#1 Posted by m16mojo2 (306 posts) -

If had this itch lately to play something with hostage/rescue missions in it. I tried to boot up my old copy of SWAT 2 but, it's all messed up using DosBOX.

The CoD and MW games just don't do it for me. Entering Slo-mo is not my idea of a tactical strategy, lol. I know the R6 series is somewhat decent at an actual, real time based rescues. Such as ordering your squads to either, bust down a door at the same time you do, or toss in a flash bang long enough to distract them. I'm not sure which games out of the series holds up as far as, being able to run in widescreen, and run under Win7. The Vegas games are, eh...

I would love to hear what any ideas you guys have for this. I would really prefer an RTS style game, hence me trying to play SWAT 2. FPS suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks.!

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

Have you the rest of the SWAT games, particularly 3 and 4? Sounds like you'd enjoy them. 

#3 Posted by m16mojo2 (306 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

Have you the rest of the SWAT games, particularly 3 and 4? Sounds like you'd enjoy them.

Yeah, I have the 4th one actually. I've been playing a bunch of that lately. It's pretty janky in some aspects though. By the time they get the FB prepped and thrown after they have the door wide open for about 5-6 seconds, they're either all shot down, or the enemies just run off. Of course, my instinct is to just run after them, aaaaaand I get my ass handed to me. I guess FPS aren't that great for those type of situations.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Not an FPS or RTS but Resident Evil 4 revolved completely around saving a hostage.

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

I'm having an incredibly hard time thinking of any dedicated hostage-rescuing games aside from SWAT.

"Rescue the hostages" is a pretty generic FPS objective that makes it into tons of games, but it sounds like you want something more thorough than that. I'm surprised by how I really can't think of anything that fits the bill.

#6 Posted by PsychedelicET (104 posts) -

Though it's probably not what you're looking for, the title of your post struck me because there was a game I used to like playing on the NES called "Hostage: Rescue Mission", which was an early precursor to the Rainbow Six and SWAT games. There were versions on several computers of the era as well. You might want to check it out if you're interested in something from the old days.

#7 Posted by Savage (327 posts) -

Super Mario Bros.

#8 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -
#9 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

It might be a long shot, but Splinter Cell DA and CT are pretty good strategic games. It doesn't revolve around rescuing hostages, but you have to tactically neutralize enemies without getting compromised.

#10 Posted by Akeldama (4248 posts) -

rainbow six

#11 Edited by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

If you're man enough then Die Hard Trilogy.

#12 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
#13 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

Counter-Strike, obviously.

#14 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Rainbow Six.

Jagged Alliance 2, kind of?

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Rainbow Six Gold Edition (Raven Shield + Athena Sword) is on Steam for 10 bucks and runs fine in 1080p on my Windows 7 machine. It looks kind of decent-ish too.

So goddamn fun.

#16 Posted by m16mojo2 (306 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Rainbow Six Gold Edition (Raven Shield + Athena Sword) is on Steam for 10 bucks and runs fine in 1080p on my Windows 7 machine. It looks kind of decent-ish too.

So goddamn fun.

"It looks kind of decent-ish too." LoL, Touche. I'm not going to try and spell that with the right "E" either.

Thanks. I'll check that out!

#17 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Green Beret (MSX/C64). : P
#18 Posted by owack6 (217 posts) -

Counter strike has hostage rescue multiplayer and its pretty good when people don't just go deathmatch on those maps (cs_office is the best one probably).

#19 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

#20 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Counter Strike Source has hostage rescuing.

#21 Posted by Vextroid (1405 posts) -
#22 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

Counter-Strike, obviously.

@owack6 said:

Counter strike has hostage rescue multiplayer and its pretty good when people don't just go deathmatch on those maps (cs_office is the best one probably).

@Still_I_Cry said:

Counter Strike Source has hostage rescuing.

Counter Strike is the correct answer.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Technically, most of the Mario games revolve around rescuing a hostage.

#24 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

Hostages on Amiga

#25 Edited by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

Counter-Strike is still about shooting dudes in the face, not exactly planning and coordinating a hostage rescue.  But if you haven't played Rainbow Six 3, I'll give another vote to that one.

Again, Counter-Strike doesn't fit his criteria at all.

#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

CounterStrike!

CS_Office all the way baby!

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24838 posts) -

Donkey Kong, of course.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14839 posts) -

Duke Nukem. What? All those aliens have our babes! Hostage situation if I ever saw one.

#29 Edited by Franstone (1121 posts) -

Play SWAT 4

Cuz I'm in the credits.

; )

Seriously though...

It's fun and adds challenge using less lethal ammo which gets you a higher score for cuffing suspects rather than shooting holes in them.

It probably looks a little dated by now but sounds like it fits what you are looking for.

#30 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Rainbow Six has been covered, so I have nothing to add but advice. Shoot the hostage. Take her out of the equation.

#31 Posted by Franstone (1121 posts) -

@m16mojo2: I'm surprised to hear that since we had the AI behaviors pretty nailed down by the end of the development of SWAT4.

All games ship with bugs but I thought that was pretty much a non-issue.

Fully patched?

This post has inspired me to re-install and play again...

#32 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

@Akeldama: This, Rainbow Six and in some ways Rainbow Six Vegas are my favorite tactical shooters of all time

#33 Posted by Universalize (133 posts) -

hitman blood money had a rescue/kill mission

#34 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

I second the call for SWAT 4 and it's expansion. My personal favorite tactical shooter ever.

#35 Posted by Sammo21 (3280 posts) -

Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear had hostage rescue all over the place and I also preferred them over SWAT back in the day.

#36 Posted by TobbRobb (4653 posts) -

R6 and Swat are the big ones.

Frozen Synapse is pretty cool though. It's very tactical, but turnbased.

#37 Posted by m16mojo2 (306 posts) -

@Fozimuth said:

Counter-Strike is still about shooting dudes in the face, not exactly planning and coordinating a hostage rescue. But if you haven't played Rainbow Six 3, I'll give another vote to that one. Again, Counter-Strike doesn't fit his criteria at all.

Thank you! At least a few select people know what I'm talking about. You would have thought that me trying to play SWAT 2 would have been a HUGE hint. Also, referencing the R6 series. I wan't something tactical.

Counter-Strike is to hostage rescue, as GTA is to precision driving...

#38 Posted by m16mojo2 (306 posts) -

@Franstone said:

@m16mojo2: I'm surprised to hear that since we had the AI behaviors pretty nailed down by the end of the development of SWAT4.

All games ship with bugs but I thought that was pretty much a non-issue.

Fully patched?

This post has inspired me to re-install and play again...

I think it is fully patched, I'm not sure though. What was the latest version?

I have had some pretty awesome moments in that game. My experience with SWAT, & SWAT 2 - taught me that, if the weapon is raised above the waist, and or directly pointing at you or a hostage. You just "shoot that guy" as fast as you can. Kinda why I hate Hollywood cop shows/movies. I'm screaming at the TV when the suspect has his gun raised and aimed at an officer, and they "try to talk him down" ughhh..

Anyway, I love it when I only have a split second to choose to shoot or not, Guy has a gun at his side, I shout at him to get down, if I have enough time, I try to shoot his hand so he drops the gun, then rush in with beanbags until he cooperates.

Great game, I wish a new SWAT would come out.

#39 Posted by Fozimuth (170 posts) -
@m16mojo2: Rainbow Six 3 starts every mission with picking weapons and squads, setting their paths and actions through a map, then coordinating all that in-game.  If you told a squad to wait or breach during the planning, then you give them the order in real-time when you're actually playing the missions.  You can set the game to aim for you, switch to a different squad or squadmate for a precise shot or if something goes wrong, or not even play at all and just watch the computer carry out all of your planning.  Seems pretty tactical to me, it's not like Vegas at all.  I haven't played SWAT, so I don't have any comparisons to that.

Frozen Synapse is a pretty detailed tactical game, but the single player missions can get sort of messy, and you have to take into account a ton of enemy reactions.  It's sort of like the planning section of Rainbow Six fleshed-out more and made into a whole game.  Also more fun to look at than a bunch of circles and arrows.
#40 Posted by m16mojo2 (306 posts) -

@Fozimuth: Thanks. I think I will start getting back into the R6 series, pre-Vegas.

#41 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Didn't Red Faction Guerrilla have hostage side missions in it? If so I think that might count & was fun.

#42 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Rainbow 6 was the only good Hostage rescue game.

#43 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -
#44 Posted by Scodiac (470 posts) -

Atom Zombie Smasher is all about rescuing/evacuating people. It's an RTS. Great style and pretty darn fun. Cheap too.