#1 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

I saw an article on Kotaku a few minutes ago and thought I'd share it with you guys.

Pretty much all but confirms a PS3 price drop in the near future if you ask me, solely on the fact that they actually didn't deny that a price drop was coming.

Thoughts?
#2 Posted by Drebin_893 (2891 posts) -

Interesting. Thanks for the link, man.

#3 Posted by pissedoffthewitch (516 posts) -

Theres always a price drop in the near future. Doesn't mean there will actually be one.

#4 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

Christmas 2009. Put me down for 3Gs.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (35795 posts) -
@SunKing said:
" Christmas 2009. Put me down for 3Gs. "
What about TGS in September?
#6 Posted by Lashe (1243 posts) -

TGS doesn't make sense. I would think they'd want to announce a price drop to a western audience given that the PS3's doing alright in Japan.

I would have thought E3 would have been ideal, if anything.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35795 posts) -
@Lashe said:
" TGS doesn't make sense. I would think they'd want to announce a price drop to a western audience given that the PS3's doing alright in Japan. I would have thought E3 would have been ideal, if anything. "
That was the only other major gaming event I could think of.
#8 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

Weeeeeeell, I reckon they will announce before Christmas, but the price drop will come in October time. That's the bet I'm willing to place.

#9 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Maybe the PS3 slim is happening and with that we'll see a price drop....

#10 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@Lashe said:
" TGS doesn't make sense. I would think they'd want to announce a price drop to a western audience given that the PS3's doing alright in Japan. I would have thought E3 would have been ideal, if anything. "
That was the only other major gaming event I could think of. "
PAX?
#11 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

I doubt they'd announce at PAX. Now I think about it, they probably won't announce a drop this year. If they're going with the strategy of "more content; better value", then a price drop would be overkill.

#12 Posted by acas2011 (44 posts) -

When I see all the great games like InFamous, MAG, and Uncharted 2 that are exclusives, I suddenly get all excited about the PS3, but then i remember that I would be dropping 400 dollars and I immediately lose all interest. Sony needs to stop being so naive and just drop it 100 dollars. As soon as that happens I will run out and buy it immediately. But until then my good old 360 is gonna have to keep me satisfied, and I'm sure that it'll do just fine, especially with Mass Effect 2 on the way!

#13 Posted by tactis (352 posts) -

I kind of agree with them announcing in like August/September makes more sense to prepare for the holiday season, start of June not many people buying consoles

#14 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Hopefully they do it during the summer, 'cause that's when I actually have the time to play games.

Also, if they do it for Christmas, it still sucks 'cause I won't get it as a gift, and I'd have spent all my hard earned dough on presents. :I

#15 Posted by Arsenal86 (123 posts) -

I think that PAX or TGS are not the best places to announce a PS3 price drop the time to announce a price drop is the best as Christmas is only 5 or 4 months away I did think leipzig could be a good place to announce it as it is a big event with 100,000s of people going but the location of the event may not be the best but overall I don't care where they announce it as long it is before christmas 2009

#16 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

Lets face it, with the xbox and its games at its much cheaper price point VS the PS3 at its price point ... SONY has no way of winning this generation of  consoles.

Price drop or fade into memory.

#17 Posted by c_rakestraw (818 posts) -
@tactis said:
"I kind of agree with them announcing in like August/September makes more sense to prepare for the holiday season, start of June not many people buying consoles"
Yeah, announcing that near the holidays would be a good idea. As doing so would probably get more people to buy it, more so than it would if it was announced now. Because during the holiday season people already buy videogame systems as gifts, and a price drop around that point in time would probably get more people to buy a PlayStation 3 for that purpose.

So if a price does happen (and it probably will), then they probably won't announce it until the holidays come around.
#18 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

TGS makes perfect sense because there's a little game called Final Fantasy XIII coming out this fall in Japan for PS3 exclusively (It's not coming out on 360 there).  Now, everyone else is getting Uncharted, Ratchet 2, and MAG, so it does kinda make sense for TGS to be the place to drop it.  Maybe earlier for the US because of Madden.

#19 Posted by c_rakestraw (818 posts) -
@KingBroly said:
" TGS makes perfect sense because there's a little game called Final Fantasy XIII coming out this fall in Japan for PS3 exclusively (It's not coming out on 360 there).  Now, everyone else is getting Uncharted, Ratchet 2, and MAG, so it does kinda make sense for TGS to be the place to drop it.  Maybe earlier for the US because of Madden. "
Yeah, but wouldn't they buy a PlayStation 3 regardless of price just for Final Fantasy XIII? I mean, it is an extremely popular series over there. I imagine the ones who really want it will buy a PS3 regardless of its price.

Of course, a price drop would probably help sales of both the system and the game. So it would be more beneficial for them if they did that.
#20 Edited by Meptron (1073 posts) -

N'gai Croal was talking about this on G4 before E3. He predicted no price drop for the PS3 @ E3, because the timing would be better closer to the holidays. No doubt Sony has decided to have a price drop for the holidays but If you announce it now you kill sales until then. Best to hold off and announce it in Sept./Oct. to coincide with the holiday rush and the release of a bunch of games.

edit: I was also thinking of the PS3 slim rumours. What if they announce a price drop it late summer, let that go for a couple of months to dry up stock, then annouce a PS3 slim for the holidays @ the original price? Possible.
#21 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

If they don't announce it for summer then the holidays are your best bet.

#22 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
#23 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -
@C_Rakestraw said:
"
@KingBroly said:
" TGS makes perfect sense because there's a little game called Final Fantasy XIII coming out this fall in Japan for PS3 exclusively (It's not coming out on 360 there).  Now, everyone else is getting Uncharted, Ratchet 2, and MAG, so it does kinda make sense for TGS to be the place to drop it.  Maybe earlier for the US because of Madden. "
Yeah, but wouldn't they buy a PlayStation 3 regardless of price just for Final Fantasy XIII? I mean, it is an extremely popular series over there. I imagine the ones who really want it will buy a PS3 regardless of its price.Of course, a price drop would probably help sales of both the system and the game. So it would be more beneficial for them if they did that. "
But lowering the price to $300 would increase the amount of people that by a PS3, though.  77,000 people bought a PS3 for the FFXIII demo.  Cutting the price on the phat PS3 would get more buyers, yes.  Here's how I see it:

Phat PS3:  Price cut to $299 (becomes discontinued)
Slim PS3:  Price starts at $399
#24 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

I was only surprised at no PS3 price drop because I thought it would fit with their plans to release  the PS3 Slim.

Drop the price of the current PS3 while stopping production until stock runs low. Start making PS3 Slim's and around mid-October, start rolling them out into stores.

I just think a price-drop during the sumer is a smart thing to do since people are getting out of school and have more time to devote to games.
#25 Posted by KamasamaK (2407 posts) -

Price drop will be later in the year. I never expected them to announce a drop at E3, though I did kind of expect bundle announcements since they're always on about improving perceived value.

#26 Posted by freakin (404 posts) -

Price drops should be announced the moment they happen, there shouldn't be announcements of a future price drop.    All things considered though the Ps3 is doing amazingly well given just how much it costs, I think one smart move relating to not dropping your price is there is a perceived value you create in people's minds.  Personally I think the Ps3 will end up in 2nd by generation's end.

#27 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@freakin: So... the Wii will drop to third?

I mean that in the most non-fanboyish way possible. Is the PS3 the best console available? Yes. I love my friends PS3 more than my own 360. But, there's a reason I don't have one, and that's the price. I simply can't afford $460 (console + game) on a console right now, especially with the poor economy. It's much more practical to buy a 360 at $300.

Besides, a consumer can get the highest-end 360 or the low-end PS3 for the same price. It's a no brainer to most.
#28 Posted by freakin (404 posts) -

I disagree, I actually think MS has the best console, but some people forget that MS didn't really have a great start, they didn't meet their sales goals, they failed again in Japan, they have put together a incredible service with a spectacular library, in the end though I'd guess MS is really happy given just how bad the original Xbox did but they definitely left the door open to slide back into 3rd.  Having said that, I do expect Sony to remain 3rd in actual profit as it relates to the Ps3, but given that the blu-ray has become dominant, once the recession is over that should pay large dividends for them.

#29 Edited by c_rakestraw (818 posts) -
@KingBroly said:
"
@C_Rakestraw said:
"
@KingBroly said:
Yeah, but wouldn't they buy a PlayStation 3 regardless of price just for Final Fantasy XIII? I mean, it is an extremely popular series over there. I imagine the ones who really want it will buy a PS3 regardless of its price.Of course, a price drop would probably help sales of both the system and the game. So it would be more beneficial for them if they did that. "
But lowering the price to $300 would increase the amount of people that by a PS3, though.  77,000 people bought a PS3 for the FFXIII demo.  Cutting the price on the phat PS3 would get more buyers, yes.  Here's how I see it:Phat PS3:  Price cut to $299 (becomes discontinued)Slim PS3:  Price starts at $399 "
Well, if 77,000 people bought one just for the demo, what's to stop 77,000 more (or more than that) from buying one for the full game? Sony could see that, and opt not to drop the price because they think that people will buy one despite the high price. Which if they did and people still bought it, then that would result in a bigger profit for them. As the high price, and the amount of people buying it, would make them more money at the time of the games release. Which makes it a viable option.

I'm not saying a price drop won't happen, just that there's a possibility that they won't. I think they should, because that would be better for them in the long run. But that doesn't mean they will. Anythings possible at this point. But hopefully they'll be smart and cut the price, as that's been needed for a long time now.