Posted by SuperTyson (11 posts) -

Apparently that rumor about Sony bringing a video game streaming service to Playstation Plus/PSN was correct after all. Obviously, there's implications for Sony TVs, phones, etc. as well. Kind of excited, as a PS Plus user.

#1 Posted by SuperTyson (11 posts) -

Apparently that rumor about Sony bringing a video game streaming service to Playstation Plus/PSN was correct after all. Obviously, there's implications for Sony TVs, phones, etc. as well. Kind of excited, as a PS Plus user.

#2 Posted by SuperTyson (11 posts) -
#3 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Hmm, well this could be cool, I guess.

#4 Posted by wastedcolumbo (65 posts) -

Well that makes backwards compatibility easier for the PS4....

#5 Posted by seagaia (10 posts) -

What exactly is a video game streaming service? Like the game executes on some server and you just see the visual output/etc? (Playing 'remotely'?)

#6 Posted by alternate (2654 posts) -

@seagaia said:

What exactly is a video game streaming service? Like the game executes on some server and you just see the visual output/etc? (Playing 'remotely'?)

Pretty much. Read on-live. The main criticisms would be moot for BC games (PS1 and PS2, maybe PS3 in the future).

#7 Posted by kindgineer (2484 posts) -

Awesome. Although I don't subscribe to On-Live (don't have any real reason) - the idea is fantastic. With internet maturing and more and more citizens getting their hands on better ISP's, streaming will be a great service to equalize those who cannot afford a monster computer.

#8 Posted by SuperTyson (11 posts) -

@ck1nd: Absolutely. Being able to stream stuff that would bog down a gaming rig and bringing a big publisher into the fray seems pretty interesting.

#9 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -

I remember seeing the stuff about Gaikai streaming Mass Effect 3 in browsers.  

Imagine the stuff this could do for the Vita.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (13837 posts) -

Without making another thread in other sony acquisitions they also brought Seth Killian formerly of Capcom fame on board. News just broke on twitter.

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Without making another thread in other sony acquisitions they also brought Seth Killian formerly of Capcom fame on board. News just broke on twitter.

That's good news for them, I like Seth Killian.

This could be great for streaming BC games, especially if they price everything correctly or use some kind of subscription model.

#12 Posted by SuperTyson (11 posts) -

The Vita comment is really intriguing, as it could turn it into a true mobile PS3 with the streaming tech. Also, really great to hear about Killian, seems like a really cool guy.

#13 Posted by kindgineer (2484 posts) -

@SuperTyson said:

The Vita comment is really intriguing, as it could turn it into a true mobile PS3 with the streaming tech. Also, really great to hear about Killian, seems like a really cool guy.

I think this idea is something a couple of my friends use to dream about years before. Imagining games of beastly computer quality streaming to my hand-held while I ride a train is just mind-blowing. I think we need to broaden our scope when it comes to looking to the future of gaming. We like to narrow it down to graphics and better online (MP) capability, but when you really look at it - there is so much potential for the industry to move in so many different directions.

All I know is, I was born in a great era to love video games, and cannot wait to see what great ideas and technology I get to age within.

#14 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

I don't know what Sony is planning here, but I've said it once and I'll say it again: Full cloud gaming is not ready for prime time. On-Live's latency is abysmal, and I don't think we can expect any reasonable improvement in the near future. Perhaps in another 5 or 10 years with improvements to the infrastucture of the internet and the further spread of high speed broadband things may be different.

#15 Posted by NoMoneyLeftBoy (12 posts) -

I'm wondering if Sony will offer a service to PS4 consumers that gives them the option of streaming games at a cheaper price than buying the retail disc version.

Such an approach would certainly produce some critical behavioural statistics for them.

#16 Posted by SuperTyson (11 posts) -

@ck1nd: Couldn't have said it better myself. I remember the first time someone told me there was going to be a Gameboy COLOR. I told him, "No way. There's no way they will ever have the tech to make this stuff in color" (I was in grade school at the time). Now, we are talking about streaming the newest hawtness straight to a handheld, assuming the connection isn't jittery/laggy, and taking that on the go. Unbelievable.

#17 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

Awesome. Although I don't subscribe to On-Live (don't have any real reason) - the idea is fantastic. With internet maturing and more and more citizens getting their hands on better ISP's, streaming will be a great service to equalize those who cannot afford a monster computer.

I refuse to support cloud gaming until they actually give you the damn game through download or something. Also I find Cloud gaming FAR worse than DRM ever has or ever will be. Just being honest about this.