-and-take of almost entirely planned and controlled interactions with developers and publishers and personalities (though GB does better than most at engaging industry people outside of their business persona).

Anyway, as a result, I don't think of "the journalist". He's just another guy on the GB crew with another set of experiences and opinions that sometimes writes blurbs about the news and every so often does a longer piece about stuff. Considering what there is to work with here and the generalist nature of the site, I certainly don't see any problem with what he does. I get the feeling that if anyone does push forward on the GB content beyond what I mentioned in my other comment (beyond reposting today's news, a review, a quicklook, and a podcast), it would end up being Patrick.

Also, aside from all that stuff, the dude just makes me laugh. His weirdness with Nolan North was absolutely great (which also relied on Nolan North being quick and not being stiff about things). I most certainly never see Patrick in a piece of content and respond with a groan or anything.

#17 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

It's primarily an attribute afforded by the hair.

#18 Edited by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Generally speaking i love the addition of Patrick to the team. Hes nearly becoming my favourite member of the team( i emphasise on NEARLY :p)

#19 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@Unchained said:

I think Klepek is a great addition to the bombcast and an asset to the site in general. I enjoy (though seldom share) his taste on games. I like that he's not afraid to "dig" to get the information people would want to hear about.

@Branthog said:

Well said. I really couldn't add more.

Yeah ... that is well said. I never get so drawn into anything (music, comics, games, movies, etc) that I can't be critical of them if they start to suck or have flaws. And the "look at me" stuff getting on my nerves is how I felt too ... but I agree he's adding the more serious articles to the otherwise humour filled site. Which is working out better than before and I hope it continues in 2012.

#20 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I think Patrick is doing a great job, except for that blunder of an interview with Nolan North. That whole thing was cringe worthy.

#21 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

He's gotten slightly better on the Bombcast, too. I noticed less shrieking and less commenting-on-every-subject-with-longwinded-monologues.

#22 Posted by SlashDance (1818 posts) -

God that laugh...

#23 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

He does get praise. It's called a pay check.

#24 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

I think Patrick is doing a great job, except for that blunder of an interview with Nolan North. That whole thing was cringe worthy

North was ragging on him whole interview, he jokingly called him a arsehole, good on him.

#25 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

God that laugh...

Yep, there's still room for improvement. ;)

#26 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

To be honest I'm just glad that he's finally begun to use spell checker, but the articles have gotten better yes.

#27 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Branthog said:

Well said, well said i couldn't add more.
#28 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

What the fuck did you say about Vinny? Get the hell outta here!

Just kidding.

#29 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

Didn't Bioware Guy approach Patrick to do that article though? I don't know, it just read like Bioware Guy getting excuses in early for Mass Effect 3 to me, and then some mutual backslapping about how 5 star scales are the best, even though they're the main cause for the thing they were just complaining about (review score inflation).

This isn't exactly a new discussion anyway. Here's how it goes:

1. Establish that the actual solution to a lot of the problems the existing industry/press relationship has is to remove review scores and/or pull support from Metacritic.
  2. Consider the ramifications of that for a minute (less hits for any site which does it; a press which the industry would find much harder to manipulate) before promptly throwing their arms up in the air and deciding it can't be done.
  3. Carry on tutting about the state of things while doing nothing at all to risk the status quo.
#30 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1801 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

Brad can hold his own against Jeff a few times.

#31 Posted by hermes (1496 posts) -

I don't know where all the Patrick hate comes from...

Ever since the supreme court features, he has become an important part of the GB crew. The news section used to be pretty lacking.

Also, he defended Rayman in the GOTY podcasts... and that is a plus in my book.

#32 Posted by sub_o (902 posts) -

@N7: Although this might not be exactly what you were asking, but Tested recently uploaded this video which shows a quick tour around the south wall of Whiskey Media, annotating some of the rooms, and figurines on the desks.

Hopefully they would upload a full tour around the office, showing what's on their desk.

#33 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

it just read like Bioware Guy getting excuses in early for Mass Effect 3 to me

agreed

@Jimbo said:

and then some mutual backslapping about how 5 star scales are the best, even though they're the main cause for the thing they were just complaining about (review score inflation).

Disagree. The more granular the scale, the more reviewers feel inclined to use only the top part of the scale (as in: "let's only compare games on a scale between 70 and 100).

#34 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

He's still an asshole, though.

^
Nolan North approves this message. ;)

#35 Edited by CookieMonster (2418 posts) -

I take it you weren't here when Brad Nicholson was the main journalist for the news articles. Patrick seemed like a gift from god when he came to replace Brad.

#36 Posted by Humanity (9384 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Brad can hold his own against Jeff a few times.

Brads way of holding his own is outright denial as opposed to arguments and facts.

Patrick still feels a little too spergy for me. I just can't help but feel that whenever they have some of those other guests on the show from the industry I think "I wouldn't mind THAT guy being part of the team"

#37 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

More hair = better writing

Common sense.

#38 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@Jimbo said:

and then some mutual backslapping about how 5 star scales are the best, even though they're the main cause for the thing they were just complaining about (review score inflation).

Disagree. The more granular the scale, the more reviewers feel inclined to use only the top part of the scale (as in: "let's only compare games on a scale between 70 and 100).

That still happens here though. There are like 3-4x as many 4 star reviews as 2 star reviews, with 4 stars being by far the most common score.

Still, the main issue (vs other scales) is that metacritic converts star ratings 10% higher than it should.

#39 Posted by Anund (902 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Jimbo said:

That still happens here though. There are like 3-4x as many 4 star reviews as 2 star reviews, with 4 stars being by far the most common score.

Still, the main issue (vs other scales) is that metacritic converts star ratings 10% higher than it should.

Well, this being a smaller site they will typically only review games worth the effort. A higher number of high scoring games is natural because of this.

#40 Posted by Perrin (44 posts) -

Until I saw this thread on the front page I hadn't even realised there were people who didn't like what Patrick has brought to the site up until now. Before Patrick arrived Giant Bomb had already become my favourite site just because it seems one of the few left that actually enjoy playing games and are always looking for new ways to have fun with the subject. Patrick to me has just stepped the site up an extra level. Apart from Rock Paper Shotgun it's hard to find any other outlets that talk about games without just being a PR mouthpiece. I've really welcomed his attempts to find interesting stories and dig deeper into topics than the face value of press releases. I just hope if the attempts at investigate journalism are getting lower hits and a storm of dismissive comments it doesn't deter the site from pushing in that direction.

#41 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Jimbo said:

It's because most of the reviewed games are pretty good. But at least there are 1- and 2-star reviews. How many 20-40% review scores do you see these days? 60% from most publications usually means the game is utter shit whereas a 3-review rather signifies average quality (fans might like it etc) - as it should. Percentage ratings are way more fucked up, in many ways.

But yeah, of course ... the metacritic conversion is pointless and falsifies the actual scores.

#42 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

I love me some Afro Hotdog.

#43 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

There was a period of adjustment, but P-Kleps has integrated himself fully now, to the point where I would really miss him if he were gone.

I'm not going to say that being lightly scolded by Nolan North was the direct cause of this, though. That's for you all to decide for yourselves.

#44 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@Jimbo said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Jimbo said:

It's because most of the reviewed games are pretty good. But at least there are 1- and 2-star reviews. How many 20-40% review scores do you see these days? 60% from most publications usually means the game is utter shit whereas a 3-review rather signifies average quality (fans might like it etc) - as it should. Percentage ratings are way more fucked up, in many ways.

But yeah, of course ... the metacritic conversion is pointless and falsifies the actual scores.

It is because most of the reviewed games are pretty good, but I think the scale being used needs to reflect the games being reviewed, not 'all games' (the vast majority of which nobody cares about anyway). When almost a half of games being reviewed are receiving a 4 star rating (as a result of them only reviewing 'pretty good' games in the first place), then I think people need more help differentiating between those games. The current system is skewed far too high - there are too many 5s and waaaay too many 4s for those numbers to be useful. Differentiating between 1 and 2 star games is redundant considering they both mean 'bad' and considering how rarely they're used anyway. I need help deciding between good games, not bad ones.

I'd argue that 4 Stars here now reads as 'average' just by virtue of how frequently it's used, and that 3 stars reads as 'kinda shitty' in exactly the same way that 60% does nowadays.

#45 Posted by Catarrhal (835 posts) -

@Winternet said:

More hair = better writing

Common sense.

The opposite is more likely to be true when you consider such pros as Greg Kasavin and Stephen Totilo.

#46 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

When almost a half of games being reviewed are receiving a 4 star rating (as a result of them only reviewing 'pretty good' games in the first place), then I think people need more help differentiating between those games.

No, actually there's no need to compare these games. The only thing you need to know is whether it is an average, good or really good game. Whether it appeals to you is up to your taste - review scores are subjective anyway. No 5%-score-difference would make me believe that one game is actually 5% better than another game.

#47 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

@CookieMonster said:

I take it you weren't here when Brad Nicholson was the main journalist for the news articles. Patrick seemed like a gift from god when he came to replace Brad.

Agreed! I have been a patrick fan since day 1 for this very reason. The news on this site used to be a fucking joke. 9 times out of 10 there would be a forum post a few pages long about a piece of news and THEN brad nicholson would make a post. Obviously it wasn't his full time job, so I couldn't expect him to get posts up fast, but it was annoying non the less.

#48 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Patrick is one of those games writers I would actually call a "video game journalist". Which is to say he's not just a reviewer/critic, and he doesn't just regurgitate press releases.

#49 Posted by MethodMan008 (814 posts) -

When Patrick first came on staff, I was mad and I didn't like him... For no reason other than I didn't want anyone other than Jeff, Ryan, BRAD, Vinny, Dave, Alex, and Drew in my Giantbomb content. But after great article after great article, awesome video content, the endurance run, and being an all around good dude on the bombcast, I now love Patrick.

One thing that kinda annoys me is how he explains the most basic shit about football, but that stuff is probably useful to the people he's in the room with.. I guess?

#50 Posted by spankingaddict (2678 posts) -

I've always been a fan of Patrick K. Ever since he was a part of G4 ,at least . He might be my favorite broski on the staff ...