Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Zimbo
@Claude said:
" I have no reason to click away from Giant Bomb unless I'm going to another Whiskey Media site. "
Me neither. The only  external site I tend to visit now is Youtube.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#102  Edited By Claude
@Zimbo said:
" @Claude said:
" I have no reason to click away from Giant Bomb unless I'm going to another Whiskey Media site. "
Me neither. The only  external site I tend to visit now is Youtube. "
I used to go to other gaming sites for news and other stuff, but there really isn't a need now. But yeah, I still like my Youtube.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#103  Edited By Rhaknar

hes doing an amazing work, andi thought he was great on this week´s bombcast (alot less...shy lets call it than last week). also, i said it in the bombcast comments, but as much as i love all the usual wackyness, someone talking straight up facts is seriously refreshing in the bombcast. seriously happy with patrick´s adition to the crew
crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By crimsonclown

He's been awesome so far. I'm actually getting news on GB first now, he works bloody fast and writes well. Can't ask for much more in a news man. 

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By mongoose
@lebkin said:

To be fair to Brad Nicholson, simply reposting things coming from the wire was his job. My understanding was that Brad wasn't hired to do actual investigative reporting or even deeper journalism. The point was to get all the major headlines covered in a simple, basic manner. Patrick was hired specifically to do investigations and develop original content. So comparing what Brad was doing with what Patrick has already done is hard, since their roles are different.  "

Well said.
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Sunjammer

Hope he becomes a regular on the bombcast too. Great addition to the team, and makes for cool discussions :-)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By iam3green

yep, it's good. i read the psn article that he wrote. it seemed good compared to the other guys who just seemed to rewrite everything. i think a lot of websites do that, so it's not really all that new to read the same article just at a different place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

i was just about to make this topic.

Now my 115+ aday visits to GB actually pay off!

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By Kyreo

Yeah he really knows his shit and should be wearing a little News Card Fedora at ALL TIMES!

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By Gav47

I agree, his articles are much better than the two Brads and Jeff's articles. One thing I would like to see is a separate column for news, I feel that if I don't check the site every day the news stories get buried by videos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Gav47 said:

" I agree, his articles are much better than the two Brads and Jeff's articles. One thing I would like to see is a separate column for news, I feel that if I don't check the site every day the news stories get buried by videos. "

http://www.formspring.me/jeffgerstmann/q/187711393384921650
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

He's covered wars, you know.

Someone had to say it.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm digging Patrick so far, he seems good at what he does.  My only complaint so far is that they really do need to come up with a better way to show new news on the home page, with so much news incoming now only having 10 (never changing) slots allocated to news, new videos, etc, it's getting easy to miss stuff.  Wonder how much longer before Dave and the gang get their new site ideas implemented. 

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kyreo said:

" Yeah he really knows his shit and should be wearing a little News Card Fedora at ALL TIMES! "

JOURNALISM HAT - boosts journalistic skill by +1
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By yakov456

I like his articles.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By napalm

It was funny, in terms of an introduction to give B. Nicholson shit for the first month, but it started to become old. He did what he could, and Jeff stated he was always on time, but news article got put on the back-burner, so that's why it was always a day or two late. I'm irritated with the community, simply because we were willing to shut Brad out, even through his perseverance, and his obvious love for videogames.

Giant Bomb, we as a community need to work on accepting people better and getting along with new guys who get hired for the site. This kind of thing is annoying, and I can only imagine that a good portion of his leaving was because the backlash from his presence.

C'mon guys, lets work on our manners. This is unacceptable.
_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117  Edited By _Nuno_

Yeah, Patrick surpassed my expectations for news coverage on GB. The way he got hold of those Activision memos  makes me believe he knows alot of people in the industry and it's nice to see some amount of news being broken by GB instead of just reporting on what other sites have to say.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I wasn't skeptical about Patrick, but I also wasn't shitting rainbows over it either (delightful experience, by the way). 

But he's got everything needed to work at GB: Excellent experience (dude went to a convention when he was in his early teens), the joke chops, and not to mention when the business guns need to be taken out, he's right there. 

Best addition since V&B1. Hope he stays; I enjoy good news and an extra opinion on the Bombcast (dude mentioned Metro 2033 with a fair bit of love, so he gets more cool points).
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#119  Edited By Geno

Just wanted to say that I totally agree. Dramatic increase in news quality and quantity here at GB.

the_gallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By the_gallo

Yeah, ever since he joined I noticed an increase in new quality on Giant Bomb.

the_gallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By the_gallo

Also his quick looks are pretty good too.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#122  Edited By danimal_furry

He's okay. Remind me why he left G4. Oh right, because it wasn't that great. And he was the star of something that wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong here. He's a good guy to have on a video game web page, but there are some retarded fanboys out there that are making way too much out of this.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123  Edited By wrighteous86
@Napalm said:

"I'm irritated with the community, simply because we were willing to shut Brad out, even through his perseverance, and his obvious love for videogames.

Giant Bomb, we as a community need to work on accepting people better and getting along with new guys who get hired for the site. This kind of thing is annoying, and I can only imagine that a good portion of his leaving was because the backlash from his presence.

C'mon guys, lets work on our manners. This is unacceptable."

You realize you're posting this in a thread, 7 pages long, full of positive comments about Patrick, right? A new staff member for the site? And people pretty unanimously like him or at the very least accept him?  

Maybe that means the complaints about Brad were people legitimately disliking his work and not just xenophobia? Whether you agree with the complaints or not, people need to stop acting like everyone hated Brad N. because "he wasn't one of the core 4".
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By napalm
@Wrighteous86: I never mentioned Patrick in my post because I wasn't talking about him. I'm taking about Nicholson and even guys like Kessler who were disliked for a good bit. I bring them up because they are new. Klepek has a track record that is kind of amazing. Nice pulling a straw man on my post.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By wrighteous86
@Napalm said:

" @Wrighteous86: I never mentioned Patrick in my post because I wasn't talking about him. I'm taking about Nicholson and even guys like Kessler who were disliked for a good bit. I bring them up because they are new. Klepek has a track record that is kind of amazing. Nice pulling a straw man on my post. "

Don't be so defensive. I misinterpreted what you were saying, that's all. You said we need to be open to new guys, and we are welcoming a new guy with open arms (It's hard to tell if you were referring to "new" to the industry, or "new" to the site). The thread is about Patrick and your comment was about new staff members, so I don't think it was out of line for me to assume you were referring to everyone that applied to said generalization. In any case, Nicholson was a writer before he worked for Giant Bomb, so if that's what you meant, it doesn't really apply to him, either.

Interns are one thing, I think a lot of the hate for the interns was jealousy, because a lot of people felt like they could put themselves in their shoes. However, some of the complaints could have been warranted, in that neither of them fit the style of the site completely (Lemon didn't really do anything in front of the public aside from holding some cameras and asking questions from the chat, and Kessler didn't seem comfortable in front of the camera or microphone). Those complaints were unfair, as that wasn't what the site needed interns for; they weren't looking for temporary "fifth members".

Nicholson was a paid writer, however, and as a paid writer, he is open to critiques on his writing. I'm a writer, so I judged him a bit harsher than most would, I'm sure. You noted that the timeliness of his articles weren't his fault (which I didn't know), but his writing itself was an issue for me at times. He often had typos and there were times where he got facts and information just plain wrong. If you're paid to write, these are pretty big sins. Granted, these things are supposed to be caught by editors, but it's still a writer's responsibility to avoid them.

I don't have any problems with Nicholson, but I wasn't happy with the work he provided for the site. It had nothing to do with him "being an outsider". I think the site is much better served both by someone of Patrick's skill, and someone in Patrick's position; e.g. working in the office with the crew and working full-time on investigating and reporting the news. It makes the site much more well-rounded. I just don't like when people belittle my opinion by assuming I hold it for some petty reason like "he's not one of the 4". It's like when Dragon Age 2 came out and people said I only hated it because "I don't like change".
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By napalm
@Wrighteous86: I apologize. I didn't know my post would be so confusing. I mentioned new guys to the site that don't really have a track record, or are new, so to speak, as Kessler was, and Nicholson didn't really have a track record worth noting. I was specifically addressing those who were unnecessarily negative just because he was a bit of an outsider. I never went through B. Nicholson's articles with a fine-toothed comb, I usually glanced and skimmed through it to get some vital points, so if you had a problem with his writing, I won't hold that against you, but as I mentioned, I was specifically addressing those who were negative just because he's on the outside.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#127  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah, he's dope.  Hopefully he stays for a long time.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By kingzetta

That's why they give him the good hat.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By wrighteous86
@Napalm: Fair enough. Sorry things got heated for a second there. Yeah, like I said, I'm a bit more discerning about that kind of thing because I'm a writer, but I understand that most people aren't as critical of news writing as I am. I agree that there are plenty of immature people on the internet that will hate just to hate, though, so I know where you're coming from.
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#130  Edited By Aaron_G

I like seeing all the news updates for Giant Bomb. It's good because I actually can stay up to date now. 

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Aelric

You know, I never intended this to become a Brad bashing post. I used to intern at a newspaper and it was my job to repost and reword things coming down the wire. I dunno Brad's official title, but if that is all he was hired to do, then he did an alright job. Anyway, doesn't matter, my intention was to praise Patrick, not bury Brad.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By applet0n

Patrick joining the website is one of the best things that happened to this site this year.

Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#133  Edited By Jayzz

I love this guy. I'd like to have him as a staple on the podcast tbh.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Trebz

I like Klepek. He's put the site in a good place where there's plenty of news being reported but not a new article for every Mario cake or quote about video games from a celebrity and he's also a pretty good Bombcast member.
I am kind of disappointed that Brad's gone. I really liked the comfort and personality he had before he joined Giant Bomb and kind of faded into the background. Hopefully he'll find another good place to write.

Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Stubee

Since Patrick joined ive seen GB quoted as sources  like 3 times in the last week on other gaming sites. I also just love how he gives off that vibe of having dirt on everyone and everything!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4
deactivated-59d1ab87a7ca4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick is a great guy. I'm really glad to see him doing great work here at Giantbomb. Here's hoping that he stays on for a long time.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Hot_Karl

I love you Patrick!

Robopengy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Robopengy

I stopped reading news posts by Brad mainly cause they weren't that interesting, short, or pretty much just reposts from Kotaku. Also dude needs to chill with the exercise :T

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Spike94

Dude, darn right he is
clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By clush

I just wish he'd check his spelling and grammar a bit more thoroughly... other than that, great addition to the site.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Aus_azn
As a news team, Alex and him are definitely better than 

@blacklabeldomm
said:

"a certain other person who corresponds for GB.... "

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#143  Edited By Aarny91

Indeed he is, and Screened has also gotten alot better in the news department. Not sure if it's a new writer or not though.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By awe_stuck

hes a nice fit wth

some of these comments are pretty gay guys

i honestly dont have many complaints about anyone at giantbomb. i rarely notice much of a difference unless im watchin a video review. n i like everyone on the bombcasts
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By p_p_o_d

its been what?  about 3 weeks since Patrick joined and I have read more news stories on GB then I have in the last few years.

He is great on the bombcast as well since he actually seems to know his shit.   He is perfect contrast to Jeff and Ryan who only seem knowledgeable about things they like and dont really give a shit about anything else.   If they could just drag him in for the news section each week that would be cool.    

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By cyraxible

Patrick has been a major boon to the site, I've seen Giant Bomb linked to for video game news a lot more than I ever did. 

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By WrathOfBanja

As long as he's here, Giantbomb has effectively replaced Kotaku for news. Saves me the trouble of digging through all their crap. Plus, I'll never have to look at that shitty new interface again!

@Kjellm87 said:

" That is also the reason I want him as a Bombcast regular. "

This.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#148  Edited By EuanDewar

Just noticed that Nicholson is no longer on the staff list. He got out of shot quick.

Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By rectum_abominae

OP is a brown noser, but I agree.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Meowshi
@awe_stuck said:
" hes a nice fit wth

some of these comments are pretty gay guys

i honestly dont have many complaints about anyone at giantbomb. i rarely notice much of a difference unless im watchin a video review. n i like everyone on the bombcasts
"
Are you 12?