Sony's Latest Patent Knows When You Laugh

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just so you guys don't think Nintendo is the only one with ridiculous nightmare inducing patent images...

From siliconera:
Laughter… as a “controller”? It sounds funny on paper, but Sony Computer Entertainment America seems serious about the concept considering they filed a patent for a laugh detecting program.

The application picks up on metadata, which includes laughter recorded by the microphone and a user’s expression from the camera. Both devices are linked to a “game console”, shown as a PlayStation 3 in the diagram, which identifies the user, notes emotions, and transfers the data over a network.

How will Sony identify emotions? The patent mentions identifying body gestures and tracking group interactions “such as when two individuals give each other a ‘High Five.’” Sony also developed smile detecting software for their Cyber Shot W120 camera which could be used too.

While the patent focuses on laughter it can identify other emotions such as sadness, excitement, anger, joy, interest, and boredom. For example, boredom may be detected if a user is “looking away from the presentation, yawning, or talking over the presentation.”

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I should add to me this sounds like a patent for things Microsoft has expressed interest in doing with Natal already... It's probably too broad to accept. Anyone could use a webcam to attempt and detect emotions based on facial expressions, I don't see how you can patent this...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Sold Snake doesn't like it when you laugh at him.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

There is a guy...in that picture...that is cranking a crank...that shoves shoes up his ass. 

That's disturbing...especially since he's in the "oh yeah, give it to me hard" stance. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
@jakob187 said:
" There is a guy...in that picture...that is cranking a crank...that shoves shoes up his ass.  That's disturbing...especially since he's in the "oh yeah, give it to me hard" stance.  "
It's a representation of Sony's sales performance this generation.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

what the hell show is that guy watching

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187
@trophyhunter said:
" what the hell show is that guy watching "
Crazy Inventors on Channel 4.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By damnboyadvance

That show just looks wrong.

As for this patent, it's all pretty damn stupid. They could at least wait until the PS4. What good would this do?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By flaminghobo

Wut?