Sony Movies Return to Netflix on 360

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
Pretty much the reason the Xbox 360 was invented.
The face-plain motives behind the recent removal of all Sony-owned movies and TV shows from the Xbox 360's Netflix streaming video feature seemed to be that Sony wasn't going to help legitimize one of the hot new features of its competitor's product. Neither Sony nor Netflix have commented on the motivation behind the pull, though there's an obvious logic to this conclusion, one that's backed up by the fact that access to the content in question was only being blocked on the 360. Streaming these Sony flicks through your PC or some other set-top box was still totally kosher.

Throwing this sturdy bit of armchair deduction out the window is the fact that--again, without any statements from Netflix or Sony--most of the movies that were being blocked have been reinstated. As reported by Gizmodo, you can once again watch Roxanne and Ghostbusters and any number of Columbia Pictures movies that I watched repeatedly when I was eight on your Xbox 360. Confusing the situation even further is the fact that Sony movies which were licensed to Netflix through its deal with the Starz channel remain blocked on the 360, though there are still plenty of powered-by-Starz movies that can be streamed to a 360.

Bewildering as this all might be, it's all good news for folks who benefit from the co-mingling of their Xbox Live and Netflix accounts. It's good news for Microsoft, and it's good news for Netflix. It's still not good for Sony, and it still doesn't make nearly as much sense as the original theory of a vindictive Sony trying to put gum in Microsoft's hair.
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
The face-plain motives behind the recent removal of all Sony-owned movies and TV shows from the Xbox 360's Netflix streaming video feature seemed to be that Sony wasn't going to help legitimize one of the hot new features of its competitor's product. Neither Sony nor Netflix have commented on the motivation behind the pull, though there's an obvious logic to this conclusion, one that's backed up by the fact that access to the content in question was only being blocked on the 360. Streaming these Sony flicks through your PC or some other set-top box was still totally kosher.

Throwing this sturdy bit of armchair deduction out the window is the fact that--again, without any statements from Netflix or Sony--most of the movies that were being blocked have been reinstated. As reported by Gizmodo, you can once again watch Roxanne and Ghostbusters and any number of Columbia Pictures movies that I watched repeatedly when I was eight on your Xbox 360. Confusing the situation even further is the fact that Sony movies which were licensed to Netflix through its deal with the Starz channel remain blocked on the 360, though there are still plenty of powered-by-Starz movies that can be streamed to a 360.

Bewildering as this all might be, it's all good news for folks who benefit from the co-mingling of their Xbox Live and Netflix accounts. It's good news for Microsoft, and it's good news for Netflix. It's still not good for Sony, and it still doesn't make nearly as much sense as the original theory of a vindictive Sony trying to put gum in Microsoft's hair.
BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BinaryDragon

Any news on what they might do for europe/ uk?

First? (yay)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

That's cool.

Enjoy, Netflix users. :-D

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Bah, I wish Nextflix and the feature was available to Canadian Xbox live users.

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RodneythePom

Love the netflix feature, just used it tonight to watch Mystery, Alaska.

Clockswork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Clockswork

I'm still waiting for the Europe Netflix :/

Avatar image for curtismancannon
CurtisManCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CurtisManCannon

Where does "Superbad" lie in all of this?  I just tried to add it last night and I was listed as being blocked on the 360.

Slique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slique

It definitely seems like Europe and Canada are being left out in the cold here. Come on, guys, we deserve a little lovin' too. :(

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By trulyalive

Maybe Sony are holding the films ransom, coughing out a dozen every time Netflix/Microsoft make a hefty payment...?

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By Aaron_G

I still think it was pretty fishy that they disappeared in the first place.

Andrwmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Andrwmorph

I've been using my PS3 and PlayOn to watch Netflix (and Hulu).

Mox007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mox007

I wish that Sony would allow for Netflix to stream to the PS3.

At least I can watch Hulu through the browser :)

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Don;t they get money when someone watches their movies? They obviously have to make some sort of money off of it, they wouldn't just give those movies away. I'm sure they will be fine. Huzzah for MS though, its about time they got this shit up and going well. This is one of those things that delivers on the promise of the 360 being a true MULTImedia device. Now just throw in a better picture browsing/saving thing, maybe even a relaly simple editor, if just for like, Vision pics, an internet browser that actually works, and get iTunes on there, and they will be set. lol

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Don;t they get money when someone watches their movies? They obviously have to make some sort of money off of it, they wouldn't just give those movies away. I'm sure they will be fine. Huzzah for MS though, its about time they got this shit up and going well. This is one of those things that delivers on the promise of the 360 being a true MULTImedia device. Now just throw in a better picture browsing/saving thing, maybe even a relaly simple editor, if just for like, Vision pics, an internet browser that actually works, and get iTunes on there, and they will be set. lol

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By sickVisionz

This is good.  Being the ruthless bastards that they are (and I love them for this), I hope Sony ordered new licenses for Vista on it's VAIOs laptop and saw that the fee jumped up to like $5000 because of "Streaming Media License Restructuring"

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By TaintedSun

If only paying to watch a movie was a concern of mine.

Marsimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marsimus

whats the point in paying and streaming from netflix when you can stream movies from your pc! :P:P

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By harrisonave

Good for Sony.  This is a step in the right direction.  They now now earned some of my respect back ... not that they really care.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

the funniest part of all of this was reading what all the 360 fanboys were saying. they started acting "offended" and shit. ridiculous. 

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cspiffo

It's good that they got this straightened out.  The way I see it is that my money goes to netflix, not M$, to stream movies.  Their really shouldn't have been anyof this B.S. to begin with.  Still it didn't really break my heart to not have Sony movies stream.

deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deaux

So 8-year-old Ryan was a big Roxanne fan.  Cute.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ocdog45

i don't even care. i don't feel bad for Microsoft. Sony did it just to flex their muscle. don't ever forget who still has the real power.

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dQuarters

Sony should keep their properties off of 360. It's not like Nintendo or Microsoft wouldn't do the same if they owned any gigantic movie distribution companies.

I'm a Canadian 360 owner, so this news doesn't really effect me. I'm just syain', this story made more sense when Sony was cock-blocking. No?
I suppose more outlets equates to more money regardless, but then if we follow that logic why not put God of War III on the xbox as well.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By RHCPfan24

This is a strange confusion going on but I hope pretty much all of the movies I want will be on Netflix.  That is when I will have interest.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Systech

This is good.

erikeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By erikeric

I'm sorry but the statement that this isn't all good for Sony is an idiotic one, born of poor logic.  The Xbox never was the issue:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/20/sony-pictures-netflix-issues-not-specific-to-xbox/

I disagree completely that this is bad for Sony. From a business standpoint Sony Pictures needs to collect revenue streams from as many licensing deals as possible and the Xbox is merely one more precious river of cash. Sony's gaming division should never interfere with the movie division's revenue, that's bad for Sony.

The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By The_Icon

ok.........

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Milkman

Well....good.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By radion_null

Netflix on 360, Hulu on PS3.  I like this current gen consoles!

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wardcleaver

I don't know. . .There are so few movies worth watching lately, I really can't say that I needed the Netflix thing to sell me on the merits of owning the 360 and having a gold Live membership.  Besides, who has time to watch movies when you are playing video games?  My crack-like addiction to achievement points occupies plenty of my time already.

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GiantGUS

I´d like to point all of you canadians and europeans to

THIS THREAD

I made where I teach yall how to use Netflix on the 360 without living in the US.

Bill_Hickz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bill_Hickz

Sony needs all the money they can get, Japans in recession and all electronic companys are doing burnouts on thin ice.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Media_Master

Now, if only the 360 would stop red-ringing...