#1 Posted by decko5 (163 posts) -

my ps3 got YLOD (yellow light of death) so i sold it but i obviously couldn't erase the HDD from the system, what i did was change the password on my PSN account throughhttp://qriocity.com/us/en/AND change the password on my Netflix account.

Is there anything to worry about?

#2 Posted by SerHulse (687 posts) -

Who bought a broken PS3 off you is what I'm interested in.

But no, there are no personal details stored on the device as far as I know, if someone put that HDD into another PS3 they would see your PSN ID and the email address that you use to sign in.

And they'd have your game saves, and any videos/pictures/music you had.

What you should have done is put the HDD into your PC and formatted it.

#3 Edited by onarum (2289 posts) -

If you really want you could just get one of those laptop HDD external cases (they're pretty cheap) and then format it on your PC.

#4 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

As long as your credit card isn't on there, you'll be fine. Which, I would reccomend seeing if you can delete your psn account online, and make a new one. I mean, .....do you really care about trophys? I guess buying the ps3 at launch, its made the whole trophy idea kindof rediculous.

As far as why someone would buy a broken one? Trust me, theres crazy people out there who have ripped the blu-ray drive out, and used it on a pc. I don't know HOW, since the connectors on the drive aren't quite the standard. Specially at launch. A 500$ ps3? When most blu-ray players at that time were more expensive? Whys not I suppose. I just hope, you didn't have a 20/60gig ps3. No more upscaled and nicely smoothed ps2 games :(

#5 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Why don't you just format the hard drive by hooking it up to a computer?

#6 Posted by DigTheDoug (180 posts) -

Sounds like its too late for you to be asking, but the PS3 has a Restore function built right in that does all that for you under system settings. Probably should have just done that.

#7 Posted by gamb1t (960 posts) -

@DigTheDoug said:

Sounds like its too late for you to be asking, but the PS3 has a Restore function built right in that does all that for you under system settings. Probably should have just done that.

.....smh

#8 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -
@DigTheDoug: The problem is that with the YLOD you cant even boot the ps3 up to do anything, it will immediately shut down. The only option for him would be to format it from a PC, but there isn't any real sensitive data someone can get other then what is on the PSN account.
#9 Posted by Towers (96 posts) -

I would have taken out the HD and smashed it with a rock.

Smashing things with rocks solves all problems.

ALL PROBLEMS.

#10 Posted by DigTheDoug (180 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo: Ahh, should have known that, good point.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@Towers said:

I would have taken out the HD and smashed it with a rock.

Smashing things with rocks solves all problems.

ALL PROBLEMS.

Including the problem I seem to have? Because it would be fantastic solving this problem fast!

My Problem: I've run out of rocks :(

#12 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

make them buy their own hdd next time? only like 50 bucks :P

#14 Posted by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

I sold my broken Ps3 also, but it wasn't the Yellow Plague. It just wouldn't turn on, so I was worried about the same thing. Since it won't turn on, the new owner can't access any of my stuff. Plus if he/she gets it fixed, everything on it will be wiped away and set back to default settings since that's the protocol to get it fixed by Sony in the first place.

#15 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@lord_xp said:

I sold my broken Ps3 also, but it wasn't the Yellow Plague. It just wouldn't turn on, so I was worried about the same thing. Since it won't turn on, the new owner can't access any of my stuff. Plus if he/she gets it fixed, everything on it will be wiped away and set back to default settings since that's the protocol to get it fixed by Sony in the first place.

Just wondering, you did disclaim to the buyer that the machine is defunct , or not?

#16 Edited by HerpDerp (133 posts) -

These necros keep getting weirder...

#17 Edited by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

@seppli said:

@lord_xp said:

Just wondering, you did disclaim that the machine is defunct to the buyer, or not?

Of course I listed it as broken. I couldn't live with myself, selling someone a broken console without them knowing it was. It sold surprisingly better than I had hoped. $102.00