Sony Reports $1 Billion Dollar Loss

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

And they expect to lose more money. Perhaps this is the end of the PS3 & the System War?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30741035/

An excerpt: "Sony Corp. reported its first annual net loss in 14 years and forecast a bigger loss this year, saying the pressure from sliding sales, competition in gadget prices and a strong yen was expected to continue."

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

$1 Billion... that's a lot of money. And, no. It won't be the end of the PS3, I'm certain of that.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By randiolo

yea coz the sony's the only one making a loss.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
randiolo said:
"yea coz the sony's the only one making a loss."
No, but Microsoft netted $3 billion in the third quarter.
nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By nexas
MB said:
"randiolo said:
No, but Microsoft netted $3 billion in the third quarter. "
In the gaming market or overall? I mean its frickin Microsoft.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

Overall, Xbox is like pocket change for MS.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By randiolo
MB said:
"randiolo said:
No, but Microsoft netted $3 billion in the third quarter. "
i wasnt talking about microsoft, or nintendo for that matter.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

According to Kotaku, game hardware is looking pretty good over last year.  PSP and PS3 sales are up over 2007 and while less PS2 are being sold, that system has been money for them for so long that it's paid for its self long ago. 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

Yes. But software also saw an 80% rise on Playstation 3 moving up by 45.8million sales (on last year) to a whopping net total of 103.7 million sales for the year. PS3 and PSP hardware sales were also up, and the gaming division cut its losses by half.

Compared to last year, the Playstation brand certainly moved forward generously.

They also expect PS3 sales to be up 30% this coming year, which means a price drop is likely to come.

I'm glad you managed to report the overall negatives without touching on the positives though. *applauds*.

Sony is a Japanese company who manufacture high-quality/premium-price gadgets. Of course the recession and strong Yen is going to hit its profits. There's no doubt they need to make changes to their electronic divisions but the evidence above suggests the Playstation brand is developing well.

Current worldwide Playstation 3 sales are at 23 million. The system is still the most expensive by a long-shot and has also been on the market the least. The PSP is the only non-Nintendo handheld to last this long. PS3 sales have been higher than the Wii for the past 10 weeks in Japan.

I agree. Sony's fortnes haven't been generous this generation. But it's a long, long, long, long, long way off getting pulled altogether. The Playstation is alive and kicking, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
get2sammyb said:
"Yes. But software also saw an 80% rise on Playstation 3 moving up by 45.8million sales (on last year) to a whopping net total of 103.7 million sales for the year. PS3 and PSP hardware sales were also up, and the gaming division cut its losses by half.Compared to last year, the Playstation brand certainly moved forward generously.They also expect PS3 sales to be up 30% this coming year, which means a price drop is likely to come.I'm glad you managed to report the overall negatives without touching on the positives though. *applauds*.Sony is a Japanese company who manufacture high-quality/premium-price gadgets. Of course the recession and strong Yen is going to hit its profits. There's no doubt they need to make changes to their electronic divisions but the evidence above suggests the Playstation brand is developing well.Current worldwide Playstation 3 sales are at 23 million. The system is still the most expensive by a long-shot and has also been on the market the least. The PSP is the only non-Nintendo handheld to last this long. PS3 sales have been higher than the Wii for the past 10 weeks in Japan.I agree. Sony's fortnes haven't been generous this generation. But it's a long, long, long, long, long way off getting pulled altogether. The Playstation is alive and kicking, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future."
Pointing out the negatives of Sorny is what I'm here for. :)

Ok, so you're saying that Sorny is still dying pretty hard....but you seem to think it was recent.  Here is another article from 2006 right before the PS3 was released "Can the PS3 save Sorny?"  Well, since they're still in RED INK 3 years later, I'd say it hasn't saved them shit. See the article for various charts & graphs of their Epic Failure Cruise that has lasted for, I don't know, 5-10 years now?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.09/sony.html

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
@get2sammyb: The report looks at Sony as a whole and being a corporation heavily invested in electronics during this economic time they're going to post some bad news. In fact let's not dance around it, Sony is hurting because they are a electronics developer. Both their music and consumer electronics divisions are showing some problems.  With Sony BMG being a music label, they're facing some troubles with the rise of iTunes and other digital services for music, but this is nothing new, all of the "Big Four" music labels are showing some trouble in a post ITunes world. The Walkman was killed by the Ipod, thought it is starting to make a come back with those Walkman based phones, but still Sony use to have the entire market for portable music players and lost it. As for the HDTV division, no one saw Vizio, an Irvine CA based company, becoming as popular as they are. Part of the reason is that Costco decided to pick them up, but still they really came out of nowhere and are challenging Sony's dominance in that market. As for Sony Pictures, they went from 16.8% (in 2004)  of the U.S. motion picture industry to 13.2%, but the only reason why the lost ground this year is that Warner's Dark Knight suck up a lot of the market.

As for the PS3 your right it is solid. Of all of the divisions of Sony it seems to look the most stable and there is no way in hell Sony is going to give up the one of the few division of their corporation that is constantly generating money for them. Unless of course they become an American auto maker over-night...sorry I had to at least crack one joke.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
Lind_L_Taylor said:
"get2sammyb said:
"Yes. But software also saw an 80% rise on Playstation 3 moving up by 45.8million sales (on last year) to a whopping net total of 103.7 million sales for the year. PS3 and PSP hardware sales were also up, and the gaming division cut its losses by half.Compared to last year, the Playstation brand certainly moved forward generously.They also expect PS3 sales to be up 30% this coming year, which means a price drop is likely to come.I'm glad you managed to report the overall negatives without touching on the positives though. *applauds*.Sony is a Japanese company who manufacture high-quality/premium-price gadgets. Of course the recession and strong Yen is going to hit its profits. There's no doubt they need to make changes to their electronic divisions but the evidence above suggests the Playstation brand is developing well.Current worldwide Playstation 3 sales are at 23 million. The system is still the most expensive by a long-shot and has also been on the market the least. The PSP is the only non-Nintendo handheld to last this long. PS3 sales have been higher than the Wii for the past 10 weeks in Japan.I agree. Sony's fortnes haven't been generous this generation. But it's a long, long, long, long, long way off getting pulled altogether. The Playstation is alive and kicking, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future."
Pointing out the negatives of Sorny is what I'm here for. :)Ok, so you're saying that Sorny is still dying pretty hard....but you seem to think it was recent.  Here is another article from 2006 right before the PS3 was released "Can the PS3 save Sorny?"  Well, since they're still in RED INK 3 years later, I'd say it hasn't saved them shit. See the article for various charts & graphs of their Epic Failure Cruise that has lasted for, I don't know, 5-10 years now?http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.09/sony.html"
Refer to ZombiePie's post. You seem to forget how big Sony are as a company.

Had the PS3 have been profitable it wouldn't have offset their other losses. The PS3 still has the potential to turn the fortunes of Sony. Certainly it is the one asset they have capable of turning a profit in the future.

It's not going to happen over night. There's no doubt Sony as a global company have changes to make but you don't just reorganise a company the size of Sony overnight. At the moment their TVs are getting their asses kicked by cheaper Samsungs; their record label is hit by a decline in record sales; their Walkman is getting it's ass kicked by Apple; their phones are getting their ass kicked by other major parties; I'm not sure about the movie side.

What I'm saying is - even though the games division lost out overall, the figures suggest that of all the assets Sony have - the Playstation brand stands the strongest to make a turn around. An 80% software sales increase is enormous for Playstation 3, and the fact that hardware sales improved despite a MASSIVE pricing advantage from competitors DURING a recession is also impressive too.
atrumtempestas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By atrumtempestas

Sony needs to stop making the PS2. Although it still makes them money (more than the PS3 in many cases), it is keeping a great number of PS2 owners from moving onto the next generation. They need to be freed from the shackles of outdated technology, if Sony truly believes in the potential of its latest console.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By thiago
atrumtempestas said:
Sony needs to stop making the PS2. Although it still makes them money (more than the PS3 in many cases), ... [more]

Are you insane? The PS2 sold almost the same quantity of units as the 360 in April. Who in their right mind would stop selling a product that has such huge demand?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
PenguinDust said:
According to Kotaku, game hardware is looking pretty good over last year.  PSP and PS3 sales are up over 2007 ... [more]
So this loss isn't entirely related to the PlayStation line? Yay, damage control!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust
Video_Game_King said:
PenguinDust said: According to Kotaku, game hardware is looking pretty good over last year.  PSP and PS3 sales are up ... [more]
There is an update to this.  According to Destructiod Sony is still losing 10% or $40 off of every PS3 sold.  So even though sales are up, manufacturing costs still exceed the retail price as of March 2009.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
PenguinDust said:
Glitchy glitchy Engrish
I wanted to say something about it, but I thought it'd come off as biased.
IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IVIorpheus

It's not the end, but it's a big hit....