#1 Edited by Aegon (5600 posts) -

13 hours of searching, being stressed and trying numerous methods later, the problem is solved. A lesson to take from this:

Never take what Brad says seriously. Even if he's being serious.

So in that quick look Vinny and Brad were worried about the whole driver situation. I want to play tomb raider, so I thought, hey..why not. I went to get the newest driver for my GTX 560 and it's the 314.07. After it downloaded I began the installation process, part of which is uninstalling the old driver. So that part worked, but it failed to install the new driver. I tried again and it failed. So now my comp has this weird view. Also, windows kept trying to automatically install a driver and failing. Then I went into device manager and inside the video card's properties I tried installing the driver from there. It said it was successful, but when I restarted, the view continued to be weird and my video card was apparently installed as a vga adapter.

*sigh* It's been such a long day prior to this...dammit and this bombcast is 3 hours long. AND I HAVE THINGS TO DO ON THE COMPUTER. Currently I'm using "perfect uninstaller" to uninstall all Nvidia files (311 driver for some reason was installed and didn't really do anything) and I manually deleted the folder with the leftover 314 files.

Any suggestions on what to do? Is there a link you can give me to some older driver for the GTX 560 that might work?

#2 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

no clue.
this kinda bullshit is what pushed me away from PC gaming last year.

good luck though, PC issues tend to frustrate me more than anything else so i hope you figure it out.

#3 Posted by itspizza (435 posts) -

Download and install an older driver?

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

Er...I'd rollback to the earlier driver if you can.

#5 Posted by Aegon (5600 posts) -

Download and install an older driver?

I'm looking for one, but I'm not sure where they are. Nvidia just gives you the latest one right? I want one pretty recent. I just finished using the uninstaller on all the nvidia thingies I could find. I'll try installing again.

#7 Posted by Aegon (5600 posts) -

@deathswind: The original was from the Nvidia site. I used their automatic detecting thing that just points you toward a driver. Downloaded it from there.

#8 Posted by dgtlty (159 posts) -

Use Driver Sweeper to clean up directories after uninstalling drivers and then try a fresh install. Nvidia has legacy drivers freely available on their website if the newest ones are still causing you grief.

#9 Edited by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

Did you try turning it off and then back on again? Oh, you did. Try that again!

#10 Posted by itspizza (435 posts) -

I think you'd have to search google for the specific driver, I don't remember what the last one was called

#12 Edited by Aegon (5600 posts) -

@dgtlty said:

Use Driver Sweeper to clean up directories after uninstalling drivers and then try a fresh install. Nvidia has legacy drivers freely available on their website if the newest ones are still causing you grief.

I seriously cannot find these legacy drivers. If anyone can help with this, that would be great. The perfect uninstaller searches for registry files to uninstall as well. I tried installing the new one again and it failed, again.

Actually, never mind. It's just in a strange place.

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I have never had to install a specific driver for a game on AMD, if that a Nvidia thing?

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (9033 posts) -

Honestly, outside of your issue, I think the Quick Look should have a seizure warning. The flashing graphics when the games goes haywire might trigger migraines or even epileptic seizures in some individuals. Usually, the videos don't need such a warning, as people know the kind of content that will be in it, but this moment in the Quick Look is unexpected and potentially hazardous.

Just a little warning in text or at the beginning of the video would be appreciated.

#15 Edited by Aegon (5600 posts) -

I have never had to install a specific driver for a game on AMD, if that a Nvidia thing?

No, it's just that Brad and Vinny were freaking out about their driver not being up to date perhaps causing the game to malfunction.

#16 Edited by Aegon (5600 posts) -

13 hours of searching, being stressed and trying numerous methods later, the problem is solved. A lesson to take from this:

Never take what Brad says seriously. Even if he's being serious.

#17 Edited by Akyho (1637 posts) -

@aegon: A bit harsh in the way your pointing the finger at Brad and poitnlessly. It was a theory. Theories are not proof, You decided to implement the theory. You had a problem with that. This could have been a freak occurance. It could be what would forever happen with that driver version and your computer.

Its only natural to keep your drivers updated. Its also only natural computers freak the fuck out randomly. I have had computers refuse to boot windows for weeks. I randomly switch it on to try tinkering and everything is fixed. Makes no sense.

I dont see a direct root of blame to anyone except the drivers programmers. Why must you find someone to blame?

#18 Edited by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This isn't Brad's fault at all. In fact, what he suggested is actually very sound and very common practice. Installing drivers over drivers over drivers is known to cause conflicts, so you typically want to start from a clean slate. You just happened to have a bad experience.

Also, always have a backup driver to revert to. I have an entire "I just formatted my PC so now I need drivers for everything" folder on an external hard drive.

#19 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1130 posts) -

Yeah, dude, it's not Brad's fault that shit happened. I have an AMD card that would need manual install of the driver every time I need a new driver(and did a clean slate), just because one day the auto-installer decided it didn't like the card anymore and didn't want to install the drivers. See how it was an AMD and not Nvidia? It can happen to anyone at anytime.

#20 Edited by Aegon (5600 posts) -

@akyho: @subjugation: @monkeyman04:

I know guys, It's just the 13 hours of stress version of me's humour.

It's a strange experience when something you like clashes with a stressful situation.

By the way, would a system restore point help revert back to before you attempt a driver install (for future reference)?