So what's some good anime?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By killacam

I'm looking for a good series to get into but I have no idea where to start. Movie suggestions are welcome as well. I lean towards the dark stuff, but really I just want gorgeous visuals and likeable characters. I'm playing through persona 3, and whenever there's a cutscene it's just so good. Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is the most beautiful thing I've seen, and I could watch Akira all day. Can you help me?

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Bigheart711

@killacam: You can ask the anime fans in that thread over there because this one will most likely be treated as a dupe. I'm one of them BTW so I'll help you out over there. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was playing through Oni last night and it just made me want to watch Ghost in the Shell instead.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By killacam

@Bigheart711 Will do, thanks. You have a big heart.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Bigheart711

@killacam: You're welcome! (I get that a lot, BTW. XD )

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Tylea002

My favourite anime is Code Geass, but that's mostly just because of how unbelievably bonkers it is, all the time.

It's great, but I don't really watch much anime, so apart from that can't help ya.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Popogeejo

Movies: Summer Wars, The Girl who leapt through time. Both are good if you want some sweet and emotional.

Paprika if you want some mindfuck and visual flare.

Redline if you just want visual flare and nonsensical plot. It also has a fuck awesome OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok2369YY2P8

Series: I recently enjoyed Fate/Zero. It's a prequel to a long-ass but celebrated visual novel but I watched this without reading that and did fine. There's no dub so you'll have to settle for subs but it's worth it. Good action, very pretty, very badass.

Hellsing Ultimate is good action stuff.

Gundam Unicorn has also proved to be enjoyable even with my very limited of the previous series.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By betterboulder

Films: Spirited Away, Summer Wars (Good Visuals), Princess Mononoke (Good Visuals), Castle in the Sky, Paprika (Good Visuals), 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Steamboy, Perfect Blue (Dark), Sword of the Stranger, Vampire Hunter D (Dark), My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies (Dark), Interstella 5555 (Good visuals), Evangelion (1.11, 2.22) (Good visuals and dark)

Shows: Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, Paranoia Agent, Hare + Guu, Hellsing (Dark), Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Dark), Baccano!, Darker than Black (Dark)

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By killacam

Awesome, thanks guys. Can't wait to check this stuff out. I've been meaning to watch some Miyazaki for a while. Really can't wait for Ni No Kuni.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By jimi

Death Note is worth a look. FLCL is also great and is available to watch on youtube.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I would recommend Monster to just about anyone. It's fantastic.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mesoian

@killacam said:

I'm looking for a good series to get into but I have no idea where to start. Movie suggestions are welcome as well. I lean towards the dark stuff, but really I just want gorgeous visuals and likeable characters. I'm playing through persona 3, and whenever there's a cutscene it's just so good. Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is the most beautiful thing I've seen, and I could watch Akira all day. Can you help me?

Then you want as much Studio IG stuff as possible. That's where you should start looking. I'd also recommend Gainax stuff for your over the top crazy plotlines.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By NakAttack

HAJIME NO IPPO.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

Might want to go talk to crazy rascals at the anime discussion thread here on Giantbomb. I dislike most anime(I used to be a huge fan of anime and even make AMV's about them until I finally grew up out of anime) so I'd recommend you see Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Death Note is also a must.

snowpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By snowpin

Good anime that is released this season : Sword Art Online it's like .hack but more action packed. It's only going to be a 25 episode series though. Still amazing to watch. Check it out.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Aetheldod

Well if youlike Oshii´s work then by all means you must watch Sky Crawlers , or Jin Roh (wasnt directed by him , but in all intents and puposes its an Oshii film :P) , altho not anime you could also watch Avalon. For a series I would recommend Serial Experiments Lain. Vampire Hunter D, Ruroini Kenshin movies (those are awesome) , Evangelion , Berserk , Elfen Lied.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By DoctorWelch

Berserk, Gun Grave, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The latter is a little more "for kids" with stupid anime tropes filling it, but once it gets going it's great.

I would really go with Berserk. My favorite anime.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Phatmac: I will revert you back to your glorious anime state!

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

@Tylea002 said:

My favourite anime is Code Geass, but that's mostly just because of how unbelievably bonkers it is, all the time.

It's great, but I don't really watch much anime, so apart from that can't help ya.

You're an awesome person for that. Just thought I should say that.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Whenever the opportunity presents itself i must say Towards the Terra, one the the best shows i've seen.

Alos Fate/Zero

Darker that Black

Baccano! is another really good one so might as well throw that in.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By mracoon
@Bigheart711 said:

@killacam: You can ask the anime fans in that thread over there because this one will most likely be treated as a dupe. I'm one of them BTW so I'll help you out over there. ;)

Stick to that thread, please.