• 55 results
#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

http://kotaku.com/5951320/todays-best-discovery-sony-wants-to-patent-a-ps3-move-controller-that-gets-hot-or-cold

Controller gets hotter as your gun overheats

In one embodiment, a user controls the firing of a weapon in a video game. As the weapon is repeatedly fired, the weapon may heat up and the controller may exhibit increasing heat feedback to communicate this fact to the user. At a certain point, the weapon may become inoperable, and the user must then wait for the weapon to cool off before firing the weapon again. This can likewise be indicated to the user by reducing the level of heat feedback or actively cooling the controller. It will also be noted that the controller may exhibit lighted feedback in conjunction with the thermal feedback. For example, as the weapon heats up, the controller light may change from a cooler color to a warmer color, such as from blue or green to orange or red. Similarly, when the weapon cools down, the color exhibited may revert to the cooler color.

what you guys think? sony is not trying to copy nintendo for once!

#2 Posted by 49th (2551 posts) -

That's quite cool. But also dumb.

#3 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

i think its cool it will make the games be more immersible just like rumble did.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

i think its cool it will make the games be more immersible just like rumble did.

I really doubt that. Who wants to have their controller grow warm in their grasp on a warm summer evening?

#5 Posted by fox01313 (5034 posts) -

About as stupid sounding & will get as many good games made using it as the sixaxis. Most games I've played trying to use sixaxis just were not fun for me so this should only be good on a couple of games if history is repeated.

#6 Edited by _Chad (957 posts) -

My hands already sweat like crazy when I play games.

#7 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@ChadMasterFlash: it can also cool your hands down. I once had a pc gaming controller that had fans in it i loved it.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19179 posts) -

Would have to experience this to see how I'd feel about it. There were probably naysayers when rumble wasn't yet an implemented concept and now controllers feel weird without it.

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

Yeah.

Nah.

#10 Posted by msavo (7523 posts) -

Nothing I love more than talking about patents...

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9793 posts) -

This thing will never see the light of day.

Because it's crazy.

But man, I love Japan.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11063 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Would have to experience this to see how I'd feel about it. There were probably naysayers when rumble wasn't yet an implemented concept and now controllers feel weird without it.

I always turn rumble off. It annoys me more often than not.

As for this, I'll probably do the same thing. I do not need a controller to tell me that my gun's overheating. If I can't turn it off I'll do controller surgery and remove it. This sounds more like gimmicky tech that Sony's patenting in order to prevent others from using it and to pursue lawsuits.

#13 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4282 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Should be popular among the "massage app" crowd.

You have no idea. Sold!

#14 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

its pretty interesting to see how close minded gamers are here. Glad you guys are no in charge of any gaming companies because gaming would go no where.

#15 Posted by prod88 (44 posts) -

that sounds stupid

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5187 posts) -

A cold controller sounds pretty awesome for the summer because I live in a very hot place. However I'd bet money this is just another case of a big company building it's patent library, with no intention of actually implementing the technology. Kotaku seems to post some weird patent every time there's a slow news day.

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (12989 posts) -

Could be cool. Cool.

#18 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

That sounds dumb, but also dumb.

#19 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

This kindof stuff doesn't really appeal to me, I ussually turn off rumble. They won't be able to make it cool it would be too expensive for a controller, and they wouldn't be able to make it that hot because some kid will fall asleep with the controller on him and burn himself.

#20 Posted by Icemael (6271 posts) -

A controller that makes your palms sweaty. Truly the next big hardware innovation.

#21 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -
#22 Posted by Gamer_152 (13977 posts) -

I actually think this is kind of excellent. Not sure it'll ever see the light of day, but I like the concept.

#23 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19179 posts) -

I'm excited for any potential interesting video game input/output technology. It kinda saddens me that people are so ready to dismiss something they haven't yet experience.

Though maybe some think this particular idea is far-fetched, I feel like there are many who will dismiss anything that's new just because they're set in their ways.

#24 Posted by TooWalrus (12989 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
Could be cool. Cool.
IS NOBODY GOING TO TOUCH THIS. 

Sigh.
#25 Posted by Ares42 (2448 posts) -

When will the industry learn that it's not about gimmicks, it's about making good games.... oh, Wii... nm me, I'm just gonna go cry in the corner.

#26 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

a warm glowing dildo.

meh, doesn't sound to good. sometimes my hands get sweaty from just playing.

#27 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@TooWalrus
Could be cool. Cool.
This could be the next hot thing on the market. Hot.
#28 Posted by Clonedzero (3749 posts) -

thats the dumbest thing ive heard in awhile. i doubt they actually make it. companies patent things all the time without the real intention of making it.

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10227 posts) -

I want the opposite. I want something along the lines of the Nyko Air Flo.

#30 Posted by mlarrabee (2764 posts) -

A lawsuit waiting to happen.

"My PS4 controller burned my genitals when I stuffed it down my pants!"

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

Seems like something that could break really quickly.

#32 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

I really doubt that. Who wants to have their controller grow warm in their grasp on a warm summer evening?

Yeah, no thanks. I live in southern Cali. It's hot here like 10 months out of the year. Same reason I'll never pay extra for heated seats in my car. More sweat is the last thing I'm asking for.

#33 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Sounds interesting. Could have some nice uses for puzzle games.

#34 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

I hope this burns my house down and I become rich off a lawsuit.

#35 Posted by Example1013 (4750 posts) -

WANT

#36 Posted by Akrid (1346 posts) -

I don't want my controllers to be a fire hazard, nor do I want my hands to get even hotter while playing. Don't matter none though, since this is going into the file marked "Sit on it" in Sony's cabinet.

#37 Posted by devilzrule27 (1236 posts) -

Could be interesting. I'm always interested to try out a new piece of tech.

#38 Posted by me3639 (1608 posts) -

Heat? That's all they got?

#39 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

look up the first google image result for the REZ trance vibrator....sometimes these ideas work out great :)

#40 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

I don't think rumble makes anything more immersive, I don't miss it at all when I play on PC.

#41 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

I fail to see how much use you could get out of it. I'd expect a couple of FPS and Cooking Mama or Order Up!.

#42 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2442 posts) -

Parents would sue their pants off. Expect "mildly lukewarm controller" at best. But then again, hands already warm that thing up pretty good, so I don't know how that is supposed to work both safely and perceptible. Imagine you have cold hands in winter, play some COD and the thing heats up -- conversly, in summer you don't feel anything.

Yeah, I think this is really dumb.

#43 Posted by Vexxan (4600 posts) -

Just waiting for that heat control to fail and explode in your hands.

#44 Posted by Grillbar (1774 posts) -

yep just what i need a warm controller, since mine is always to cold.

yes i know its the not point of the controller but still its kinda dumb.

more then the controller with fans in it to cool your hand while playing.

but still i kinda want to see if they could make it work as intended if it ever comes out

#45 Posted by Galiant (2164 posts) -

I like this idea. I always miss rumble when it's not there. Some games are really enhanced by it - like Metal Gear Solid 4. That game had a rumble director...and the rumble was pretty amazing. It's not just 'on' or 'off', that thing had some incredible rumble combinations of different varieties, like when Snake was examining a weapon or something.

I'm thinking the heat variation might actually be pretty great for immersion. Imagine walking through a snow storm in Skyrim and your hands start getting cold...

#46 Edited by weirdo (142 posts) -

Well slap my dick and tickle my asshole! That actually sounds very awesome, personally i have no doubt this will inspire other controllers in this area

#47 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

Oooooh, so we can all expect this to be replacing rumble in the Playstation 4, then?

#48 Posted by VierasTalo (585 posts) -

I don't really think heat on the controller would exactly improve any game. Especially a shooter. The last thing I'm thinking about when playing a game is how hot that gun on the screen is.

Also, I wouldn't expect much of this. I recall Sony grabbing the rights for mouldable plastic/electronic technology of some sort quite a few years back. The idea was that you could mould your block of a controller into any shape the game requires. Guess that didn't quite work out as intended.

#49 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

This seems kind of cool as a novelty idea, but I'd wager it would be way expensive.

#50 Posted by zels (204 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

its pretty interesting to see how close minded gamers are here. Glad you guys are no in charge of any gaming companies because gaming would go no where.

If you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

What it eventually boils down to, is it something interesting or is it a pointless gimmick? I think this one's a pointless gimmick that would significantly reduce battery life.