#1 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Anyone else played Dark Cloud 1 or 2? I remember playing the first one, it was a pretty good game in my opinion (you might think otherwise). Why hasn't the developer began working on Dark Cloud 3 on the PS3? Anyone else here wanting a third installment?

#2 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I played the first one, but not long enough to get all the way through. It was alright actually. I heard the second one improved it a lot. I would like to see how this game would turn out on the current consoles but I havent heard of it being announced or anything.

#3 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

2 was really gewd!!  I definitely hope they make a 3!

#4 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

I hear it's being made as a 360 exclusive.

#5 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
c1337us said:
"I played the first one, but not long enough to get all the way through. It was alright actually. I heard the second one improved it a lot. I would like to see how this game would turn out on the current consoles but I havent heard of it being announced or anything. "

That's what I heard too. I should get Dark Cloud 2 now that I think of it.

Lind_L_Taylor said:
"I hear it's being made as a 360 exclusive."

I guess that's good for 360 owners, not so much for PS3. If they wanted to stay true to their origins (PlayStation) they probably should at least do cross-platforming.
#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

All I could find is this from Wikipedia, "Dark Cloud 3 is a action role-playing game that is being developed by Level 5 exclusively for the PlayStation 3. No specific release date has been given.

#7 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -
Bucketdeth said:
"All I could find is this from Wikipedia, "Dark Cloud 3 is a action role-playing game that is being developed by Level 5 exclusively for the PlayStation 3. No specific release date has been given."
Yeah that's what I looked up on Wikipedia. Though that little piece didn't have a citation anywhere. Instead I went to Google and googled Dark Cloud 3.

Article

Apparently it's a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Only problem is that this report would be outdated as they stated it would be released March 2009. Why would you look at the time, we're already in that month!

For those who didn't read the article for whatever reason, the game isn't even confirmed by the developer as far as I'm aware.
#8 Edited by KamasamaK (2407 posts) -

I suspect/hope it'll come eventually, but no official announcement has been made.

Meteora said:

"Lind_L_Taylor said:
I guess that's good for 360 owners, not so much for PS3. If they wanted to stay true to their origins (PlayStation) they probably should at least do cross-platforming."
He's just trolling. I'd be surprised if it was even on Xbox 360 seeing as the first two were published by SCE.

#9 Posted by Joey2683 (353 posts) -

Who knows, E3 is just a few months away..

#10 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

I played the first Dark Cloud, very early game in the Ps2 software lineup. I always had heard such great things about it's sequel, I simply haven't gotten around to picking it up. I was sold on Level-5 after Dragon Quest VIII, I've wanted to go back and check out both Dark Cloud 2 and Rouge Galaxy but don't know if the investment is worth it.

#11 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
Lind_L_Taylor said:
Really? Do you remember the source of that because I havent heard anything about it. I would definately be interested in revisiting the series whether its a 360 exclusive or not.
#12 Posted by scsi_transfer (2 posts) -

Did you guys ever play Rogue Galaxy?  I realize it's not Dark Cloud 3 but....It is developed by Level-5 and it's a fantastic RPG.  Also Level-5 is currently working on White Knight Chronicles for the PS3 as their next game that's coming out.

#13 Posted by hazelnutman (1097 posts) -

Level 5 finished White Knight Chronicles (still working on localization, which is handled by some other branch team or something I assume), so a Dark Cloud 3 in production is totally possible.

Loved Dark Cloud 2, can't wait for the third installment.

Now we wait for E3...

#14 Posted by PenguinDust (12443 posts) -

DC2 was my favorite JRPG for years and is still one of my favorite games of all time in general.  I'd love to see a sequel at some point.  I just hope they take a few chances, not play it too safe and include some innovative ideas.  Some Japanese developers are a bit timid these days and I'd like to see Level 5 avoid that trap.  I don't know that much about White Knight Chronicles to say if they've already succumbed to that beyond a mild Famitsu review (7877).  So, here's to hoping a Dark Cloud sequel will be announced sometime this year.  

#15 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
Kamasama said:
"I suspect/hope it'll come eventually, but no official announcement has been made.

Meteora said:
"Lind_L_Taylor said:
I guess that's good for 360 owners, not so much for PS3. If they wanted to stay true to their origins (PlayStation) they probably should at least do cross-platforming."
He's just trolling. I'd be surprised if it was even on Xbox 360 seeing as the first two were published by SCE."
I suppose I didn't see through that. I also failed to remember it was published by SCE.

vidiot said:
"I played the first Dark Cloud, very early game in the Ps2 software lineup. I always had heard such great things about it's sequel, I simply haven't gotten around to picking it up. I was sold on Level-5 after Dragon Quest VIII, I've wanted to go back and check out both Dark Cloud 2 and Rouge Galaxy but don't know if the investment is worth it. "
I think Dark Cloud 2, because the game was released in 2003 in North America. Now it's 2009, that's 5-6 years since it came out. It should be dirt cheap now.
#16 Posted by CursaKuma (84 posts) -

I want that game to come out. :)

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Do I want a third installment?

It's the only thing that could make me change my mind about getting a PS3...besides Vagrant Story 2.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the 10 greatest games ever made.  /thread
#18 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Do I want a third installment?

It's the only thing that could make me change my mind about getting a PS3...besides Vagrant Story 2.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the 10 greatest games ever made.  /thread"
I frankly, do want to see the day of light for a third installment. Dark Cloud is a good series, it deserves the right to live on, unlike some other franchises/series. I'm looking at you, Sonic.
#19 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -

Why not just play Rogue Galaxy and pretend it's Dark Cloud 3? It's obviously the spiritual successor to the series and contains most of the elements that were present in Dark Cloud 2 -- and if they're not, they'll just give you something else to make up for it. Wanna build a town? How about you build a factory instead? Wanna play golf? How about catching some bugs and having turn-based tactical RPG battles with them? Like randomly-generated dungeons? Well, I don't, but if those are your thing, there's a huge randomly-generated dungeon you can do in the post-game that ramps up in difficulty every time you go through it (well, at least the first couple of times). Weapon synthesizing is still present as well, but it's optional now as you'll always be well-equipped if you open all the chests and you can always just buy them as well (of course, the best weapons in the game do require synthesizing).

I don't know what it is you liked about Dark Cloud 2, but Rogue Galaxy should have you covered for most of it. If you liked the steampunk/mech-customization element of it, though, try Steambot Chronicles, and since factory building doesn't completely make up for town building, I would recommend My Life as a King.

I wouldn't mind a new Dark Cloud 2/Rogue Galaxy-like game from Level-5, but it doesn't have to be a direct sequel to either of those games. I thought the original Dark Cloud was very "meh," and I quit Dark Cloud 2 about 25 hours in at the ocean cave because I got bored of spending most of my time in the menu trying to upgrade my weapon (they definitely could've streamlined the process). It was an otherwise great game, though, so maybe I'll try to get back to it someday. Rogue Galaxy was great all the way through IMO.

#20 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

I remember vaguely enjoying one of the two Dark Clouds. I was younger then, though.

#21 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
Axersia said:
"Why not just play Rogue Galaxy and pretend..."
I stopped reading there, because Rogue Galaxy is a game all on its own.  I would love to see sequels to that also.

Dark Cloud 3 HAS to happen.  If it doesn't, then Sony licks nads.  That's right, I fucking said NADS!!!

Level 5 happens to be one of my favorite developers.  Everything those doods touch is amazing.  Seriously!  Two Dark Cloud games, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest VIII, and Professor Layton.  I'm worried about White Knight Chronicles, but whatever.  One game in a canon of amazing?!  It happens to the best of us.

Seriously, though.  Dark Cloud 3.  E3 2009.  If I don't hear the magic words...I might swallow lead paint.
#22 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

My brother loved Dark Cloud. I bet he's wondering too.

#23 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
Axersia said:
"Why not just play Rogue Galaxy and pretend it's Dark Cloud 3? It's obviously the spiritual successor to the series and contains most of the elements that were present in Dark Cloud 2 -- and if they're not, they'll just give you something else to make up for it. Wanna build a town? How about you build a factory instead? Wanna play golf? How about catching some bugs and having turn-based tactical RPG battles with them? Like randomly-generated dungeons? Well, I don't, but if those are your thing, there's a huge randomly-generated dungeon you can do in the post-game that ramps up in difficulty every time you go through it (well, at least the first couple of times). Weapon synthesizing is still present as well, but it's optional now as you'll always be well-equipped if you open all the chests and you can always just buy them as well (of course, the best weapons in the game do require synthesizing).

I don't know what it is you liked about Dark Cloud 2, but Rogue Galaxy should have you covered for most of it. If you liked the steampunk/mech-customization element of it, though, try Steambot Chronicles, and since factory building doesn't completely make up for town building, I would recommend My Life as a King.I wouldn't mind a new Dark Cloud 2/Rogue Galaxy-like game from Level-5, but it doesn't have to be a direct sequel to either of those games. I thought the original Dark Cloud was very "meh," and I quit Dark Cloud 2 about 25 hours in at the ocean cave because I got bored of spending most of my time in the menu trying to upgrade my weapon (they definitely could've streamlined the process). It was an otherwise great game, though, so maybe I'll try to get back to it someday. Rogue Galaxy was great all the way through IMO."
That's like comparing Bioshock with System Shock in my opinion. Both different games. Bioshock is a spiritual successor of System Shock. Even if a spiritual successor happens to be a great game, nostalgia kicks in and makes us demand for an actual sequel.

#24 Posted by Dakin99 (1 posts) -

dark cloud 1 and 2 ROCK havent finshed 2 but so far its great if 3 doesnt come ill be MAD
                                                                                                                                                                                      --------                     -------

____

____________________________________________________

#25 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (391 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor:
I find That Beliveable
#26 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

I have Dark Cloud 2, but I didn't play it that much. I should though. And I heard that the 3rd one is supposedly exclusive on the PS3. I could be wrong though.

#27 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Holy crap, talk about necroing my old thread...

#28 Posted by Hailinel (23692 posts) -
@Kingofallya said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: I find That Beliveable "
Then I'm sure he also has a deed to the Grand Canyon he'd be willing to sell you, as well.
#29 Posted by dran (1 posts) -
@Meteora: yah were is it thoughs bitches fucked up the 2nd one 3333333
#30 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

They seem to be putting all their eggs into this White Knight nonesense.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
@dran said:
" @Meteora: yah were is it thoughs bitches fucked up the 2nd one 3333333 "
I...don't understand what you are saying.  If you are suggesting that Dark Cloud 2 was...in some way, shape, or form...a bad game, then we must've played two different games.  Dark Cloud 2 was fucking perfect in every way.  Yeah, it's didn't have the openness in its Georama setup that the first game did, but that one small matter could easily be overlooked when you have an incredibly deep weapon synthesis system, great story, interesting characters, beautiful art style, great random dungeons, cool enemies, and something like 150 levels of dungeons to go through after you complete the game with your New Game Plus data.
#32 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Where is Timesplitters 4? Where is Otogi 3? Where is System Shock 3? Where is XII 2? Where is The Lost Express 2? Where is Killer 7 uh...2? Ico 2? Rez 2? Prey 2? Secret of Evermore 2? Chrono Trigger 2?.....the list is endless

#33 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Where the fuck's my Dark Cloud 3?

#34 Edited by Soap (3561 posts) -