#1 Edited by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -

So here's the deal. My name's Caleb. A lot of people just call me Crash 

That's a joke- my gamertag is Call Me Crash. I know, lame. 

Anyhow. I write for a gaming website. It's designed for news and reviews. It sort of started as a joke with some friends of mine and I, as a wordpress blog a few years ago. It's come a long way since then though, with a little more coding and HTML going through it, and up until this summer, we had a pretty decent looking site in my opinion. You can check it out at www.scorephoria.com 

Here's the issue. We ran out of time. After a personnel issue or two, we were left with only a minimal amount of writers, all of which are backed up with Uni this fall. As such, the site has fallen into...disrepair. However, there is hope. We've (surprisingly) still had a few games sent our way for review, and the advertising company has recently contacted us about ads. But again, we don't have enough writers. 

So here's where you come in. This is your shot to see if you like the gaming journalism world. We're looking for quite a few volunteers to help sustain the site with consistent, up to date news, and possibly reviews, given the circumstance. Interested? Good. You can contact me on here, and I'll forward the info to the man in charge, or preferably, email him directly at chasenorton@scorephoria.com . I'm asking that only serious applicants contact us, but at the same time, I do realize that as unlikely. Please include your basic info, as well as some sort of sample writing so we can gauge your writing style and proof reading. And please, do proof read. 

EDIT: It turns out that being a middleman is more time consuming than it's worth, and screening applicants isn't so much of an issue. So instead of/in addition to PM-ing me your interest, also directly email chasenorton@scorephoria.com. Thank you

#2 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -

i'll be bumping this periodically, just to continue to gauge interest.

#3 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

I don't live in and around the San Francisco area so gaming journalism is not a viable career option for me. But good luck etc.
#4 Posted by Tonic7 (238 posts) -

It seems like a pretty nice website, too. It's a shame I don't have much time to write when I'm at college. Or leisurely read, for that matter! 

All the best to you and your site. I've seen some pretty articulate fools around these forums, perhaps they'll give you a hand.

#5 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@Tonic7: I'm hoping so. I've seen some of the best writers/reviewers out there just in blog format. It's hard for all of us not having a ton of time, but it really makes me feel bad when I see the site we've built, but nothing happening with it.
#6 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@Rayfield: we're all in the heart of ohio. sanfran's not the only place for good writers, ya know
#7 Posted by Not_Rage (470 posts) -

I remember this site. It was from that Bombcast question where your friend said you dropped out of high school to be a game journalist of something like that.

#8 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@Not_Rage: You speak the truth, though neither of those people were me directly. 

And to set the record straight, the one who "dropped out" has his GED, just didn't finish traditional schooling, not that it matters. And the one who sent the bombcast message is...no longer with us.
#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36071 posts) -

Wow, that actually looks like a pretty good site. I'd try it out, but I'm actually pretty damn busy, too. Also, not sure if my writing style would be suitable for something semi-professional like this.

#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6187 posts) -

Hmm... Really convenient as I got withdrawn from another site due to regional reasons. I will PM you with the goods.

#11 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@CoheedFavorHouse said:
" @Rayfield: we're all in the heart of ohio. sanfran's not the only place for good writers, ya know "

I fully agree. There's decent writers all over the globe. It's just if somebody wants to make a living from games journalism, move your ass to San Fran.
#12 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (52 posts) -

Cool site. Gaming journalism is a unique, albeit demanding field, but it's great to see well-constructed reviews getting some time in the sun. Looks good.

#13 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I live in Southern California. I'm currently out of the job. Before when I was working I used to run a small site called dawnofgaming.com. Unfortunately I ran into the same problem and just stopped paying for the site. I do have a few blogs on this site that you can look at. Most of them would have to do with games. Here's a couple of examples...

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ch13696/i-am-now-free/30-66518/  

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ch13696/mmos-accepting-the-free-2-play-market/30-57023/

#14 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:
@ch13696:
@ThePhantomnaut:
Thank you everyone, for your assistance. 

A few things to keep in mind 

-We're not a huge site like Giantbomb. We're not bringing in ad dollars (yet) and when we do start, it will be minimal, and most likely used to keep the site running. I did use the phrase volunteers in the ad 

-Posting on this thread is great, thank you for keeping it in the recent threads, it's helping us get a lot of views. But the easiest way to be considered is to PM me, or send the email directly to chasenorton@scorephoria.com . Actually, do the second if you can, it saves me the middleman work.  

Thanks again for posting, and all of the compliments to the site. We all work(ed) very hard when the site was operational, and we're hopeful to see it get there again.
#15 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Journalism is the worst career to choose. Good luck to all of you that are inevitably fucked.

#16 Edited by fisher81 (535 posts) -
@CoheedFavorHouse said:

" @Not_Rage: You speak the truth, though neither of those people were me directly.  And to set the record straight, the one who "dropped out" has his GED, just didn't finish traditional schooling, not that it matters. And the one who sent the bombcast message is...no longer with us. "

Here I am! 

Somehow, when I read the title of the post, I knew it was going to be either Coheed or Norton. 

Although me no longer being a part of the site is kind of a sore subject, the site itself is pretty neat. The biggest problem is that every once in a while, you'll need to slap the big guy in the head to keep things rolling. That's partly where I got in trouble. That and me taking forever to finish, and eventually giving up on, Scotty Pilgrim.

There is also two years of content that hasn't been updated to the new servers (are they ever coming, Coheed?). 

All-in-all, the duder in charge is pretty lenient on due dates and is very understanding of most troubles that you will encounter as a journalist. If you're interested in trying out game journalism as a profession, I don't think I could find a better place to get some experience.
#17 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -
@Rayfield: there's a bunch of game sites and stuff in l.a. too.
#18 Posted by jkz (4003 posts) -

Unfortunately I'm tapped, since writing freelance articles daily for pitiful monetary compensation, so as to keep up some semblance of normalcy, chews up any free-time I have. If you're still in need in a couple months, though, it might be fun to hop back in and write a few pieces each week.

#19 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@jukezypoo: We'll make sure to keep that in mind
#20 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

@CoheedFavorHouse:  I have a friend who is currently majoring in English and is looking to get his build his resume, so I'm going to pass this on to him and see what he thinks.  Also, you have a pretty awesome username. I fucking love Coheed!

#21 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@chrissedoff said:
" @Rayfield: there's a bunch of game sites and stuff in l.a. too. "

LA, San Fran, same thing. 

THAT'S RIGHT CALIFORNIANS I WENT THERE AWWW SNAP 

#22 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@nick_verissimo:  

Thank you very much for passing it on. 

For the rest of you, this may seem like pleading more than I care it to- 

please feel free to copy this post to your friends, to other forums, to your grandmother, I don't care. Attach the email chasenorton@scorephoria.com to it, and we'll review all applicants. And even if you don't feel like you can write for the site, or know anyone who can, well, websites run on visitors. We'd love to have any and all of you as members on scorephoria.com. The forums keep the site interesting just as much as the news does, so we welcome everybody to join.
#23 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

@CoheedFavorHouse Hey ass hole. I don't have a GED. I have the same damn high school diploma you have. I just managed to finish early. And my bank account paid the price.  

Also, a note to the mods and admin: this isn't a spam post. We all love GiantBomb and know plenty of users on here want to get their foot in the door in the game journalism field. We're just trying to help everyone out using this awesome site. Thanks a ton. 

#24 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@CoheedFavorHouse said:
"@ch13696:  
Thank you everyone, for your assistance. 

A few things to keep in mind 

-We're not a huge site like Giantbomb. We're not bringing in ad dollars (yet) and when we do start, it will be minimal, and most likely used to keep the site running. I did use the phrase volunteers in the ad 

-Posting on this thread is great, thank you for keeping it in the recent threads, it's helping us get a lot of views. But the easiest way to be considered is to PM me, or send the email directly to chasenorton@scorephoria.com . Actually, do the second if you can, it saves me the middleman work.   Thanks again for posting, and all of the compliments to the site. We all work(ed) very hard when the site was operational, and we're hopeful to see it get there again. "
Hey, no problem. I went ahead and sent you an email. Hope the site ends up being a hit.
#25 Posted by m1k3 (1325 posts) -

funny, im not going into game journalism, but i am moving up to san fran in a few years to study in game design at AAU. 

#26 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -

Oh yeah. Working for free in an incredibly oversaturated environment where work experience means absolutely nothing.

That's an opportunity that I can't miss!

#27 Posted by JoeMarsden (300 posts) -

How odd. A similar topic posted by me promoting staff for my video game journalism site got locked within minutes. This one? Nah, they decided to let it continue. Maybe because you're American? Pfft.

#28 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -

I understand it was sort of late (incredibly late for Eastern time zone) when this was last up there, so I'm upping it to give those of us who aren't night owls a look at the thread.    

#29 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" Journalism is the worst career to choose. Good luck to all of you that are inevitably fucked. "
You're thinking of game development.
#30 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

That is actually a good looking site (I have to admit that I was skeptical)... The pattern on the blue background is killing my eyes, though.

#31 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@norton123: I'm fully aware what you have. I just didn't know how to explain "non traditional education" without "GED". It seemed easier that way, despite them not being a complete equivalent.
#32 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -
@valrog: Ha it used to be worse when it was a gradient. Seizure inducing to say the least. 
#33 Posted by Chaossebba (285 posts) -

I would love to get some experience in this kind of thing, never done the general article thing though. Only things I wrote were several game reviews on Giantbomb.

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference but I ain't USA-based

#34 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -
@Chaossebba: Not being USA based isn't a problem. If you're interested please email me at chasenorton@scorephoria.com. We'd love to hear from you. 
#35 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
 @norton123 said:
" @valrog: Ha it used to be worse when it was a gradient. Seizure inducing to say the least.  "

agreed. so glad we changed that.
#36 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

I've been a gaming journalist before.  I don't wanna do it again.  Good luck on the search, though!

#37 Posted by StevieQ (241 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" Journalism is the worst career to choose. Good luck to all of you that are inevitably fucked. "
Care to elaborate? As a senior in high school trying to decide what the hell I'm going to do next year, I'd like to know whether or not to avoid  a journalism program, and why.
#38 Posted by Toomz (22 posts) -

I sent an email to the one you provided, and I am absolutely interested in working with you guys if you have a position for me. I sent this link in the email, but here's something I wrote recently that you might base me off of 
  http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/toomz/blog/  

#39 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@Toomz: If your email hasn't been replied to, don't fret! (assuming you sent it to the right address, that is) We've been screening a lot of writers, along with getting them set up and introduced on how to run the back-end of the site. (it's a little more complicated that it looks) You're on the queue, no worries!
#40 Posted by coaxmetal (1579 posts) -

haha, wrong! I am not an aspiring game journalist! You really shouldn't assume things like that about me.

#41 Posted by smokemare (254 posts) -

It looks like a nicely presented site - I haven't read enough to comment on the technical quality of the writing - although I'm not really an expert on that side of things. 

I like writing, if you want me to write some articles for you I'd be happy to.  I'm not in a position to come up with 'scoops' on the games industry - and I live in the UK so...  

But hey - you want an article or two writing for free?  Send me a PM. 

#42 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
Charming.
#43 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

Is this offer open only to US Residents? 

#44 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -
@VanderSEXXX: it's not only US residents- though since news is a timely thing, the time zones might prove to be some sort of issue. Though if you can work it out, we can work it out. (Also, writing in English is also a pretty big deal. I don't know where you're from, but since this site is in English, I'm sure you're okay with writing it)
#45 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

I'm an aspiring video game journalist! :P I'm only 16, but I definitely want this to be career when I'm older and I know I can make it happen. I'm a pretty good writer, and I'm already slightly starting to get involved with the industry by making videos for Machinima.com and stuff.  Might like to do this sounds like it could be fun.

#46 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

Looks like a decent site.

#47 Posted by novaria (1 posts) -
@damnboyadvance said:
" Looks like a decent site. "
that's exactly what i thought. surprising, considering it's all in-house