• 150 results
#1 Posted by ballblaster (75 posts) -

Ok, is it just me or does Bastion seem to be way too high in the GB reviewers' list of top 10 games of the year? I know Greg Kasavin is a personal friend & former colleague to most of the GB crew, and I am well aware he worked his way into the industry from being a game blogger, but still.. I just don't think its necessary to slather so much praise on a mediocre digital-only release just because you want to see your friend succeed in the industry.

I found the narration to be the best part of the game. The gameplay and environment, while fun, was just far too repetitive to consider it within my top ten, let alone in the top 5 like many of the GB crew have done.

#2 Edited by sparks50 (372 posts) -

They are very open about the top ten lists being personal. They do not claim to be objective in them, and they chose to not review it for this reason. And Bastion is generally well liked.

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14343 posts) -

They like the game. Plenty of other people without direct affiliation to Greg scored it highly when they reviewed it, and they are are putting it highly on their Game of the Year lists too. Just because you find it mediocre, doesn't mean everyone else does. You're looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one. Lots of people, including the Giant Bomb staff, like the game a lot.

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Or maybe they like the game like the majority of people who've played it.

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

It's in my top 5 for sure. Sigh what a dumb fucking thread.

#6 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

#7 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

It's pretty high on my list.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5226 posts) -

So it can't be in their top 5 because it's not in their top 5 in your mind.

#9 Posted by ballblaster (75 posts) -

@MattyFTM: So you are suggesting that there isn't the slightest bias whatsoever? I don't care that they like Greg and want him to succeed, and I don't think there is any need for them to disclose this fact. I'm just more interested in hearing from the community whether they believe GB is being 100% objective, and if not, whether its something they are willing to overlook or will that slightly affect their review credibility, especially in light of the issues surrounding Gerstmann-gate.

#10 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -

@ballblaster: It's metacritic score is pretty high duder. Other sites obviously like the game. There may be a bias, but their top tens are personal lists. I haven't played it, but I have no problem with them rating it highly. I trust that they can be objective.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It sounds like you're looking for conspiracy where none exists.

#12 Posted by mordukai (7135 posts) -

@ballblaster: I don't know if you noticed but it is their web site and it is their personal opinions. Are they bias? Maybe, but frankly I don't see anything wrong with that. They like the game very much. Get over it.

#13 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@ballblaster said:

@MattyFTM: So you are suggesting that there isn't the slightest bias whatsoever? I don't care that they like Greg and want him to succeed, and I don't think there is any need for them to disclose this fact. I'm just more interested in hearing from the community whether they believe GB is being 100% objective, and if not, whether its something they are willing to overlook or will that slightly affect their review credibility, especially in light of the issues surrounding Gerstmann-gate.

They didn't review it because of the coverage they had of the game up to its launch. A GOTY is their favorite of the year and if Bastion is one of their favorites then it should be mentioned.

#14 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

I thought it was one of the best games this year, and the only game (to memory) that I have started again after finishing straight away on my own.

Yes, they know the makers and this will inevitably add a slight bias, but as a fan of the game it is hard to say that it doesn't deserve the praise it has received.

#15 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I know right? That shitty game that has been universally panned is only being propped up by these corrupt fat cats at Giant Bomb. Wait...

#16 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Jeff has stated on multiple occasions that he "fucking hates anybody who uses their position for personal goals or prestigious gain." I have absolutely no reason to believe this is a ruse, because he is frank with the community about everything he does, and all the connections he has. Jeff has been one of the greatest voices of the internet ever since he joined Gamestop, and making this accusation makes you look absolutely clueless.

#17 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

Bastion is in my top 5 games of the year, and not because I saw Greg Kasavin naked that one time. You just have bad taste in games I guess.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6335 posts) -

"especially in light of the issues surrounding Gerstmann-gate."

While I'm not saying "JEFF IS ALWAYS RIGHT" or some obsessive BS like that, shouldn't you be more inclined to NOT jump the credibility gun in light of Gerstmann-gate? Giant Bomb exists because of his and the others' ethics.

#19 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

It sounds to me like you just want to stir up something that doesn't exist. They very straight forwardly said they would not review the game because of potential bias, but because of the personal nature of game of the year awards they were perfectly fine with having Bastion as a contender. Game of the year awards aren't meant to persuade people to buy the game, so it's not like they're giving out praise to Bastion just to sell more copies of their friend's game. Besides, this whole point is moot because everyone else is praising it as well. If you don't like it then don't pay attention to their GotY awards.

#20 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

They like Johnny V a lot, but Jeff has said on numerous occasions he worried about seeing Johnny V in person after giving the games he has worked on a bad score. I'd imagine if they didn't like Bastion, they'd tell Greg. He was a game reviewer after all, he can take it.

I think they just liked the game.

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@ballblaster: They have been very open on the Bombcast about the fact that they believe that they are unbiased about the game and that "of course they would say that." They understand that the nature of the relationship they had with Bastion's development could be interpreted to compromise their integrity. Jeff and Ryan simply point to all the other people saying it's as great as they say and leave it at that. However, Brad will probably fight you if you actually say something to him directly based on his Bombcast comments about detractors.

So, in short, no, I don't think there's anything fishy. Bastion is handily one of the best games of the year if not the very best, outclassing most of the sequels we've seen this year by far. But the Bomb Crew are very open about their relationship with Bastion, and while they don't feel that they're compromised in their opinions of the game, they know full well that they're open to the criticisms you're doling out.

That said, I thought for sure it would be way higher on most of their lists. Not thinking Saints Row had actually settled into the hearts of the Bomb Crew quite as well as it clearly has, I thought it was probably their overall GOTY, predicting it as the list-topper for Jeff and Patrick.

#22 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@ballblaster said:

I don't want to blow your mind here but reviews BY DEFINITION cannot be objective.
#23 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

@Bobby_The_Great said:

They like Johnny V a lot, but Jeff has said on numerous occasions he worried about seeing Johnny V in person after giving the games he has worked on a bad score. I'd imagine if they didn't like Bastion, they'd tell Greg. He was a game reviewer after all, he can take it.

I think they just liked the game.

Exactly!

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

It sounds like you're looking for conspiracy where none exists.

The best past-time hobby right there
#25 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

It's okay for every other video game site to like Bastion, but when Giant Bomb likes Bastion all the sudden shit gets suspicious? That's stupid, don't be stupid, stupid.

#26 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

It's highly praised on almost every site, you'll notice it in most top 10 lists, even developers like Ed Boon and Cowboy have it highly on their list. Put down the tinfoil hat, it's just a good game.

#27 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -

@ballblaster: Saints Row: The Third received 4 stars, yet it is at the Number One spot in most of the Top 10 lists. CONSPIRACY

#28 Edited by Evilsbane (4539 posts) -

Seriously? The game got nothing but praise from almost every outlet the game has Beautiful art, a fun combat system, and a great story just because You aren't a fan of the game doesn't mean they are suddenly on Greg's payroll they didn't review the game because of assholes like you crying bias, but yes their GOTY awards are COMPLETELY biased it's their Opinion nothing they put in there is right or wrong they all could have put Homefront as there GOTY and you can't say shit to them about it.

#29 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

I really love this wave of Xbox aligned low post count thread starters. Always,always aggressively stupid.

#30 Posted by circle_of_iron (37 posts) -

I'm sure they enjoyed the game. Also, remember that the GB crew all works together and presumably spend a lot of time together. It's not uncommon for a group of friends to have similar opinions on things. I do agree that they are pretty high on Bastion though. Cool narrator, pretty good music, very nice visuals, but I was bored with the repetitive gameplay before the XBLA demo was up. I can't give any sort of authoritative judgement because I didn't play it anywhere near completion but it was a total miss for me.

#31 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

#32 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Sigh what a dumb fucking thread.

#33 Posted by cav86 (77 posts) -

these lists are personal, get over it

#34 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

You would have a case if the game hadn't been universally well revived elsewhere.

#35 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I think it's a good game, I'm a little surprised at seeing it so high in many people's lists because it didn't make much of an impact on me.

#36 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Bastion's a really great game, yo.

#37 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

It's in my top 5 for sure. Sigh what a dumb fucking dude.

It's not just this thread. Every one of the guy's threads are like this.

#38 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Yeah, this is kind of a dumb conspiracy theory, especially when you look at the top ten lists made by guys who don't work at Giant Bomb. Most of them have Bastion in there. It's a great game that came out in the summer drought, so it sticks out more when looking back at the year.

#39 Posted by SpaceRunaway (845 posts) -

@Getz said:

You just have bad taste in games I guess.

#40 Posted by Sammo21 (3212 posts) -

@ballblaster: You must be one of those people who never actually listen to the podcast or the text, right? This has been discussed to death which is why they didn't review it. Troll better or gtfo.

No there is no bias as EVERYONE WITH A BRAIN LIKES THIS GAME A LOT.

Look, you got my blood pressure up. Fuck you.

#41 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

It's one of the 3 or so games that I would bother putting on a list this year. Pretty much everybody in the industry is going nuts over Bastion. You are an outlier. If Supergiant had made The Run then you might be on to something.

#42 Posted by Brendan (7690 posts) -

You've completely lost all credibility with me with the word "mediocre" in your post. Your perspective on the situation is skewed by your own feelings for the game, and you're looking for bias in the GB crew because their opinion "seems" to high in comparison to yours (which you obviously feel is the only correct one, given that you're judging the situation based on your perspective of the game). Bastion has won awards everywhere, including the shitty TV ones, so the general consensus of reviewers not affiliated in any way with Kasavin seem to be more in line with their perspective and less in line with yours. In light of the two above points, I'm concluding that you haven't thought this through at all.

#43 Posted by Brendan (7690 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@laserbolts said:

It's in my top 5 for sure. Sigh what a dumb fucking dude.

It's not just this thread. Every one of the guy's threads are like this.

Are you saying that this gentleman gets to be inducted as the 5th stooge in the increasingly large group of idiot thread posters on Giantbomb!?

#44 Posted by Zyte (178 posts) -

Bastion is without doubt my favorite game of 2011. I finished it 100% in one day and played through New Game+ the next day.

#45 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's a legitimately awesome game and is my personal game of the year.

Just because the game didn't click for you doesn't mean that there's a conspiracy.

#46 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

@ballblaster: I hope enough people told you that this thread was stupid as fuck. Terrible, terrible topic.

#47 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

#48 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Bastion is a decent game, but considering Whiskey Media and Giantbomb have directly invested in the product I'm not surprised it manages to make everyone's top 10 list.

It's shady as hell but at least the game does stand on its own merits.

#49 Posted by Ghostiet (5226 posts) -
@MatPaget said:

@ballblaster: Saints Row: The Third received 4 stars, yet it is at the Number One spot in most of the Top 10 lists. CONSPIRACY

I bet Alex got a beating for pulling that off. "PEOPLE ARE GOING TO YELL SAINTS ROW 4 STARS SKYRIM 5 STARS BECAUSE OF YOU YOU DICK"
#50 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

It's pretty high on my list.

and many others.