Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/27/more-psp-gta/

An interview with MTV:

Sony’s not taking the “

Grand Theft Auto

” series’ move from PSP to DS as a permanent shift, the company’s head of PSP marketing in America told me in an interview.

After two successful “

Grand Theft Auto

” games on the PSP, the world’s most notorious gaming franchise is making its next portable outing — “

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

” — on Nintendo’s DS.

But Sony isn’t ready to let portable “GTA” out of its grasp.

“No one should sleep on that franchise,” 

John Koller

, Sony’s head of PSP hardware marketing in North America, told me in a phone interview yesterday. “That’s a tremendous franchise for PlayStation in general. We’ve had two that are the top two sellers on PSP right now. So, there’s definitely continued conversations with ['GTA' development studio] 

Rockstar

on all their brands. That’s nothing that’s left the PlayStation family.”

Koller said he couldn’t recall when he found out that “GTA” was going to the DS after the PSP “

Liberty City Stories

” and “

Vice City Stories

,” but was composed about it. “To be honest, Rockstar has to manage their business as they see fit. We’re very good partners with them. They just launched ‘

The Lost and the Damned

‘ for 360, so, they need to make their own business decisions. But we certainly have a tremendous relationship with them and always have.”

Regarding “Chinatown Wars,” Koller doesn’t see it squarely matching with the DS fanbase, which the classifies as predominantly under 12 years of age. “It’s an interesting launch on DS,” Koller said. It raises some eyebrows in a lot of areas. It’ll be interesting to see how that sells.”

“Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars” ships on March 17. No new PSP “GTA” s are announced.

Rockstar Games declined to comment for this story.

I have both PSP games and they were horribly ordinary.  I am digging the graphical style of the DS version and I am fully expecting to actually enjoy a GTA game for the first time.

However, assuming the quote to be true, John Koller is your classic dickhead who tries to be mature by making ridiculous statements about the demographic of the DS in order to appear to be cool.  The DS has market appeal across the whole age spectrum.  Apart from that, the biggest market for GTA is teenage boys anyway.  Wanker.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

That statement is very dickheadish, and it's become standard procedure from Sony reps in recent years.

GTA: Chinatown Wars looks surprising awesome, and on the evidence of hands on time that some have had with it, the game sounds great.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I can't see the text.

Anyways, What more can RockStar do after the last GTA game for the PSP? There is no way San Andreas can ever work on the PSP.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol. Funny guy. So which is it then, one moment we hear that only 12 year olds have Nintendo systems, the next that only soccer moms do, the next that it's for old people to play golf, etc. I hope the game sells as good as other in-depth titles on the DS just to have his idiocy triumphantly shot down.

"The DS has market appeal across the whole age spectrum.  Apart from that, the biggest market for GTA is teenage boys anyway.  Wanker. "
QFT. Mind you I don't have one, I'm happy with my PC Wii and, er, not so much the PSP. But I might consider the DSi if games like Phantasy Star 0 turn out good and I find myself lacking entertainment at times, or perhaps if I have to relocate a lot.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust
oldschool said:

Regarding “Chinatown Wars,” Koller doesn’t see it squarely matching with the DS fanbase, which the classifies as predominantly under 12 years of age. “It’s an interesting launch on DS,” Koller said. It raises some eyebrows in a lot of areas. It’ll be interesting to see how that sells.”

However, assuming the quote to be true, John Koller is your classic dickhead who tries to be mature by making ridiculous statements about the demographic of the DS in order to appear to be cool.  The DS has market appeal across the whole age spectrum.  Apart from that, the biggest market for GTA is teenage boys anyway.  Wanker.

I have a DS and I'm over 12.  This is a ridiculous statement and I highly doubt its validity.  But, even if it was true, as oldschool said, if GTA's primary demographic is teenage boys, wouldn't it be smart for Nintendo to attract that group to the handheld by offering Chinatown Wars on its system?  Isn't that good business sense, something Sony appears to be lacking these days. I have a PS3 and really enjoy the console, so I'm not fanboy ranting, but this seems to be just another sign of Sony's arrogance and disconnection from the gaming public.  The Chinatown Wars video recently released looked intriguing to me and ignited my interest in the game.  I wasn't considering the title before because I wasn't sure how the gameplay would translate to the DS.  My hesitancy had nothing to do with the content being unsuited for the DS.  That type of reasoning would just be dumb.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

I just read this a few minutes ago and found it quite ridiculous. Just another way for Sony to lose respect from me, though I know they don't really care about what I think since I'm just some dude on the internet :P ...I'm above the age of 12 and love my DS way more than my PSP. I haven't really played my PSP in months, but I play my DS at least once a week. Also, Chinatown Wars is looking surprisingly awesome and I really can't wait to try it out. I'm actually a fan of the old PC games, as well as the newer iterations.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Jayge_

LCS and VCS were both great games. Any new GTA would be able to take advantage of all the new hardware improvements that Sony has given the PSP since the games were released. I hope they do make another one. Chinatown wars sounds/looks like ass.

Edit: and for all of you bitching self-righteously about not being 12 years old and owning a DS: that's wonderful, but that doesn't change the fact that the core demographic is generally less than 12 years old. Get over it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol. Judging by your attitude it seems PSP owners are 12 year olds too, I must be the minority since I am (and act) older. Get over yourself and notice how many of the people complaining own Sony machines and all are older than your fictional demographic which many clueless people would simply attach on all of gaming rather than on a particular system, as is the common misconception and you simply gave it a twist :)

Also, what hardware improvements have they made to the PSP, that a new GTA could take advantage of and the old GTA games didn't? I don't recall them doing anything that can improve games and even if they did it would mean owners of older models couldn't play it so, eh, enlighten me please.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
Al3xand3r said:
"Lol. Judging by your attitude it seems PSP owners are 12 year olds too, I must be the minority since I am and act older. Get over yourself and notice how many of the people complaining own Sony machines :)

Also, what hardware improvements have they made to the PSP, that a new GTA could take advantage of and the old GTA games didn't? I don't recall them doing anything that can improve games and even if they did it would mean owners of older models couldn't play it so, eh, enlighten me please.
"
An ad hominem fallacy used to insult my own maturity. Wonderfully ironic.

The processor speed being upped to 333mhz and the fact that there is twice as much RAM in newer PSP models is something that older games don't take advantage of that well because they simply weren't programmed for it. Not many games utilize the available caching system that exists, which would allow faster loading times and performance while the player is in the middle of missions because the game would be able to cache the general route the player must take as they travel along. Games also have the much-underused ability to do partial installs on memory cards, which could be an optional feature for a new PSP GTA, but if used it could boost performance hugely. As for people with older models not being able to play it, that's not true. They could still take advantage of the memory stick install, faster CPU speed and (maybe, I don't remember) the caching. They just wouldn't have the advantage of extra RAM, which isn't something to specifically code for anyway.

Edit for your edit:

Al3xand3r said:
"notice how many of the people complaining own Sony machines and all are older than your fictional demographic which many clueless people would simply attach on all of gaming rather than on a particular system, as is the common misconception and you simply gave it a twist :)"
Yeah. Doesn't matter. This is a "hardcore" gaming website. Most people would own devices that normal people in their age groups wouldn't. The DS's main demographic is generally about 12 years old or younger. That's just how it goes. As for that ridiculous last sentence, that was one of the stupidest things I've ever read. I have to question your ability to think rationally now.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

To take advantage of extra ram would be to make it incompatible (or underperforming) for a hefty number of PSP units out there though, why did they add the ram anyway? Or was it what they wanted in the first place and that's the reason the God of War demo gets the occasional hefty slowdown on my 2000 model? And no, you don't really code for the amount of ram, but you certainly design your actual content around it.

For your edit: So, it's the first time you hear that a particular group of people consider gaming as a whole childish, instead of just the DS like you do? I question your ability to think at all then, not just rationally.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
Al3xand3r said:
"To take advantage of extra ram would be to make it incompatible (or underperforming) for a hefty number of PSP units out there though, why did they add the ram anyway? Or was it what they wanted in the first place and that's the reason the God of War demo gets the occasional hefty slowdown on my 2000 model? And no, you don't really code for the amount of ram, but you certainly design your actual content around it.
"
God of War should have absolutely no slowdown on your 2000 model. It runs flawlessly on mine, my brother's, my cousin's, and everyone else's who's impressions I've ever read. And yes, thank you for reaffirming my last sentence in the paragraph with your last sentence. That was pointless. It would be underperforming for 1000 models in one area. That wouldn't change the fact that it could still out-perform all of the previous GTA games easily and be a much better experience. They added the RAM because when they created the Slim, they found they had the technology to increase the RAM without being cost-ineffective. So they did.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, a google search for "God of War PSP slowdown" (without quotes) shows it's there for more than just me but anyway, it seems to only be a problem with the demo so perhaps it's the fact it's running from the memory stick and UMD format remedies that (which is weird, loading from the card should be faster). Anyway, it seems unrelated I suppose.

Still, if they did exploit the extra ram to the fullest with a new PSP GTA (or any game) it would certainly cause issues for owners of the older models. Perhaps owners of the newer models are fine with it but the PSP had a ton of sales before them too. Upgrading system capabilities in the middle of its lifetime isn't sound business sense. Better screens and things like that are fine but when newer titles start catering to the new models and have issues with older ones it's getting to the absurd side. One of the sales points of consoles is that you don't have to upgrade them before the new platforms are out (the same reason I'm a bit pissed about the DSi, the current DS is perfectly capable of using downloaded content, yet DSiWare won't be available for it, but at least standard DS titles will work on both), why mess with that?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
Jayge said:
Edit: and for all of you bitching self-righteously about not being 12 years old and owning a DS: that's wonderful, but that doesn't change the fact that the core demographic is generally less than 12 years old. Get over it.
"
I am just curious to know if you have the market research so I can understand that.

In general terms, Japan is an older population and every launch seems to have mostly adults lined up to buy a new DS.  
Considering that there are 99 million DS out there, are you saying that at least 45 million of them are owned by 12 year olds (and less)?
Of the 45 million PSP out there, how many do you think actually buy games versus those who use it as a media device or pirate everything/homebrew?

If you look at the list of DS games that sold over 1 million, exactly how many of them are for 12 year olds?
I can only see 2 very specific ones, High School Musical and Tamagotchi.  Are all the other games targeted at 12 year olds?  Are you using a broad concept of what age group appeals or just your own?  Most of the list seem to be classic Nintendo/Square Enix RPG and platformers - aren't they games with a broad demographic?

I need more information to understand your reasoning.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"
I am just curious to know if you have the market research so I can understand that.

In general terms, Japan is an older population and every launch seems to have mostly adults lined up to buy a new DS.  
Considering that there are 99 million DS out there, are you saying that at least 45 million of them are owned by 12 year olds (and less)?
Of the 45 million PSP out there, how many do you think actually buy games versus those who use it as a media device or pirate everything/homebrew?

If you look at the list of DS games that sold over 1 million, exactly how many of them are for 12 year olds?
I can only see 2 very specific ones, High School Musical and Tamagotchi.  Are all the other games targeted at 12 year olds?  Are you using a broad concept of what age group appeals or just your own?  Most of the list seem to be classic Nintendo/Square Enix RPG and platformers - aren't they games with a broad demographic?

I need more information to understand your reasoning.
"
What are you talking about, only two of them you see designed for a children's demographic? There are 40+ games on that list, and I count *maybe* 5 that aren't games that would be marketed mainly towards children. Some of the jRPGs could be considered broad-appeal games, but who is buying most of them? I'd put my money on the people who mostly didn't get to play the game originally: kids. As for all of the kirby/mario/etc. platformers, no, I really don't see how those would appeal to a broad range of people over the age of 12. So I see that assessment as accurate. Also, I'm just curious to know if you and the others claiming Koehler is wrong in this thread have the market research to disprove him? Aside from your own indignation at the fact that he's stating widely perceived and easily probable things that you all seem to take as personal insults?
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool

Um, no to all of that.

Isn't the general rule that the requirement is upon the claimant to substantiate their position.  You say that most are 12 year olds.  It is your responsibility to back that claim, not mine to disprove it.  Perception is not fact.  Widely held belief is not fact.  When you find the research, please share it.

Do you really believe that no adults play classic Nintendo/Square Enix franchises, in particular platformers?  Is it the colours that make them kiddy in your opinion?  What exactly makes an adult game?

I don't think I was or am indignant about what Koehler said.  I just think he is a dickhead and he is talking shit.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"Um, no to all of that.

Isn't the general rule that the requirement is upon the claimant to substantiate their position.  You say that most are 12 year olds.  It is your responsibility to back that claim, not mine to disprove it.  Perception is not fact.  Widely held belief is not fact.  When you find the research, please share it.

Do you really believe that no adults play classic Nintendo/Square Enix franchises, in particular platformers?  Is it the colours that make them kiddy in your opinion?  What exactly makes an adult game?

I don't think I was or am indignant about what Koehler said.  I just think he is a dickhead and he is talking shit.
"
No, I think you are indignant. Especially given your name color. As for "no to all of that", is that all you have? You just say "no, I don't like that argument, sorry." Seriously? You made a counter-claim that the demographic *isn't* made up mostly of children 12 and under. Yes, there is market appeal in multiple demos for the DS, but the top-selling games and the general marketing campaigns employed by Nintendo may be universally appealing, but again, they seem to aim to attract children the most. If you really do deny that, then I'm pretty much done, because some fanboys just can't be reasoned with.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, anything kids can play, and is on a Nintendo platform, is kiddy and means only kids play it, with a few exceptions like everybody here that will say otherwise, and everybody elsewhere that will say otherwise, because online forums are obviously only hardcore gamers which don't fit the mainstream demographic. While if you didn't have a Nintendo platform in the FFIV era, or you are one of the people enjoying remakes and ports, you must still be a kid!

Dude, thanks for the enlightment, you've also finally revealed why the Wii is so insanely popular with this! It must be all the kids wanting the the VC games because today's kids totally don't care about graphics and are nostalgic for the good old days they never experienced! Hurrah, mystery solved.

Or perhaps you need to get off your high horse and realise that even games like GTA which you love so much are actually insanely popular with early teen boys that are barely gamers, and the fact they're "forbidden" to them makes no difference to their ability to aquire them in most countries and areas. If anything, it's a little more mature of the average not-quite-gamer person to be able to enjoy games that aren't about that kind of shallow violence, and take the time to learn to play old school JRPGs. Of course, I agree in that JRPGs are also very casual types of games, but casual doesn't mean kiddy anyway (and GTA is also casual, perhaps not as much with GTAIV, which is perhaps one of the reasons it's one of the most returned games according to teh internets).

Edit: Also, you just crticised him for not accepting just your opinion as a real argument and himself needing more than a disagreement, when the disagreement and your differing opinion was all you had in the first place, and you didn't respond to any of his initial questions with anything that isn't your personal opinion taken to the extreme (40 of the 44 titles in the list are primarily for kids without any market evidence using only your opinion with loose reasoning that can easily go the other way) considering the titles he gave as examples. The fact you agree with Sony, who have obvious interests in putting Nintendo's efforts down in any way, doesn't make your opinion more valid than his.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
Jayge said:
"oldschool said:
"Um, no to all of that.

"
No, I think you are indignant. Especially given your name color. As for "no to all of that", is that all you have? You just say "no, I don't like that argument, sorry." Seriously? You made a counter-claim that the demographic *isn't* made up mostly of children 12 and under. Yes, there is market appeal in multiple demos for the DS, but the top-selling games and the general marketing campaigns employed by Nintendo may be universally appealing, but again, they seem to aim to attract children the most. If you really do deny that, then I'm pretty much done, because some fanboys just can't be reasoned with.
"
Why do you think i am indignant?

My name colour is my main preference, but you neglect the fact that I have systems from all companies.  It isn't as if I live and die Nintendo.  Why neglect my diverse lkes?

No the all of that was followed up by why.  Are you denying that people of all ages own DS?  I am still waiting for some facts.  Substituting opinion for faact hardly raises the discussion in any meaningful way.  I have NEVER actually seen a person playing a PSP game, and for that matter, the only people I have ever known (other than myself who owns 2) who have a PSP were sub 12 year olds that were bought by their rich parents.  However, I haven't concluded that only kids use the PSP.

As for marketing campaigns, the fact that you believe it attracts kids most, means what?  I am having difficulty linking your arguments.  By all means though, we are done, but if you want to put actual facts before me, we can take it again anytime you want.  Anyway, I am off to play MArio Kart DS with my 12 year old friends.  Yeah, I know we don't matter, but hey, we have fun.