So, Polygon is making a documentary about Polygon.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Coafi

Polygon is making a documentary talking about their journey in making of polygon.com

Over at the verge, the Polygon team announced that they will be putting out this documentary that will be split into ten episodes of 9 minutes each which will add up to be like a 90 minute film. They posted this teaser today, and well the shit hit the fan.

Users are calling them out, because c'mon you can't be serious. Why would they being doing this? What makes them the "best editorial team" in games journalism? What's so baffling is the fact, that they can't comprehend why people keep calling them out. Maybe, if you were a little bit more humble about, just maybe.

Here's the post;

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/23/3262617/press-reset-the-story-of-polygon-official-trailer

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By YI_Orange

What baffles me is that people lost so much of their shit at a trailer. They wanna do it, they're doing it, no one is being hurt, get over it. Or at the very least wait until you see the finished product until you start being ass. (You is being used generally, not directed at the OP).

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By stinky

did not want to give that article the time of day because of reasons stated.

should title it "Riding on the Back of The Verge, The Polygon Story."

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Samaritan

Isn't this just a much more expensive, polished version of How to Build a Bomb? I mean, it's the same basic idea, right?

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Coafi

@YI_Orange said:

What baffles me is that people lost so much of their shit at a trailer. They wanna do it, they're doing it, no one is being hurt, get over it. Or at the very least wait until you see the finished product until you start being ass. (You is being used generally, not directed at the OP).

Yeah, I mean I'll watch the damn thing, but I don't like how they edited this like the biggest thing in "games journalism" and the fact that keep attacking the users with sarcastic comments is pretty awful.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I'm surprised it took this long for this thread. I thought about making it myself but was too lazy.

I really like a lot of the guys at Polygon. My love for the brother McElroy cannot be overstated. I'm also totally cool with a documentary about the making of the site. It's the tone of the whole thing that just...I dunno man. You're making a website. About videogames. There's a lot of them already, some of them real good. I dunno I'm gonna check it out but unless this site changes the way we perceive games journalism, the whole thing seems a bit serious.

I found Jim Sterlings response pretty funny

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7
@Captain_Felafel said:

Isn't this just a much more expensive, polished version of How to Build a Bomb? I mean, it's the same basic idea, right?

But they shouldn't be allowed to do this because of nerd rage. Think of the nerd rage, man. Nerd rage.
Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Thoseposers

@Captain_Felafel: Pretty much yeah, but this is wildly more dramatic and focuses on how they can't screw up because it's people's livelihood they're dealing with!

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

Someone let me know when "Polygon.com" becomes a real site and not just a subsection of the the Verge and a "Coming Soon" image.

Then maybe I'll give a shit.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coafi

@TheSouthernDandy:

Yeah, I was waiting for someone to setup the thread, so I just did instead. I also was gonna link Jim's video but since I know a lot of users hate the Sterling I left it out.

@Captain_Felafel said:

If that were the case, everyone would have approved of this. The way Jeff and the guys did it was way more humble, they didn't say "this will be the best website ever" they just showed us what they were doing, and how it was gonna be.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm totally missing something because I don't really see a problem with it. A bit serious and seemingly over dramatic, sure, but is it really anything worth getting angry about? Not to me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JasonR86

What a bunch of pretentious nonsense.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Coafi: Someone had to do it. Also this.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@TheSouthernDandy:I hadn't seen that episode yet, but LOL he used the Deadly Premonition music. Goddamn, I fucking love Jim

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@BrockNRolla said:

Someone let me know when "Polygon.com" becomes a real site and not just a subsection of the the Verge and a "Coming Soon" image.

This, on top of letting me know when they eject Brian Crecente into the sun, because that's the signal I'll need to let me know I can take the site seriously.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

I guess I'm not surprised there was internet complainery, even though I was not audience to it. Frankly I was too busy enjoying all the remixes of that trailer which I think perfectly capture the proper way to laugh at it without dismissing it:

Created by a Mr. Ryan Davis I believe.

Its probably safe to bet that something interesting and ultimately constructive will come from Polygon so I don't think their grandiose tone is wholly unearned. However I don't think its unfair to say everyone would rather have a more down-to-earth tone and style of documentary about the site. After all we're talking about individuals who tweet about pizza and get drunk on the weekends. I think the semi-busted nature of How to Build a Bomb was the perfect way to get people excited and let people know, yeah that's how we do it.

I will say that some of this is likely a product of a lot of documentarians latching themselves to the games industry. Penny Arcade and Double Fine are doing it, and I bet there's a lot of interest in that area right now so no surprise its getting all professional and the like. As a result it looks like this instead of a hand camcorder pointed at a basement.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By AssInAss

I'm surprised this is the first thread on this, because the whole Giant Bomb staff has been taking the piss of it with their remixed trailers.

Brad

Vinny

Ryan

Patrick

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sign

@BaconGames: I am partial to this one by Brad

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inkerman

@YI_Orange said:

I admittedly haven't seen the reaction from some people (the internet can overreact...a lot), but I reckon it's pretty fair to call these guys out on what appears to be a pretty pretentious trailer. I don't usually give a shit about this stuff but it did make me think "wow, that was way out of character for Justin McElroy". And I really did think to myself about whether I was going to follow the site if that's the kind of content they're producing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi

@Hailinel said:

@BrockNRolla said:

This, on top of letting me know when they eject Brian Crecente into the sun, because that's the signal I'll need to let me know I can take the site seriously.

Well... Gerstmann is pro murder slingshot. Just saying....

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wjb

I'll watch it because I frequent Polygon, but yeah, it's a little too serious when all you're talking about is video games press. The tone, at least, appears like they're trying to "change the world" one article at a time. It's an exercise in narcissism, and it doesn't help when they're the ones funding the project (I'm assuming), but whatever, it looks nice!

I'm hoping the actual series is a lot more light-hearted than the teaser and trailer, because "people losin' jobs" isn't much of a dramatic hook since people (especially the gaming press) lose their jobs all the time, but always end up okay. I'm sure Polygon will be okay for at least a few years, worst-case. It's not exactly "I've spent my entire livelihood working on a game non-stop for four years, and if I don't succeed, I'm ruined because I've sacrificed everything."

As long as they don't bury it into the ground like Penny Arcade does -- which they won't -- I have no huge issue with it. Penny Arcade's "documentary" was cool at first, but it's been going nowhere for a while. Every episode involving PAX is some nerd cry-fest where nerds seem to one-up each other with "Who can tell the worst story and how PA 'saved their lives' just so they can get a hug from Mike?"

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@AssInAss: I think you have Brad's and Ryan's reversed.

@BabyChooChoo: I can see why people wouldn't like him but I think the guy's hilarious. Justin McElroy thought the video was pretty funny too.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm

I think it's awesome. Polygon's content and quality is completely unmatched, and it seems like they're lauching a website with insane ambitions. The only people that are on their level is Ben Kuchera and Patrick Klepek.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShaggE

How to Build a 'Gon.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Animasta

awww no one posted the twisted pixel one which was the funniest one

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By aurahack

So, the internet is upset at a group of people making a documentary about something they love and using it to do something they think is worthwhile? Well shit, better call the Pretentious Police because we have a class one situation here. Fuck, better call the Elitist Riot Squad, too.

Grow up. If you do not like it, then do not watch it. You have no reason, none whatsoever, to criticise them for what they are doing as it has absolutely no effect on you. Saying they're taking this "too seriously" or being too "pretentious" about the ordeal shows just how much you lack in understanding about how much it means to those guys to do what they do. Whether you agree with the attitude or not, it is that kind of dedication that gets you into the positions they are in.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Samaritan

@Coafi said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

If that were the case, everyone would have approved of this. The way Jeff and the guys did it was way more humble, they didn't say "this will be the best website ever" they just showed us what they were doing, and how it was gonna be.

You're not wrong. But, the outrage to this thing is unproportional to the pretentiousness shown in their video.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AssInAss

@Animasta said:

Definitely the funniest one. Sherlock Holmes SPOILERS!

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sissylion

Yo, dogs, I'm going to clear something up for you right now:

This is Polygon. Some dudes who care about video games and are also kind of goofy.

The Press Reset trailer is a marketing tool. It's not about the company, it's about branding and advertisement. The production values and Molyneux-esque talk about "innovation" and the like is designed so that people who don't know/care about video games will be willing to watch the series. Internet Explorer obviously put some money into the feature and they obviously aren't going to let these guys shoot something as esoteric and janky as How to Build a Bomb was. Polygon is complying because they want the attention that the documentary will bring them.

So quit freaking out, yo. These are totally normal people who want to do something a little different with video game journalism that made a trailer that's kind of silly and pretentious.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By triumvir

The internet, shockingly, has blown this way out of proportion, but I can't say I disagree with the core sentiment: the tone they strike is pompous, presumptuous, and totally lacking in perspective.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew

This site is best viewed in Internet Explorer.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Coafi

@sissylion: Exactly, that's exactly what I expected something that shows off more of their personalities so I could know why these guys work in this business. I get why it's being done this way, but since it's being edited by their crew they should be more light hearted about it. I anticipate the first episode after all this is just a preview, but if it's all going to be this way I'm probably not going to watch. I'm not mad at all, I'm just bummed out.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@sissylion: I don't think anyone on Giant Bomb is freaking out. The rage on the general internet is totally stupid, as it almost always is, but I think the negative backlash is totally understandable. You say the trailer isn't for us, it's for people who don't care about video games, but if that's the case, why would they even remotely care about a website about video games? It doesn't make any sense. You're right those are some goofy hilarious dudes (not to mention some of them talented) but none of that comes across anywhere in that trailer.

It's all about the tone of what they're presenting, they can make something high quality and well produced, that's not when anyone is reacting to. It's the idea that they're working on something new and revolutionary when really...it's a video game website. Again, I love some of those guys and I'm gonna watch it. But the reaction they got is not surprising in the least.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tsiro

@aurahack said:

So, the internet is upset at a group of people making a documentary about something they love and using it to do something they think is worthwhile? Well shit, better call the Pretentious Police because we have a class one situation here. Fuck, better call the Elitist Riot Squad, too.

Grow up. If you do not like it, then do not watch it. You have no reason, none whatsoever, to criticise them for what they are doing as it has absolutely no effect on you. Saying they're taking this "too seriously" or being too "pretentious" about the ordeal shows just how much you lack in understanding about how much it means to those guys to do what they do. Whether you agree with the attitude or not, it is that kind of dedication that gets you into the positions they are in.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. And heck, I'm pretty interested in seeing it. Get hype!

P.S. It's not "Polygon making a documentary about Polygon", it sounds like Vox Media (the media arm of the parent company) wanted to do this documentary, and so that's why they're doing this.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By myke_tuna

@sissylion said:

The Press Reset trailer is a marketing tool. It's not about the company, it's about branding and advertisement. The production values and Molyneux-esque talk about "innovation" and the like is designed so that people who don't know/care about video games will be willing to watch the series. Internet Explorer obviously put some money into the feature and they obviously aren't going to let these guys shoot something as esoteric and janky as How to Build a Bomb was. Polygon is complying because they want the attention that the documentary will bring them.

I'm actually totally cool with the trailer and all of that. I do find it a bit too dramatic, but I figured the reason was, as you said, to get people to watch the series. But if someone doesn't care/know about video games, why the hell would they watch a series (that seems like it's going to be a bit too serious) about making a website about video games? It's like all those series that are advertised in commercials about a certain product. Like the refrigerator commercial that tries to goad you to watch the web series about some dude making sure some refrigerator full of food stays fresh as its being delivered. Why would I ever watch that? Even if I like the fridge/brand?

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sissylion

@TheSouthernDandy: @myketuna: Do you all really not comprehend the merits of watching a documentary on a subject you aren't interested in? A great deal of people don't care about racing, and that doesn't keep the movie-going population from coming to a consensus that Senna is one of the best documentaries of recent years.

Documentaries don't only exist to reinforce taste and opinions. They're there to educate and persuade. If a trailer for a documentary series about some video game journalists is well-produced (which it is) and seems interesting to some people, a disinterest in game journalism isn't going to stop some of them.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Milkman

I don't get it. What's the story? "We hired this guy from this site. And then we hired this guy from this site. And THEN we hired this other guy from this OTHER site." How is that grounds for a documentary? And what exactly about Polygon has "never been done before?" A documentary about Giant Bomb would actually be interesting. There's a lot to tell there but from what I can see, this is going to be boring as fuck. 

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By myke_tuna

@sissylion: I see your point. Though I still think this is more for advertising than anything, if it's good enough, I can see how someone would watch it. I've seen many documentaries about things I'm not interested in.

Eh, you won me over.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By ThePickle

Criticizing a trailer is something game journalists do very frequently. Hell, Justin McElroy went on a rant because of the cover of Call of Juarez: The Cartel. He hadn't played the game yet, mind you, he just flipped because of the cover of the game, and the concept of a Call of Juarez game set in present day. Jeff and Patrick took issue with that latest Brothers in Arms fiasco trailer and concept. We all look at movie trailers and say "that looks dumb, not going to see it, that looks going, seeing it." So the thing of "it's just a trailer guys" rings hollow. Has there ever been a trailer for something where the end result was a complete 180 tonally?

That said, I think the trailer was a lot more bearable than the teaser. But again, it's treating Polygon like it's some earth shattering world wide phenomenon, when really it's just another video game website with a dash of personality. It's been done.

We believe the time is right for a media revolution.

Are you just trying to get people to hate you? Seriously, you can't make these kinds of claims and not have a website. And, yes, I understand the website is being built and the documentary will cover that. Aside from that being weird (has a film's making-of ever preceded the film itself?) it also means claims like this can be made ad nauseum and they won't be held accountable for the time being, so they basically mean nothing. Nothing Polygon has done suggests it will be a revolution. Will it be a site I frequent and enjoy? Most likely. But is it going to change the vast media landscape? Doubt it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I don't understand is how nobody from Polygon seem self aware enough to see how terrible these trailers are. I feel so waja just from watching them, I can't fathom how cringe inducing it must be to see yourself in that garbage.

I seldom enjoy Jim Sterling, but that vid was a slice of fried gold. Excellent use of Deadly Premonition music.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@sissylion: Of course, that absolutely happens, but to say that a web mini-series about the creation of a video game website is made to attract people who don't care about video games seems kinda crazy. Anyway, trying to convince me that it's a good thing is a waste of time cause like I said, I'm gonna watch it and I think it's cool they're making it. I rarely will dump on something somebody decides to create unless I have a good reason. That doesn't change the fact that the tone of the whole thing, especially when you have guys as funny as the McElroys, seems overly serious for what it is they're doing. It's not the worst thing ever, it doesn't deserve the amount of hate that it got. But the people saying it comes across a little bit pretentious have a point. If the website launches and totally changes the way we view game journalism, then they have every right to be talking about it the way they do. If it comes out and it's just a really great game website...then to call it a revolution sounds silly.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Oldirtybearon

that teaser. Just. Wow. What a fucking circle jerk.

And I like most of those guys. They're good at what they do. But that tone was way too fucking self-serious and navel gazing to illicit anything but "fuck off" in response.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThePickle said:

Are you just trying to get people to hate you?

Just wait until they start referring to the staff as "The New Tribe"

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sissylion

@TheSouthernDandy: I totally agree that it's too much. A lot of the trailer comes off as arrogant, and the scene with the guy getting tattooed tried way too hard. But, again, I say that as a guy who knows a thing or two about video games.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Barrock

@wjb said:

I'll watch it because I frequent Polygon, but yeah, it's a little too serious when all you're talking about is video games press. The tone, at least, appears like they're trying to "change the world" one article at a time. It's an exercise in narcissism, and it doesn't help when they're the ones funding the project (I'm assuming), but whatever, it looks nice!

I'm hoping the actual series is a lot more light-hearted than the teaser and trailer, because "people losin' jobs" isn't much of a dramatic hook since people (especially the gaming press) lose their jobs all the time, but always end up okay. I'm sure Polygon will be okay for at least a few years, worst-case. It's not exactly "I've spent my entire livelihood working on a game non-stop for four years, and if I don't succeed, I'm ruined because I've sacrificed everything."

As long as they don't bury it into the ground like Penny Arcade does -- which they won't -- I have no huge issue with it. Penny Arcade's "documentary" was cool at first, but it's been going nowhere for a while. Every episode involving PAX is some nerd cry-fest where nerds seem to one-up each other with "Who can tell the worst story and how PA 'saved their lives' just so they can get a hug from Mike?"

If Penny Arcade saved your life... I'm sorry but you're probably fucked.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By myke_tuna

@TeflonBilly said:

@ThePickle said:

Are you just trying to get people to hate you?

Just wait until they start referring to the staff as "The New Tribe"

I cannot wait for this moment now.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@sissylion: Yeah agreed, maybe someone not as into games and knows who all these dudes are an stuff will see it differently. I'm betting (hoping) the actual series is truer to what those guys are like.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By recroulette
@Animasta said:

Yeah, this video makes the whole thing worthwhile, I couldn't stop laughing at it. Seriously though, who cares, let them do their thing. 
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm

@Hailinel said:

@BrockNRolla said:

I guess you guys haven't been doing your basic research, because this is leading up to the site launch, which is why they're doing it.