#1 Edited by Nephrahim (1121 posts) -

In the lead-up to E3 Patrick claimed that he had people telling him things like:

The publishers were pushing DRM.

PS3 DRM would be similar if not identical to the XB1.

Apple would announce a controller or some some of gamepad support for Apple TV.

Just off the top of my head. All of these turned out to be false (Well, the first is arguable, but at least EA is denying it) so I'm wondering, has he given any hints to where he was getting all this info from? Because it seems like it was all wildly off...

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Well, the nature of inside info is that we'll most likely never know where he got it from. The source might have been legitimate, but their information might have been dated or interpreted incorrectly.

But yeah, a lot of "inside info" the Giant Bomb crew in general cited about the PS4 and the Xbox One's DRM turned out to be false. I suppose we don't know if publishers were the one's pushing for it, but as things stand it could also make sense that Microsoft were the one's pushing publishers and not the other way around.

#3 Posted by Clonedzero (4194 posts) -

I dont think he had sources on any of that, I think it was mostly speculation.

I can't recall patrick ever saying anything abut Apple making a gamepad.

#4 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1414 posts) -

I took the Apple gamepad thing as a joke, because I remember him saying it like a joke.

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Patrick had inside info that Apple eats other people's lunch money....

#6 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Publishers are always pushing DRM. I don't see how that one is false. They want to do whatever they can to make sure their products aren't stolen. As for Sony's DRM, the system and games aren't out yet so we don't know what their actual DRM policy will be. Didn't they say they were throwing that responsibility back to the publishers? We have no clue if they'll require some sort of check-in.

#7 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

An apple eating your lunch money. Terrifying.

#8 Posted by endoworks (284 posts) -

I have heard crazier "inside" source comments. My guess is what he heard just didn't happen.

#9 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

People hear things from people they think can be trusted but they heard it from someone else who heard from someone else who had no idea or misunderstood.

I'm sure that the decision about DRM was discussed with a group of less than 50 people within sony directly, in so far as making a decision yes/no.

There really would be no reason to go about telling everyone within the company if they truly felt that it was a meaningless thing to pursue, and there wouldn't really be much talks with publishers, they would have just dismissed any requests for online requirements or drm.

#10 Posted by Inkerman (1450 posts) -

In the lead-up to E3 Patrick claimed that he had people telling him things like:

The publishers were pushing DRM.

PS3 DRM would be similar if not identical to the XB1.

Apple would announce a controller or some some of gamepad support for Apple TV.

Just off the top of my head. All of these turned out to be false (Well, the first is arguable, but at least EA is denying it) so I'm wondering, has he given any hints to where he was getting all this info from? Because it seems like it was all wildly off...

Some of the stuff might have been old, like Adam Boyes said, the firm 'No DRM' decision at Sony only came after the anti-DRM shitstorm. Another possibility is that Sony deliberately let people think the PS4 would have DRM, so when they announced it wouldn't, everyone was much happier. In any case, it's clear nobody thought the PS4 would not have DRM.

Also, I have a feeling that he got the 'publishers pushing DRM' info from Microsoft, who may have been trying to cover their ass, or maybe EA was pushing DRM, but other companies were less interested. Never heard the Apple thing.

#11 Posted by Freshbandito (677 posts) -

I'd keep in mind that alot of the first 2 points he brought up were just generally the thoughts going around the gaming community pre-e3 and that he was really just voicing what alot of people were thinking rather than giving juicy insider info from dark and mysterious sources. The 3rd yeah I'm pretty sure that was mentioned as a joke about apple 'sticking it to the big e3'

#12 Posted by MEATBALL (3155 posts) -

I don't think Patrick ever pushed it as solid info anyway, it's not like he ran stories on it, merely mentioned the information and speculation he'd been getting.

#13 Edited by Nephrahim (1121 posts) -

While I can't know for sure, I didn't think the Apple comment was a joke. Told in a joking manner, sure, but half the things they say on the podcast are said like that.

#14 Posted by JasonR86 (9649 posts) -

I would imagine an insider.

#16 Edited by MattyFTM (14363 posts) -

All of the rumours from dozens of sources were claiming similar things with regards to DRM and the PS4. It's pretty clear that Sony were planning on implementing DRM, saw the reaction to the XB1 and u-turned.

I can't recall the exact apple comment, but weren't they talking on the bombcast about how ridiculous the speculation is about Apple doing something gaming related because their press conference was at the same time as E3, when it's the same every year? If it was part of that conversation, he was clearly joking. If it was serious, then perhaps Apple changed their mind? Or perhaps his source was wrong.

Either way, all of this is why Giant Bomb doesn't run news stories about rumours like this - because these things often turn out not to be true. They'll mention them on the bombcast and stuff, but they won't run a news story unless they're certain.

Moderator Online
#17 Edited by drgrumbles (205 posts) -

Probably Michael Pachter. He has always been right... oh wait no he is always wrong.

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (8715 posts) -

I heard similar rumors from a few people in the industry, at least as far as publisher pressure on both of the console makers for more system-level restrictions, and I thought that was likely. So, I was quite surprised by Sony's decision. I have to believe this wasn't set in stone, as that's the only explanation for why some developers had a different impression.

Though, this is why we mark rumors as rumors, because even people we trust can be mistaken or things change.

#19 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

@mattyftm: pretty sure he was serious about the apple stuff. Its from the sealed envelope podcast. He then goes on to accidently say apple is gonna eat the video games industries lunch money and hilarity ensues.

#20 Edited by JoeyRavn (4960 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@vinny_says said:

@clonedzero said:

An apple eating your lunch money. Terrifying.

It's like Soviet Russia all over again.

#21 Edited by Ramone (2960 posts) -

The apple thing wasn't a joke, he talks about it more during his audio diary thing from day 1 of the show.

#22 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -
  • He's adamant about this one. When he was talking about EA saying that they hadn't have meetings with MS and Sony about DRM policies, Patrick said "which is simply not true", so he seems pretty confident about it. (and it makes sense)
  • This one was across the board. About everyone out there was talking about how PS4 DRM policies would be very close to MS policies. I guess everyone was taken by surprise by it.
  • That's not the inside info he claimed. Patrick said that Apple were R&Ding a game controller not that they would announce one. He says that he didn't believe Apple would do it this year, but a year or two from now, who knows. He also said that Apple R&Ds a lot of stuff and most never see the light of day.
#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8123 posts) -

Industry sourcesss

#24 Edited by Zojirushi (61 posts) -

We all know that the videogames industry must have the worst inside sources of all industries.

I'm surprised anyone still gives a fuck whenever someone claims to have any sort of inside info.

In this matter I don't recall Patrick mentioning inside source bullshit, it was just his educated guess. To be honest I was with him. MS riding the DRM train on their own just seemed too crazy.

#25 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

THE CLOUD.

#26 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I've been reading about Apple doing a game controller for awhile too. So he's not full of shit.

#27 Posted by VarrosAnon (48 posts) -

Come on, it's always just friends rambling and not some secret Deep Throat scamming around and such. This isn't a story, or even really an interest. It's overanalyzing Patrick just throwing out random ideas he's probably discussed with colleagues.

#28 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Probably 4chan from Michael Microsoft or Sonya Sony.

No I actually don't know who his insider sources are. But usually it just means "friends of mine and I have been talking"

Or "My uncle from Nintendo" is also popular to use on forums

#29 Posted by freecajunlove (145 posts) -

Well, Apple did announce controller support for iOS 7. So that is probably where that info came from.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/12/4421534/ios-7-to-include-standardized-game-controller-support

#30 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

Given how unbelievably incorrect it was I'd say it came from this guy.

#31 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

And i like how he regularly laughed off suggestions that sony wouldn't follow MS lead.

#32 Edited by SpaceRunaway (860 posts) -

I don't doubt at all that the Sony DRM stuff was a recent change, but in the week(s) leading up to E3 there were rumors from the "established" leakers that Sony was planning to go in the opposite direction from Microsoft. I won't say I gave that rumor any credibility over any others, but I wanted to believe, so when it happened it was a pretty great non-surprise.

I do think it's really interesting how the crew threw a lot of shade on the rumors coming out around this E3 (I'm not criticizing them, mind you) and then the predictions by the established sources turned out to be almost, if not completely accurate.

That makes me wonder about some of the stuff CBOAT said which wasn't necessarily related to E3, such as Microsoft coming up with the DRM policy and taking it to publishers, as opposed to the other way around.

#33 Posted by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

@daneian said:

And i like how he regularly laughed off suggestions that sony wouldn't follow MS lead.

I know, they got everyone all scared for nothing.

#34 Posted by thugg1280 (88 posts) -

it's not over with sony yet they have said they would not have DRM does not mean EA ps4 games will not or others kind of left the door open for them.

#35 Edited by McLargepants (368 posts) -

Well Apple did announce third party controller support for it's devices in iOS7, that's not too far off! The rest of it, I imagine was speculation.

#36 Posted by Brodehouse (9760 posts) -

It means that he heard speculation that appeared to fit with the situation and adopted it as his own. I forget what the name of the effect is, but it's when one person says to another "I think it's X" when passed on to a third person it becomes "I heard maybe it's X" and when passed on to a fourth it becomes "I heard it's X". That's a high functioning rumor mill.

#37 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -

Jeff seems to know more about what's going on, and has the good sense to keep his mouth shut in public about it.

#38 Edited by Wuddel (2082 posts) -

Even if he had "additional" sources: Protect your sources! Isn't that the first rule of journalism or something?

#39 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

The Patriots

#40 Posted by sarahsdad (1086 posts) -

@planetary said:

Jeff seems to know more about what's going on, and has the good sense to keep his mouth shut in public about it.

Reminds me about one of the guests on the Bombcast (Cliffy?) who said that most companies keep a file on the more recognized reviewers, and that one of the bullet points on Jeff's was "This guy knows his stuff".

#41 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Internet speculation because I don't think he would have gotten his information otherwise.

#42 Edited by sumjugei (45 posts) -

I guess I see it the other way, they are easily assumptions that could be wrongly made by insiders who didn't have the whole picture.

The publishers are pushing for ways to monetize used games, they have been for years.

If Microsoft has deals with third-parties, then assuming Sony would is the logical step. (That is part of what made the press conference a surprise)

Apple announced MFi.... so they announced controllers for iOS not AppleTV.