Something to be proud of

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator
Achievements should be about pride. Hence the use of the word - Achievement. Because you have achieved something worth noting.

a⋅chieve⋅ment

1.something accomplished, esp. by superior ability, special effort, great courage, etc.; a great or heroic deed: his remarkable achievements in art.
2.act of achieving; attainment or accomplishment: the achievement of one's object.

Whatever your motive for attaining achievement points - be it mindless competitiveness over the total number or genuine smugness at having overcome the difficulties presented by your experiences - achievements have found a way to be both enticing and entertaining to everyone.

I don't really understand the concept of simply playing stupid games for "easy points". To me that seems paradoxical. However to the credit of the system, this has created new incentive to play games that might have otherwise been ignored. In my opinion - the more accessible video games become, the more excuses people have to play them - the better.

I like to "perform stupidly hard tasks" (thank you Jensonb). I like knowing that I have the skills required to complete the challenges the game presents. I like knowing I have the ability to perform tasks that others do not. I also like the extra incentive to visit areas of the game I might have otherwise missed. These are the best achievements.

Instead of lecturing you on why achievements are so great, I would like to draw attention to the achievements I have gained and value most. These are the ones that were the hardest, the most thought provoking, the most entertaining. Enjoy.

∞ Mode

Get the true ending.

When I was trying to decide which "next gen" console to buy, the decision solved itself fairly quickly. Dead Rising was the first Xbox game I ever bought and it remains one of my favourite games of all time. It was such a humble remix of every key Zombie survival experience I had ever encountered. I loved the freedom to batter away at my enemies with whatever was nearest to hand - the moral choices of who to save and ignore that are so subtle they are hardly appreciated when considering the spectrum of games which present ethical decisions - yet so much more honest for not forcing you into awkward black-or-white decisions. I loved the brutal humour and comic attitude towards the violent nature of the game, mixed with a savage talent for storytelling and a true understanding of how any zombie conceptualisation should perform. Completing this game was a gruelling experience - as it should be considering the horrific magnitude of the situation - and completing the story mode revealed one of the most rewarding games I have ever played - with a genuine sense of accomplishment at having overcome such imposing challenges. Dead Rising is a winner.

Score 1,000,000

Earn 1,000,000 points

Geometry Wars was, for many, the first true example of the potential XBLA had to offer. This simple demo turned into one of the most competitive games I have ever played, and the first time I have ever paid any attention to any online leaderboard. Beating my friends soon became a matter of reaching 1 million - a number so high that it has become an abstract concept in itself. Reaching 1,000,000 took place over several weeks, with short bursts of enthusiastic Geometry Warfare punctuating my daily routine with savage tenacity. This game got stuck in my head for several months. Sometimes I would crash and burn at the beginning of the game sacrificing all three lives in the first minute of gameplay - but every new round was brimming with hope and optimism and the beauty was that the potential to succeed was always so accessible.

Vanilla Crazy Cake

Beat all six Portal advanced maps.

Portal is another one of those games which everyone should play. The valve aesthetic is simply fantastic at demonstrating such a broad depth of understanding when it comes to game design. Of all the titles that I have played I know I can rely on Valve to supply me with fresh games that brim with potential for exploration and manipulation. Valve has the ability to prioritise the core aspects of a game - those which matter most - and provide optional empathy for those that retain interest. I had a magical time paying Portal, the six bonus maps posed no threat to my inquisitive mind. The opportunity to play them was amazing, but the ability to display my success with such pride having gained this achievement was the cherry on the cake.

You Won!

You have completed the story.

The irony of the flashing "You Won!" achievement, having just experienced one of the most emotionally powerful twists any computer game could hope to deliver, really hit hard. The sense of "winning" was completely diluted by the understanding that the life of Nico was still very much a shit-house of murder and deceit. The characters that gave the city such life were dead, the very incentive of Nico's existence seemed to have been brutally removed. The question of "what the fuck do we do now?" is echoed magnificently in Nico's current mental state, a strong sense of helplessness. The game leaves you with such a strong sense of despair that the actual sense of achievement is given fresh perspective. Grand Theft Auto 4 really is a wonderful game...

Dead Giveaway

Heal a fellow Survivor when your own health is below 10.

I have always loved playing video games online, as I love the thrill of having to outsmart real opponents instead of the completely predictable AI. Left 4 Dead was the first real  example of a game where teamwork remained at the core of the entire adventure - and this is summarised beautifully by the achievements rewarding you for working together as a team. "Dead Giveaway" promotes the selflessness that really bonds players together as a team and encourages communication and rewards the brave. These achievements act as a minute mental boost to watch out for your buddies as oppose to selfishly jabbing yourself with morphine syringes. Not that I needed to be told, this game is scary when you are by yourself...

If you have any achievements that you feel are worthwhile, please let me know =)

Thanks for reading
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator
Achievements should be about pride. Hence the use of the word - Achievement. Because you have achieved something worth noting.

a⋅chieve⋅ment

1.something accomplished, esp. by superior ability, special effort, great courage, etc.; a great or heroic deed: his remarkable achievements in art.
2.act of achieving; attainment or accomplishment: the achievement of one's object.

Whatever your motive for attaining achievement points - be it mindless competitiveness over the total number or genuine smugness at having overcome the difficulties presented by your experiences - achievements have found a way to be both enticing and entertaining to everyone.

I don't really understand the concept of simply playing stupid games for "easy points". To me that seems paradoxical. However to the credit of the system, this has created new incentive to play games that might have otherwise been ignored. In my opinion - the more accessible video games become, the more excuses people have to play them - the better.

I like to "perform stupidly hard tasks" (thank you Jensonb). I like knowing that I have the skills required to complete the challenges the game presents. I like knowing I have the ability to perform tasks that others do not. I also like the extra incentive to visit areas of the game I might have otherwise missed. These are the best achievements.

Instead of lecturing you on why achievements are so great, I would like to draw attention to the achievements I have gained and value most. These are the ones that were the hardest, the most thought provoking, the most entertaining. Enjoy.

∞ Mode

Get the true ending.

When I was trying to decide which "next gen" console to buy, the decision solved itself fairly quickly. Dead Rising was the first Xbox game I ever bought and it remains one of my favourite games of all time. It was such a humble remix of every key Zombie survival experience I had ever encountered. I loved the freedom to batter away at my enemies with whatever was nearest to hand - the moral choices of who to save and ignore that are so subtle they are hardly appreciated when considering the spectrum of games which present ethical decisions - yet so much more honest for not forcing you into awkward black-or-white decisions. I loved the brutal humour and comic attitude towards the violent nature of the game, mixed with a savage talent for storytelling and a true understanding of how any zombie conceptualisation should perform. Completing this game was a gruelling experience - as it should be considering the horrific magnitude of the situation - and completing the story mode revealed one of the most rewarding games I have ever played - with a genuine sense of accomplishment at having overcome such imposing challenges. Dead Rising is a winner.

Score 1,000,000

Earn 1,000,000 points

Geometry Wars was, for many, the first true example of the potential XBLA had to offer. This simple demo turned into one of the most competitive games I have ever played, and the first time I have ever paid any attention to any online leaderboard. Beating my friends soon became a matter of reaching 1 million - a number so high that it has become an abstract concept in itself. Reaching 1,000,000 took place over several weeks, with short bursts of enthusiastic Geometry Warfare punctuating my daily routine with savage tenacity. This game got stuck in my head for several months. Sometimes I would crash and burn at the beginning of the game sacrificing all three lives in the first minute of gameplay - but every new round was brimming with hope and optimism and the beauty was that the potential to succeed was always so accessible.

Vanilla Crazy Cake

Beat all six Portal advanced maps.

Portal is another one of those games which everyone should play. The valve aesthetic is simply fantastic at demonstrating such a broad depth of understanding when it comes to game design. Of all the titles that I have played I know I can rely on Valve to supply me with fresh games that brim with potential for exploration and manipulation. Valve has the ability to prioritise the core aspects of a game - those which matter most - and provide optional empathy for those that retain interest. I had a magical time paying Portal, the six bonus maps posed no threat to my inquisitive mind. The opportunity to play them was amazing, but the ability to display my success with such pride having gained this achievement was the cherry on the cake.

You Won!

You have completed the story.

The irony of the flashing "You Won!" achievement, having just experienced one of the most emotionally powerful twists any computer game could hope to deliver, really hit hard. The sense of "winning" was completely diluted by the understanding that the life of Nico was still very much a shit-house of murder and deceit. The characters that gave the city such life were dead, the very incentive of Nico's existence seemed to have been brutally removed. The question of "what the fuck do we do now?" is echoed magnificently in Nico's current mental state, a strong sense of helplessness. The game leaves you with such a strong sense of despair that the actual sense of achievement is given fresh perspective. Grand Theft Auto 4 really is a wonderful game...

Dead Giveaway

Heal a fellow Survivor when your own health is below 10.

I have always loved playing video games online, as I love the thrill of having to outsmart real opponents instead of the completely predictable AI. Left 4 Dead was the first real  example of a game where teamwork remained at the core of the entire adventure - and this is summarised beautifully by the achievements rewarding you for working together as a team. "Dead Giveaway" promotes the selflessness that really bonds players together as a team and encourages communication and rewards the brave. These achievements act as a minute mental boost to watch out for your buddies as oppose to selfishly jabbing yourself with morphine syringes. Not that I needed to be told, this game is scary when you are by yourself...

If you have any achievements that you feel are worthwhile, please let me know =)

Thanks for reading
Love Sweep
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I think I have all of those except for Dead Giveaway. And, as far as Dead Rising is concerned, the Frank the Pimp and Zombie Genocider achievements are much more strenuous.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Zombie Genocider is kinda dull, I mean its fun knowing you have potentially wiped out the entire population but its just tedious driving around in the service tunnels.

Frank is a pimp. He doesn't need an achievement to prove it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Dead Giveaway is an easy-as-Hell achievement.  All you have to do is stand in the beginning room with a buddy, kill the two NPC characters, then shoot each other down to less than 10 health.  Heal and get it.  Very very easy, one of the easiest in the game actually.

Dead Rising is a game FILLED with damn good achievements.

Portal's advanced map one is alright.  They took some time, but that's about it.

Let's be honest, though:  Mile High Club is fucking brutal.  Now THAT is an achievement to bear.  Hell, all the CoD games on Veteran completed is brutal and a badge of fucking honor, Sweep!  lol
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

I must say, I got the Dead Giveaway achievement when I was in one of the Bombing Run's and I had to leave early, so I decided to heal someone else when my health was below 10. It was cool to get the achievement, but not the proper way to do so.

Still, very well written blog, Sweep. Your analysis on "You Won!" from GTA IV is spot on. I thought the same thing when I beat it. What a great game...

Like I said, great blog, Sweep.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
jakob187 said:
"Dead Giveaway is an easy-as-Hell achievement.  All you have to do is stand in the beginning room with a buddy, kill the two NPC characters, then shoot each other down to less than 10 health.  Heal and get it.  Very very easy, one of the easiest in the game actually.

Portal's advanced map one is alright.  They took some time, but that's about it.

Let's be honest, though:  Mile High Club is fucking brutal.  Now THAT is an achievement to bear.  Hell, all the CoD games on Veteran completed is brutal and a badge of fucking honor, Sweep!  lol
"
Mile High Club is one part skill, two parts luck.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Dead Giveaway is an easy-as-Hell achievement.  All you have to do is stand in the beginning room with a buddy, kill the two NPC characters, then shoot each other down to less than 10 health.  Heal and get it.  Very very easy, one of the easiest in the game actually.

"
Mile High Club is one part skill, two parts luck."
100% agreed. I suck at the rest of the Veteran missions in COD4, but I had an afternoon to kill so, for three hours, I sunk time into that mission until everything went my way.
"The enemy by the bathroom didn't shoot, good; the flashbang went off; I shot the guy at that exact position; the reinforcements didn't arrive; etc."

I only got that achievement because I spent so much time in monotonous repetition that the mechanic reflexes I developed mixed with luck helped me beat it.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Dead Rising = Love.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
RHCPfan24 said:
"Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"jakob187 said:

"
Mile High Club is one part skill, two parts luck."
100% agreed. I suck at the rest of the Veteran missions in COD4, but I had an afternoon to kill so, for three hours, I sunk time into that mission until everything went my way.
"The enemy by the bathroom didn't shoot, good; the flashbang went off; I shot the guy at that exact position; the reinforcements didn't arrive; etc."

I only got that achievement because I spent so much time in monotonous repetition that the mechanic reflexes I developed mixed with luck helped me beat it."
Exactly.

I reached the V.I.P. at one point and was so shaken up by the fact that I reached the end. Unfortunately, I missed the last shot. After that, I just gave up.
DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DBoy

There are a couple of achievements that made me feel really good.  In Crackdown, Street Racer Elite (150G) and Psych Out (100G) were hard as hell to get, and I was really excited when I got them.  In Pac-Man CE, completing the game and getting 200G was, in my humble opinion, quite an accomplishment.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11  Edited By JamesF

I got the Vanilla Crazy Cake but putting on a cheat so I could put portals wherever I wanted. AND IT WORKED :)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

That's something to be proud of alright, if you're into achievements.

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Brandy

I would be obsessed with achievements if I had a 360, that much is for sure. I just hope that one day I can actually own one and start catching up with all you people.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MasterSplinter

My favorite achievement that I accomplished was Little Rocket Man in HL2: Episode 2. It was a pain in the dick, but I fought through it and was so happy to see the blurb pop up saying I got it. Too bad I lost it in some Xbox Live glitch fuck up. I probably had about 1600 gamerscore erased from the Orange Box, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed because of that... Oh well.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

Dead rising is one of my all time favourite games and was the first game i got all the achievements for 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I read the the achievements during the game only in passing, but I do find them entertaining.

I haven't played Fallout 3 in a while, so I checked the achievements out recently. I found a nice journey with mine. They told my story as I reflected back. 

Would I ever play/replay a game just for achievements, probably not.

I respect those who do strive for them.

Infinity plus 1% = Complete

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Rowr

I dont have most of those, maybe the l4d one.

I do like achievements for getting to the end of games tho. Thats said, they have never been incentive to get to the end of a game.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By RenegadeSaint
Hexic HD

--  Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah

I was seeing hexagons for weeks straight.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Absurd

Is there a reason why you spell Niko with a c?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

Crackdown has the greatest achievements in history. You need to juggle cars, jump of skyscrapers to land in the sea, juggle gang members, fly a car, explode 500 gang members, and collect. all. the. orbs.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By End_Boss

Zombicidal Maniac on L4D was one I got recently (actually with Sweep and a couple of other folks from the forum) that I'm really proud of, especially since it was on No Mercy, which according to those guys is the hardest campaign to beat one Expert.
Fucking finales.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By kush

I feel like my achievement for pressing the Start button in the Simpsons game is the one I'm most proud of...do you have any idea how much time I spent planning out how I was going to go about getting that bad boy!? Months and months of recon well spent...greatest achievement in my bag!

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By albedos_shadow

Vanilla Crazy Cake took me FOREVER.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RHCPfan24
crunchUK said:
"Crackdown has the greatest achievements in history. You need to juggle cars, jump of skyscrapers to land in the sea, juggle gang members, fly a car, explode 500 gang members, and collect. all. the. orbs."
That is very true. I got about 700/1000 of the achievements but then I moved accounts to Live, so....no achievements there anymore. I am sure this summer I am going to play through it and get them again. That's a great game, actually.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator
Absurd:
Is there a reason why you spell Niko with a c?

No.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew

Damn Vanilla Crazy Cake achievement. I'm almost there, okay? Just two more maps from hell and it will be mine. It will go nicely with my "leave the game running for awhile" Terminal Velocity achievement, which took no actual effort. XD

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RHCPfan24
LordAndrew said:
"Damn Vanilla Crazy Cake achievement. I'm almost there, okay? Just two more maps from hell and it will be mine. It will go nicely with my "leave the game running for awhile" Terminal Velocity achievement, which took no actual effort. XD"
I actually stared at the screen when I got the Terminal Velocity achievement and almost got sick. Glad I got it, but I had to turn it off for awhile.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

mile high club is the "hardest" one ive ever gotten but  its one that could take one attempt or a hundered and one attempts , so definately any of the harder ones on crackdown..street racer elite or finding all of the orbs which is a huge undertaking even with a guide.. Id have to say crackdown had beautifully balanced achievements wheras gtaIV had horribly unbalanced ones... 30 points for something that takes 20 hours and 40 points for something that takes 5 minutes. I liked dead risings insistence that regardless of how easy or hard they are they were all worth 20 points..

if only there were achievements on the ps2 ..i fiished resident evil 4 on pro with a broken controller

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By breadfan

We put those zombies to shame End Boss.  I think achievement points have made me play games longer than I regularly would have.  Not to say that's a bad thing, achievements make some $60 games worth more due to their longevity.