• 61 results
#1 Posted by Village_Guy (2637 posts) -
Is this the future for the Playstation?

Game Informer reports that a patent from Sony has appeared online, and it appears to show how games will suddenly(?) pause the game and show you an add before resuming the game?

Hopefully this won't be the future, because this is totally crazy and absolutely horrible. I don't want adds in the middle of my games, it is annoying enough when watching TV and I feel like it would be even worse in games.

---

Original Article from Game Informer:

A Sony patent has appeared online showing a advertising method that will interrupt your game in the most invasive way possible.

The patent shows illustrations of a car racing against other cars, some warning lights (or loud speaker blaring, I'm not entirely sure), and then the game pauses and shows an ad for the tastiest looking soda you have ever seen. It's literally the best brand. Thankfully, your game resumes. It may even rewind to return you to your original position before you were teased with that tasty can of soda.

Remember when we complained about billboards showing ads in racing games, or that one random Subway sandwich shop in Infamous 2? I don't feel like those are so bad anymore.

You can click here to download the full patent with all its wonderful illustrations.

#2 Posted by Illuminosopher (334 posts) -

I guess it would depend on if the game was free to play or not

#3 Posted by IBurningStar (2188 posts) -

If this is true then I will no longer be supporting Sony by buying their products.

#4 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

I'm out. It's been fun while it lasted, video games.

#5 Posted by Kaiserreich (711 posts) -

Latest innovation! Suck it up and swallow the future!

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3239 posts) -

Hopefully being a Plus+ memeber will negate this. If not , this totally sucks.

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4643 posts) -

@Illuminosopher said:

I guess it would depend on if the game was free to play or not

I bet anyone $100 that this idea is specifically designed for f2p games. Sony does some dumb shit, but interrupting your Last Guardian playthrough to show you a Sprite commercial is not something they would do.

#8 Edited by AltonBrown (951 posts) -

I doubt this'll actually happen. But man. That's pretty messed up.

#9 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

QUICK !!!!! lets all overreact !!!!!!! all new sony game will be like this and video games as we know it are over !!!!!!!!

#10 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Count me out buying their products if they go down that route. I will just wait for pirates to crack them and then play them the way I want. I don't believe it will happen though.

#11 Posted by N7 (3595 posts) -

They also have a patent that will allow your PlaystationEye to become sentient and follow you around.

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Amazing.

#13 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

At least they've partnered with Best Brand Soda. I'm drinking one right now!

#14 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@SpartanAmbrose said:

I'm out. It's been fun while it lasted, video games.

Perfect!

#15 Posted by fox01313 (5083 posts) -

Betting this is just going to be on the pause screens of advertising related games like the Yaris/Doritos games that appeared on Xbox Live Arcade.

#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

I'm sure it will just be in their attempt at F2P games. As long as they don't ruin the game by popping this stuff up in the middle of story events then I'm fine. If seeing an ad at the end of a games chapter while the next one is loading becomes the new F2P model instead of them cutting content to nickel and dime it out at $1 a pop then I'm fine with that. Just like ads on TV, it's just a friendly reminder to the gamer that they may need to go pee or to get up and walk around to get the circulation in the legs going again while they wait somewhere else in their house for the ad to end.

#17 Posted by killacam (1285 posts) -

this is obviously not going to be the case, at least in regards to retail games. don't be ridiculous.

#18 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Bet it will be in there F2P mmos. Also that would make a good stage in sony all stars thing.

#19 Posted by kindgineer (2771 posts) -

This will most likely have to do with F2P games which I believe will be a huge part of the next generation of consoles.

#20 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

Yo, did your TV just interrupt your entertainment to show you an ad? Guess what, they best pay up, cuz Sony just patented commercials and are going to be rich!

#21 Posted by CookieMonster (2423 posts) -

Wow thats fucking dumb. I would have thought showing adverts as you're using the pause menu would make more sense.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Didn't the Gizmondo already do something like this?

#23 Posted by Soap (3613 posts) -

People Patent shit all the time, it doesn't mean anything at all.

#24 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

I don't know who thought this would be a good idea...

#25 Posted by Sharpshooter (889 posts) -

If they took the time and effort to make a patent application for this then someone in Sony thinks this is a good idea. if they actually implement this then I for one won't be buying any more Sony products. I have no problem with Sony getting the patent, that way if someone tried to implement something like this Sony can say "We have this piece of paper saying you owe us money". Makes business sense. Thing is if any company does this I won't buy from them.

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

its probably a dumb idea that they decided to get a patent for. i doubt it'd even have the technology be developed for this, it'll probably remain in the concept stage.

though the idea is pretty horrible.

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Didn't the Gizmondo already do something like this?

If it did, they obviously didn't patent it.

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (10078 posts) -

I wonder if anyone has patented advertisements during loading screens. Just a still image of Mordin drinking Dr. Pepper. "The Doctors!"

#29 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2901 posts) -

Oh, stop being silly people, this will be used on 'free games' and that might just be a 'maybe'. So, maybe, free games and maybe at the end of a free demo. This will not be part of any games you buy. And, yes thank GOD this is possible because free-to-play games have to make money somehow - I'd rather watch an ad rather then sink real money in tokens or credits to get anywhere in a so-called free-to-play game.

#30 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Most likely a free to play only thing, if not that sucks.

#31 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (494 posts) -

Maybe it's all just a cunning plan to get PSN users to upgrade to PSN + so they don't have to view awful ads?

I doubt it though. Not even Sony is that dumb.

#32 Posted by PolygonSlayer (430 posts) -

This will obviously not be for paid games, but for free to play games I would assume. If they put this in a game you paid money for.. well, then I for sure would not be playing it.

#33 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1140 posts) -

I am a bit surprised that ads during a loading screen has yet to become a norm. I was reminded recently that Wipeout HD did it, and I would have thought it would have taken off.

#34 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

Hopefully this will never actually be a thing. It's a scary idea though.

#35 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Here I come PC games!

#36 Posted by Aetheldod (3632 posts) -

So much optimism ... so cute :3

#37 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Sounds like a Free To Play thing so I'm not really worried. 
And companies have patented lots of crazy things just to patent stuff but never actually used them for anything at all.  Heck some of them even patented something just to make sure it would never happen. 

I mean.. noo, let us all freak out aaaah, how terrible. aaah aaah aaah! danger.. and junk

#38 Posted by seannao (227 posts) -

Did you know that there's actually a patent on toast? It's called the 'bread refreshing method'

There are even diagrams of BREAD.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6080436

#39 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

@killacam said:

this is obviously not going to be the case, at least in regards to retail games. don't be ridiculous.

Yeah I think it's just a can, not the case.

#40 Posted by FateOfNever (1848 posts) -

On the plus side, since Sony is patenting this, it means no one else will want to pay Sony to use this awful idea, so, we only have to worry about Sony using it? With any luck? It would be great if Sony just patented this so that it won't actually become a thing, but, I can't imagine they won't try to use it somewhere. And wherever it gets used it will be awful, even if it's just in some free to play game, it will still be thoroughly awful and crappy there.

#41 Posted by MocBucket62 (1247 posts) -

Wow this will suck royally if Sony allows this. As for any advertising I see within a game, this is what I have to say: 

#42 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

This would work wonders in fighting games.

The following Delayed Hyper Combo is brought to you by Pringles.

#43 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5308 posts) -

Don't IOS games do this when you get them for free? It's a bad idea if it's used on games that you actually payed money for. If it's just for F2P then that'd be allright I guess.

#44 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Lunar_Aura said:

This would work wonders in fighting games.

The following Delayed Hyper Combo is brought to you by Pringles.

Or it just turns your controller off and goes 
"If you had bought Energizer batteries for your controller this wouldn't have happened, look now you're dead"  and the dumb pink bunny then walks over to your dead corpse and teabags him 
#45 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

There is no way this will happen for anything other than free to play games. You don't get ads during a movie/music cd/game, because you paid for it.

#46 Posted by 49th (2785 posts) -

Perhaps Sony patented it to prevent other companies from doing this! All hail Sony!

#47 Posted by Commisar123 (1796 posts) -

Well if the game is F2P or you get some sort of steep discount then it might be okay, as long as they don't mess with a game I pay real money for

#48 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -
@Kaiserreich said:

Latest innovation! Suck it up and swallow the future!

Are you a journalist? You have to tell me if you are.
#49 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

It's a patent, not a design doc.

#50 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

This is good thing if it means free games. I'd say cheaper games but you gotta be careful with that one. (see also: on-disc DLC, but game still costs 60 dollars)

It could also be good for digital rentals. The ads would offset the cost of bandwidth of downloading all the games.