• 56 results
#1 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

Hello GB. I recently downloaded a song that I used to hear all of the time on the soundtrack to this game that I used to play, and it got me wondering if any of you had songs that you liked to listen to that reminded you of older games that you used to play.  

I'll start off with my two most memorable ones: 
 Falling Apart by Zebrahead - WWE Wrestlemania 21 (2005) 

Hot Action Cop by Fever for the Flava - Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (2002) 

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

i love both music and video games and have been enjoying them for long years but they have no connection to me whatsoever.. never cared about video games music its just a necessary addition that sounds good

#3 Posted by BBQBram (2291 posts) -

Everything by Anamanaguchi. And naturally I have some associative connections between games and albums that came out around the same time. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! will always be linked to Sigur Ros' Takk, in my mind. Which is, admittedly, pretty darn weird. Or Skate and Coheed and Cambria.

#4 Edited by Yummylee (22515 posts) -

When I heard this recently I was ear raped with nostalgia for Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2. 

Also this has nothing to do with Yakuza 3, but it still reminds me a fair bit of it, since I think it'd make for a good song for a Yakuza 3 boss battle =P. 

#5 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

I dunno... probably just the themes to games, I didn't play much/any older games that had licensed stuff. The Myst theme gets me whenever I listen to it (I have the soundtrack).

#6 Posted by MatPaget (1112 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Totally agree with Primus and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Another one is All I Want by Offspring (Crazy Taxi). Whenever I hear it it busts a nut of nostalgia all over my face.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Anything from the Sonic Adventure games, I love that music and it always makes me think back to NGC and before <3

#8 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

And lots more.
#9 Posted by MatPaget (1112 posts) -

Busted another nut of nostalgia on my face (NHL 2001) 

#10 Posted by Yummylee (22515 posts) -
@MatPaget:  
So does that mean you're out of nostalgia nuts? @.@
#11 Posted by cnlmullen (895 posts) -

Whenever I hear the Star Wars soundtrack (original trilogy or prequels), it brings me back all those great Star Wars games (e.g. Super Star Wars, Tie-Fighter, Dark Forces, Episode 1 Racer, Jedi Knight, KoTOR, Battlefront, Demolition and Republic Commando to name a few). 

#12 Posted by MatPaget (1112 posts) -
@Abyssfull: I am NEVER out of nostalgia nuts
I carry backups!
First rule of professional nut busting!
#13 Posted by Scrawnto (2465 posts) -

If you are talking about non-video-game-music reminding me of games, than I've got nothing. I never listened to music while playing video games, and I didn't play many games with licensed music. I could talk about original video game sound tracks all day though.

#14 Posted by Fontan (318 posts) -

Always reminds me of San Andreas. This and many others. I really loved the soundtracks of old GTA games, GTA IV has completely lost it.
#15 Posted by fang273 (195 posts) -

Goldfinger - Superman and Tony Hawk. Every time I play that song someone new tells me about the days they wasted playing that game.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9983 posts) -

Plus anything that played on Wave 103 in GTA: Vice City.  It's not pop music, it's new wave!
#17 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

Looking back old game much like old guns suck.
Sure they were great when they where new, but so is everything.

#18 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

#19 Posted by rubberluffy (475 posts) -

I bought Billy Talent's first album and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on the same day something like 7 years ago, and listening to BT always makes me want to play BGDA but I don't have it anymore.

#20 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@fang273 said:

" Goldfinger - Superman and Tony Hawk. Every time I play that song someone new tells me about the days they wasted playing that game. "

I came to post that.

#21 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

#22 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -

Practically any music from the nineties. Matchbox Twenty, Vertical Horizon,  Eiffel 65, Goo Goo Dolls, etc.

#23 Posted by foggel (2764 posts) -
#24 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -

#25 Posted by Rayeth (1070 posts) -
#26 Edited by NathHaw (2802 posts) -

Well, if I take you to mean actual songs that didn't originate with the game, I instantly thought of (Gran Turismo): 

#27 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @fang273 said:

" Goldfinger - Superman and Tony Hawk. Every time I play that song someone new tells me about the days they wasted playing that game. "

I came to post that.

"
oh my god yes.
#28 Posted by NathHaw (2802 posts) -
@Rayeth:  Anybody who likes FFT is OK in my book.  I'll even forgive you for the small mammal you touched inappropriately.
#29 Posted by NickyDubz (272 posts) -
@MatPaget: This ftw
#30 Posted by Moth_Pope (458 posts) -
@Abyssfull: @MatPaget: Hate to sound like a dick, as I'm really not trying to be, but that Primus song was in Tony Hawk 1. I only bothered saying that as I was gonna say the same. :p The whole of the soundtracks for THPS1 and 2 give me crazy nostalgia for those games. I remember the hours lost trying to get all the gaps in THPS2. Way before in-game achievements existed... Still worth it.

@fisher81: 
I'd forgotten all about that Zebrahead song! Not a band I like, but that song brings back memories of various wrestling games I played at that time.

Others that sprung to mind are:

Everything At Once - Boys On The Hill from Flatout Ultimate Carnage. Love the Flatout games. Good soundtrack in UC. Hoping for another one some day. 

Mickey Gilley - Make The World Go Away from GTA San Andreas. I used to find it way funnier when in police chases to have K-Rose on. 
#31 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @fang273 said:

I came to post that.

"
oh my god yes. "
YES! So many memories!   

#32 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Cannibal Resource by Dirty Projectors. I have no idea why, but every time I hear this song I think about sitting in front of the tv on a sunny day and playing SNES. 

#33 Edited by Undeadpool (4996 posts) -

I used to play a LOOOOT of Harvest Moon 64 in high school. I also listened to a LOOOOOT of Metallica. So while most folks might think of thrashing, moshing, drinking, smoking, and bashing when they hear this track, I think of planting, watering, harvesting, wooing, and sleeping. 

Also anything by No Doubt makes me remember playing Gunbound in my dorm room. Once with Jerry and Mike from Penny Arcade (goooood times). 
#34 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -
@trophyhunter: Wha...how incorrect your are.  

The games I played as a child and teenager were (and still are) fantastic, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to agree with this. Games back then were just pure fun and not much more, and that's because they didn't need to be. Games nowadays are enjoyable but that is due to multiple factors such as deep characters and well thought-out plot lines, but on a simple scale of how fun they are to play they are not even on the same level.  

Everyone has own their opinion and I'm sure age comes into it, but for me 'old' games are just more fun.
#35 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@IkariNoTekken said:
" @trophyhunter: Wha...how incorrect your are.   The games I played as a child and teenager were (and still are) fantastic, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to agree with this. Games back then were just pure fun and not much more, and that's because they didn't need to be. Games nowadays are enjoyable but that is due to multiple factors such as deep characters and well thought-out plot lines, but on a simple scale of how fun they are to play they are not even on the same level.   Everyone has own their opinion and I'm sure age comes into it, but for me 'old' games are just more fun. "
Games were literally 10 seconds long back then. I rest my case.
#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Whenever I hear SR-71's "Right Now" I think of the old original Xbox game, Splashdown.  It was the opening song to the game so I strongly associate it with it even though it was a radio hit before the game.   

#37 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

I know posting original music from the game defeats the point, but these are just amazing nostalgia trips for me. 

^still the most amazing game soundtrack I've ever heard.

#38 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

#39 Posted by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -

Jazz Jackrabbit, wow have I totally forgotten about him,  I played it alot when I was young I think

#40 Posted by BrickRoad (704 posts) -

This and the character create screen always gets me hankering for some PSO.
#41 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -
@trophyhunter:  So you summarise a games quality by its length? For one that is a terrible way to rate games, if everyone did the same most games released would be a critical and financial flop. As someone who has played an action title in the last 5 years I know there are plenty of great games under 8 hours long. However such titles have become well acclaimed and been awarded for their quality. You also assume that older games were played once, which is a very odd & incorrect assumption to make. Yes, arcade games from the 70's and 80's tended to be short, why was that? Well, because they were made for the arcade of course. They may be short but they are meant to be replayed, I played games in the arcade for hours and hours, returning everyday after school to play more. I put more time into games back in the arcade than I ever have on console.

Home console games back in those times happened to be longer, for example games like the first four Dragon Quest games are the same length if not longer than open world games such as Grand Theft Auto and Oblivion. A large majority of console games from then are the same length as games now, I really don't know where your getting this idea that games were short from. Unless you are solely refering to arcade games, in which case the fact they are games for an arcade answers why that is.
#42 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Old game soundtracks. 

/thread

#43 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

Listening to any old soundtracks, Ocarina of time and final fantasy specifically melts me to a puddle.

#44 Edited by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@MatPaget said:

" @Abyssfull: Totally agree with Primus and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Another one is All I Want by Offspring (Crazy Taxi). Whenever I hear it it busts a nut of nostalgia all over my face.

"
Yep, me too. I love All I Want!  

I also love listening to this music: 

#45 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

Basically everything from Castlevania. 

#46 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@IkariNoTekken said:
" @trophyhunter:  So you summarise a games quality by its length? For one that is a terrible way to rate games, if everyone did the same most games released would be a critical and financial flop. As someone who has played an action title in the last 5 years I know there are plenty of great games under 8 hours long. However such titles have become well acclaimed and been awarded for their quality. You also assume that older games were played once, which is a very odd & incorrect assumption to make. Yes, arcade games from the 70's and 80's tended to be short, why was that? Well, because they were made for the arcade of course. They may be short but they are meant to be replayed, I played games in the arcade for hours and hours, returning everyday after school to play more. I put more time into games back in the arcade than I ever have on console. Home console games back in those times happened to be longer, for example games like the first four Dragon Quest games are the same length if not longer than open world games such as Grand Theft Auto and Oblivion. A large majority of console games from then are the same length as games now, I really don't know where your getting this idea that games were short from. Unless you are solely refering to arcade games, in which case the fact they are games for an arcade answers why that is. "

Ok I'm not going to bother reading any of that, I'll just guess what you said. You think I'm a bad person for liking new games more than old games. My answer to that is I don't care what you think. DONE!!!
#47 Posted by Ghostbuster123 (41 posts) -

The soundtrack of Spyro the Dragon makes me nostalgia for my PS1 games. I find that music composed by  Stewart Copeland really sticking out in my mind.

Related fact: The Amanda Show's theme song is Wizard Peak from Spyro the Dragon.

#48 Posted by Axersia (1621 posts) -

Well, Freestyler by Bomfunk MC's makes me nostalgic for my childhood in general and it has a bunch of Sony product placement (spot the original PS1 controller) -- does that count?

The only music that actually makes me feel nostalgic for video games is video game music. Pokemon Silver is what got me into video game music, so these battle themes will always have a special place in my heart (really hate what they did to the soundtrack in the DS remakes):

@Ghostbuster123 said:
Related fact: The Amanda Show's theme song is Wizard Peak from Spyro the Dragon. "
Mind = blown.
#49 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -
@trophyhunter: Lazy as well as ignorant, nice personal traits there. I never accused you of being a bad person, as I stated in my first comment everyone has there own opinions. I was simply telling you that I disagree that old games 'suck' and that they are a valid form of entertainment now as much as they were back when they were released. To summarise my previous comment in a shorter form for you, I stated that the only games that lasted a short period of time were arcade games not home console games. Making your whole argument against old games invalid. 

I'm not going to continue this with you any longer as any outsider will see that I have picked apart your argument completely. Maybe do some research before leaving negative comments about games you probably don't know much about.
#50 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I have the complete soundtracks to THPS2, THPS3 and Burnout 3 on my iPod meaning I never more than a few clicks away from a nostalgia driven bout of Papa Roach.