• 51 results
#1 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

With all the recent discussion about The Old Republic in the forums and the Bombcast, I'm wondering: what exactly qualifies as "free-to-play"? The way I see it, TOR is not a free-to-play game, as it charges the player with an initial purchase of the game. I guess there are several models for these games which may overlap in some cases:

• Free-to-play: You don't have to pay for the game or for access to online multiplayer. Usually supported with micro-transactions and in-game stores, e.g: MapleStory, League of Legends, Dota 2, Allods Online, DC Universe Online (on PC).
  • No monthly fees: You have to buy the game/client, but you can play online free of cost. Your gameplay may be limited or not, but if it is, you should be able to experience the vast majority of the game without many restrictions, e.g: Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, The Old Republic (in the near future).
  • Limited demo: You can try the game and play for free, but up to a certain level, with the option to convert your account to a "full" account, e.g: World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online.
  • Pay the game, pay the monthly fee: You have to buy the game/client, and also pay monthly for access to online content, e.g: World of Warcraft, The Old Republic (for the next few weeks, at least), EVE Online.

Is there any need to make the distinction between all these models (or any other possible one I may be missing)? I feel that calling a game like TOR "free-to-play" is somehow cheating the system, because you still have to go to a paid gate to access the contents of the game. And, on top of that, you still have optional monthly fees and micro-transactions.

So, what's your take on this?

#2 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

I agree. Call of Duty is also a free-to-play game by that misleading marketing logic.

#3 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

I think TOR is a bad game.

#4 Edited by ElixirBronze (426 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

That is very much relevant.

Also I agree.

#5 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -

I assumed when TOR was becoming Free-To-Play that you could download it for free. Is that not correct?

#6 Posted by bemusedchunk (692 posts) -

"F2P" generally is reserved for games where there is a micro-transaction system.

LOTRO, SWTOR, Champions Online...

You pretty much pinpointed where the naming convention falls apart. There is a big controversy now weather or not a boxed copy is regarded as F2P or just a game with no subscription fee.

Totally disagree with COD being a "free-to-play" game.

All of the games listed in the original post are multiplayer only games. COD does have a single player campaign, albeit a brief one.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2662 posts) -

But will you actually have to buy the game once their new model goes live ? I can't really find any real confirmation either way. However you can already download and play the game without paying anything up to a certain level. Seems reasonable to me that all the new model is gonna do is expand the level cap on the already free version and set up new barriers at end-game.

#8 Posted by face15 (1300 posts) -

Wait. You still have to pay for The Old Republic?

That seems exactly opposite to the purpose of the free-to-play model. It's supposed to lower the barrier of entry. They have a better chance of getting people to stick with the game and maybe spend a bit of money if they can get in and play it for free.

I was planning on checking it out when it became F2P but if I still have to fork out money to download it there is no way I'm going to.

Frankly I think they'd be better off ditching the initial fee and keeping the subscription. They'd probably get a lot more players getting in and trying it for at least the first month that way.

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

others don't though so... opinions and stuff

#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Lord of the Rings Online is my favorite F2P.
I used to play it before it went F2P but when it did it offered me one very simple thing.

A way to ingame work for currency useable in their store.
I'm not sure how long ago it went F2P (1, 2 years?) but playing pretty on and off over that period has netted me with 8 character slots ( I started with 5 I think, due to me owning expansions when it went f2p), all except 2 quest zones, most of the skirmishes and Rise of Isengard.

Long as I put time in, I get content, that's a good F2P strategy for me.

#11 Posted by kagato (920 posts) -

Lots of free to play mmos require that you buy the client, its just that the description or i guess, what we think of as free to play is pretty subjective. When it comes to mmos, any game you dont pay a monthly fee for is regarded as free to play, Guild Wars also fits this where as games like DCUO, Star Trek Online and Phantasy Star Online are free to play in the truest sense ie, you dont pay for the client or for anything else.

#12 Edited by Shivoa (625 posts) -

Yep, I only consider F2P used accurately when a game can be played with a freely downloaded client and free account in some non-demo form (the line between demo for the first 15/20 levels and F2P with most content behind paywall is possibly going to require the most work defining - D&DO and LOTRO is F2P? but a lot of content for all levels is locked if you don't pay anything is my understanding). If you have to buy an account (boxed game etc) then it is just a non-subscription MMO and not F2P. We also have titles like The Secret World which have both micro-transactions and a subscription on top of a stcker price (which ended up being about twice the normal boxes price for PC games in the UK at launch - not sure what was going on there but EA also did that with TOR at release, it may be we have a more fluid 'new' price in the UK for games and so they were just sticking a console SRP on them and retailers took that as a sign to charge full SRP of around $80 (inc tax)) and that seems a bit much. If you're paying $180 a year for a subscription on top of buying the game then everything being created should be included in the huge ongoing sticker price (which like Spotify, PSN+, or Netflix means you can't access anything when you're not paying - effectively making all subscription MMO into a rental agreement).

Diablo 3 isn't F2P, it's just non-subscription (I use MMO to indicate server side 'solo' play as it seems the only sane definition - if CoD used server side checks on a persistent character to level up when playing the campaign then I'd probably call it an MMO with the persistent mulitplayer already in there; I'm yet to hear a better definition).

Edit: as above, I didn't actually get out of any of the coverage of the TOR announcement if it was actually F2P or if people are just using the wrong word. It is currently available as a free demo to lvl15 (as most MMO now do, not F2P), at which point you buy a boxed copy and pay monthly (standard subscription model). It is moving to a $15 boxed copy but is the cap for the demo moving to lvl50 with some restrictions (ie it is F2P) or are they actually getting rid of the demo and you need to buy the $15 box to get access to the restricted version (roughly: solo only, no ongoing content, no fast travel) of the game to the lvl50 cap or pay monthly for the group content, fast travel, and end-game (ie non-subscription MMO with optional subscription and micro-transactions)?

#13 Edited by Tennmuerti (8099 posts) -

F2P started being used for MMOs as a marketing buzzword to make people think it's completely free to get into and most of the content is free. Even tho many of those games still have a cost for the client and only actually provide a demo up to a certain level cap. That is just a non subscription MMO, or an MMO with a demo/trial. That isn't F2P, that is just misuse of the term by game journalists that don't bother doing research if the game is actually F2P and just repeat the marketing pitch. (Guildwars2 likewise is just a no subscription MMO, not F2P)

F2P means free client, no (necessary) costs period not just subscription. You can get into a game and get most out of it without paying anything.

As long as ToR still has a fee for the client it's not fully F2P.

#14 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

F2P should also not be confused with "pay to win (P2W)". I'm a big supporter of F2P games that *are not* pay-to-win, namely Guild Wars 2 and the like. F2P games generally rely on microtransactions to cover their costs. When these are items that unbalance the game, or create two classes of player (pay-for-power games, and regular Joes) then I start having issues. Convenience and cosmetic items, which do not unbalance the power structure of the player base are perfectly acceptable, and are becoming more the norm. P2W, as most gamers know it, is almost exclusively found in Eastern Asian (mostly Korean) developed MMOs. I think once MMO players get over the mental "hump" of F2P not equaling "pay to win", then we'll really see the subscription model go away.

#15 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@face15 said:

The price for the game will be reduced to $/€15 (with a free month of game time, as it's common practice), but you'll still have to pay for it... at least for some time before going fully F2P, I guess? Unless they mean that each month of optional subscription will be reduced to $/€15 when they say that "The game’s price will be reduced to $15 in August ahead of the switch, and will offer a free month as an incentive to buy-in at that point". The wording is definitely confusing, but from what I gather, yes, you will have to buy the game in order to play it.

#16 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Games that you can play completely for free with a micro-transaction system are F2P. However, games where you buy the copy of the game and you don't need to play a subscription, such as Guild Wars, is Buy 2 Play.

#17 Posted by dudeglove (7833 posts) -

I think the word you're looking for is "hats"

Surely TF2 is the ultimate example of a F2P model? Free to download, free to play, F2Pers get the same drops as everyone else, and pretty much everything is available from the word go. The only restrictions I can see for F2Pers is the limited item inventory and the inability to trade.

#18 Posted by d0rks (73 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

With all the recent discussion about The Old Republic in the forums and the Bombcast, I'm wondering: what exactly qualifies as "free-to-play"? The way I see it, TOR is not a free-to-play game, as it charges the player with an initial purchase of the game. I guess there are several models for these games which may overlap in some cases:

Is there any need to make the distinction between all these models (or any other possible one I may be missing)? I feel that calling a game like TOR "free-to-play" is somehow cheating the system, because you still have to go to a paid gate to access the contents of the game. And, on top of that, you still have optional monthly fees and micro-transactions.

So, what's your take on this?

Note that EVE Online presents a more hybrid payment model: After the initial purchase, depending on your ability to earn generate in-game currency (ISK) (and your preferences for spending that ISK), you could totally pay for game-time (PLEX) with in-game currency only. At that point the game has become "play-to-pay", I guess.

--

PLEX = "30 Days Pilot's License Extension (PLEX)" is an in-game item providing 30 days of game-time;

#19 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I just downloaded TOR, and created a character without paying anything. Maybe it changed.

#20 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@foggel said:

I just downloaded TOR, and created a character without paying anything. Maybe it changed.

It has a trial mode until level 15.

#21 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@foggel said:

But it does not charge a player with the initial puchase. Atleast anymore.
#22 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

They are discounting TOR next month to $15, and then it is going full F2P "this fall." Free client, micro-transactions and what not.

#23 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

Old Republic and Guild Wars should not be lumped together, they're two totally different things. Guild Wars is the price of a standard retail game, but gives you the everything right out of the box, with no limitations or required upgrades. There's some light microtransactions for cosmetic fluff, but nothing essentially. It's typically called a Buy to Play game.

Old Republic is a straight up F2P game (if you're not paying the subscription). You don't have to pay anything for it, but have a completely gimped experience if you choose not to and have to pay for access to some basic features and content, including character options and even whole game modes.

#24 Posted by stinky (1548 posts) -

context, free to play within the context of an MMO.

#25 Posted by Marz (5651 posts) -

@BiG_Weasel said:

F2P should also not be confused with "pay to win (P2W)". I'm a big supporter of F2P games that *are not* pay-to-win, namely Guild Wars 2 and the like. F2P games generally rely on microtransactions to cover their costs. When these are items that unbalance the game, or create two classes of player (pay-for-power games, and regular Joes) then I start having issues. Convenience and cosmetic items, which do not unbalance the power structure of the player base are perfectly acceptable, and are becoming more the norm. P2W, as most gamers know it, is almost exclusively found in Eastern Asian (mostly Korean) developed MMOs. I think once MMO players get over the mental "hump" of F2P not equaling "pay to win", then we'll really see the subscription model go away.

what? guild wars 2 is $60 and i wouldn't label it F2P it's a buy to play game.

#26 Posted by gunninkr (140 posts) -

Should be called Try-To-Play

#27 Posted by Rorie (2888 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it's not going F2P until the fall.

Staff
#28 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

I consider anything with a free client and free registration (if applicable) to be free-to-play, as long as the vast majority of in game content is available to play through. As in, quests, missions, game modes, etc. The ability to pay in addition to acquire other bonuses doesn't affect it (e.g. special items, expanded inventory, NPC allies, additional classes, a relatively small amount of additional content, etc).

Regarding the classification of Old Republic once the client becomes free, I suppose it means how much you can do before the level 50 level cap.

#29 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@face15 said:

The price for the game will be reduced to $/€15 (with a free month of game time, as it's common practice), but you'll still have to pay for it... at least for some time before going fully F2P, I guess? Unless they mean that each month of optional subscription will be reduced to $/€15 when they say that "The game’s price will be reduced to $15 in August ahead of the switch, and will offer a free month as an incentive to buy-in at that point". The wording is definitely confusing, but from what I gather, yes, you will have to buy the game in order to play it.

It is being dropped to $15 this month, and then later in the year it's going free-to-play. When it goes free-to-play the game itself will be free and there will be no subscription. That is what I understood from the announcement, anyway.

#30 Edited by Tennmuerti (8099 posts) -

@foggel said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@foggel said:

But it does not charge a player with the initial puchase. Atleast anymore.

You will have to pay for the client to play past lvl 15.

It's basically a demo, not fully F2P yet.

@WinterSnowblind: You can't progress past a certain low lvl atm without paying. Old Republic is not F2P yet. You can't access a huge majority of the content without paying. If we classify being able to progress a little bit in a game for free F2P then any game with a demo is F2P. Kind of similar to Ouya marketing BS.

#31 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@face15 said:

It is being dropped to $15 this month, and then later in the year it's going free-to-play. When it goes free-to-play the game itself will be free and there will be no subscription. That is what I understood from the announcement, anyway.

Makes sense, I guess. I don't really get why anyone would buy the game, even discounted, when it's going completely F2P in a couple months, though.

#32 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Lord of the Rings Online is my favorite F2P. I used to play it before it went F2P but when it did it offered me one very simple thing.  A way to ingame work for currency useable in their store. I'm not sure how long ago it went F2P (1, 2 years?) but playing pretty on and off over that period has netted me with 8 character slots ( I started with 5 I think, due to me owning expansions when it went f2p), all except 2 quest zones, most of the skirmishes and Rise of Isengard.  Long as I put time in, I get content, that's a good F2P strategy for me.
I just started playing LOTRO again earlier this week after not having played for several years. I don't really understand how the Turbine Points system works. Is that in any way connected to the Destiny Points system? 

How did you pay for stuff through playing the game?
#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

You forgot the best hat-themed F2P game: Team Fortress 2!

#34 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: At the moment you can play a free trial that lets you go up to level 15. In November, the game is going free to play, which will allow you to play right up to level 50 and see all of the current story content for free, with no subscription and no requirement to buy the client/box, but with some pretty hefty restrictions on a lot of the multiplayer and advanced stuff. It's the pure definition of F2P, even the developers are calling it such.

If you're just trying to argue that it hasn't become a F2P game yet, fair enough, but that seems pretty irrelevant for this discussion.

#35 Edited by Tennmuerti (8099 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind:

Nope, it seems especially relevant to the discussion where exact parameters of F2P are being discussed. Especially with the OP and other people in the thread referring to the current state of ToR

And yes all I am saying it's not F2P yet. Which your initial statement seemed to imply.

Like I said before, when they drop that client cost past lvl 15 then yes it will be F2P.

Doesn't matter what people behind the game say. Marketing likes to misuse the F2P term.

#36 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@MattyFTM said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@face15 said:

Makes sense, I guess. I don't really get why anyone would buy the game, even discounted, when it's going completely F2P in a couple months, though.

If someone wants to access the premium content, it makes sense to buy it for $15 now. I mean, it's going to be $15 a month to access the premium stuff when it's free-to-play, so paying $15 for the game with a free month's subscription is the same as you'd pay for a month of access to the premium stuff when it goes free-to-play. I'm actually tempted to get it myself. I mean, I'd like to check out the game, and I don't want to have a half-assed experience that free players are sure to get.

#37 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: The topic was discussing what constitutes a F2P game and by November, Old Republic will be a good example of one. That's why it's being brought up.

Until then it's obviously still a subscription based game.

#38 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Noting is free, everything is a lie.

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Jrinswand:  You earn Turbine points by completing deeds, which range from use a attack 800 times to get a upgraded trait and 5 points to grind 30 goblins or complete all quests in a zone.
Those points add up in the long run as you quest/grind anyway.

Destiny is used for subscriber bonus purchasing or outfitting your monster character in pvp.
#40 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@Jrinswand:  You earn Turbine points by completing deeds, which range from use a attack 800 times to get a upgraded trait and 5 points to grind 30 goblins or complete all quests in a zone. Those points add up in the long run as you quest/grind anyway.  Destiny is used for subscriber bonus purchasing or outfitting your monster character in pvp.
Thanks! Yeah, I noticed that you get TP from doing the deeds. It's usually just 5 TP per deed, but I'm sure it adds up as you play. It just sucks that I can only complete a few deeds per day since my account seems to have been downgraded to F2P. I was under the impression that if you used to be a subscriber then you are entitled to benefits that new members don't have access to, but I guess I was wrong. 

I wanted to try to purchase a mount using TP before reaching level 20, when I'd be able to buy them using gold in-game but it doesn't look like I'm going to reach that goal. Oh well. Maybe I can save up some TP to get the Mirkwood expansion or something.
#41 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Jrinswand: Eh? You're thinking of tasks then?
Deeds are not the same as those and besides there being a increment limit (like you can only get 100/800 per day for a skill spam) you can just finish a quest area, explore or grind mobs for it too count.

I think I'm going to write a guide soon on how to best profit in Lotro from the system.
Its a pretty smart move to get 3 characters to 20, purchase a month of time, get 5 bags total for them and any character you create while a VIP member and you can buy riding with gold instead of TP.
Works out better in the end I think but it does require you to pay for once.
You can also start deeds in locked quest zones when you're a VIP (since they're unlocked for the duration of your sub) and finish those later after the sub.

Neat little tricks like those, I should get on that guide sometime.

From experience though, you won't really need a mount until after the Lone Lands, everything has nearby travel points or the walking time is not that bad (especially not for some classes that have speed buffs).
#42 Edited by yoshisaur (2722 posts) -

Not to say that this type of discussion isn't merited, but I think it's a little over-analytic at this point. A free-to-play game is merely cultural slang for a game that you can continue to play without throwing money at it. This could be the Guild Wars model of "buy the box, play the game indefinitely," or more like League of Legends where the game is completely free, but cosmetics, boosters, and sometimes heroes must be bought in order to continue playing.

You're stepping into the idea that F2P really encompasses different game-types. A MOBA like League of Legends is going to have a different variation of F2P than, let's say, Lord of the Rings online. In the end, as I've said, the name merely represents in it's most base qualities a game that lacks a subscription model or doesn't force you to pay to enjoy most of it's game.

@familyphotoshoot said:

Posts like this make me wish Giantbomb had a "Relevant" or "Irrelevant" type of karma system.

#43 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: I would love to read something like that. I've got to say that despite LOTRO being an incredible F2P experience, probably the best that exists on the market right now in terms of MMOs, some of its systems are incredibly obtuse. Between each class seemingly having something like 50 active skills, confusing traits systems, and half a dozen different point systems, the game can quickly become incredibly confusing to a new player or somebody who hasn't played in years.
#44 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Jrinswand: Very much so, and it only gets worse later on with even more stuff to track.
I'll start working on it tonight, it'll do much good.

Oh and another tip, reputation! 
Men of Bree is the earliest for that, just hunt those barrow treasures and do the quests, each level of reputation gives you 5-10 and even 20-25 turbine points.
#45 Posted by gaminghooligan (1443 posts) -

I think Guild Wars has and has had the best method. Buy the game, online is free, just like SC2 and Diablo 3. I however didn't get into the first Guild Wars, but I am giving two a try.

#46 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

If someone wants to access the premium content, it makes sense to buy it for $15 now. I mean, it's going to be $15 a month to access the premium stuff when it's free-to-play, so paying $15 for the game with a free month's subscription is the same as you'd pay for a month of access to the premium stuff when it goes free-to-play. I'm actually tempted to get it myself. I mean, I'd like to check out the game, and I don't want to have a half-assed experience that free players are sure to get.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be better to wait until the game actually went F2P to pay $15? Right now, those $15 are the only option for playing the game (from getting the game with a free month or actually paying monthly). Wouldn't it be wiser to start paying for premium when the service offers you a premium option?

I understand why some people may want to try the game now with the price drop, but I think that the most sensible way to go is to wait until it goes F2P, and then pay if you think the game is worth it. Or try the up-to-level-15 trial. Sure, you won't get too far into the game, but at least it will give you an idea of what it's like.

#47 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@MattyFTM said:

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be better to wait until the game actually went F2P to pay $15? Right now, those $15 are the only option for playing the game (from getting the game with a free month or actually paying monthly). Wouldn't it be wiser to start paying for premium when the service offers you a premium option?

I understand why some people may want to try the game now with the price drop, but I think that the most sensible way to go is to wait until it goes F2P, and then pay if you think the game is worth it. Or try the up-to-level-15 trial. Sure, you won't get too far into the game, but at least it will give you an idea of what it's like.

I'm going to buy SWTOR for the first time when the price drops in a couple of days simply because I know that I won't have time to play it once it actually goes F2P in September. If I buy it now then I can play it before the school semester really ramps up and I'm completely inundated with schoolwork.
#48 Edited by jjnen (661 posts) -

Wait a second? So I have to buy a copy of SW:TOR to play it for free in September or whenever the "free-to-play" starts? Fuck that, I'm keeping my money. That's what I would call misleading advertising...

Edit. Oh, I don't? Thanks for letting me know.

#49 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@Rappelsiini: No you don't.

@Jrinswand: Remember that F2P will restrict certain options. If you buy the game now and make a Twi'lek Jedi, you might have to pay more money to continue using that character when you switch to a free member, if it turns out that Twi'leks are part of the premium content. It's not like Star Trek Online where you got to keep everything you already had as a premium member.

#50 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@Rappelsiini: No, the game will be going F2P later this year. You will not have to pay to get access to the F2P content, the JoeyRavn guy was confused.