#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

Saints Row: The Third currently has the favorite of three of the GB staff members. So what game do you think will win game of the year? I still think it's not fully clear. Maybe I am crazy though.

#2 Posted by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

I dunno, I still feel like Skyrim will win in the end. Brad and Patrick will eventually sway jeff over to skyrim and then I think vinny and Ryan will eventually concede.

#3 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

It's going to be Skyrim, of course. Every place is going to say Skyrim, because that's the trendy thing to do. That they've paid so much attention to other titles so far seems to make it incredibly clear that Skyrim is being saved up for the biggest prize.

I'm a big Bethesda/Elder Scrolls fan, but I personally don't see the ludicrous levels of hype over it - like it's the first RPG anyone has ever played and it has completely changed their view on the world or something. Great game - but hard to place as GOTY, in my view. GB, however, will ultimately do so. As will about 95% of reviewers.

#4 Posted by Zacagawea (1614 posts) -

Saints Row: The Third. I seriously fucking hope it is because how awesome would that be?

#5 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@Zacagawea: I haven't really played it much just yet, but I did buy a copy of Saints Row: The Third thanks to GB. They seriously have peaked my interest in that game.

#6 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

You Don't Know Jack.

#7 Posted by Rawrz (598 posts) -

Probably Skyrim but dammit would I love if its Saints Row.

#8 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -

I'm gonna say the Saint' Row thing was all a set up before the twist of Skyrim being GOTY. I mean who would have thought SKYRIM could beat an FPS game in terms of player count especially when they were released in direct competition of it. 

#9 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

It will definitely be a toss-up between Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Saint's Row: The Third

#10 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Hoping for Saint's Row: The Third! Woop woop!

#11 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

what if Jeff spiked everyone's drinks so they fall asleep and then just says "Track Mania 2" .."no contest?" -"zzZzzzZZz" "Track Mania it is then! Giant Bomb's 2011 Game of the year!"

#12 Posted by hustlerlt (335 posts) -

It'll either be Saints Row: The Third,Skyrim or Batman: Arkham City.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -

It's going to be Saints Row, without question.

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Saints Row

And I'm going to be enraged about it because that isn't the game I'd choose which means I'm wrong and can no longer enjoy that game!!!

#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

saint's row the third.

Vinny and Ryan didn't even acknowledge Skyrim on their lists.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (12160 posts) -
@hustlerlt said:

It'll either be Saints Row: The Third,Skyrim or Batman: Arkham City.

I don't even think Batman will be in contention. 
#17 Edited by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

It's probably going to be Skyrim. Remember that the guys aren't just considering personal tastes/enjoyment during the GOTY deliberations but also more objective measures of game quality as well, which is part of the reason why they put up their personal top ten lists in the first place. Jeff, in particular, has made it very clear in the past that there is a difference between the "best" game, and the "favorite" game.

Picking GOTY is about picking the "best" game, not just their "favorite" game.

#18 Posted by mortal_sb (559 posts) -

i remember brad saying last year that this year will be the battle between batman and uncharted again and: no it's not going to be. i'd say saints row with either portal 2, bastion or skyrim as follow ups.

#19 Edited by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

the third

they've pretty much all but called their play so I won't be impressed with myself when it happens.

#20 Posted by Itwastuesday (984 posts) -

It is hard to ignore the evidence that points towards Saints Row the Third. The real questions is, what game will be fiercely argued against it? Brad is the only one who seems particularly enthusiastic about Skyrim. I think it will come down to Saints vs Portal 2.

(though I don't see what's so special about Saints Row but this aint my place to decide!)

#21 Edited by sworen (30 posts) -

I really wish I could understand the love for Saints Row: The Third. When got around to playing it, it just felt rather mundane with all the hype buildup. It really felt overrated, and I lost whatever magical feeling I was supposed to get. Maybe I never played the game right, I went through the entire main story, but as far as open world things, I had no interest in that in regards to the game. So if they end up picking it as goty, I will continue to be baffled.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't their pick either though, I know when Jeff was in that goty video for the vgas, he seemed pretty fond of skyrim. I wouldn't mind skyrim being goty from them, not because everyone is doing it, but because it earned the award.

I don't see any sequels being on there with their response to the fatigue felt by them.

Portal 2 seems like a strong contender, if only because it's getting a lot of recognition along the way through the awards.

#22 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Yeah, but Ryan even said himself he hasn't played it yet and it makes me thing Vinny hasn't either.

#23 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I also realized that Skyrim got 5 stars and Saints Row got 4.

#24 Posted by laserbolts (5368 posts) -

I'd say saints row. I predict some frustration from Brad in the podcast. Should be a good one.

#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Saints Row, easily.

#26 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Whatever it is, it will have been released in the past three months.  If LA Noire just came out, it'd end up being in the top three just because it would still have the new game smell. Saints Row or Skyrim will win though.

#27 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (183 posts) -

Resident Evil 4. Booyakasha.

#28 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

I think the conversation will go something like this based on past years. The only wrinkle is that apparently they didn't finish in one day so Brad could come back to argue with fresh batteries :D

Ryan : Saints Row

Jeff : Saints Row

Brad : Skyrim

Patrick : I didn't really love Saints Row as much as you guys but I am down on Skyrim lately, so sure, whatever, Saints Row is fine, lets get out of here.

Vinny : I like Saints Row and really hate to argue so sure.

Brad : I want Skyrim and I am gonna go on and on until one of you caves in. I take GOTY way way too seriously. Grrrrr ...

Ryan : Jesus Christ Brad!

(hours pass, going over the same shit)

Jeff : I really like Saints Row

Rest : *I want to die*

Jeff : Saints Row (I am too classy to point out that ultimately I am the boss and will get my way just like when we gave GOTY to GTA4 when every one else wanted MGS4)

Brad eventually gives up and goes off to sulk.

GOTY - Saints Row.

#29 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

I really don't know. It could very well be Saints Row, but I want it to be Skyrim. Should be a great argument on todays podcast.

#30 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

3rd Street Saints look like the winner right now. I mean Jeff, Ryan and even Vinny put it as their top game this year.

#31 Edited by FutureNewbApps (27 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City. I think it's the only game that's been in all of their top 5's which isn't the case for any other game I think, could be wrong, I've seen and watched so many top 10's lately. Anyways I think they'll eventually agree on Batman since they all enjoyed it a lot and it's an awesome game. I'm putting my money on Arkham City winning GB's GOTY.

Although they could surprise me and pick my personal GOTY, Portal 2....

#32 Edited by VarkhanMB (161 posts) -

You know what, I would venture saying Bastion has a chance. In order of likelihood that those choices happen, here are my thoughts.

1. Saints Row: The Third

2. Skyrim

3. Bastion

Also, whoever commented and said that "Best Game" doesn't mean "Favourite Game" brings up a good point. This all depends on how they see it. Because "Best Game" could be the one that gives you the most satisfaction after having finished playing it. It could be numerous things. So if we want to argue, Skyrim is just as broken as Saints Row, so Bastion is therefore the most sensible choice out of the three in my list. I am looking forward to the podcast, and am way curious to see how they come to their conclusions today.

#33 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

If all things were equal Skyrim should be game of the year. It has the best world ever created in a video game. It transcends the open world genre. All things are not equal though, the PS3 is version is broken and has been for 2 months now. That automatically disqualifies it from receiving any awards in my view.

I don't really get why people like Saints Row 3. It's not my style of humor. I like stupid things but I prefer that the people making the shit aren't in on it too. Accidental stupidity makes it so much more endearing to me. And the gameplay is stuff we've been doing in open world games for the last decade only bigger. But whatever. If it's game of the year I'll just shrug my shoulders like every other year. If Skyrim wins though, I will be extremely disappointed with the staff. You cannot award a game that has an almost unplayable version out there. No excuses for that.

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Skyrim, because GOTY is not the place for anything resembling originality.

#35 Posted by dr_mantas (2060 posts) -

My game is probably Bastion.

Giant Bomb's GOTY is gonna be Saints Row The Third.

#36 Posted by Winternet (8055 posts) -

Before this week I thought Skyrm would win easily, but now I don't know. Can a 4-star game really win GOTY? I still think Skyrim will win.

#37 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Seems like Saints Row :(

This will be the shortest podcast ever,

#38 Posted by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

It's going to come down to Saints Row and Skyrim - the argument will come down to weather game of the year is "best" of the year (Skyrim wins) or "favorite" of the year. It's going to be Skyrim after someone tries to bring up that Skyrim can't be best since it's so broken which sparks debate, only to ultimately conclude that on the working platforms, despite it's flaws, Skyrim is amazing.

#39 Posted by VarkhanMB (161 posts) -

Well the thing to keep in mind is that stars don't mean shit. Not only are they reviewed by different people, but these people can have a different view of what those stars mean. Again, Skyrim is just as broken as Saints Row, but they are both fantastic games.

#40 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -

@alternate said:

I think the conversation will go something like this based on past years. The only wrinkle is that apparently they didn't finish in one day so Brad could come back to argue with fresh batteries :D

Ryan : Saints Row

Jeff : Saints Row

Patrick : I didn't really love Saints Row as much as you guys but I am down on Skyrim lately, so sure, whatever, Saints Row is fine, lets get out of here.

Vinny : I like Saints Row and really hate to argue so sure.

Brad : I want Skyrim and I am gonna go on and on until one of you caves in. I take GOTY way way too seriously. Grrrrr ...

Ryan : Jesus Christ Brad!

(hours pass, going over the same shit)

Jeff : I really like Saints Row

Rest : *I want to die*

Jeff : Saints Row (I am too classy to point out that ultimately I am the boss and will get my way just like when we gave GOTY to GTA4 when every one else wanted MGS4)

Brad eventually gives up and goes off to sulk.

GOTY - Saints Row.

Hahahaha wow, I've already played this out my head exactly the same way, god damn I love you man.

We're so on the same page hah!

#41 Posted by Brendan (8152 posts) -

SR3, clearly. I'd be surprised if the conversation even lasted 5 minutes. If it did it would be redundant anyway.

#42 Posted by el_tajij (718 posts) -

To be fair, Skyrim is the right answer. Anything else is just going against the tide for the sake of argument. The only complaints i've seen about Skyrim are from people who\ve put in 100+ hours on it.

That's an impressive feat. Also, people say the PS3 version is busted. I've had no issues myself and everybody else I know has bought it on PS3 with no issues.

#43 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (850 posts) -

I think Skyrim will win it.

#44 Posted by Hector (3380 posts) -

Skyrim for sure. The attention to detail in the game is amazing. Kinda sad Zelda didn't get on anyone's top 10. (At least I don't recall seeing it anywhere).