#1 Edited by Confirm4Crit (143 posts) -

So, uh, yea.

I'm diving into CompSci courses at FAU next fall, and I want to spend the entire summer and make something small and fun. Doesn't have to be some crazy master piece, and I don't care if what comes out is GameJam quality in 4 months time, I just wanna do it.

I've been going though 3DBuzz and other tutorial sites, and had an interesting thought.

"What if anyone on GB wants to make a game with me?"

It doesn't have to be a GB themed game, (even though I really want to make a purse picking up simulator), and you don't have to be a programming wizz.

GameMaker is a powerful tool, and it's really easy to make small quick games with it.

Idk, just a thought. If anyone is interested, feel free to comment below and we can work on details.

----------------

Also, if you don't want to make a game with me, but want to do something yourself. I'm gonna start throwing options down below.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/xna-volume-1/hyperion-text-adventure-game

Learn C#, and then go forward into XNA (which isn't "dead", it just isn't getting support anymore). The later videos are behind a paywall, but tbh, they're worth it if you enjoyed the free stuff.

http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

Learn the basics of Unity, and make a couple incredibly solid prototypes, all free

http://www.csharpcourse.com/

Another C# resource, free (PDF textbook)

Also, don't be afraid to go use Google. Gamedev.net is also a great source for know how.

#2 Posted by Marcsman (3199 posts) -

Make love, not games. Fight the power.

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

I've actually been looking at Game Maker recently cause despite having zero knowledge of coding I've really wanted to actually make something. There's been a few community projects but both have died out. At this point until I get more familiar with something like Game Maker all I can contribute in is writing and design but yeah, like I said, still interested.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

Unity has a tutorial that they have been putting together, it doesn't appear to be done yet, but I've been contemplating going through that at some point if I ever get the time. http://unity3d.com/learn

#5 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

I can almost get a game going in Python and Pygame. I just haven't gone balls to the wall with it yet. I'd be interested in joining a project if it means actually getting something done or having a lead tell me what to write. I should say that I also am learning C and can do a bit of javascript and java. But I'm a little hazy on the syntax at the moment.

#6 Edited by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I'll write your item descriptions.

"A rugged knapsack, replete with copper buckles and lashvine strings."

"A police issue Beretta 92FS, with a modified grip. The serials have been scratched off."

"A small, flat stone."

#7 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

"A police issue Beretta 92FS, with a modified grip. The serials have been scratched off."

"A small, flat stone."

"A fork"

#8 Edited by chainreaction01 (179 posts) -

I'm interested in something like this. Learning C this semester and have enough background in coding to learn if I put time into it. Good practice seeing as I have no internships this summer.

#10 Edited by ThePhantomStranger (371 posts) -

I'm actually working on something in the free version of Game Maker Studio but I figured I should wait until I had something playable. I'm certainly interested in seeing what you come up with and if you or anyone else decides to work in game maker I think I'm familiar enough to help if needed.

#11 Posted by LikeaSsur (1532 posts) -

@jams said:

@brodehouse said:

"A small, flat stone."

"A fork"

Look out, Patrick Klepek! We have some writers that will rock the world!

#12 Edited by Darson (451 posts) -

I was planning on doing the same thing over the summer as well. Though I was mainly thinking about a mod since I could actually get it done and it's already a game. But hey, a game is cool too. I've messed with GameMaker before but I honestly prefer Scirra's Construct 2.

Udacity also has many courses in computer science (Python I believe) if anyone's interested.

#13 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I really want to use RPG Maker to make something one day, after seeing To The Moon was made on there, I realised you could do some cool shit with it and it seems not too hard to learn (at least relative to others).

#14 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I've been doing stuff in Unity recently, mostly getting hang of the interface, general C# and the scripting. So far I've got an empty plane where you can fly around (in two different flight-modes!) and place blocks on top of each other. So, yeah, I guess?

#15 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@confirm4crit: Just thought I'd let you know, if you didn't already, about Monogame. Some programmers have taken it upon themselves to rewrite the XNA framework so that it works (or will work) on all platforms. All. Platforms. There is a version available that lacks the content pipeline functionality of XNA but this is currently being worked on. So yeah, super cool. Actually, it's what Polytron is using to port Fez onto PC! Now you can be an undeservedly hated developer too!

#16 Posted by Flacracker (1674 posts) -

I need someone to help me create the best mod ever. And by help I mean take my idea and do all the work because I have no fucking clue how to code or model or any shit. Ok so here it is. It is a mod for the game Natural Selection II which is very open source so it should be easy I guess. Well Natural Selection 2 already has the RTS and FPS elements in place. The mod will be like FTL but where the crew are real players that play in first person. Then when they are at their station they get commands from the commander in the RTS view in a Space Team like fashion and the commander can also tell them to move around the ship. Then sometimes things will board the ship and then the crew can grab guns. God, it's the best fucking mod. I expect to be credited with the idea and I suggest the mod name to be Set Your Controls with THIS as the theme song.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Well, I do have this idea for a rap RPG.

#18 Posted by Confirm4Crit (143 posts) -

I think what'll do is some point next week I'll compile a poll, see what we would use to make it, and then from there, just get some public docs up and just have the community pitch in with whatever they want idea and asset wise. All just for fun :D

Whoa. Dish o.o

If a health pot is some Gin and Juice, I'm in.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

Whoa. Dish o.o

It's not something I can just open up about. I've tried a couple of times, but I feel that I need to organize it all into notes or whatever. Right now, all I can say is that the battle system is a combination of Legaia and Mother 3/The Legend of Dragoon, and this is the boss music.

#20 Edited by Butano (1738 posts) -

I think what'll do is some point next week I'll compile a poll, see what we would use to make it, and then from there, just get some public docs up and just have the community pitch in with whatever they want idea and asset wise. All just for fun :D

@video_game_king said:

Whoa. Dish o.o

If a health pot is some Gin and Juice, I'm in.

Set it in the Wild Wild West, and I'm in!

#21 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@butano:

I'm thinking more an East/West thing. That way, I can say "At the turn of the century, the world was split into two - East and West. This marked the beginning of the era known as the Rap War."

#22 Edited by On1inepersona (119 posts) -

I've always wanted to experience writing for a video game.
That said I have no other skills, but would be interested.

#23 Posted by Anomareh (92 posts) -

I will one day when I manage to find my artist counterpart. Every time I try to start I feel the need to start with assets, I toss open Photoshop, hate every single thing I make and stop.