So what's the best "tycoon" game that windows 8 can run

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Since Sim City I've had a hankering to get back into those dumb fun games. Ideally I'd go with Sid Meier's SimGolf but that's pricey and might not even work well if I buy the disc. I could go for a RollerCoaster Tycoon but by all accounts it's hit or miss getting that steam version to run as well. The dream would be SimAnt but I bet that's a real pain to find/run as well.

Is the safest thing these days just to go down the Kairosoft hole?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By monetarydread
  • If Kairosoft games are available on Windows 8 then go for it. Those games are awesome on iPhone.
  • I had fun with Kingom of Kefflings, in a mindless sort of way.
  • The farming sim games are awfully fun

I almost forgot. Tropico 4 is the best. In this game you are a dictator in charge of a banana republic. You can control the peoples religion, assassinate rebels, spy on your neighbors, and just generally be a total dick.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

OpenTTD

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zFUBARz

Yeah for kairosoft I meant going mobile, should have clarified I guess. I'm on android but as far as I know they all make it over here as well.

I suppose the kefling games do fit the bill, but I have played and enjoyed them both already, I do own tropico 4, dunno if I've ever launched it or not (damn steam sales), but I do like the series.

I'm a little curious about that prison architect game that's in pre release on steam, but dunno if I want to invest in that one yet when it's still in alpha.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@zfubarz said:

I'm a little curious about that prison architect game that's in pre release on steam, but dunno if I want to invest in that one yet when it's still in alpha.

I think the upside is that, because it is in alpha, you get a better deal for it. That's how these things usually go anyway.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6 MattyFTM  Moderator

OpenTTD

This. Transport Tycoon is the greatest tycoon game ever, and the benefit of having an open source port constantly in development means that all the latest hardware should be supported.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By stalefishies
zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zFUBARz

@stalefishies: Oh cool, I think I always played that version when I was growing up anyway.

@snail: Yeah I know, I've been on the pre release bandwagon since minecraft, but something like a tycoon game can be so poorly executed it's tough to justify.

I will also check out that open TTD game. Thanks duders.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well the answer is obviously Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have the GOG version, which comes with both expansions. It was cheap as hell, works and is still as fun as it ever has been.