#1 Posted by Splitterguy (90 posts) -

I started to check out some of the facebook/twitter automatic updates for games like Uncharted 2, and most especially iphone games, and find it to be annoying and useless as hell (then again I'm not a huge fan of Facebook or Twitter anyway).  Are gamers interested in updating their facebook with game statuses?  If the Iphone tends to have more games with facebook updates because it's more casual, does that prove that gamers aren't interested in social network updates?  Do you think Facebook is changing games in some way, or are features like these just indicative of a shifting social scene?  I'd like to hear from people who are interested in this.  Also, what does the GB community think of games that are literally built for Facebook, like Farmville?  Are these games a clever and positive way of targeting casual gamers, or are they just marketing produced crap?  Discuss. 

(I'm gathering information for a university project, so any input on this subject anyone is willing to give will be very greatly appreciated.  Thanks!)

#2 Posted by commandercup (525 posts) -

That first bit was hard to read, but anyways, I think that social integration is only useful in games that focus on leaderboards and scores as you can easily compete with your friends directly (Bejeweled for both the iPhone and Facebook does this well). As for games like Farmville, they're junk that aims only to suck money out of players. Despite that, if you like Farmville, play it.

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

It's good for those who put value in it, I rather not have them.
Especially with something like Kinect, I don't need people commenting on pictures made by the camera when I'm half asleep, half drunk trying to get a decent score on Kinect Adventures in my undies...
I suppose it's stalkers paradise tho!

#4 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -

I don't have a facebook or a twitter, so I don't give a shit.
I honestly have no clue why so many people do care, No one cares you just ate hamburger.

#5 Posted by Fallen189 (5312 posts) -

I live in 2010, and I have friends, so of course I use twitter and facebook. A lot of people harp on because "They're such solitary little snowflakes", when they're really not. I don't mind them really. They can be disabled if they get too obnoxious, so I'm not fussed.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

I rarely post about video games in Twitter. I think I enjoy them more than anyone on my friends list.

#7 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" I live in 2010, and I have friends, so of course I use twitter and facebook. A lot of people harp on because "They're such solitary little snowflakes", when they're really not. I don't mind them really. They can be disabled if they get too obnoxious, so I'm not fussed. "
no one cares you ate a hamburger
#8 Posted by Ramyun (695 posts) -

The only situation where I like the social network integration is the Facebook friends system in Starcraft 2. Takes the hassle of finding the user IDs of the people I know.

#9 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1079 posts) -

I don't use facebook or twitter, and even if i did i don't really think people would care if i just beat a level in some game. Im not familiar with facebook, but if there was something on there that showed my "status" of what i was doing like playing uncharted rather then just posting how i just beat a level in that game i would find it far more useful. As i see it now its just a way for developers to get the word out about there game by spamming peoples twitter/facebook.

#10 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

i don't care about social networks. i do have one but it's just like cool i can talk to people. i think the facebook games are just there for some people to do things while they are on facebook. i think the only good things are the ones with scores on them. farmvill is just a  game. 

games that have their own facebook and twitter pages are stupid. the game gets hype then after a while when the game starts to die down the site doesn't get updated anymore. i think following people or developers are good because they can show some news that is just getting out.

#11 Posted by gakon (2008 posts) -

I think things like the Facebook Connect hooks in Battle.net are a good idea.  Easily find people you know to populate a friends list.  I think things like telling people you beat a level in Game X are bad.  Not really sure what the place for social networking in games is, if there is one.  Although I guess I mean games, not gaming services like Xbox Live.

#12 Posted by nintendoeats (6138 posts) -

You have asked alot of unrelated questions there, so I'm not sure where to go with it. However, here is an idea that you have given me:

Facebook updates about minor events (like making a sandwich) annoy people. Well, ok, they annoy me. They are one of the reasons that I stay off of facebook. the point it, there is no reason to think that minor gaming updates aren't just as annoying. I would not, however, mind my game sending an update that says "Adrian just finished Mass Effect 2." That is a reasonably major event. Most of my freinds would know that I was playing ME2, and they would enjoy sharing in my victory. They would not, however, want to know when I received every single achievement, or what my shot accuracy was in the last half hour.

But the whole point is moot because I am not on facebook, so do what you like.