#1 Posted by pyrodactyl (2713 posts) -

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

Here's the source: http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/28/xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/

That seems bad for BF4 and COD Xbox one players

#2 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

Considering rational, non-rabid people are talking about this on twitter, I'm much more willing to believe it.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (16320 posts) -

Man, this console launch is going to be fun. Getting my popcorn and watching the fireworks from the sidelines.

#4 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2353 posts) -

All Digital Retail; the FUTURE!!!

I wouldn't expect PSN or XBL to work on the first week anyway. Hell, I expect the 360 and PS3 to have troubles connecting.

#5 Posted by cbk486 (219 posts) -

I don't know the history of the website you posted. Is this legitimate?

#6 Posted by RecSpec (4625 posts) -

Jeff seemed to weigh in on this as well. Actually I read that before I saw that source.

Would explain multiplayer games being shown on PS4. And would be a fucking disaster for the industry in general. Not just MS. Nobody likes to see a first round knockout.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (19550 posts) -

So glad I'm not getting these systems right away.

#8 Posted by JDillinger (174 posts) -

@cbk486: FamousMortimer (Pete Dodd) has been spot on all the things he has leaked this year. Most recently confirmation that Driveclub was delayed.

#9 Edited by personandstuff (188 posts) -

Seems sketchy as all hell.

#10 Posted by DriveupLife (1147 posts) -

Dodd Scientifics what a credible source of all my video game news.

#12 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

#13 Posted by pyrodactyl (2713 posts) -

@cbk486 said:

I don't know the history of the website you posted. Is this legitimate?

@cbk486: FamousMortimer (Pete Dodd) has been spot on all the things he has leaked this year. Most recently confirmation that Driveclub was delayed.

I'm sure Patrick will have something to say about all that stuff tomorrow morning.

#14 Posted by Slag (5550 posts) -

I'm going to guess it's probably not anywhere near that bad as these things to get blow way out of proportion before a console launch, but anyway yet another reason to wait until after launch to buy.

#15 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (195 posts) -

This sucks for those who might be affected. Let's hope there software guys still have the energy left after launch to fix the bugs.

#16 Posted by Will1Lucky (412 posts) -

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65304165708/this-is-still-breaking-news-but-do-you-want-to

This is now getting thrown around a lot, this isn't exactly clear but it doesn't sound good.

#17 Posted by pyrodactyl (2713 posts) -

@personandstuff said:

Named sources are almost never an option with that kind of story. If true I would expect all these sources to be sued/fired for breaking NDAs if their name was in the article. It almost sounds like Kutchera is a little butthurt for not being the first to break the story.

#18 Posted by chrissedoff (2244 posts) -

This sounds pretty irrelevant if we've still got 4 weeks to go before it's out.

#19 Posted by AgnosticJesus (547 posts) -

I read that the OS is so broken that we'll actually have to boot the game from DOS prompt. Aso, the PS4 is having major overheating issues.

#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65304165708/this-is-still-breaking-news-but-do-you-want-to

This is now getting thrown around a lot, this isn't exactly clear but it doesn't sound good.

Again the same can be said for Sony.

#21 Posted by Will1Lucky (412 posts) -

Indeed it can, I hope both consoles get very detailed reviews before they launch because the lack of live showings of both is staggering at this stage.

#22 Posted by cbk486 (219 posts) -

@jdillinger: Thanks for the background!

It's a great time to be a PC gamer, but I feel for those engineers at both Microsoft and Sony. Hopefully they get some well deserved compensation.

#23 Edited by ToxicCurve (33 posts) -

@cbk486: Agreed, wish they would release Forza 5 on PC, then I could dodge the launch mess.

#24 Posted by subyman (704 posts) -

Oh well, I'll just cruise the PS4's system menu and watch netflix.

#25 Posted by Hunkulese (2968 posts) -

Doesn't really seem like that big of a deal.

#26 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -

@will1lucky said:

Again the same can be said for Sony.

they will be showing it pretty soon. It will be part of a huge FAQ with video etc.

As for the OS for the One. There were several reports about it from people who played on this Truck thingy etc. Famous Mortimer is a really solid source. This was also the guy who did this no DRM campaign if you can remember that. Also leaked everything E3 related like Kingdom hearts etc.

#27 Posted by jimmyfenix (3941 posts) -

Jeff is dropping bombs on tumblr. I agree with him when he says the X1 dash kinda looks fake with its multitasking.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

This sounds pretty irrelevant if we've still got 4 weeks to go before it's out.

Still, if it's true, that could be one hell of a Day 1 patch.

#29 Posted by rachelepithet (1598 posts) -

Being disconnected from party chat once in a while isn't a broken OS. I can't get Windows Media Center to work on my 369 but I don't go around looking a refund and reparations and calling the 360 doomed.

#30 Posted by isomeri (1780 posts) -

Reading the guys past posts I don't think that he should be taken seriously as a source. But it's clear that neither OS is really going to be ready at launch and I'm equally worried for both of them. Still friend requests and parties not working at launch wouldn't be such a big issue for me since very few of my friends will be getting the Xbox One before next summer.

#31 Posted by Zekhariah (700 posts) -

I sort of think OS issues should be expected; my main objection to xbox is still obnoxiously pay-walling functions that a 35 dollar dongle can perform (being 720p centric is also a little weird, considering how long mainstream PCs have been there).

But large software projects usually take some time to come together. And regardless of how it looks now, I would expect something to break when it goes live. It reminds me at all the shock (at least in congress) regarding the US gov's health exchange website having issues; since its pretty much like every major internet launch ever. At worst this should not be an issue to haunt MS for years like RROD.... so I don't really get the interest in it. Complaints regarding the Wii U requiring a day-1 patch for a lot of functions are kind of in this vein too.

#33 Posted by DonPixel (2737 posts) -

Man, this console launch is going to be fun. Getting my popcorn and watching the fireworks from the sidelines.

yep having a nice gaming PC means I really have no reason to buy neither console... the launch thou, Its gonna be fun to watch.

#34 Edited by Mcfart (1856 posts) -

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

Here's the source: http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/28/xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/

That seems bad for BF4 and COD Xbox one players

Sounds like a console launch to me! Exciting!

#35 Edited by JayEH (585 posts) -

System ain't out yet y'all no need to get fussed about this.

#36 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -

more from him

Still haven't read anything in here... my wife just turned old (aka the same age as me) and everything is exploding at once which was my master plan all along even though I pay for my website/podcast.

Anyway, the source I've been talking to has read this. He said...

"If anyone wants to know why I didn't report this earlier to an insider, its because I didn't think it had a chance to be there at launch.

Like others have said, these things have issues up to launch. But I was buying into the "they'll have it fixed in time" like everyone else. Then when the architecture for XBL on X1 was explained to me, and where they were at with fixing issues, and what else was waiting to pop up and I heard what others were going through, I realized that it wouldn't be fixed. It still might, but it looks bad from this angle."

And evidently "matt" verified something. I don't know who matt is and I don't know what her verified. But that's what my source says. It's fucking hard to keep up with this shit.

While I'm feeling surly. #PS4NoDRM - you guys write about it and have podcasts about it, and - yes - I remember all that said we were hopeless.

Cod 720p - Sure seemed to be a topic on podcasts this weekend. CheapyD confirmed it several days later and Gies responded to him about how it likely won't be fixed.

Right now Ben Kuchera is telling everyone to doubt me. Most who don't follow this forum probably are. People who do follow this forum know I had the ps4 reveal, the xb1 reveal, the xb1 e3 (12/15 games!), the ps4 reveal, the only person on this forum going against cboat/etc that the PS4 wasn't launching in October, the driveclub delay, cod 720p... any now this.

So was it a long con? Did I get inside info on all of that shit so I could screw everyone at the very last second? I would almost believe that if it wasn't sony. They aren't that competent. I actually offered myself, sexually(not sexually), to Adam Boyes early last summer and he said "You aren't qualified."

I'm not. But evidently I can still do some shit from out here. And I'm so goddamn poor Im selling off my ps4/xbox1 preorders that I made on day one that I won't get. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Anyway, when this is also correct, and we'll wait till the end of november for that to happen, if you're going to base your website/podcast on what I say you can just reach out to me. My fucking email in everywhere. I get 1900000 spam messages a day, just to keep it open to people. I think I just won a million british pounds. But the point is that if you're going to talk about what I bring up... talk to me. I'm smart-ish. Im slightly funny. I also don't make a penny off of any of this. My blog is on wordpress, the ads give them money. My podcast, like wordpress, costs money. So I spend about $300 a year doing what I do. This year I've gotten a lot of donations (thank you if you're reading!) which cover this year but not all years. Not that I think all years should be covered. I'm not great at making podcasts (or good... mediocre, maybe?).

My email is blowing up. I have about 100 comments to read - not tonight, to be truthful I started drinking heavily after posting. I'm anxious, you guys kinda scare me. But I'll read the comments. And the tweets. And if I see links in from n4g or reddit or 4chan or wherever I'll read all of that as well. I always do. Does that make me egotistical? Or paranoid? Or drunk?

Everyone spewing bullshit at me - lets talk on November 22nd. It's a deal.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87780874&postcount=1548

#37 Posted by Omnomnivore (2940 posts) -

You all must be bored to jump on this kind of stuff so rabidly. Just calm down and enjoy the games you already have. Shit will sort itself out without spontaneous forum postings that act like the world is ending at every turn.

#38 Posted by MEATBALL (3961 posts) -
@personandstuff said:

I'm personally not paying this stuff much attention, reading the gossip as a curiosity more than anything else. But I just wanted to say I have trouble seeing Kuchera as a voice of reason after seeing him consistently go to bat for Microsoft, if things really are in disarray it really wouldn't surprise me to see Kuchera talking like everything is okay.

That said, all of this craziness is making me happy I couldn't afford either console at launch, it'll be super interesting what both systems' foils are when they hit and if things get disastrous for either party.

#39 Edited by Verendus (363 posts) -

"Beta tested in the future"

For 500$.

If this is true it sucks for X1 owners.

#40 Posted by BigJeffrey (5075 posts) -

meh if there is a issue it will get sorted out, i just want to play crimson dragon.

#41 Posted by ripelivejam (6143 posts) -

@subyman said:

Oh well, I'll just cruise the PS4's system menu and watch netflix.

NO YOU FOOL YOU'LL BURN YOUR HOUSE TO THE GROUND

#42 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -

News flash: It's not even out yet.

#43 Posted by PandaBear (1484 posts) -

So those pre-release consoles from an unnamed source using an old firmware that will most likely be patched on day one of launch are having performance issues? Well fuck me sideways... in less than a month we'll know the truth.

#44 Posted by SomeJerk (3645 posts) -

It was intended to be released in 2014, anything else is a lie no matter who says it.

#45 Edited by Xeiphyer (5681 posts) -

Things are broken before the consoles come out oh my god!!!!!!11

Who cares? This is all just rumorshit and fear mongering. Of course things aren't working properly, its not out yet, and that's why its not out yet. If it was all working perfect I would assume we would already be playing on our Xbox Unos. Day 1 patches are a thing, and you'd be surprised what a few hundred employees can do in a few weeks, assuming any of this nonsense is true.

I'll care when its broken at launch.

#46 Posted by BisonHero (8452 posts) -

I assume the firmware/OS and the network will be shaky as fuck for both the XB1 and PS4. You'd have to be crazy to think these launches are going to be remotely smooth.

#47 Posted by Devil240Z (3923 posts) -

its not even out yet...

#48 Edited by Draxyle (1935 posts) -

With the complete turnaround in MS's policies, I was definitely putting money on the XB1 having a crazy rocky launch; there's no way in hell that engineering team would have had the time to make all those changes and work on making sure the console itself actually runs what it's supposed to in just under half a year. I don't think the PS4 will be perfect either, with all the features that are tenuously ready for launch at best. This winter is going to be interesting.

The old man (not really) in me feels irrationally angry to hear about OS's tied to consoles in the first place for some reason.

#49 Posted by Devil240Z (3923 posts) -

FUCK people! shit your pants after the damn thing launches.

#50 Edited by Humanity (11621 posts) -

These things need to come out already or the internet is going to implode.