#1 Edited by believer258 (11991 posts) -

There's a Giantbomb PC gaming group which is headed by AhmadMetallic and is fantastically well done. They play and organize events for many different multiplayer games in several different genres. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no such thing for the Xbox 360 duders out there. I'd like to fix this and would gladly organize it myself if I can get some support, help, and of course some players to come and play.

There are some issues that I can think of right off of the top of my head. The first, and most prominent of these, is that the PC gaming group has Steam and Xbox 360... doesn't. Sure, Live is a good service, but it doesn't have any sort of groups or clans that I know of. It just has friends lists, and having everyone in the group befriend each other could be a bit of a hassle, and the more successful this is the more hassle that would be. Possible solutions include a Steam group of our own - which would require everyone to install and create a Steam account - or to create a Facebook group, or something similar. Either of these solutions could make announcements and organization of games much easier, but each requires people to have something other than Xbox Live, and each could have other issues tied up with them (e.g. someone might not have or want a Facebook account).

EDIT: It has been suggested by several people that I create a Giantbomb Community Xbox Live account, similar to how the TNT's gather games. To me, this coupled with a Facebook group sounds like the absolute best idea. You can create a fake Facebook account if you are uncomfortable with linking GB and FB.

/EDIT

However, that leads into another issue. Joining games. Since Live doesn't have any groups, we would have to pick one or a few people who could be depended on to both friend everyone and be involved in every single game. But then, this could be another hassle. People have lives and other business to attend to, so what if all of these people are gone doing something, or all of them have to leave at some point in the game? People couldn't join in the middle of a game. For me, personally, my internet connection works well enough most of the time but sometimes drops completely out. ARGH! This isn't easy.

Another, lesser issue is DLC. Not everyone has it all, but will those of us that do accept playing on older maps? I will, personally, but it would be a shame to, say, not play Halo Reach on the Anniversary maps. Do I just ignore those that didn't shell out the extra cash? Do I organize other games for them during game events?

Specific to one game that I'd really like to start this off with, how about Battlefield 3? Servers for that game cost, and I can't really spare much cash at the moment. A possible solution would be joining empty servers, but we can't put those to our specifications.

To wrap this all up, I have two major questions before I even start figuring out how to get this going.

  1. Are people going to play these games and support this subcommunity?
  2. Is there anyone who could help me with this rather large endeavour? (wait... why is there a red line under "endeavour"?)

Games I hope to be playing with you guys

  • Battlefield 3
  • Halo Reach
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Halo Wars
  • Trials Evolution
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Crysis 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Counter Strike Global Offensive (upon release)

...and many more exist which I don't own, but which people would be welcome to use this group to organize and start events on.

P.S. This week and next week are my final two, very busy weeks of college. This is just a preliminary thing I'm asking and I don't want to start this until next Friday when I can really put my unemployed, done with class energies into getting it up and running well.

P.P.S.I do not own a PS3, so I can't really organize a PS3 gaming group. I promise, I would if I could. If I do get this up and running well, and someone wants to do the same for PS3, feel free to ask me questions.

P.P.P.S. If AhmadMetallic, or anyone else that has experience here, happens to see this, it would be nice to hear of any unexpected issues and problems you may have had organizing the PC gaming group, and any extra hints would be nice.

#2 Posted by animathias (1190 posts) -

Just a suggestion. Make an account called GiantBombers or whatnot and have people friend it. Then they can look at the friends list of that account and see who's playing what and send friend requests, game invites, and whatnot. Worked wonderfully for a site I was involved with years ago.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

True, but I see this working much better and delivering a much tighter group of people.

@animathias said:

Just a suggestion. Make an account called GiantBombers or whatnot and have people friend it. Then they can look at the friends list of that account and see who's playing what and send friend requests, game invites, and whatnot. Worked wonderfully for a site I was involved with years ago.

Hmmm... that's a great idea, but Live accounts cost money, and I'm going to be a bit short on that for a while. If someone else was willing to do it, that would be fantastic, but again it would depend on one person being online all the time.

#5 Edited by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

True, but I see this working much better and delivering a much tighter group of people.

How so? We've been doing it this way for a while now and it has worked fine. Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck. If you want to play a specific game with the community, you can easily go to that game's forum and join by adding your info to the thread (or create one if it doesn't already exist). You mentioned Gears of War 3, which already has a community that plays together.

#6 Posted by Jeust (10738 posts) -

I don't have Gold. :(

#7 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

True, but I see this working much better and delivering a much tighter group of people.

How so? We've been doing it this way for a while now and it has worked fine. Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck. If you want to play a specific game with the community, you can easily go to that game's forum and join by adding your info to the thread (or create one if it doesn't already exist). You mentioned Gears of War 3, which already has a community that plays together.

Because with this maybe I (or someone else) could pop up and say "Hey! Be ready to play ___ on (insert date and time), we're starting that up and playing!"

I could just pop that into the community forums, you're right, but it would probably pass out of existence and people would forget about it. I'd jump into the game on the right time and date and there might only be two or three people there. With this, I can alert everyone that I'm (or someone else on a different game) planning on hosting a game, and have some sort of reminder. The community forums are fine for spontaneous gaming but not really great for planning something because it passes right out of existence.

On a final note, the PC Gaming hub could do the same thing and it seems pretty successful. Yes, I'm using that as a baseline for this because that sort of thing is what I'm looking to do. But if everyone would just rather spontaneously post something on the boards, then that's the way it will have to be.

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

True, but I see this working much better and delivering a much tighter group of people.

How so? We've been doing it this way for a while now and it has worked fine. Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck. If you want to play a specific game with the community, you can easily go to that game's forum and join by adding your info to the thread (or create one if it doesn't already exist). You mentioned Gears of War 3, which already has a community that plays together.

Because with this maybe I (or someone else) could pop up and say "Hey! Be ready to play ___ on (insert date and time), we're starting that up and playing!"

I could just pop that into the community forums, you're right, but it would probably pass out of existence and people would forget about it. I'd jump into the game on the right time and date and there might only be two or three people there. With this, I can alert everyone that I'm (or someone else on a different game) planning on hosting a game, and have some sort of reminder. The community forums are fine for spontaneous gaming but not really great for planning something because it passes right out of existence.

On a final note, the PC Gaming hub could do the same thing and it seems pretty successful. Yes, I'm using that as a baseline for this because that sort of thing is what I'm looking to do. But if everyone would just rather spontaneously post something on the boards, then that's the way it will have to be.

It won't die out because those threads are anchored to the first page of the forum it's located in. The OP sends out a mass message on Giant Bomb to set specific game nights. It doesn't pass out of existence. It works better to have people in charge of each sub committee, instead of grouping them in one hub. It just seems counter-productive.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

It won't die out because those threads are anchored to the first page of the forum it's located in. The OP sends out a mass message on Giant Bomb to set specific game nights. It doesn't pass out of existence. It works better to have people in charge of each sub committee, instead of grouping them in one hub. It just seems counter-productive.

There is no such thing for Gears of War 3, and the one for Halo Reach hasn't been updated in over a year and a half. Yes, I do agree that it would be great if other people would help and head different communities, that's part of the reason why I'm posting this. I'd like to keep it all in one place as well - again, like the PC gaming hub.

#10 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

I, personally, think this would be pretty awesome and would be willing to help in any way I can.

#11 Posted by moffattron9000 (356 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Hmmm... that's a great idea, but Live accounts cost money, and I'm going to be a bit short on that for a while. If someone else was willing to do it, that would be fantastic, but again it would depend on one person being online all the time.

I believe that you don't need the account to be gold for it to have friends. The other concern is that there is a 100 friend limit if you go down this route so you may have to create multiple accounts for this purpose

#12 Edited by kindgineer (2768 posts) -

I was thinking of picking up BF3 for the 360 when I get paid, and would love to play with some Bombers. Anyone know if it's still well populated?

EDIT: Also, if I do end up purchasing it, I would be willing to help out with a BF3 360 GB group, not lead (I'm a stay at home Dad), but definitely help out!

#13 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@david3cm said:

I, personally, think this would be pretty awesome and would be willing to help in any way I can.

@ccampb89 said:

I was thinking of picking up BF3 for the 360 when I get paid, and would love to play with some Bombers. Anyone know if it's still well populated?

EDIT: Also, if I do end up purchasing it, I would be willing to help out with a BF3 360 GB group, not lead (I'm a stay at home Dad), but definitely help out!

Awesome! Some support! Thank you!

@moffattron9000 said:

@believer258 said:

Hmmm... that's a great idea, but Live accounts cost money, and I'm going to be a bit short on that for a while. If someone else was willing to do it, that would be fantastic, but again it would depend on one person being online all the time.

I believe that you don't need the account to be gold for it to have friends. The other concern is that there is a 100 friend limit if you go down this route so you may have to create multiple accounts for this purpose

It needs to be for Gold for someone to play online. As for the 100 friend limit, that was in effect only until the original Xbox's servers were killed. After that, they either took off the limit or heightened it to an effectively unlimited number.

#14 Posted by moffattron9000 (356 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

@believer258 said:

Hmmm... that's a great idea, but Live accounts cost money, and I'm going to be a bit short on that for a while. If someone else was willing to do it, that would be fantastic, but again it would depend on one person being online all the time.

I believe that you don't need the account to be gold for it to have friends. The other concern is that there is a 100 friend limit if you go down this route so you may have to create multiple accounts for this purpose

It needs to be for Gold for someone to play online. As for the 100 friend limit, that was in effect only until the original Xbox's servers were killed. After that, they either took off the limit or heightened it to an effectively unlimited number.

Why not then just set up the account and not use it to play online. The account used for TNT at the moment never gets used to play in TNT's and you could use the accounts profile information to suggest ideal times and games to play. it's admittedly a very roundabout solution but with the current hardware setup I can't think of an better solution.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@moffattron9000 said:

@moffattron9000 said:

@believer258 said:

Hmmm... that's a great idea, but Live accounts cost money, and I'm going to be a bit short on that for a while. If someone else was willing to do it, that would be fantastic, but again it would depend on one person being online all the time.

I believe that you don't need the account to be gold for it to have friends. The other concern is that there is a 100 friend limit if you go down this route so you may have to create multiple accounts for this purpose

It needs to be for Gold for someone to play online. As for the 100 friend limit, that was in effect only until the original Xbox's servers were killed. After that, they either took off the limit or heightened it to an effectively unlimited number.

Why not then just set up the account and not use it to play online. The account used for TNT at the moment never gets used to play in TNT's and you could use the accounts profile information to suggest ideal times and games to play. it's admittedly a very roundabout solution but with the current hardware setup I can't think of an better solution.

And just leave it offline, but everyone could still join others through it? Well, all right, that sounds like it would work. Thank you for the suggestion!

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

True, but I see this working much better and delivering a much tighter group of people.

How so? We've been doing it this way for a while now and it has worked fine. Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck. If you want to play a specific game with the community, you can easily go to that game's forum and join by adding your info to the thread (or create one if it doesn't already exist). You mentioned Gears of War 3, which already has a community that plays together.

Because with this maybe I (or someone else) could pop up and say "Hey! Be ready to play ___ on (insert date and time), we're starting that up and playing!"

I could just pop that into the community forums, you're right, but it would probably pass out of existence and people would forget about it. I'd jump into the game on the right time and date and there might only be two or three people there. With this, I can alert everyone that I'm (or someone else on a different game) planning on hosting a game, and have some sort of reminder. The community forums are fine for spontaneous gaming but not really great for planning something because it passes right out of existence.

On a final note, the PC Gaming hub could do the same thing and it seems pretty successful. Yes, I'm using that as a baseline for this because that sort of thing is what I'm looking to do. But if everyone would just rather spontaneously post something on the boards, then that's the way it will have to be.

It won't die out because those threads are anchored to the first page of the forum it's located in. The OP sends out a mass message on Giant Bomb to set specific game nights. It doesn't pass out of existence. It works better to have people in charge of each sub committee, instead of grouping them in one hub. It just seems counter-productive.

I'm gonna guess and say that you don't actually play within any of the organized game communities that have the pinned threads you speak of. Because if you did you'd know that, and I'm only speculating here based on PC experience, they're probably pretty dead. 
We have Steam (group webpage with calendars and a list of members and what they're playing), Battlelog (platoons, com center), a dedicated voice server and a mIRC chatroom to keep this thing alive. I schedule new events all the time, have to post reminded pop-ups, ask people to gang up on our BF3 server so we can jump start a game, and more.   
If I neglect it a single day, things don't happen. 
 
I really doubt that the Gears thread for example which consists of a list of xbox gamertags allows people to simply get together and play. People are busy playing Skyrim, listening to the bombcast and watching the superbowl, unless you keep a steady system that revolves around a steady group, you will get randomness and things always slowly die out. 
 
So no, what believer is doing here is exactly what's needed for a multi-gaming community like Giant Bomb's to actually play together more than the initial three times. I humbly tell you that the PC gaming hub group and all of its "clusterfuck" glory caused thee best giant bomb community gaming scene since the website started. 
I doubt a console will allow the freedom and consistency that the PC allows with its dedicated assets and ingame-web functionality, but best of luck to you believer!
#17 Posted by moffattron9000 (356 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@moffattron9000 said:

@moffattron9000 said:

@believer258 said:

Hmmm... that's a great idea, but Live accounts cost money, and I'm going to be a bit short on that for a while. If someone else was willing to do it, that would be fantastic, but again it would depend on one person being online all the time.

I believe that you don't need the account to be gold for it to have friends. The other concern is that there is a 100 friend limit if you go down this route so you may have to create multiple accounts for this purpose

It needs to be for Gold for someone to play online. As for the 100 friend limit, that was in effect only until the original Xbox's servers were killed. After that, they either took off the limit or heightened it to an effectively unlimited number.

Why not then just set up the account and not use it to play online. The account used for TNT at the moment never gets used to play in TNT's and you could use the accounts profile information to suggest ideal times and games to play. it's admittedly a very roundabout solution but with the current hardware setup I can't think of an better solution.

And just leave it offline, but everyone could still join others through it? Well, all right, that sounds like it would work. Thank you for the suggestion!

Beyond having to accept the people wanting to join the friend list there would be no problems as people can access friends lists of accounts they are friends with regardless of online status.

#18 Posted by weegieanawrench (1941 posts) -

I have been looking for a reason to go gold again, and this would be a good one. I'd also enjoy playing with more like minded duders rather than randoms. And I'm also looking to get some more people from the community on my friends list as we play a greater variety of games than most others. I fully support this.

Michael Jamson on the Xbox. Feel free to add me, just lemme know you're from GB.

#19 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Completely right there. I helped 'run' the Gears 3 community group for around 3 months or so and although we had 130+ members, only 20 odd people chose to respond to my regular pm's, join the chat room we had set up, and play on our game nights. I very much appreciated the time and effort those few put in but in the end there wasn't enough activity for me to keep going; I offered the role of group manager to someone else but no one took it and the group 'disbanded', if you will.

Its easy to just sign up for something but staying dedicated is something entirely different. I'll admit I signed up for the PC gaming group and added a few people on steam and played a little, but then I got distracted by some new releases and recently I've ran into performance issues with my PC; thus I haven't played in ages.

To work properly it requires dedication from both the people managing it and the members themselves; not sure whether you'll get that.

#20 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

Wow. I was totally down for this, but then I realized that I only own two of those games on Xbox 360, and only intend to own two of those games for 360. I'd be down for Trials or ME3, though.

I support it, but I can't actively help you organize it, so forgive me on that regard.

(One way to consider doing this would be to have an Xbox Live Silver account with up to 100 users on its friend list, roughly the way GBTNT is currently handled.)

#21 Edited by kermoosh (911 posts) -

yea i can probably get into this. There are many limitations stated above. if you could get some type of group on some site (facebook) where there are schedules and reminders/notifications then i would be up for it. i always wanted to play with fellow duders but never bothered to check the xbox forums a second time after adding my gamertag. i own a few of the games above and would like to play them more, then theres the dlc situation like you said. I have the left 4 dead 2 dlc while none of my friends do. the schedule would have to be specific with reminders, again facebook is probably good, if people don't have one nor want one, they can make a fake account and just join the group

@Little_Socrates: yea i agree with you, a separate silver account can hold the friends list together and even send a message to all friends if something changes

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@believer258 said:

@BraveToaster said:

But, we already have community group threads in most new multiplayer game forums, it really isn't necessary to make a general gaming group for console games.

True, but I see this working much better and delivering a much tighter group of people.

How so? We've been doing it this way for a while now and it has worked fine. Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck. If you want to play a specific game with the community, you can easily go to that game's forum and join by adding your info to the thread (or create one if it doesn't already exist). You mentioned Gears of War 3, which already has a community that plays together.

Because with this maybe I (or someone else) could pop up and say "Hey! Be ready to play ___ on (insert date and time), we're starting that up and playing!"

I could just pop that into the community forums, you're right, but it would probably pass out of existence and people would forget about it. I'd jump into the game on the right time and date and there might only be two or three people there. With this, I can alert everyone that I'm (or someone else on a different game) planning on hosting a game, and have some sort of reminder. The community forums are fine for spontaneous gaming but not really great for planning something because it passes right out of existence.

On a final note, the PC Gaming hub could do the same thing and it seems pretty successful. Yes, I'm using that as a baseline for this because that sort of thing is what I'm looking to do. But if everyone would just rather spontaneously post something on the boards, then that's the way it will have to be.

It won't die out because those threads are anchored to the first page of the forum it's located in. The OP sends out a mass message on Giant Bomb to set specific game nights. It doesn't pass out of existence. It works better to have people in charge of each sub committee, instead of grouping them in one hub. It just seems counter-productive.

I'm gonna guess and say that you don't actually play within any of the organized game communities that have the pinned threads you speak of. Because if you did you'd know that, and I'm only speculating here based on PC experience, they're probably pretty dead. We have Steam (group webpage with calendars and a list of members and what they're playing), Battlelog (platoons, com center), a dedicated voice server and a mIRC chatroom to keep this thing alive. I schedule new events all the time, have to post reminded pop-ups, ask people to gang up on our BF3 server so we can jump start a game, and more. If I neglect it a single day, things don't happen. I really doubt that the Gears thread for example which consists of a list of xbox gamertags allows people to simply get together and play. People are busy playing Skyrim, listening to the bombcast and watching the superbowl, unless you keep a steady system that revolves around a steady group, you will get randomness and things always slowly die out. So no, what believer is doing here is exactly what's needed for a multi-gaming community like Giant Bomb's to actually play together more than the initial three times. I humbly tell you that the PC gaming hub group and all of its "clusterfuck" glory caused thee best giant bomb community gaming scene since the website started. I doubt a console will allow the freedom and consistency that the PC allows with its dedicated assets and ingame-web functionality, but best of luck to you believer!

Well, you guessed wrong, I've been a part of a few of those communities. And yes, that Gears of War thread has a list of people who want to play, but as I stated, the person in charge of the community would send out a mass PM to discuss the game night details etc. And if you reread my posts, you'll notice that I didn't call the PC gaming hub group a clusterfuck.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

Well, you guessed wrong, I've been a part of a few of those communities. And yes, that Gears of War thread has a list of people who want to play, but as I stated, the person in charge of the community would send out a mass PM to discuss the game night details etc. And if you reread my posts, you'll notice that I didn't call the PC gaming hub group a clusterfuck.

Ideally, I understand how the thread/PM stuff works. What I'm saying is that in practice, it always fades away and dies out like that. I've seen it happen tens of time before, tons of members tried to make stuff happen for multiplayer games, it all cools off way too soon. Which is why you're saying "I've been a part" not "I am a part." 
Also you misunderstood me, I was referencing this post: 
@BraveToaster  said: 

Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck. 

 
@IkariNoTekken  said: 

@AhmadMetallic: Completely right there. I helped 'run' the Gears 3 community group for around 3 months or so and although we had 130+ members, only 20 odd people chose to respond to my regular pm's, join the chat room we had set up, and play on our game nights. I very much appreciated the time and effort those few put in but in the end there wasn't enough activity for me to keep going; I offered the role of group manager to someone else but no one took it and the group 'disbanded', if you will.

Its easy to just sign up for something but staying dedicated is something entirely different. I'll admit I signed up for the PC gaming group and added a few people on steam and played a little, but then I got distracted by some new releases and recently I've ran into performance issues with my PC; thus I haven't played in ages.

To work properly it requires dedication from both the people managing it and the members themselves; not sure whether you'll get that.

Exactly my point. Hell if I still have events fail from time to time despite all the organization and work and scheduling and means of communication that I've provided, I doubt the individual groups that are based around "Let's get together and have a good time" survive their 5th get together.
#24 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

Sweet! It seems like I've gotten some support for this. I look forward to working on this after college ends next week!

@animathias, @david3cm, @moffattron9000, @ccampb89, @weegieanawrench, @IkariNoTekken, @Little_Socrates, @kermoosh, @BraveToaster

I've created a free Xbox Live account by the name of GiantBomb360. Unfortunately, I can't play on it much at the moment (maybe a match or two of something), but I can leave it on and will check it for friend requests every little while. I'll also start a new thread for this. So, come on, join up and get some games going!

@AhmadMetallic said:

best of luck to you believer!

Thank you for the encouragement!

#25 Edited by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BraveToaster said:

Well, you guessed wrong, I've been a part of a few of those communities. And yes, that Gears of War thread has a list of people who want to play, but as I stated, the person in charge of the community would send out a mass PM to discuss the game night details etc. And if you reread my posts, you'll notice that I didn't call the PC gaming hub group a clusterfuck.

Ideally, I understand how the thread/PM stuff works. What I'm saying is that in practice, it always fades away and dies out like that. I've seen it happen tens of time before, tons of members tried to make stuff happen for multiplayer games, it all cools off way too soon. Which is why you're saying "I've been a part" not "I am a part."
Also you misunderstood me, I was referencing this post:
@BraveToaster said:

Making one large group seems like a cluster fuck.

You do have a point. Also, I thought you referenced my post because you thought I was taking a jab at your gaming group. My mistake.