#1 Posted by Zella (753 posts) -

A couple days ago I got a call at like 8pm from EB Games(live in Canada) confirming my pre-order of GTAV, which first seemed strange seeing as how the game isn't out for a few months and I only put 5 dollars on it cause I didn't want to have some shitty 5 dollar gift card. I wouldn't have cared if that was all it was, but the clerk then started going on about how I could upgrade my pre-order to one of the special editions, annoying but it's EB/Gamestop so I expected it and he was respectful when I said I wasn't interested. What troubled me though is that he then quickly began telling me about how I could pre-order the PS4 and Xbox One, stuff that has nothing to do with my current pre-order and doesn't come out until the fall.

I'd understand if I was in store and they were trying to push this stuff on me, it's understandable they are a business and want to make more sales. I was at home though and they used the information I gave them for my pre-order to essentially give me an ad for the new consoles over my cell phone. It's totally ethically wrong but I am starting to wonder the legality of it as well, I'm sure in their ToS they have something about being able to use your info but it's still fucked up. I normally don't care about their practices because I normally use stuff like craigslist for used games, and while many of them are not super fair to the consumer they are reasonable as a business. This though pissed me off, for all they know I could have limited minutes or be roaming and a call from them trying to sell me the new consoles is pretty shitty. Has this happened to other people, sure it happened to people who also have pre-orders from my local EB but I wonder about those in the US or other parts of Canada?

#2 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

Alright, yeah -- having store clerks call you and solicit you to upgrade your preorder is kind of messed up. I'd understand for them to pitch it over the counter, but pitching it over the phone makes them almost as bad as telemarketers and that'd not cool by me.

#3 Edited by Legion_ (1283 posts) -

Whatever. They noticed you were interested enough to pre-order GTA V, and probably figured you were at least somewhat interested in gaming, possibly enough to buy a console.

#4 Edited by Zella (753 posts) -
@legion_ said:

Whatever. They noticed you were interested enough to pre-order GTA V, and probably figured you were at least somewhat interested in gaming, possibly enough to buy a console.

I get that, I would be completely fine with it if I was inside the store, hell even if I had called them but no they called me out of the blue to give me an advertisement. That's what annoys me, not the attempt to upsell but that they are using my information from one thing to try and solicit sales from me when I am at home.

#5 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

There's nothing wrong morally or legally about what they did. Places do it all the time... Try leaving your contact information with a car dealer sometime.

#6 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I would have just hung up. Also I'd put this into the laundry list of reasons I don't preorder games. There is no point in it.

#7 Edited by Legion_ (1283 posts) -

@zella: That's store chains in a nutshell. You could just tell them to fudge off.

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

Hey, Rob from EB here. We confirmed your pre-order last night, and we just wanted to know if you'd be interested in pre-ordering Call of Duty: Ghosts? That pre-order comes with a map pack and five exclusive dog breed skins for your in-game dog.

... Please? We spent a long time building up this account as a reputable member of the Giant Bomb community, and we REEEEEAAALLLY would like you to pre-order. Just one little pre-order, and we'll leave you alone, we promise. You appear to like GTAV, so maybe Saints Row 4 would tickle your pickle? You get a dubstep gun if you pre-order the special edition, y'know. Don't you want a dubstep gun? DON'T YOU WANT TO MAKE US HAPPY!? WE'VE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR YOU, ZELLA! VICTORIA IS A BIG CITY, BUT WE WILL FIND YOU AND WE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

#9 Posted by Humanity (9242 posts) -

It's probably illegal in Europe!

#10 Posted by SpaceRunaway (865 posts) -

I never get any phone calls from Amazon.

#11 Posted by Nezza (358 posts) -

I'm staggered by just how much crap consumers in North America seem to let companies get away with in comparison to the UK. There would be an outcry if some of these practices were attempted here.

I'm even more surprised that the reaction to this is that it is somewhat normal or OK in any way.

#12 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

@nezza said:

I'm staggered by just how much crap consumers in North America seem to let companies get away with in comparison to the UK. There would be an outcry if some of these practices were attempted here.

I'm even more surprised that the reaction to this is that it is somewhat normal or OK in any way.

We don't tend to "let" these things happen. Businesses over in the US draw a lot of water, consumers don't draw shit. The US is primarily a society for the support of businesses.

#13 Edited by tourgen (4500 posts) -

I would have just hung up. Also I'd put this into the laundry list of reasons I don't preorder games. There is no point in it.

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4180 posts) -

Alright, yeah -- having store clerks call you and solicit you to upgrade your preorder is kind of messed up. I'd understand for them to pitch it over the counter, but pitching it over the phone makes them almost as bad as telemarketers and that'd not cool by me.

I imagine they only did it for preorders that happened before the special editions got announced. They didn't have a chance to upsell the customer over the counter then, and if they bothered to take the time to preorder that far in advance then there is a good chance that they would want a special edition.

#15 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@equitasinvictus said:

I imagine they only did it for preorders that happened before the special editions got announced. They didn't have a chance to upsell the customer over the counter then, and if they bothered to take the time to preorder that far in advance then there is a good chance that they would want a special edition.

I suppose that would be a little more justifiable; I just think they should bring up the option when the initial preorder is made in person and prompt the customer "Yo duder, is it cool if we call you in case there's the option to upgrade or better, similar offers?" kinda like how e-mail subscriptions work when you register for a website and it comes up as a checkbox.

#16 Edited by Halfdeaf (71 posts) -

I would never just accept this. If I got a call from a retail store trying to sell me additional shit I would cancel my pre-order and buy it somewhere else. This is no better than telemarketers. If I get a call from a telemarketer I politely inform him that every second he spends trying to sell me on a product I'm less likely to buy it, if they don't get the message I hang up.