So what's your favorite achievement? Insanely hard, or the grinde

Izick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Izick

Okay, so I just got done with the Toes achievement in TMNT: R, and it was extremely tough, I mean it was BRUTAL....and when I finally got it (after several hours; no joke) I realized that it just wasn't worth it....it was one of those insanely hard achievements, that aren't even worth it at the end of the day...

Then I thought back to one of my last achievements, which was that I reached level 30 for the final time in Fallout 3. Now I can say that I am not an achievement monger, but I'm proud that I got those. I can say that they WERE worth it just for sentimental value.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I love the grinding achievements (please no lame sex and/or dance jokes). The ones that take a lot of hard work, that you never get too frustrated....but when you finally get it...you're....satisfied. You feel like you really have accomplished a feat in the game world.

And I can also say that for the same in games as a whole. I'd rather go for the...what 70 some achievements in Fallout 3 (I currently have 68, I think) than go after the...12 in say....Megaman 9 (Which I currently have 1 or 2 I think...maybe 0, haha!)...

So, that's just me, how about you all?

Izick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Izick

Please! Don't all post at once!!!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Karmum

It depends on how long the grind is, and on the flipside, how "insanely hard" it would take to get an achievement (i.e. Mile High Club). I'd prefer to grind it out, because from experience, I've had to unlock some insanely hard achievements that nearly took my sanity away from me.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Metroid545
@Izick said:
"  Okay, so I just got done with the Toes achievement in TMNT: R, and it was extremely tough, I mean it was BRUTAL....and when I finally got it (after several hours; no joke) I realized that it just wasn't worth it....it was one of those insanely hard achievements, that aren't even worth it at the end of the day...Then I thought back to one of my last achievements, which was that I reached level 30 for the final time in Fallout 3. Now I can say that I am not an achievement monger, but I'm proud that I got those. I can say that they WERE worth it just for sentimental value.So I guess what I'm saying is that I love the grinding achievements (please no lame sex and/or dance jokes). The ones that take a lot of hard work, that you never get too frustrated....but when you finally get it...you're....satisfied. You feel like you really have accomplished a feat in the game world.And I can also say that for the same in games as a whole. I'd rather go for the...what 70 some achievements in Fallout 3 (I currently have 68, I think) than go after the...12 in say....Megaman 9 (Which I currently have 1 or 2 I think...maybe 0, haha!)...So, that's just me, how about you all? "
goddamn the toe acheivement had my screaming the hell out of my tv
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I never knew the word grind was French.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
@TheMustacheHero said:
"I never knew the word grind was French. "

What, you've never heard of "Le Grinde"?  

Anyway, I honestly don't see why both can't have a place side by side. Imo a good achievement list is a smattering of easy, difficult, interesting, grinding and difficult achievements. Even better if none of them are multiplayer, all multiplayer achievements do is fuck up the multiplayer, either you'll run into people not interested in the game and only the achieves, hence your team will probably lose because of it, or etc etc, either way achieve hunters don't want to boost them, and multiplayer fans don't want boosters ruining multiplay. No multiplayer achieves, everybody wins. 

A good mix is what games should be aiming for, enough to keep you smiling as you progress through the game, as well as doing odd or interesting things like "Killing two people while blinded with a flashbang" or other odds and ends, while collecting things, and then finally the difficult ones. A balance is what's best imo, it gives everyone a certain sense of achievement, while giving the more hardcore devotees something to aim towards. 

Multiplayer 'achievements' should be kept CoD4 style to rankings and medals/etc.