Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By benjaebe

Hot off the PS.blog

Joint Statement

Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and George Hotz (“Hotz”) today announced the settlement of the lawsuit filed by SCEA against Hotz in federal court in San Francisco, California. The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011. As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction.

Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved. “Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”

“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.” Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.

In the action, SCEA accused Hotz of violating federal law by posting online information about the security system in the PlayStation 3 videogame console and software that SCEA claimed could be used to circumvent the security system in the console and allow the playing of pirated videogames. Hotz denies any wrongdoing on his part. Hotz’s motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction was still pending before the federal court in San Francisco but a preliminary injunction was issued requiring Hotz to take down the postings challenged by SCEA.

“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”

Happy to see it's finally over and they reached a settlement that worked for the both of them. Was getting kind of tired of the drama surrounding it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Wait, what exactly did they settle on? That is, what was the settlement agreement? 

It was either very vague, or I'm far more tired than I originally, thought.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

probably for the best.. SONY's dictatorship made me revolted by their policies and im switching to the Xbox next gen

Edit: for those who dont get it, it's a joke
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

What exactly does this permanent injunction entail?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Well it's good to see that this is over, I guess.

I can't really tell what the agreement is though.

detectivepbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By detectivepbert

Whats the settlement?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By psylah

A Permanent Injunction will require George Hotz to refrain from doing something, as ordered by the court.

In some tech-related cases, it's not unusual to have an injunction that requires someone to refrain from using devices that use processors (computers).

It's a fate worse than death, I'd say.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel
@psylah said:
" A Permanent Injunction will require George Hotz to refrain from doing something, as ordered by the court.In some tech-related cases, it's not unusual to have an injunction that requires someone to refrain from using devices that use processors (computers).It's a fate worse than death, I'd say. "
So depending on whatever this permanent injunction is related to, it could simply destroy Hotz?
szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By szlifier

Looks like he can't use Playstation anymore.

Either that or the internet.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

What do you think the chances are of Sony hiring Hotz to work on their security stuff for their future consoles? That's what often happens in these cases, they hire the guy who cracked their security measures to help improve them.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By benjaebe
@Hailinel said:
" @psylah said:
" A Permanent Injunction will require George Hotz to refrain from doing something, as ordered by the court.In some tech-related cases, it's not unusual to have an injunction that requires someone to refrain from using devices that use processors (computers).It's a fate worse than death, I'd say. "
So depending on whatever this permanent injunction is related to, it could simply destroy Hotz? "
Chances are he's just not allowed to fuck around with Sony products anymore or at least not talk about doing so online, since the temporary injunction they asked for made him take all his blog posts about it down.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Skald
@Hailinel: I would guess the injunction would prevent him from hacking the PS3, no more, and certainly no less.
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

Given that its a settlement out of court we likely won't find out what the conditions are. It's vague for a reason.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf

Wait, what was the resolution? I'm confused.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Hailinel said:

" @psylah said:

So depending on whatever this permanent injunction is related to, it could simply destroy Hotz? "

"Geohot, a.k.a George Hotz has finally found some space to breathe. Both SONY and Hotz have come to an agreement on a settlement, with Hotz accepting a permanent injunction against his development activities on the PS3."

Doesn't sound that bad.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By AlexW00d
@MattyFTM said:
" What do you think the chances are of Sony hiring Hotz to work on their security stuff for their future consoles? That's what often happens in these cases, they hire the guy who cracked their security measures to help improve them. "
I was thinking exactly that tbf.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel
@FancySoapsMan:  At least not until you consider the precedent set.  If he attempts anything similar with another console, the manufacturer could simply point to this case to support their argument.

@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Wait, what was the resolution? I'm confused. "

He's no longer allowed to share information related to hacking the PS3.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slaker117
@MattyFTM said:
" What do you think the chances are of Sony hiring Hotz to work on their security stuff for their future consoles? That's what often happens in these cases, they hire the guy who cracked their security measures to help improve them. "
As much as some people seem to hate him for his attitude, the guy does seem to be good at what he does. I'd like to see it happen, if only for the irony of it. Sony threatens to crush him out of existence, then offers him a job. He could probably find plenty of work with other companies if Sony is still bitter though.
psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By psylah
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @psylah said:

"Geohot, a.k.a George Hotz has finally found some space to breathe. Both SONY and Hotz have come to an agreement on a settlement, with Hotz accepting a permanent injunction against his development activities on the PS3."

Doesn't sound that bad.

"
Damn. I remember back in the phreaking days, there was a guy who was caught and prosecuted. As a part of his prosecution he had a permanent injunction against using any type of push-button telephone.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Slaker117 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
As much as some people seem to hate him for his attitude, the guy does seem to be good at what he does. I'd like to see it happen, if only for the irony of it. Sony threatens to crush him out of existence, then offers him a job. He could probably find plenty of work with other companies if Sony is still bitter though. "
I'd like to see how Anonymous would react if that were to happen.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By craigbo180

Now he can finally concentrate on his rap career.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel
@Slaker117 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
As much as some people seem to hate him for his attitude, the guy does seem to be good at what he does. I'd like to see it happen, if only for the irony of it. Sony threatens to crush him out of existence, then offers him a job. He could probably find plenty of work with other companies if Sony is still bitter though. "
I have to imagine that this case probably slapped at least a bit of that arrogance out of him, given his initial terms for a proposed settlement and what actually came about.
Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Dogma

So he basically got a very harsh warning? A slap on the wrist. That seems quite big of Sony if you ask me. I think he should be greatful that Sony didn't demanded more or tried to take him to court and make him go bankcrupt because of legal costs. He could have got hell but he didn't.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By Rattle618

I wonder how much Anon's actions actually influenced this outcome... I guess I'll never know.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#25  Edited By Soap
@Rattle618 said:
" I wonder how much Anon's actions actually influenced this outcome... I guess I'll never know. "
Zero. This was settled before Anon got involved on March 31st
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
@Rattle618 said:
" I wonder how much Anon's actions actually influenced this outcome... I guess I'll never know. "
This settlement was agreed upon ten days ago, before Anonymous got their panties in a bunch.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Dogma said:

" So he basically got a very harsh warning? A slap on the wrist. That seems quite big of Sony if you ask me. I think he should be greatful that Sony didn't demanded more or tried to take him to court and make him go bankcrupt because of legal costs. He could have got hell but he didn't. "

I don't think think was asking for much to begin with.

They just wanted him to agree to stop sharing info on hacking the PS3.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Skald
@Hailinel said:
" @Rattle618 said:
This settlement was agreed upon ten days ago, before Anonymous got their panties in a bunch. "
Even if that weren't true, I don't think a multi-billion dollar conglomerate like Sony is going to give up after a few DDOS attacks.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By august
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Dogma said:

" So he basically got a very harsh warning? A slap on the wrist. That seems quite big of Sony if you ask me. I think he should be greatful that Sony didn't demanded more or tried to take him to court and make him go bankcrupt because of legal costs. He could have got hell but he didn't. "

I don't think think was asking for much to begin with.They just wanted him to agree to stop sharing info on hacking the PS3. "
It's too late for that, PS3 security is wide open at this point.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alternate
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Slaker117 said:
" @MattyFTM said:
I'd like to see how Anonymous would react if that were to happen. "
As an excuse to cause trouble - but if not this then something else.  Just another 4chan group looking for any reason.
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By p_p_o_d

I guess its the best for both.

Sony could have lost the case if it went further but this way it stops Hotz from releaseing more info on how to hack the ps3 and probably stops him releasing hacking tools for other sony products.

Hotz gets a good deal because if the case went further he might win which would still cost him in thousands in legal fees and if he lost it would cost him the legal fee;s plus whatever other fine he gets.

judging from recent updates to Hotz blog he isnt super happy with the ending.  probably something his legal team said would be best.  

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Marz

Valve will hire him,  just to have the talent.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
@Marz said:
" Valve will hire him,  just to have the talent. "
Valve's job offer would only be the bait in a sting operation.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow

This will only help further his career in technology.  He seems far more interested in robotics than hacking anyway.  LOL @ Valve hiring him Marz, he's not a game dev.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad that this is all over, its pretty hilarious that this was reached before the whole anonymous stuff happened.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august
@Marz said:

" Valve will hire him,  just to have the talent. "

Probably not until this whole "Steam on PS3" partnership is over.
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By p_p_o_d

ok here is the jist of the settlement.

Geohot isnt allowed to hack any future sony product.

if he does hack something and brags about it on twitter or something without releasing the information on how to do it he has to pay a $10,000 fine

if he does and releases the info on how to hack it he has to pay a $250,000 fine

at first I thought sony just ending the case because they where worried they would lose but it looks like Sony got him good.   

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hexx462
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" probably for the best.. SONY's dictatorship made me revolted by their policies and im switching to the Xbox next gen "
Yeah stick to the man! Jump ship from one massive corporation to another, that'll show'em!
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@MattyFTM said:
I hope they do.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:
" Glad that this is all over, its pretty hilarious that this was reached before the whole anonymous stuff happened. "
They'll probably try to take some credit.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By KaosAngel

NO NO NO NO NO!  

SONY YOU STUPID FUCKS IF YOU TOOK THIS TO COURT YOU WOULD'VE MADE HACKING AND MODDING CONSOLES LEGAL IN AMERICA!   

FUCKING HELL!  

Now it's all bullshit "grey area" again, MOTHER FUCKER!  SONY YOU DUMB FUCKS!  TAKE IT TO COURT AND MAKE IT LEGAL TO MOD YOU DAMN CONSOLE!  DO WHAT HAPPENED TO APPLE!  

Fuck man.  Fucking bullshit.  Pussy ass Sony not having the balls to take this to court.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Skald
@hexx462 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" probably for the best.. SONY's dictatorship made me revolted by their policies and im switching to the Xbox next gen "
Yeah stick to the man! Jump ship from one massive corporation to another, that'll show'em! "
Yeah, Microsoft has never done something that can be considered anti-consumer.

Rage against that machine!
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel
@KaosAngel:  What.

You wanted them to take it to trial so that they could lose?

It is not a "pussy" move to avoid trial.  Perhaps you should educate yourself in law.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy

Can't he just release the data under an anonymous name? He'd be a fool to keep releasing info under his Geohot name. I doubt that he's just gonna stop.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@extremeradical said:
" @hexx462 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Yeah stick to the man! Jump ship from one massive corporation to another, that'll show'em! "
Yeah, Microsoft has never done something that can be considered anti-consumer.

Rage against that machine!
"
Pirates of Silicon Valley is also something to think about.

@KaosAngel said:
" NO NO NO NO NO!  SONY YOU STUPID FUCKS IF YOU TOOK THIS TO COURT YOU WOULD'VE MADE HACKING AND MODDING CONSOLES LEGAL IN AMERICA!   FUCKING HELL!  Now it's all bullshit "grey area" again, MOTHER FUCKER!  SONY YOU DUMB FUCKS!  TAKE IT TO COURT AND MAKE IT LEGAL TO MOD YOU DAMN CONSOLE!  DO WHAT HAPPENED TO APPLE!  Fuck man.  Fucking bullshit.  Pussy ass Sony not having the balls to take this to court. "
You want that guy utterly fucked monetarily so you can hack a console for some weird and suspicious reason?
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Hailinel said:
" @KaosAngel:  What.You wanted them to take it to trial so that they could lose?It is not a "pussy" move to avoid trial.  Perhaps you should educate yourself in law. "
Isn't he in law school?
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By KaosAngel
@SethPhotopoulos said:
"You want that guy utterly fucked monetarily so you can hack a console for some weird and suspicious reason?"
George had millions in donations.  He promised he'd fight the whole way, Sony got cold-feat and realized Apple tried this last year and they got their asses handed to them.  Microsoft is too smart to take them to court for console hacking, and Nintendo isn't stupid enough to bitch in America...but Sony was the silver lining.  Those dumb-fucks were dumb enough to do this, fucking hell.

So FUCKING CLOSE to have console modding 100% legal in America...so fucking close.
LobsterCrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LobsterCrunk
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @psylah said:

Doesn't sound that bad.

"
Wait, didn't all this start with Hotz' development activites on the PS3?  Didn't this court case serve as a philosophical battleground, rather than a legal one?  Wasn't this all about the nature of ownership?

Ah, forget it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hailinel
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @KaosAngel:  What.You wanted them to take it to trial so that they could lose?It is not a "pussy" move to avoid trial.  Perhaps you should educate yourself in law. "
Isn't he in law school? "
If he is, I'm kind of worried.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@KaosAngel said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
"You want that guy utterly fucked monetarily so you can hack a console for some weird and suspicious reason?"
George had millions in donations.  He promised he'd fight the whole way, Sony got cold-feat and realized Apple tried this last year and they got their asses handed to them.  Microsoft is too smart to take them to court for console hacking, and Nintendo isn't stupid enough to bitch in America...but Sony was the silver lining.  Those dumb-fucks were dumb enough to do this, fucking hell.

So FUCKING CLOSE to have console modding 100% legal in America...so fucking close.
"
They didn't puss out.  They won.