Some great, lesser known, female video game characters?

• 85 results
Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

titania fire emblem

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Shindig
No Caption Provided

Augustine from Infamous: Second Son. Now that's a game with numerous problems with its characters but this villain constantly tries to put you down and, has some fairly decent reasons for doing so. She's arguably the only character whose arch makes any sense and she has a bitchy catchphrase.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#53  Edited By csl316

Shantae's pretty great and witty and takes care of business.

And I've always liked Lenneth in the Valkyrie Profile series.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By tuxfool
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Elsa Eliane from Front Mission 4. She is one amazing Wanzer pilot.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Carryboy

Tron effing Bonne

Has a robot, makes mad dollar, fucks people up.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By MudMan

Heather in Silent Hill 3, most female characters in Persona 3 and 4

No clue why people still considered Lara Croft an amazing female character in video games, at least before the reboot happened.

The fact that Heather is a teenage girl and her main plotline is about whether or not she wants to give birth to a thing, Rosemary's Baby-style makes her a very good pick, for sure.

Also, big nod for the Lucas roster in the 90s point and clickers. Sophia Hapgood, Elaine Marley, Maggie Robbins... they're cool and smart and all up in that "strong female" character thing. Of course none of them beats the coolness that is Laverne

No Caption Provided

Because you know what? Not only is she nutty and nerdy and weird... but she's also a Med student.

Yeah. Think about that for a second.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Gotta plug my avatar, Marina from Mischief Makers. Shake shake indeed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By csl316

@mystyr_e: Elika was an incredible character, good call.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2 also known as Darth Traya. She may actually be one of my favourite characters in the Star Wars Universe.

Probably not too many other games out there that use old women so instrumentally.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Jean from Lunar 2 is pretty good. A lot of physically strong female characters in games have a hard time showing femininity as well. It's kind of like writers have a hard time holding those two concepts together at the same time. Most physically strong female characters are very masculine, cold and stern. Essentially, they are stereotypical strong male characters, only female.

Jean is a character that can hold both those concepts together and the writers do a really good job with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Viconia from BG2. I loved that romance plot. By far the best of any from bioware. Her character has a lot of emotional depth and background. I feel like Morrigan from DA has a few similarities.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: There's not that much time for character development in FFIV, but she's a good healer the whole game and maybe less lame than Cecil. Every character in FFIV is a ridiculous cliche and that's why it works. She's definitely way better than Garnet/Yuna/Aeris.

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By meissnerd

@vocalcannibal: I think Fortune is really fantastic as well. Sniper Wolf and Naomi are seriously under appreciated!

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By meissnerd
No Caption Provided

Also, I-No from Guilty Gear is my favourite final boss character from a fighting game. She's assertive with her sexuality but it doesn't define her (that would be her love of violence), and she has a surprising amount of depth in the story. Plus her themesong is fantastic and she can fucking SHRED.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258: There's not that much time for character development in FFIV, but she's a good healer the whole game and maybe less lame than Cecil. Every character in FFIV is a ridiculous cliche and that's why it works. She's definitely way better than Garnet/Yuna/Aeris.

I actually disagree, I think that Yuna is a really good example of how to make a quiet character who isn't really subservient and weak. Her decisions, in FFX anyway, are always selfless and focused on stopping Sin.

But then, FFX is another FF game I haven't actually finished, mostly because I got thirty hours in and the damn PS2 disc started fucking up so maybe her character arc does something different that I don't know about.

Also, everything in FFIV is a ridiculous cliche, not just the characters, and I agree - that's why it works. That game burns through plot points at what feels like a breakneck speed compared to most other JRPG's, to the point where I wasn't so much enjoying the plot as I was wondering just which cliche it was going to pull out next. Except for the part where you go to the moon. That's not so much cliche as it is fucking awesome.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

No Caption Provided

Also, I-No from Guilty Gear is my favourite final boss character from a fighting game. She's assertive with her sexuality but it doesn't define her (that would be her love of violence), and she has a surprising amount of depth in the story. Plus her themesong is fantastic and she can fucking SHRED.

And she's left handed, if that GIF is accurate!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Something I just recalled because I picked up Smash Brothers, but Kid Icarus Uprising had some pretty fantastic characters throughout, and the ladies were no exception- honestly without them the game wouldn't be half as memorable. Viridi and Palutena's bickering back and forth in the latter half of the game was great, especially when Pit and Hades ended up caught in the middle of it. Phosphora was a cool NPC "Hero of another story" type character, and Medusa and Pandora both got a surprising amount of screen-time and development character-wise. That game was friggin' outstanding, all around, but the banter between the characters was what makes it one of the best.

Mechageekzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rynn the main character bad ass from Drakan: Order of the Flame and Drakan: The Ancient's Gates.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vessel28 said:

Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2 also known as Darth Traya. She may actually be one of my favourite characters in the Star Wars Universe.

Probably not too many other games out there that use old women so instrumentally.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Her arc is brilliant too, one of the best-done mentor characters ever.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

@karmosin said:

Kayne is pretty great despite her super-stupid outfit. Alot of the more indepth backstory for her is at the new-game + though so don't really wanna spoil it. Her speech in the beginning of the intro is probably when the game got its hooks into me. Overall, she's mostly just really damn pissed, and I love it.

That's who I was going to say. Typically Nier isn't my sort of thing, but the game is great and she's a surprisingly well done character. (Jennifer Hale ftw again)

Laura Bailey.

Kaine was my first choice. She is a great character in a game filled with four great central characters. That she is also totally the main character is even better. People always seem willing to just write her off because of her outfit, but not only is it deliberate and makes sense story-wise, but people that fall into that trap are playing into the hands of the devs. It's dastardly.

Oh shit! My ears got that so wrong! And yeah, she rocks.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The themes in Final Fantasy X are extraordinarily good, only exceeded by maybe the Last of Us and Final Fantasy Tactics; but the characters suck so bad (except Auron) that instead of remembering how good the themes are you just remember Tidus saying "I need food!" and so on.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Alexandra Roivas - Eternal Darkness

Rebecca Chambers - Resident Evil 0

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bluefish said:

@karmosin said:

Kayne is pretty great despite her super-stupid outfit. Alot of the more indepth backstory for her is at the new-game + though so don't really wanna spoil it. Her speech in the beginning of the intro is probably when the game got its hooks into me. Overall, she's mostly just really damn pissed, and I love it.

Loading Video...

That's who I was going to say. Typically Nier isn't my sort of thing, but the game is great and she's a surprisingly well done character. (Jennifer Hale ftw again)

Laura Bailey.

Kaine was my first choice. She is a great character in a game filled with four great central characters. That she is also totally the main character is even better. People always seem willing to just write her off because of her outfit, but not only is it deliberate and makes sense story-wise, but people that fall into that trap are playing into the hands of the devs. It's dastardly.

I was really on the fence about this game. The story seemed really intriguing but it got poor reviews all around and it was really hard to make out what the gameplay actually was. I asked several times on these forums and after some positive feedback decided to trust the bombers and dove into it (get it, dove, like.. the humanity dove..).

Man what a ride. I can't say the game itself is all that amazing to play but boy oh boy. One of the few games in the past several games I beat twice and was really tempted by a third playthrough for more exposition. Nier is nuts in ALL the right ways and Kaine was an especially refreshing character - also a great example of not judging a book by its cover.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By Zleunamme
donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

@donchipotle said:

@bluefish said:

@karmosin said:

Loading Video...

Laura Bailey.

I was really on the fence about this game. The story seemed really intriguing but it got poor reviews all around and it was really hard to make out what the gameplay actually was. I asked several times on these forums and after some positive feedback decided to trust the bombers and dove into it (get it, dove, like.. the humanity dove..).

Man what a ride. I can't say the game itself is all that amazing to play but boy oh boy. One of the few games in the past several games I beat twice and was really tempted by a third playthrough for more exposition. Nier is nuts in ALL the right ways and Kaine was an especially refreshing character - also a great example of not judging a book by its cover.

Wait, so you didn't even get to endings C and D?

You have to get to endings C and D, otherwise you miss out on something magical.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Wait, so you didn't even get to endings C and D?

You have to get to endings C and D, otherwise you miss out on something magical.

As a big fan of the game I've never seen any ending but the normal one. :D

It's just kind of a grind to get them and I don't want to wear down my enjoyment of the game.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zleunamme: I tried so hard to like that game. I tried very very hard but the combat was boring, most of the characters were bland and the PC version had some wonky technical issues.

The game had problems but the main character was not one of them.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meissnerd said:

No Caption Provided

And she's left handed, if that GIF is accurate!

Nah, its just a mirrored sprite. :P

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@zolroyce said:

Moira Brown from Fallout 3.

Moira and the Tenpenny Tower side quest are the only good things about Fallout 3. Moira actually felt like a character you'd expect to see in Fallout's weirdness.

Also, Nier, NOLF, Binary Domain, Alien Infestation, and Dishonored ... this whole thread is reading like games I've bought and still haven't gotten around to finishing.

I feel like most of the female characters in the Paper Mario games get overlooked because they aren't human, Tippi and Vivian in particular. Despite being about a butterfly and an inter-dimensional magician, Super Paper Mario has the most believable love story in any game I've ever seen. Then there's Vivian, which was touching on gender identity and bullying issues WAY before Persona 4.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nanami from Suikoden 2 was one of my favorite characters in the game although I'm not sure if she counts as lesser known. Bad ass at Kung Fu and takes one for the team in the end :(

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rosangela Blackwell from the Blackwell series.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Lost_Remnant
No Caption Provided

One of my favorite female characters was always Lucia from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. So much so that Lucia is generally my default go to name when making a female character in an RPG.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By loafofgame

Kate Walker, people, Kate Walker. Smart (well, as smart as you can get in a puzzle game, of course), adventurous, independent and she has a mind of her own. Also, Chell is how I like my women: silent and obedient. HA!

No, but seriously... Faith Connors is another one, similar to Kate Walker. Also, I like Tali from the Mass Effect games, because as one of the few characters she didn't seem to follow Shepard without hesitation. She had her own goals and seemed to demand more than mere flirtation from Shepard (at least, that's how I remember experiencing it; it's been quite a while). Surprisingly, I never romanced her in any of my playthroughs (probably because I couldn't romance her in the first ME and I'm incredibly loyal, so it was always either Liara or Ashley).

j87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Millenia from Grandia II

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Whenever the topic of strong female characters comes up my first thought is Princess Cordelia from Valkyria Chronicles. She starts of as a weak character. She is passive in her role as leader and gets used because of her inexperience. She is just playing her part in destiny. Then she takes control of her destiny and leads her people when they needed it most. Her character growth from teenage princess to leader of a nation under occupation (and later on a civil war) is quite the character arc.

Penello from FFXII is a pretty strong character too. She's an orphan from the streets and doesn't rely on anyone. She makes sure that those around her have their shit together.

I can definitely agree with @loafofgame about Faith Connors.