• 52 results
Posted by Haruko (290 posts) 6 months, 20 days ago

Poll: So who is going to blink first? (Price cuts on next gen) (244 votes)

XONE 60%
PS4 2%
Wii U Again 38%

So we've seen the numbers with both consoles breaking 3 million units the XONE being openly available and the PS4 being still hard to find and the Wii U selling around 4 million in total after the $50 price cut and over a year on the market, the next big step after the software line up this year is who do you think will blink first on price?

Working in retail part time I have to say what I hear from customers the number one reason people aren't buying the XONE even though its available is the price point, and while $399 is not a small amount of money its a lot easier to stomach than $499. While I know its absolutely too early to be talking price cuts especially from the early sales numbers I have to say I'm guessing near the end of the year we'll be seeing at least a $50 cut on the XONE, if not both consoles to both goose sales and to stay competitive.

We've seen it repeatedly over the last generation of consoles and handhelds that competitive price cuts have helped sales immensely. From the major price cuts and redesign of the PS3, the drastic early price cut of the 3ds, and the well timed and needed price cut of the Wii U it seems pretty likely that we'll be seeing a cut from one or both its just a question of who when and more importantly how much.

#1 Posted by ILikePopCans (746 posts) -

In a year, XBO will go down $100.

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4821 posts) -

Wii U for sure

#3 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I'm more concerned about the stupid fucking game price hike that has happened in the UK. Games should not cost the equivalent of $80 you money grabbing pricks.

I saw Ghosts in store for £62, that's about $100, yup.

edit: and the Xbone will go cheaper without the Kinect forced on people. Guaranteed to happen within a year, 18 months max.

#4 Posted by Haruko (290 posts) -

Forgot to put my full prediction.

There is no and I repeat no way the XONE stays $499 by christmas $450 is workable if they throw in a game but damn it needs something. The Wii U deluxe hits $250 and I'm gonna guess they start throwing in Knack or something with new PS4s but no price drop this year.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4101 posts) -

Xbox will make a cut to match the PS4, when? Not for awhile. This upcoming E3 would be too soon for that i think. Wii U will probably get a price cut though.

#6 Posted by MB (12089 posts) -

I'm expecting a Wii U price cut by around E3 and then an Xbone price cut or a new SKU by Black Friday 2014.

#7 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

so..... uhhhhh..... steam machine might be either 1,500 or 6,000 and we are talking about PS4, Xbone and Wii U dropping in price? People are still willing to pay an arm and leg for this stuff for a while now. Maybe 2 years in maybe.

#8 Edited by Flappy (2143 posts) -

Wii U

XONE

Vita Memory Cards

PS4

I have seen the future and it is filled with video games.

#9 Posted by RonGalaxy (2925 posts) -

OUYA OR DIE

#10 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (898 posts) -

PS4 already had it's price drop.

It happened before the console's price was officially announced.

#11 Edited by Hunkulese (2658 posts) -

@crithon: Steam machines are PCs. What do they have to do with anything? $1500 is pretty normal for a prebuilt gaming PC.

#12 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3766 posts) -

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Xbox One, on the account of it being higher from the start. Wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as a Kinect unbundling as well.

#13 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

@flappy said:

Vita Memory Cards

This is what I want, I refuse to buy more Vita games until the memory card prices drop so I can get a bigger card.

#14 Posted by Nightriff (4936 posts) -

Wii U again. Another price cut and a zelda game and ill pick one up

#15 Edited by KaneRobot (1440 posts) -

50 dollar XBone price cut around late summer/fall. Funny thing is it wouldn't even be the fastest Xbox price cut ever, Xbox 1 went down like...four months after launch or something? Six?

Also going to predict no Kinect-less version until 2015 - if ever. I don't think it's guaranteed that there will be a version like that just because it doesn't require it anymore. They are selling a lot of consoles, no reason for them to think about getting rid of it yet. Frankly, the way that interface is right now, I wouldn't want to face it without a Kinect. It's already kind of a mess even with it.

#16 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

@hunkulese: in deed, I just think there's a market for over pricing tech. Until we see new models or just bundled sku then we will see a price cut.

#17 Posted by golguin (3852 posts) -

I want the PS4 to have a price drop. I'd like to buy one for Destiny, but I can't do it at full price. Maybe a bundle with Destiny for $50 off.

#18 Edited by Chaser324 (6349 posts) -

I'm guessing we'll see a Wii U price cut at some point in 2014. I'm not expecting Sony or Microsoft to do any straight up price cuts, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some new SKUs with a pack in game or, in the case of MS, a cheaper SKU that removes the Kinect.

I hope to hell Sony drops the price on Vita memory cards, too. Seriously...how do they justify those prices when nearly identical micro SD cards are so much cheaper?

#19 Edited by Mr_croft (35 posts) -

I don't see won't dropping price anytime soon. They already cut it to beat the xbox. Xbox will go down to 400-450 bundled with a game or extra controller. It would be interesting to see what would have happened if both consoles were 399....

Edit: those vita memory cards tho *shudder* that's why the ps4 is only 399 lol! They make it up in vita memory card prices!

#20 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (542 posts) -

The Wii U should dump the gamepad and make it an optional add-on and sell the system for $100 less. Right now its biggest benefit, the off tv play, is its biggest achilles heel because developers can't really fully integrate the gamepad into the gameplay because they have to make their games playable for off tv. So, just make it an optional feature and get more hardware into more people's hands.

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

Strictly between the PS4 and Xbox, it'll be Xbox. They just announced 3 million sold, which is awesome but it's not nearly as awesome as Sony's 4.3 million. It's apparent that they still have quite a bit of catching up to do despite a stronger launch lineup. And with the PS4's Japanese launch a month away, I'll be really curious to see where things stand once the dust settles after that and the Titanfall launch. I have to imagine that I won't be the only one buying an Xbox for that game, but I'm not confident it'll be big enough to overcome the gap that they'll be faced with.

#22 Posted by l4wd0g (1917 posts) -

I think it comes down to how many units Titanfall moves. If it doesn't sell systems they may drop the price and maybe Kinect. I still don't know what the Sony exclusive is going to be in 2014, but I doubt they'll drop the price. The Wii U is just in a bad place sales wise, but I love mine.

#23 Posted by Humanity (8874 posts) -
@sooty said:

I'm more concerned about the stupid fucking game price hike that has happened in the UK. Games should not cost the equivalent of $80 you money grabbing pricks.

edit: and the Xbone will go cheaper without the Kinect forced on people. Guaranteed to happen within a year, 18 months max.

The mighty UK has finally joined the rest of the world in shitty non-US game pricing.

Welcome.

#24 Posted by Castiel (2541 posts) -

Xone. PS4 will at the earliest get a price cut when it is a year old, but even then I doubt we will see one. As far as I understand PS4 sells pretty well and they don't need a price reduction, where as Xbox One isn't price competitive with PS4 and it's hurting them together with a bad reputation.

#25 Posted by Sergio (2055 posts) -

I think the Wii U will drop $50 by the end of the year, but not by replacing the gamepad. The Xbox One will probably drop $100 by the end of the year by removing the Kinect.

#26 Posted by Fattony12000 (7102 posts) -
@humanity said:
@sooty said:

The mighty UK has finally joined the rest of the world in shitty non-US game pricing.

Welcome.

£39.85 from ShopTo.

#27 Edited by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

If Nintendo were in a position to sell the system for even less, I think they would've done it with the last price drop. It's only been a few months. The price isn't the reason that system isn't selling anyways, and they know it, because they had to discontinue the cheaper model due to lack of interest.

The PS4 has no reason to cut its price. It's not even staying in stock and it hasn't even launched in Japan yet which is a huge territory for them. The words "price drop" won't even be so much as a far off thought for them until they're meeting demand.

So the Xbox is the most likely candidate. Still, even with most places staying in stock, they've been bragging all over the place about how well it's selling. Considering it's one of the most successful launches in history I think it will be a while before they feel the need to drop the price.

I expect no price cuts from any of the 3 systems in 2014.

#28 Edited by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

I guess I'm just too conditioned on the idea that with big-ticket item purchases that will presumably be of use for multiple years, spending an extra hundred dollars isn't going to be that much in the long term. Besides the fact that, while the Kinect is largely useless so far when it comes to actual game playing, it actually does provide some nifty enhancements to the general usage of the console. You aren't spending $100 more for nothing. I guess that's on MS to do a better job of getting the word out.

You won't see an official price cut on a PS4 or Xbox One until mid to late 2015, but you will see cheaper bundles and small sale prices towards 2014 holiday shopping season. The first Xbox One price cut will coincide with an alternative, Kinect-less package to compete at the price of the PS4 at that time.

I'm really not sure about the Wii U. It will certainly see the same "on sale" prices that the other consoles will, but I'm not sure about an official and permanent drop. Maybe another $50 for holiday 2014?

#29 Edited by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

@sooty: This happens at the beginning of every new gen though. I remember when the Ps3 launched games were £49.99. Hopefully soonish they'll drop back down to £40 or so for new games. But if they're that high right now, I fear they may up rest between £45-50 in the future for new releases

#30 Edited by MattyFTM (14354 posts) -

Sony have the upper hand on price and don't have to make a move. With the screen in the Wii U's controller, I imagine the manufacturing cost of the Wii U being quite high, and therefore I don't think Nintendo can afford a price drop. So that leaves Microsoft. It'll be the Xbox One.

#31 Edited by MattyFTM (14354 posts) -
@sooty said:

The thing is, games should cost the equivalent of $80 in the UK. Well, not far off, anyway. Take the US price, add 20% tax, and you're nearer to $80 than you are to $60. Take into account other higher costs involved in doing business in the UK, and $80 probably leads to similar margins for the publisher as they get selling it at $60 in the US.

£62 is ridiculous though. But that isn't the standard, that's one store trying to take advantage. Generally we get a better deal on new games than Americans because our hyper-competitive retail market leads to large discounts on launch, and even larger ones shortly after. Whereas in the US games are nearly always $60 at virtually every retailer, and they generally stay at that price for a long while after launch.

#32 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

WiiU, then Xbone. Both will get their prices cut in 2014.

Can the 2% please explain why Sony should even consider messing with the price within the foreseeable future? The PS4 is a steal and it's selling like hotcakes. And the good PS4 excusives haven't even started hitting the market yet.

#33 Edited by Chaser324 (6349 posts) -

@cptbedlam said:

Can the 2% please explain why Sony should even consider messing with the price within the foreseeable future?

The margin of error for people randomly voting with no particular motivation and accidental clicks has to be larger than 2%.

#34 Edited by RazielCuts (2942 posts) -

@mb said:

I'm expecting a Wii U price cut by around E3 and then an Xbone price cut or a new SKU by Black Friday 2014.

Yup, pretty much this. If not before for XB1 if it's not shifting as much as MS wants it to. The Wii U is going to get into a weird situation soon where it'll be creeping up to 3DS pricing soon. Where can it go from there?

#35 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@humanity said:
@sooty said:

Welcome.

£39.85 from ShopTo.

£48 a month or two ago, and the £62 was an in-store price which is still an increase of £20.

#36 Edited by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

I think the safe answer here is the Wii U will likely drop it's price first. Microsoft could remove the kinect and reduce the price, but I would imagine that won't happen till much later in the year.

#37 Edited by SomeJerk (3159 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that MS will continue threatening retailers with bad things if anybody takes a photo of their left-over Xbone stock, preserve arrogance and not cut the price until it's too late. We'll see and hopefully be positively surprised by a good respectable pricecut.

#38 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

First Nintendo Wii U with a rather heavy Price cut. After that? I do not think that Microsoft will have a Price cut but rather the much rumored Kinect less XBox one first which should be around the Ps4 price then.

#39 Edited by librariangmr (179 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One got the first price drop. Makes me wonder if they'll do anything with that at E3, though it might be too soon for that.

#40 Posted by Reisz (1462 posts) -

Sony has absolutely no reason to move their hardware price. Won't happen outside of sales until 2016 would be my bet. I seriously expect a new price for the Wii U before Microsoft are willing to move on the Xone too. At this point it would look weak and the way they've been putting out sales numbers means they aren't willing to accept that yet. Who knows, if the games are right they may not have to.

#41 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2315 posts) -

Probably the Xbox One in 2015. The Wii U and Ps4 are about as low as they can go.

Also I hope Sony gets their shit together on Memory card prices for Vita.

#42 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1096 posts) -

If Nintendo does not do a cut around the time of their next financial results at the end of the month, then it will be Microsoft. They have a ton of hardware sitting on store shelves right now, and it will not look good if the PS4 continues to sell at the rate it is in North America.

#43 Posted by afabs515 (1015 posts) -

I voted Wii U, but honestly it's a toss-up between Nintendo and Microsoft. The Xbox One is doing fine from all the reports Microsoft has given, but I'm pretty sure Sony is doing better. Nintendo needs to get their shit together and do some marketing, but since I don't think they're gonna do that, they'll probably have a price cut soon as well. Sony is doing just fine with the PS4 right now and doesn't need to make a move until Microsoft does.

#44 Edited by pyrodactyl (1896 posts) -

@crithon said:

so..... uhhhhh..... steam machine might be either 1,500 or 6,000 and we are talking about PS4, Xbone and Wii U dropping in price? People are still willing to pay an arm and leg for this stuff for a while now. Maybe 2 years in maybe.

You would have a point if anyone was buying steam machines. My guess is they'll sell less than a million accross all SCUs in the next year and only to crazy people (Iddle Thumbs, I'm looking at you). The steam machine is only a conduit for their OS so they can turn it into the dominant gaming OS in 10 years.

Looking at their current strategy I don't think they're on the right track to make that happen. Seriously, who is dumb enough to pay a premium for a valve branded PC that can't play half the games you want unless you put a proper OS on it? What will convince EA, ubisoft and activision to port their top games on linux so that the steam machine becomes a viable platform instead of shittier PC?

#45 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

@crithon said:

You would have a point if anyone was buying steam machines. My guess is they'll sell less than a million accross all SCUs in the next year and only to crazy people (Iddle Thumbs, I'm looking at you). The steam machine is only a conduit for their OS so they can turn it into the dominant gaming OS in 10 years.

Looking at their current strategy I don't think they're on the right track to make that happen. Seriously, who is dumb enough to pay a premium for a valve branded PC that can't play half the games you want unless you put a proper OS on it? What will convince EA, ubisoft and activision to port their top games on linux so that the steam machine becomes a viable platform instead of shittier PC?

the Steam OS is basically Android. But to be honest, even if they are dropping their hat in the ring, the beta of Steam Box has a Nvidia Titan graphic card, the other Alienware or other smaller design boxes are probably going to use laptop chipsets. You just have to look at it like the Android, except for the fact that the beta box sounds insanely pricey then just a cheap laptop to run Don't Starve and TF2.

#46 Posted by BRich (431 posts) -

Xbox One will probably cut $50 and throw in a digital game by the end of the 2014. PS4 will soon follow suit with a $50 cut or a disc bundled in.

#47 Edited by Spoonman671 (4568 posts) -

I hope it's the Wii U, but I think Xbox would benefit most from a drop.

#48 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

I hope: Wii U

I know: Xbox One

#49 Edited by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Microsoft should just sell those white XONEs. That's million bucks right there. But seriously, I think MS will wait and see how many units Titanfall moves before deciding any financials.

When people say they'll get rid of kinect sooner rather than later I always think about how the WiiU still comes with a tablet controller. They are different things but if you ask me they're both equally unnecessary. How long will either stick to their guns?

Oh and Sony has no reason to cut anything at the moment, I wouldn't even have added them to the poll haha

#50 Edited by hollitz (1445 posts) -

I hope it's the Wii U.