• 98 results
#51 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

I had the utmost respect for them and their work, and their reviews pretty much mimicked my own opinions.

Until they gave Dead Space 3 a 9.5, which I have no clue how happened. Will still probably visit, but that review and score makes me want to boycott them to the end of the moon and back.

#52 Posted by JasonR86 (9658 posts) -

I like their mobile site and I like some of the dudes who work there. That said I barely go there.

#53 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

@RockyRaccoon37: I'm bad with names. I can't remember who it was now but someone was on the 8-4 podcast arguing that Monster Hunter was an unfair game because it did not control like God of War. It was one of the most asinine statements I have ever heard, so obviously I had to look him up and discovered he was a founding editor (?) for Polygon. Any site that would hire someone with that level of intelligence is not a site that I want to visit. Also I loathe Arthur Gies. I can't remember why exactly, IIRC I was first introduced to him when Rebel FM came into being. I was only able to listen to a few episodes, I went there for Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos, before I had to give it up because everything that came out of that man's mouth was maddening drivel.

#54 Posted by Daveyo520 (6686 posts) -

I like it, it is my second video game site. With GB and that I don't really need anything else.

#55 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Some of the personalities on the site are fine, Justin and Griffin for instance, but they spent a hell of a lot of time blowing a lot of hot air leading up to the release of Polygon. I was truly excited for what they might bring to the industry.

What they ended up with is... just another gaming site with some flashy, obtuse web design tacked on. It's frankly been a big disappointment.

#56 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

Never been, don't care.

#57 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -
#58 Posted by wjb (1657 posts) -

I sometimes read the reviews and features, but that's it. They are like the Audioslave of the gaming press. You think it's going to be really awesome with all these people in one place, and then the output is just okay.

I like Giant Bomb's video-focused content much better.

#59 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

I listen to Besties (despite Justin being on it), but that's the extent of my interaction with Polygon. I just don't think the site has any integrity, and I don't trust them.

#60 Posted by RazielCuts (2952 posts) -

The whole 'we're starting a new games website because everyone is doing it wrong and we're better than all that shit' totally rubbed me the wrong way with their completely pretentious 'Press Reset' trailer. This would of been a distant memory if it had actually been pulled off and not been bitten by their official 'Besties' podcast where a man extendedly shouts into the microphone as he introduces himself and makes different, unfunny 'characters' each week when talking about the games he's played.

#61 Posted by Mastertarvin (53 posts) -

I never really liked the site to begin with but its the only gaming site that isn't blocked on my works firewall, so I would go there occasionally. But then they gave Ni No Kuni a 6.5...Fuck that site. I would have been ok with it if the review had been well written, but it had so many just flat out false statements I couldn't even believe they posted it. Plus the geico forum thing is just kinda gross and stupid.

#62 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I really don't care for the design. Some of the articles are probably worth reading but that terrible layout keeps me from spending any time there.

#63 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Never heard of it.

#64 Edited by Encephalon (1250 posts) -

Never been there. Not really in the market for any games coverage other than silly internet videos, which GB thankfully provides.

#65 Posted by Demoskinos (14777 posts) -

@Mastertarvin said:

I never really liked the site to begin with but its the only gaming site that isn't blocked on my works firewall, so I would go there occasionally. But then they gave Ni No Kuni a 6.5...Fuck that site. I would have been ok with it if the review had been well written, but it had so many just flat out false statements I couldn't even believe they posted it. Plus the geico forum thing is just kinda gross and stupid.

Yeah, I think Phil's review was way way to harsh. I'm 60 hours into it and I'm seriously starting to think that its quickly for me going on the list of the top PS3 exclusives you MUST own. Its just so damn amazing.

#66 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

There's stuff there that's a good read. I go there from time to time.

#67 Posted by beeftothetaco (421 posts) -

I don't like it that much. The whole documentary thing doesn't do it any favors either.

#68 Edited by coakroach (2490 posts) -

The stuff i've read on Polygon was mostly meandering, discursive schlock.

But maybe that's just down to my personal preference, i'd rather have a game shown to me or discussed in a less rigid manner and I find a straight back and forth interview more informative than a piece that describes what a guy is wearing and what the weather is like before quoting him as saying "This is good coffee" and then launching into his past as a drama student.

Man, fuck that Ken Levine article they did.

EDIT: I hadn't heard about the documentary thing until reading through this thread.

Now I have no qualms with just saying straight up fuck those guys, you're writing about video games get your head out of your ass.

#69 Posted by Slag (4261 posts) -

Some of the articles are pretty dang good

But the pretentiousness that permeates the whole site (Self Important personalities->over designed website-> lack of self awareness->Geico schill in fourms-> self aggrandizing documentary etc) is enough to keep me from ever being a regular reader.

#70 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

I try not to think of them at all.

#71 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#72 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3804 posts) -

Their reviews are whatever but as far as long form articles go they are doing the best work in the field right now.

Say what you will about the rest but they deserve a ton of credit for that.

#73 Posted by Trilogy (2649 posts) -

@Sweep said:

I try not to think of them at all.

You're thinking about them right now. POLYGON POLYGON POLYGON.

Say it thrice and Justin Mcelroy will show up in your bedroom at night wearing a over sized pink t shirt.

#74 Posted by LornHg (42 posts) -

Polygon rules !

#75 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

I don't use the site, but some of the staff are on my "general video gamy follow list" on twitter and apart from being kinda uppity, they seem fine.

#76 Posted by Dimi3je (316 posts) -

The reading is meh, but the design is amazing.

#77 Posted by Nev (545 posts) -

I don't think of Polygon. Or yeah, no thanks.

#78 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I don't go to the site. Not that I have any reason not to, I just don't. But a lot of stories seem to originate from there, so they seem to be busy bothering the right people.

#79 Edited by Sergio (2080 posts) -

The articles are OK. I don't bother with their reviews. I hate the layout of the site, and prefer to use something like Instapaper to give me only the text. Some of the editors there are very pretentious.

The Besties is ruined by the inclusion of Russ Frushtick.

#80 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I usually visit like once or twice a week, just wish they had a function so I could sort the news storys by popularity/comments like Kotaku does.

#81 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

They're fine, but their website's design kinda went a little nuts after it separated off of The Verge. Their Besties Podcast best of 2012 was really maddening to watch, though.

#82 Posted by Maajin (1059 posts) -

I love their podcast, The Besties. Also love the design and their articles. So I guess I love Polygon!

#83 Posted by StudsMcKewl (68 posts) -

I go there somewhat regularly at work as it's a lot easier to read articles than it is to watch videos on GB. I love the McElroy's, I like a lot of the articles (like the making of XCOM one), I like the podcast... I'm not too sure about some of their reviews, but their opinions are usually backed up if you read beyond the score. That being said nothing can really top GB for me personally. I just wish GB had a few more articles and the what not.

#84 Posted by Jrinswand (1704 posts) -

I don't pay attention to them that much, but they seem really solid. Between Giant Bomb, Reddit, and NeoGAF, I just don't have enough time for another video game website though.

#85 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1242 posts) -

Justin is pretty funny. I don't go on the site much but I generally don't agree with their opinions when I have seen their reviews.

#86 Posted by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

I really, really hated the design when they launched to the point that I just couldn't be bothered going to the site but over time, as a result of popping over for The Besties and the odd article, I've gotten used to it.  A lot of their articles are too long for my tastes and surfing habits but what I do read there is generally good. I wish there was more to listen to.

I'm a fan of the brothers McElroy and Plante and Frushtick are really growing on me.

Community-wise I just haven't had any interest. 

I LOVE the logo.

#87 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

I enjoy the Besties podcast and the articles, but I find the site layout insane. While it is nice to look at,I find it difficult to find anything specific by looking at the front page.

#88 Posted by zerdune (157 posts) -

That Brian Crecente crib feature was the first thing I read over there and that left a bad first impression. Since then they've improved a lot to the point that I visit the site daily.

#89 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

It's definitely a videogame website.

#90 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
#91 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

I think their feature pieces could use a lot more editing and lack a lot of pacing. Reviews are written well, even if I consistently disagree with them(they serve their purpose).

#92 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

I visit Giant Bomb for the forums. People hardly write for Giant Bomb anymore.

I hear they're getting into videos.

#93 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@thabigred said:

I think their feature pieces could use a lot more editing and lack a lot of pacing. Reviews are written well, even if I consistently disagree with them(they serve their purpose).

I completely agree. Some of the writing is so poorly done/redundant that it is maddening. This little phrase got in my head and would not leave. From the Making of XCOM's Jake Solomon:

"But it is a game that, no matter what Solomon tells you, has become more successful than anyone could have imagined. Anyone, that is, except for Jake Solomon. Jake Solomon just can't quite believe that yet."

Why are we told, in three different ways, that Solomon can't believe it!? Ahhh

#94 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

There strong point so far as been the reviews, and they have done a decent job on the other features. The Verge still has better gaming articles at times though, which is just kinda funny. Hopefully they start doing more video content, they seem like they truly could excel at that. They aren't at the point where the verge is for tech, but I feel like they can get there. Also they're the only other gaming site I actually visit at this point.

While i like the personalities people who work at IGN, beyond the podcasts I can't stand anything else on the site for seem reason. The difference I think Polygon (and Giantbomb actually) have is that each individual's personality actually bleeds through the site. That's what I actually want when reading someone's work.

Kind of unrelated, but I'm starting to realize I greatly prefer listening to podcasts than reading an review or article. Podcasts or videos bring up discussions that bring up a lot more useful information, and it also lets you to see someones genuine excitement or "despair" much more easily.

#95 Posted by csl316 (8469 posts) -

I listen to the Besties since I need a Monday morning commute podcast. But anytime I try reading an article, the design makes me go ugh.

#96 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

I like most of Russ Pitt's articles, even if they do tend to be self-consciously "important."

Still, they show a degree of research that you don't normally see on video game sites.

#97 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

Polygon is alright. They do some pretty good pieces and write up interesting stories. It's terribly over designed though.

#98 Posted by development (2261 posts) -

i'm all for MBMBaM and any light-hearted thing involving a McElroy, but don't give a damn about most of their news or opinions of games in general.

#99 Edited by ch3burashka (5044 posts) -

I didn't follow their pre-launch hypetrain, although claiming to be the best of the best of the best (sir!) seemed incredibly hyperbolic and frankly counter to the message of launching a new site with a bunch of industry vets. Aside from that, it features people I like, and the articles are fairly decent, especially all the investigative "journalism" stuff, AKA in-depth interviews and studio profiles. No complaints so far, although I haven't seen one iota of the forums - that could be a make-or-break area of the site.

Besties is an alright podcast, as is the new Joystiq Show, but they both pale in comparison to the original Joystiq Podcast. Anyone notice that in the past few years a bunch of podcasts have been abandoned or disbanded, and the ones that split off are inferior to the original? Joystiq, Gamesradar, IGN all lost some great podcasts, and either the split-offs or format changes have made for a worse experience, IMO.