Some notes on today's security issues.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#151 MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm kind of really hoping they have stuff worked out for TNT tonight. Also hoping that they just turn TNT into an excuse to finish Bioforge.

Rorie has told us that TNT will go ahead as normal. They are not anticipating any further issues, but it will be all hands on deck in case something happens.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

@nethlem: Punks will be punks, but it's easier for them to be punks with the anonymity of the internet.

I'm not trying to start an argument about whether or not the internet is the worst thing ever or not. It's a shitty situation no matter what happens and I hope it gets solved quickly just like the rest of the thread.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@rorie said:

this is a pup
this is a pup

Sorry about all this guys. Our visitor is tenacious. We're aware of all the issues and are continuing to construct a GUI in Visual Basic to try and track an IP address. We'll have more information about this forthcoming.

Creating a GUI with VB, eh?

...Godspeed?

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rorie said:

this is a pup
this is a pup

Sorry about all this guys. Our visitor is tenacious. We're aware of all the issues and are continuing to construct a GUI in Visual Basic to try and track an IP address. We'll have more information about this forthcoming.

...Godspeed?

I hope it was a joke. :P

MoltenBoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#155  Edited By MoltenBoron

@joshs said:

@bisonhero said:

@rorie said:

this is a pup
this is a pup

...Godspeed?

Loading Video...

Ruggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By Ruggles
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By BisonHero

@joshs said:

@bisonhero said:

@rorie said:

this is a pup
this is a pup

...Godspeed?

Loading Video...

Ahhh, missed the reference.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By joshs

Ah, yeah. It sounded familiar, but I was thinking it was from a movie.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it Hitman?

Juno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Juno

This really needs to be on the front page.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@colourful_hippie: hahahaha.
Yes, totally, he also wrote a symphony and is the smartest person on the planet.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, given how TNT wasn't full of bannings, either

• top men have fixed the exploit that was allowing the hacker in
  • or for some reason the hacker didn't mess with the stream that has way more viewers that any other stream that Giant Bomb does
  • or the hacker is only going after premium streams
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I still need to expect GMZ, GZM, or whatever his/her h@xx0r tag is?

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Some-human

@juno said:

This really needs to be on the front page.

I agree, I'm probably not gonna win any popularity contests by saying it but I'm guessing the majority of GB users don't visit the forums and have no knowledge that this hack took place.

These guys have covered several stories over the years involving hacks, from Steam, to Microsoft. And what's the one thing that's almost always said? That these companies need to be transparent. Giant Bomb is always saying how they try to be transparent on things, and this is a case where transparency is important.

Simple saying "We don't believe account information was accessed" is not good enough.

Do you have proof that it wasn't? If so, say "We KNOW account level information was not accessed" to put people at ease. If you are not 100% sure then FFS tell people to change there passwords, pay attention to credit card bills etc.

This site has a lot of peoples payment details, addresses, passwords and email addresses. If they are 100% sure that stuff hasn't been accessed they REALLY need to say so, well they need to say so either way.

WIth the steam case, valve were pretty sure that no evidence that accounts were compromised but still warned there users.

[valve] has found no evidence of credit card fraud, but recommends users to monitor their financial accounts closely. Even if you didn’t have an account on the Steam message boards, Valve recommends changing your password.

-http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/valve-admits-steam-intrusion-no-current-evidence-o/1100-3802/

Patrick even dished out advice to FIFA players when they were hacked:

You can’t do much to protect yourself from social engineering, but if you think your standard Internet password was compromised in one of the many leaks over the past few years, you might want to get on that really soon.

-http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-25-days-and-counting-of-waiting-to-get-back-on/1100-3858/

I'm sorry for this mini-misplaced rant. As a massive fan of the guys who work on giantbomb and the content they create, I feel let down with the handling of it all. Its been 48 hours. That's 48 hours that most of the giantbomb users have been unaware that the site has been hacked, and there is a possibility, however remote, that if they're a subscriber - some guy might have there details, or a regular user that uses there password for this site for other sites, maybe there e-mails, that some dude might have the ability to log into his e-mail and send password resets from other services to access all there accounts.

I'd be interested to hear a counter argument, as to why acknowledging it would be a bad thing? Surely protecting peoples details is more important than saving face?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By TruthTellah

@lanerobertlane: From what I have heard from the staff, they would inform all members in case there was a real concern over a breaching of personal information. Right now, they have given no indication that a hacker has threatened that information. I do not believe this should have been on the front page before they had the situation resolved and they could give a real comment on what happened. It appears that the situation may be over or nearing its end, and so, I imagine they'll make more of a comment soon.

A big part of what they have been doing is limiting the visibility of the situation, as it is extremely clear that the attack has been about getting attention, and they are doing what they can to limit the hacker getting that much-desired attention. Giving them attention while the issue was still unresolved would only give them even more incentive to increase their efforts.

As per their comments on other attacks and even this one, I am confident that they would inform all members if there was a real threat to our personal information. Since the hacker appears to have only been attacking a part of Giant Bomb that is separate from where the personal information is stored, I think it is reasonable that they have not tried to cause more alarm in members than is necessary. No responses to situations like this are perfect, but I would say they are making a reasonable effort to address it and keep members as informed as they need to be.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#167 ZombiePie  Staff

@mcghee said:

It would be funnier to think that a mod just went crazy and started banning people and making jokes about Rorie's penis.

That's what some people thought at first, but then it became clear that something else was happening. Plenty of people thought ZombiePie had finally lost it, but he had nothing to do with it.

That would certainly make a more entertaining story though.

Th-thanks?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@mcghee said:

It would be funnier to think that a mod just went crazy and started banning people and making jokes about Rorie's penis.

That's what some people thought at first, but then it became clear that something else was happening. Plenty of people thought ZombiePie had finally lost it, but he had nothing to do with it.

Th-thanks?

haha. I defended your honor, ZombiePie! While it's believed by a decent number of members that you're the most likely mod to go rogue at some point, you certainly didn't do that here. So, no worries! :)

(For what it's worth, my money's on MattyFTM cracking first)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@lanerobertlane: From what I have heard from the staff, they would inform all members in case there was a real concern over a breaching of personal information. Right now, they have given no indication that a hacker has threatened that information. I do not believe this should have been on the front page before they had the situation resolved and they could give a real comment on what happened. It appears that the situation may be over or nearing its end, and so, I imagine they'll make more of a comment soon.

A big part of what they have been doing is limiting the visibility of the situation, as it is extremely clear that the attack has been about getting attention, and they are doing what they can to limit the hacker getting that much-desired attention. Giving them attention while the issue was still unresolved would only give them even more incentive to increase their efforts.

As per their comments on other attacks and even this one, I am confident that they would inform all members if there was a real threat to our personal information. Since the hacker appears to have only been attacking a part of Giant Bomb that is separate from where the personal information is stored, I think it is reasonable that they have not tried to cause more alarm in members than is necessary. No responses to situations like this are perfect, but I would say they are making a reasonable effort to address it and keep members as informed as they need to be.

Whats more it seemed very targeted mostly at poor @rorie and seemed like generally a trolling run done for as the kids say "the lulz" Wiki's were deleted, Rorie's account hijacked but considering the guy had staff level access for quite a while there could have been much much more blatant damage done. Even with the trolling that was being done to Rorie the guy was keeping it mostly all in the thread about the bans in the Bioforge stream chat.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#170  Edited By fobwashed

Well, given how TNT wasn't full of bannings, either

• top men have fixed the exploit that was allowing the hacker in
  • or for some reason the hacker didn't mess with the stream that has way more viewers that any other stream that Giant Bomb does
  • or the hacker is only going after premium streams

My guess is that it's just one or a couple ppl and they just weren't around during that stream. Surprised that the chat doesn't already log IPs but I suppose once they set it up so that it does, should be easy peasy to fix.

btw, I've been messing around a lot with network code lately, and if packets in the chat work anything at all like packets do in games, every single one is tagged with an ip address so it should be pretty trivial to find and get the ip address out. Trivial due to being able to focus which packets to grab based on the ones that are initiating bans during the chat =)

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@zombiepie said:

@truthtellah said:

@mcghee said:

Th-thanks?

haha. I defended your honor, ZombiePie! While it's believed by a decent number of members that you're the most likely mod to go rogue at some point, you certainly didn't do that here. So, no worries! :)

It's always going to be one of the Grizzled Vets that goes rogue. Whichever one gives the most advice to the rookie is usually the traitor the whole time.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@fobwashed said:

@cooljammer00 said:

If this is an attempt to get Dave back, I wonder if the hacker understands how having children works. I won't go for the obvious "lack of sex" joke here.

What kind of jackass would go after a video game site that's just around to provide entertainment for everyone. Griefing for griefing's sake is the worst way to do it. There isn't even anyone taking credit for this stuff. At least if there were a villain things'd be a little more interesting to watch.

It's internet logic, or "you guys didn't want to play by my rules so I'm gonna throw a temper tantrum and break all your toys."

You see, the shitty side of the internet never really ages past the mental age of 6. Giant Bomb is the embarrassed mother in the supermarket trying to make her kid quiet.

Except not really. This is most likely some asshole doing it for a lark. There's no permanent damage and so far the hacker has been a nuisance instead of a threat. My guess is it's just someone who discovered an exploit and is dicking around with it until the leak gets plugged.

I don't know why everyone reaches for "THE INTERNET IS THE WORST PLACE EVER WHAT A HIVE OF SCUM AND VILLAINY" when the truth is most shit like this is done because "why not?" and nothing of value is ever lost. If you seriously can't roll with the punches because it's "not funny" then at least understand that this could've been far, far worse. We got someone who is bored when it could've easily been someone with an agenda.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@zombiepie said:

@truthtellah said:

@mcghee said:

Th-thanks?

It's always going to be one of the Grizzled Vets that goes rogue. Whichever one gives the most advice to the rookie is usually the traitor the whole time.

Yeah, they get that thousand yard stare and start telling the rookies about those times when the shit hit the fan. I wonder who has been talking to Chaser324 and Sparky_Buzzsaw a lot...

War is ruff...

http://just-thinkin.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/warpuppy.jpg

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#174 ZombiePie  Staff

Yeah, they get that thousand yard stare and start telling the rookies about those times when the shit hit the fan. I wonder who has been talking to Chaser324 and Sparky_Buzzsaw a lot...

War is ruff...

Oh...I'm so guilt of this on Steam chat it's not even funny. Just ask @gamer_152@pseg or @chaser324

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#175  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Could this of possibly been some sort of Fast Furious 6 PR stunt showing the interwebs that Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson are bad mofos and they can even get around using a computer?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@morbid_coffee said:

@fobwashed said:

@cooljammer00 said:

If this is an attempt to get Dave back, I wonder if the hacker understands how having children works. I won't go for the obvious "lack of sex" joke here.

What kind of jackass would go after a video game site that's just around to provide entertainment for everyone. Griefing for griefing's sake is the worst way to do it. There isn't even anyone taking credit for this stuff. At least if there were a villain things'd be a little more interesting to watch.

It's internet logic, or "you guys didn't want to play by my rules so I'm gonna throw a temper tantrum and break all your toys."

You see, the shitty side of the internet never really ages past the mental age of 6. Giant Bomb is the embarrassed mother in the supermarket trying to make her kid quiet.

Except not really. This is most likely some asshole doing it for a lark. There's no permanent damage and so far the hacker has been a nuisance instead of a threat. My guess is it's just someone who discovered an exploit and is dicking around with it until the leak gets plugged.

I don't know why everyone reaches for "THE INTERNET IS THE WORST PLACE EVER WHAT A HIVE OF SCUM AND VILLAINY" when the truth is most shit like this is done because "why not?" and nothing of value is ever lost. If you seriously can't roll with the punches because it's "not funny" then at least understand that this could've been far, far worse. We got someone who is bored when it could've easily been someone with an agenda.

An agenda against Giant Bomb? =O At least once they fix it, it won't happen again. Or, hopefully not in the same way at least =P

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#177  Edited By Dizzyhippos

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@zombiepie said:

@truthtellah said:

@mcghee said:

Th-thanks?

War is ruff...

But it never changes

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@dizzyhippos said:

@truthtellah said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@truthtellah said:

@zombiepie said:

@truthtellah said:

@mcghee said:

Th-thanks?

War is ruff...

But it never changes

But it has.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

War is ruff...

Oh...I'm so guilt of this on Steam chat it's not even funny. Just ask @gamer_152@pseg or @chaser324

haha. Well then, maybe people are right to keep their eye on you...

http://clarkbunch.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/suspicious-dog.jpg

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#180  Edited By Snail

I'm sorry for this mini-misplaced rant. As a massive fan of the guys who work on giantbomb and the content they create, I feel let down with the handling of it all. Its been 48 hours. That's 48 hours that most of the giantbomb users have been unaware that the site has been hacked, and there is a possibility, however remote, that if they're a subscriber - some guy might have there details, or a regular user that uses there password for this site for other sites, maybe there e-mails, that some dude might have the ability to log into his e-mail and send password resets from other services to access all there accounts.

I'd be interested to hear a counter argument, as to why acknowledging it would be a bad thing? Surely protecting peoples details is more important than saving face?

I believe that if they had any reason to believe account details could have been compromised they would have told us. What Rorie said was that there was no evidence showing that the hacker accessed the database where all that stuff is stored, which is a different ordeal altogether. How is that not good enough?

Most people that were affected by the hackers attacks, or even aware of them in any fashion, do use the forums. What the hacker has been doing is banning people from the chat and from the forums. So why would the front page be necessary? Anyone who actually feels the effect of these bans most likely checks the forums.

I don't see how they would be "saving face" in this situation.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't know, I kinda like this feeling of all of us gathering around the campfire as a community and discussing what's going on. It's almost like the meet up spot for when shit goes wrong and we call comfort each other with our presence. Yeah, I'll take that silver lining from all this.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it makes you feel any better Rorie, I've heard nothing but great things about your penis.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Luck702

Yeah, it's super unfortunate that this piece of scum is targeting the site. I have full faith in the GB staff, keep fightin' the good fight guys

Stay as cool as this guy
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

No Caption Provided
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if anyone felt like we were trying to cover anything up or sweeping anything under the rug - part of the issue is that part of this communication has to be coordinated with CBS legal and PR when things like this happen. This entire thread exists because I was trying to ensure that everyone knew that we had no reason to believe that any user's personal information was compromised - I threw it up very late at night without checking with anyone at CBSi. We're still looking into everything that happened and will try to communicate better in the future if this kind of thing happens again.

For the moment, hopefully you don't feel like we've been uncommunicative in this matter - if you do, I apologize, and we'll try to be more agile in the future. But, as I said, there's some legal stuff involved and I need to get some guidance on that before we really start talking about what happened. Again, there's absolutely no reason to believe that anyone's passwords, billing, email addresses, or account information was accessed. If that had happened, I would rather tell you guys immediately and risk whatever personal consequences there were rather than wait for someone to approve my wording. The only reason I wasn't screaming at you guys to change all your passwords was because we are almost entirely certain that none of your information was affected by this in any way.

I wish I could get into more detail, but again, some of this involves entities well above my pay grade. We'll try to do a post-mortem on this when we're sure that talking about it won't put the site at more risk.

If anyone has any issues with the above, please let me know. I'll check back in on this thread tomorrow, or you can reach me via PM or matthew.rorie@cbsinteractive.com. (I haven't been able to get back to all my PMs today, but I will get back to everyone eventually!)

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't even realize anything happened until it got mentioned on TNT. Hope all is well and they're able to get everything taken care of, but for now a puppy!

No Caption Provided

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the case of the Curious Coder continues..... Detective Rorie, you have my support.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By cooljammer00

I demand a running ticker on the front page regarding the current state of Rorie's penis.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitmanagent47 warned us of this. Just before he was banned he raised hell about hackers trying to "silence" him. We called him crazy.

We should have listened.

WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED

No Caption Provided

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

I have no puppy.gif to offer. So here is a dasciihund.

_.-.
'( ^{_} (
`~\`-----'\
)_)---)_)
Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Personally I would have liked if there had been an email, PM or something linking me to this thread. I don't know how viable mass emailing or PMs are in the GB system, but that would have been enough. You know, just a little heads up just in case things would have taken a turn for worse. With so much hacking stuff happening over the past year and more, it's never a bad idea to keep all your users in the loop, not just the ones that visit the forums on a daily basis.

Love the GUI reference. :D

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitmanagent47 warned us of this. Just before he was banned

I don't think I ever heard why he was banned. Was it because he's a lunatic or did he finally do something against the forum rules?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#194  Edited By Humanity

Stay strong Rorie

No Caption Provided

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@humanity said:

Stay strong Rorie

No Caption Provided

the fuck is this shit, get this pussy stuff outta here.

We be Ruff Rydaz

No Caption Provided

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@rorie: Your candor through this whole thing has been great. As a new community manager thrown into the thick of things I think you're doing as about as good a job as anyone could have hoped for only being with GB for a few weeks.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By shaunk

Dude that's insane that someone actually had access to staff powers. Have you guys been able to retrieve the wiki pages that were deleted?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had no idea the hacker thing was supposed to be so hush hush. Just caught the TNT where Karen mentions the hacker and is quickly silenced.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#200 MattyFTM  Moderator

@cooljammer00: As Rorie said above, official communication on this issue is supposed to go via people far higher up the CBSi food chain. That'll be the primary reason why the issue has been avoided on livestreams and such.

Also, this guy seems to be primarily doing this for the attention. He's not doing anything overly malicious. Everything he has done can be reversed relatively easily. Bans can be reversed. Wiki page deletions can be reversed. Comments about the size of Rories penis can be deleted. It makes for a good show when you're watching it unfold, but it's still just a show. Anyways my point is this - if he's primarily doing it for attention, we should avoid giving him that attention.