#251 Posted by SamDrugbringer (1099 posts) -

Why are people losing their minds over this? Game coverage these days is all about the cult of personality. Of course they're going to try to foster it there, it'd just good business.

#252 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

@SamDrugbringer said:

Why are people losing their minds over this? Game coverage these days is all about the cult of personality. Of course they're going to try to foster it there, it'd just good business.

I think the current concern is over the fact that MS gave Polygon three quarters of a million dollars for a self-congratulating documentary series about the creation of a website.

Giant Bomb pulled off the same with any expenses being taken from their initial investment budget. And it didn't come off in such an absurd manner.

#253 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19140 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ: $750 grand for a self-congratulating documentary series?

What the fuck?

Yep:

Wonder what Microsoft expects from the documentary to put in such a great investment.

#254 Posted by Hailinel (22695 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel said:

What the fuck?

Yep:

Wonder what Microsoft expects from the documentary to put in such a great investment.

If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't put that sort of investment into a new game journalism site (or rather, a documentary series about said game journalism site) unless I expected a lot of favorable coverage coming my way. It's like Arthur is perfectly happy that people might consider him a lapdog now.

#255 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: have not watched the doc, but there was a lot of IE9 in the trailer

#256 Posted by wjb (1551 posts) -

Not surprising because the entire series is brought to us by IE9. Wonder how many people at Polygon use Chrome instead...

The series has been kind of boring so far; don't really care about the marketing aspects.

#257 Posted by YOUNGLINK (522 posts) -

The Polygon people do seem a bit " up their own asses" with this one. Then again they are trying something relatively new with their layout and I aint gonna hate. Just seems like they are in love with themselves which rubs people the wrong way I guess.

#258 Posted by Snail (8465 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel said:

What the fuck?

Yep:

If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't put that sort of investment into a new game journalism site (or rather, a documentary series about said game journalism site) unless I expected a lot of favorable coverage coming my way. It's like Arthur is perfectly happy that people might consider him a lapdog now.

From what I gather, Microsoft wants to market IE9 to an audience they want to win over, and it seems they think this is a good way of doing it. However, marketing has never been Microsoft's strong point, and this is another glaring example of it. However, it is sadly far from the being the most humiliating, cringe-worthy one.

#259 Posted by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -

$750,000...does explain why it's pretty well put together.

I think it's been pretty interesting so far, but I do feel like having it in such episodic chunks is a detriment. They kind of skirt the surface of problems which I wish they would go a bit more in detail.

#260 Posted by AmatureIdiot (980 posts) -

Huh, Microsoft paying Polygon $750,000 for basically a free advertisement of Polygon, where Polygon will then review/discuss Microsoft products sure sounds pretty shady to me.

#261 Posted by Zereta (1353 posts) -

Why would you spend so much money... on a self-promoting documentary that most of your audience probably doesn't give a crap about?

You're a games press outlet. Your formation, your story is the same as any other new games press outlets that have popped up in recent years.

In fact, a "documentary" should be about establishing a link with your audience and developing yourselves as personalities that the gamers can relate to and listen to your opinions, not highlighting yourself as some strike force of games "journalists" and putting yourselves on a pedestal.

The only other games press documentary I can think of is "How to build a bomb" and that, in my opinion, is how you do it. Raw and honest. Not staged, not acted.

#262 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

Fuck you haters. I would suck a dick for $750k.

#263 Posted by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

Its a boring documentary, really, so far. Not enough McElroy. Seems like a waste.

Polygon is kind of losing me a bit. I don't like the style of the current site, don't have much hope in the actual site, and I'm not seeing enough McElroy.

As for them being paid to make the documentary- being that Russ Pitts is involved I am not surprised in the least. Don't really care much either. Take it where you can get it, I say.

Rage on internet.

#264 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -

I thought this was a silly idea at first, but I just shrugged it off. Now that I hear about the $750,000 investment from Microsoft, I'm wondering what MS' is getting out of this.

#265 Posted by SSully (4059 posts) -

The whole microsoft funding thing is pretty damn great since Arthur gets so much shit on twitter for being a Microsoft fanboy. I think its bullshit, but damn does that fuel a pretty hilarious fire.

#266 Posted by crithon (2574 posts) -

it's like watching a bad indie film.