Sony: One Triflin' Mutha--cker

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jhevans51

First off, I must admit I stole the title from a guy who lived down the hall from me my freshman year of college. Toby Toland: thank you for an amazingly applicable quote.

2 years ago, soon after my second PS3's red light flashed, I swore off Sony as a video game platform. By that time, I had replaced 2 original Playstation systems, 3 PS2's (one of which lasted a whopping month after launch) and my backwards-compatible 60gb PS3. With the demise of it's replacement (an 80gb model), I was done with them.

I was willing to forgive them for all the past failures because the technology inside those boxes was just so DAMN GREAT and it was home to so many unique titles that couldn't be found on anywhere else. The main reason I purchased the Playstation initially (after growing up with Nintendo's systems) was to play Final Fantasy VII and I grew to admire their stance as the anti-Nintendo with their developers and what games they would allow to appear on their platform. Unfortunately, the fragility of their hardware (in this regard they were the bizzaro Nintendo, whose consoles and handhelds have never failed me) combined with the shrinking number of exclusive titles eroded my patience and that little flashing red light sealed Sony's fate.

In the space between then and now, I considered reneging on my vow to leave them behind, much like one considers taking back a partner who broke their trust, but I remained strong and resisted my urge to let them back into my AV setup.

Until this:

No Caption Provided

And this:

No Caption Provided

And finally this:

No Caption Provided

The last one sealed it. To quote a great Sports Night episode (really weren't they all great?), it was bishop to queen's rook 7.

Now I have one of the cute, tiny, toploader PS3's, a year's subscription to Playstation Plus, and (thanks to a friend) a PS Vita.

We will see how this goes.

Will this one join the graveyard of Sony products I already possess or will I learn to love again? The question I find myself asking most is "why have I done this again?".

Maybe I'm the triflin' one...

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jhevans51

First off, I must admit I stole the title from a guy who lived down the hall from me my freshman year of college. Toby Toland: thank you for an amazingly applicable quote.

2 years ago, soon after my second PS3's red light flashed, I swore off Sony as a video game platform. By that time, I had replaced 2 original Playstation systems, 3 PS2's (one of which lasted a whopping month after launch) and my backwards-compatible 60gb PS3. With the demise of it's replacement (an 80gb model), I was done with them.

I was willing to forgive them for all the past failures because the technology inside those boxes was just so DAMN GREAT and it was home to so many unique titles that couldn't be found on anywhere else. The main reason I purchased the Playstation initially (after growing up with Nintendo's systems) was to play Final Fantasy VII and I grew to admire their stance as the anti-Nintendo with their developers and what games they would allow to appear on their platform. Unfortunately, the fragility of their hardware (in this regard they were the bizzaro Nintendo, whose consoles and handhelds have never failed me) combined with the shrinking number of exclusive titles eroded my patience and that little flashing red light sealed Sony's fate.

In the space between then and now, I considered reneging on my vow to leave them behind, much like one considers taking back a partner who broke their trust, but I remained strong and resisted my urge to let them back into my AV setup.

Until this:

No Caption Provided

And this:

No Caption Provided

And finally this:

No Caption Provided

The last one sealed it. To quote a great Sports Night episode (really weren't they all great?), it was bishop to queen's rook 7.

Now I have one of the cute, tiny, toploader PS3's, a year's subscription to Playstation Plus, and (thanks to a friend) a PS Vita.

We will see how this goes.

Will this one join the graveyard of Sony products I already possess or will I learn to love again? The question I find myself asking most is "why have I done this again?".

Maybe I'm the triflin' one...

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

But Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes isn't exclusive. It's multiplatform.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts

Well at least you didnt turn to the WiiU for your gaming needs. Im not even sure if my PS3 works anymore. Havent turned the thing on since uncharted 2.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By probablytuna

I've had my fair share of PlayStation consoles expiring, most noticeably three PS2s and one PS3 so far. I'm still a keen believer in the PlayStation brand, only because the first party titles they produce are pretty great.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jhevans51

@N7: The MGS series is a Playstation series to me.

Didn't Kojima say that MGS4 would have been like 7 discs if it would have been on 360 (I'm sure that was an exaggeration, but that dude hates compressing files). Kojima tends to develop around Sony's tech and the ports have never felt right when they've been on other platforms (MGS2: Substance on Xbox made me sad, but Twin Snakes on GC was alright).

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jhevans51

@laserbolts: Yeesh. Unless they have an ace in waiting, like a Zelda or Metroid, for release this year, that thing might go stale faster than cheap bread. Of course, the first year of the DS, that thing was useless to me and it rebounded nicely.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

I can't remember ever having a Sony product break on me without sufficiently heavy use. I mean, my PSP Phat has been bashed, beaten, dropped, hit, and stepped on since 2006, but it still turns on. Most of the time. Granted, the battery cover is taped up and the UMD drive stopped working a while ago, but it still turns on after years of abuse and all of the buttons still work. And it's been modified, so the fact that the UMD drive doesn't work doesn't hurt me at all - I just play GBA games on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You trifliiiin, good for nothing type of brother...

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By rentfn

I agree about MGS. It would be weird playing it on 360. I thought about getting the trilogy on 360 but in the end couldn't. A friend of mine has had two PS3s break. He refuses to get it fixed again. Maybe I'll show him this post to see if it changes his mind.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

Never had a Sony console break on me, I guess either I'm just lucky or you're unlucky/treat your consoles like shit.

Tbf I rarely turn my PS3 on, but whatevs yo.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

I've never touch a PS3, that is all. The last of us does look nice.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By sixpin

Never had much trouble with PSone or PS3, but I had to replace four PS2 systems. Granted my PS3 hasn't seen near the use of my other Playstation consoles, but hardware bricking seems to be one of those you get hit a lot or hardly at all type things.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

I'm on my third PS2 and second PS3. I feel like I've gotten my monies worth out of them every time. Between me and my roommates my first PS3 was on for between three and eight hours a day, everyday for two and a half years, so of course it was going to break. My PSP is probably my favourite system and it still works even though it's from 2005.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BoOzak

I've only had one PS2 break by it's own means, (I dont think dropping it counts) they werent well-made systems in my opinion. I used my Xbox a lot more that didnt break and i've never had a Nintendo console fail on me. (granted I never owned a NES/SNES) Also the Megadrive and Dreamcast saw quite abit of use and i've still got those in working order. Still nothing beats the 360 for POS hardware.

You made the right move getting another PS3 it seems their the only ones who give a damn about the rest of this console generation.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ravenlight

My 360 collects dust just fine by itself. But lately I've been thinking: How much more dust could I collect if I had a PS3?

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jhevans51

@AlexW00d: I definitely don't treat my consoles like shit...

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jhevans51

@sixpin: You ever read any of the stories about 2nd gen Playstations that would only work if they were upside down? I had one of those. I really think I'm cursed when it comes to Sony hardware.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By sixpin

@jhevans51: Yeah, I heard about those. I didn't have one, but a friend of mine in high school had a PSone that only worked on when standing on edge. We had a good laugh about that after the PS2 was revealed to stand on edge as a feature.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jhevans51

@BoOzak: What's funny is that I have a launch day 360 and it still works. Granted, it is now in light use, as I bought a slim model with the larger HDD a couple of years back, but it still works fine. They do take the cake for horrible reliability though.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jhevans51

@Ravenlight: One of the great questions of life...