• 0 results
#1 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

EDIT:

They both totally did do a million times better then the Microsoft conference.
I would actually give Nintendo the win if I really had to choose.
Sony would have won it for me if they did not have that boring 1st hour. 
on a scale from one to ten I'd give Nintendo a 9 Sony a 8.5 and Microsoft a 5

#2 Posted by masterpaperlink (1829 posts) -

My expectations were extremely low for this, knowing about kinect etc.. Microsoft managed to do worse than what i was prepared for (in terms of game news, for entertinment i give it a 10). For me, there was about 30 seconds of genuinely exciting stuff, those being halo space combat and watermelon chopping, the rest just seemed like the same old stuff. I am looking forward to seeing what nintendo has to offer, my expectations are high, don't dissapoint me nintendo. I know you will though.

#3 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -

Sony announced Connekt and Nintendo announced Zelda Kart.

#4 Posted by Insectecutor (1176 posts) -

Water melon chopping is exciting. Video games.

#5 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -

Excited about Sony since there's probably less stuff to cover about Move than Kinect which means more time for games, and they have a nice selection this year. 
Excited about Nintendo for 3DS. 

Microsoft sucked.

#6 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

the MS press conference was shit, but saying "sony will have move stuff but also killzone 3 and infamous 2", its not like MS didnt have Reach and Gears 3, and Fable 3, and Rising. Gears 3 live demo looked really good actually, of course the diluge of Kinect shit after is making everyone go batshit insane with criticism.

Oh and before you say "but we knew about Reach and Gears and Fable"...well, dont we already know about KZ3, and Infamous, and Motorstorm?

I actually think sony WILL be a lot better than MS, just fucking get your facts straight is all :)

#7 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

Not yet.

Sony still has to deliver on the Move, and Nintendo has yet to show off 3DS and The Last Story (and Zelda).

#8 Edited by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Best bit:  Fable 3 (not saying much)
Worst bit:  Bad Script Reading Sisters (almost unbearable)

Edit:  On second thoughts, publicly bribing every games journo at the show might have been both the best and worst bit.

#9 Posted by MAST (726 posts) -

Yeah, pretty much. The biggest things Microsoft had at their conference was new platforms Natal - Kinect (which looks pretty weak), and the new slim model. As well as some timed exclusive deals (big woop). I mean I guess Fable 3 and Gears of War 3 were announced, but those are kinda known quantities. Nothing major. 

I just think it's sad that Microsoft had to use a slim announcement to pad out their conference. Sony didn't have to do that. They didn't announce the slim model, and the huge price drop at E3 if I'm remembering correctly. It happened at some odd time in the year (September/August?). It just feels like Microsoft is getting desperate, and throwing money at people, and companies to try and stay in the race. That way they can say "Hey, look at all this sleek new hardware! Aren't we cooler then everybody else!? Oh, and look! Timed exclusives! Don't you just love us!?!"

#10 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

There's no way they could do worst than microsoft, only if nintendo didn't show the new zelda but thats obviously not going to happen.

#11 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

Well, you can't have two winners. Sony will probably be the best.

ESPN was cool, MGSR was fucking awesome, and that's about it.

@Jimbo said:

Bad Script Reading Sisters (almost unbearable) "

Yes, I wanted to change the channel.
#12 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

If/when, Nintendo show the new Zelda, they have won hands down for me. Nothing Sony have got comes close to Zelda. Unless it's MGS 5...

#13 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@MAST said:
" Yeah, pretty much. The biggest things Microsoft had at their conference was new platforms Natal - Kinect (which looks pretty weak), and the new slim model. As well as some timed exclusive deals (big woop). I mean I guess Fable 3 and Gears of War 3 were announced, but those are kinda known quantities. Nothing major.   I just think it's sad that Microsoft had to use a slim announcement to pad out their conference. Sony didn't have to do that. They didn't announce the slim model, and the huge price drop at E3 if I'm remembering correctly. It happened at some odd time in the year (September/August?). It just feels like Microsoft is getting desperate, and throwing money at people, and companies to try and stay in the race. That way they can say "Hey, look at all this sleek new hardware! Aren't we cooler then everybody else!? Oh, and look! Timed exclusives! Don't you just love us!?!" "
Yep broski, that's exactly what they're saying!  You figured them out.
#14 Posted by jjbiggs (80 posts) -

I was thinking the same thing. Microsoft didn't bring the thunder this year...they brought  cirque du soleil. 

However the ESPN addition to XBL is pretty awesome.

#15 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

Guess what? Mainstream press conferences are not for hardcore gamers. What did you expect?

#16 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
Yeah, that was pretty brutal.
#17 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

If Microsoft's press conference isn't the worst of the expo (including EA and Ubisoft's conferences), I'll be genuinely surprised.

"Gears of War 3 is more Gears of War, Fable III is coming out. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's spend the rest of the conference on motion controls and shovelware nobody cares about."

#18 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" the MS press conference was shit, but saying "sony will have move stuff but also killzone 3 and infamous 2", its not like MS didnt have Reach and Gears 3, and Fable 3, and Rising. Gears 3 live demo looked really good actually, of course the diluge of Kinect shit after is making everyone go batshit insane with criticism.  Oh and before you say "but we knew about Reach and Gears and Fable"...well, dont we already know about KZ3, and Infamous, and Motorstorm?  I actually think sony WILL be a lot better than MS, just fucking get your facts straight is all :) "
None of the games Microsoft showed looked any good at all.  But I really dislike Gears and Halo to begin with and while I thought Fable 2 was alright it certainly isn't anything to get excited about, so I can see how if you like crappy games you might see things differently.  As for Rising, it might end up being a good character action game but it's got a long way to go to show me that it has anything I'd want out of a Metal Gear game.  I was kind of excited for it before seeing what it actually is, now I've got no interest at all.  Plus, that whole business about it coming to PS3 as well, so you might want to check your facts as well.

I don't see any way for Nintendo or Sony to fail harder than Microsoft just did.  Not even if Nintendo recycled their Wii Music presser to announce The Legend of Zelda: Wii Music 2.
#19 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Probably. But we'll see. I can't imagine either screwing up more than Microsoft though. 

I'd like to hear the crew's thoughts on this demonish conference...

#20 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Best bit:  Fable 3 (not saying much) Worst bit:  Bad Script Reading Sisters (almost unbearable) "
Yes, that part almost made my ears bleed. It was so awkward. 

Overall, not a very good conference. I found Kinect to work a lot better than I thought it would though. Which is good. 
#21 Posted by Castro (950 posts) -

Yeah, I'm thinking that Nintendo is going to handily win just by showing Zelda and the 3DS. Sony would have to have a pretty huge card up their sleeve but it is possible for them to wow. Move has already been shown off in great detail and their other big push is 3D. I can't imagine that the 3D would go over too well during the conference so I doubt that they'll spend too much time on it. Hopefully we'll get tons of information about The Last Guardian but I just can't imagine what else they could do.

Of course, the vitality sensor could turn out to be more horrible than anyone imagined and negate all of the positivity from Zelda and the 3DS.

#22 Posted by Gruff182 (851 posts) -

Your probably right, though I bet Sonys is a load of shit too. Due to all their new waggle bollocks.

But, yeah. Sony needs to show a bit of InFamous 2 and a sound clip of Nathan drakes voice to win. By a landslide.

#23 Edited by Kibblez (702 posts) -

I think everyone complaining about what Microsoft just showed must be incredibly stupid. You can bitch all you want about how they only showed sequels and games you already knew existed, but face it: they looked great and you'll play them regardless. If you're fan of any of the 'core' games showed, I'm pretty damn sure you'll gonna be happy when they all release in the next 12 months. Don't act all shocked when they start showing sequels to big-name games.

The Kinetic stuff looked really impressive too. I can SORT OF understand people going "OMG IT'S JUST ALL CASUAL STUFF!!" -- but come on, what did you expect? ESPECIALLY how they're the first instances of games that will demonstrate the hardware's potential. That Kinect version of Forza will by no means be as precise and deep as what you've come to expect from that series proper, but I feel that's missing the point completely.

I think a lot of people are expecting Kinetic to be way more domineering in terms of how you spend your game time, when really those expectations should be way different (at least for people on these forums). Some of that is down to hype and marketing, but still..it's a matter of realistic expectations. And when you think about it like that, what they shown looked cool. There's also no way in hell that you would even WANT to have perfectly working Kinect functionality in Gears 3, even if it worked - because no one who cares about that game (or similar games) would play it that way regardless!

Yeah the fitness demo went on a lil too long and the corny trash-talking was pretty unbearable...but is that anything new? Of course not. You have to remove that barrier and just focus on what they actually shown..and while it not may be 100% original, it looks as if it works as intended.

So whether you wanna fork out whatever the price it will be for Kinetic is entirely up to you. But it certainly doesn't mean you can't sit down with a controller and play all the 'core' games you know and love that were shown before all the Kinect stuff. People are reacting like Microsoft will suddenly abandon their first and third party 'core' games, WHEN THEY QUITE SIMPLY WILL NOT! RECOGNIZE!!

#24 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -
@Kibblez: I think most people are just disappointed that there weren't many games shown, not because they're all sequels we knew about.
#25 Posted by Tebbit (4447 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Best bit:  Fable 3 (not saying much)

Edit:  On second thoughts, publicly bribing every games journo at the show might have been both the best and worst bit. "
It might be blatant bribery, but I am fucking green with envy. That new 360 looks pretty swanky. It's weird that now the PS3 is matte and the Xbox is a fingerprint magnet. How times change.
#26 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

EA might well have the best show this year. Microsoft's was terrible, Sony's tends to be mad boring, Nintendo's is just hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Leaving EA, which actually has some games it can show. What a turn of events. Microsoft was by far the best show of '09 and now it's most likely the worst of '10, 'tut, 'tut, 'tut.

#27 Edited by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@trophyhunter:  So if Sony tells us about their already announced titles it will be more informative than when Microsoft told us about their already announced titles?

For me the game information was actually pretty exciting, particularly the Gear 3 and Halo:Reach stuff. I'm kind of unexcited about Kinect (I keep wanting to call it Natal). The real highlight was having the confirmation of that new 360 with built in wi-fi. I will certainly be picking one of those up.

Sony's conference is going to be virtually the exact same just replace Kinect with Move and Halo:Reach with Killzone 3. I don't see how Microsoft screwed up. They had a press conference and released information to the press. Kind of what those are for.
#28 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I could see both Sony and Nintendo blowing it just as badly, though I don't think it's particularly likely.

#29 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -

the new xbox model is enough for me

#30 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Even though whatever Sony and Nintendo has makes no difference to me as a 360 guy, yeah, it's impossible for the other two of the big three to bring less to the table than Microsoft did. I couldn't be less jazzed. No surprises, no shocking announcements, no excitement whatsoever. C'mon Valve, save E3 for me!

#31 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -
@mazik765: It will probably be more Uncharted 3 than Killzone 3 (hopefully, OH GOD PLEASE). I think they will spend less time on Move than Microsoft did with Kinect though, since there is less to show. Just show that it works, show some games for it, and move on leaving more time for the games! At least that's what I hope will happen.
#32 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Sony can still pull it off but I doubt Nintendo can really do anything. 'And here's a new Zelda, exactly like the old Zelda, only this time you ride a stagecoach instead of Epona! Mucho dinero, por favor!'

#33 Posted by Otrebor (86 posts) -

Is it just me or MGS RIsing gameplay looked like that horrible Afro Samurai game?

#34 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -
@trophyhunter: Agreed, Did Microsoft even announce anything?
#35 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -

Oh, come on, it wasn't that bad.
I thought the Harmonix game looked awesome.

#36 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" @Kibblez: I think most people are just disappointed that there weren't many games shown, not because they're all sequels we knew about. "
yeah i got no problem with sequels it's just they should have shown like 7 more
#37 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" There is no possible way Sony or Nintendo could be worse than what I just watched. They both just have to show like two actual games to beat the 360 conference.  Hell Nintendo showing just the new zelda game would be better than the whole 360 conference. Sony will have it's fair share of move crap, but it'll also have infamous2 and killzone 3 all that stuff.  "
Oh show two "actual" games? Like Gears 3 and Halo: Reach? What about Metal Gear: Rising, or Call of Duty? Not to mention all the other cool games, but you know, those aren't "actual" games. Christ people, stop hating. 
#38 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious:  haha yeah the Killzone 3 was just an example of a big name Sony title. I imagine Uncharted 3 will be there if Sony likes to make money (which they probably do). I just meant that Sony is just going to tel us what they have, talk it up, then everyone will leave. Same with Nintendo's. Kinect was the product everyone was most curious about, thus it got the most time. I don't really see how they screwed up by giving the press information on their products at a press conference.
#39 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Kibblez: I don't care that they showed sequels we already know about, I care because they only showed us either a trailer or 5 minutes of gameplay and the rest of the show was that Kinect crap.
#40 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
It seems mindboggling to me that Microsoft actually expects the Kinect to not be a complete flop.
#41 Posted by SadPatrol (499 posts) -

I'm gonna run into my brothers room every 5 minutes and yell XBOX OFF. Just to annoy him. This is why kinect will fail.
#42 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

Overall, I feel 2010 will be a better year for gaming than 2009 was.  With all of this motion control bullshit, people announced and showed most of what they had before E3.  E3 this year will probably continue to be fairly shitty (Sony will be full of move games and 3D)  What I am getting at is a shitty E3 =/= a shitty year for gaming. 

Blame motion control for shitty press conferences.  

#43 Posted by indians34521 (46 posts) -

It felt like I was watching nintendo's 09 e3. Too much, sorry to use these terms, casual games and nothing really NEW. We knew about halo, fable, gears of war. Espn is kinda cool and I like the new slim 360, living in a place that wireless internet is my only option right now, but still microsoft. I was waiting for someone to come out and show off a vituality sensor. And skittles is this years milo. DO the animals mature and then eventual turn their backs on you and attack you? That could be a fun game.
#44 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" It seems mindboggling to me that Microsoft actually expects the Kinect to not be a complete flop. "
Everyone that knows about it, does not want it because there's already a wii out there. 
Then the people that don't know about ((the actual people that would be into it)) don't care
#45 Posted by BrandNameCommercial (56 posts) -

Not enough games that didn't have the word Kinect haphazardly thrown in them.

#46 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Overall, I feel 2010 will be a better year for gaming than 2009 was.  With all of this motion control bullshit, people announced and showed most of what they had before E3.  E3 this year will probably continue to be fairly shitty (Sony will be full of move games and 3D)  What I am getting at is a shitty E3 =/= a shitty year for gaming.   Blame motion control for shitty press conferences.   "

No no no 2010 will be a fantastic year for game inspite of all this motion control bullshit.
believe me there are some great games coming this year
#47 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@SadPatrol said:
" I'm gonna run into my brothers room every 5 minutes and yell XBOX OFF. Just to annoy him. This is why kinect will fail. "
That is a fucking great idea
#48 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1639 posts) -
@mutha3: You never really know what will catch on with the casual audiences though. There is definitely the chance that this could generate some interest, but the casual audience is such a fickle bunch that it's difficult to predict what they'll take an interest in. Personally, I'm gonna go with your theory because peripherals never catch on... 
#49 Posted by BackpackKat (462 posts) -

All sony needs is one "giant enemy crab" moment and they could tie MS. If nintendo brings back the never girl they will automatically win
#50 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

agreed. Nintendo will just win with Zelda.