sony's long term plan (wii hd)

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mugugipan

It may seem that Playstation 3 is loosing, and right now, they are but...

their plan is a bit different than the other console manufacturers.

You take a look at what the did with Vizio, a Sony brand tv. Most people don't actually know that. They sell Vizio at a much cheaper price than the Sony Bravia TV. Why? Is it because Bravia is that much better. The answer is no.

Its because their is a market out there (a majority portion) that does not have much money to spend on such extravaganzas.  However if they sold Sony named televisions at said low prices, the perception of the Sony brand value lessens.

Now take a look at what Sony has done. They have made the expectancy of the Playstation 3 even longer than that of the Playstation 2. They have also not had a major price cut. When I go to Walmart or Target, I always here people say, "look at those graphics, too bad its like 600 bucks," or something along those lines. Keeping the price at a high level now will make people perceive that Playstation 3 is the high end console in terms of technology, even though its highly debatable. With a price of about half of that of the PS3, Microsoft has sold about twice as much. Thats the same revenue and more profit for Sony since variable costs are so high. When Sony gets a price cut like the 360 the sales are going to off the chart.

So when are they going to have that type of price cut. Its simple, the day the Wii HD comes out. Around that time they will have also have announced an Xbox 720.

People are not going to have money for the Xbox 720.
As for the Wii HD. Nobody bought the Wii for its Wii HD capabilities in the first place and the majority of its customers are either unsatisfied or oblivious to Wii's existence. Which will leave the PS3. Champion of not this generation, but the next one.

And that my friends is their long term plan. Now you can curse me out for making you read such a long freaking post.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

I think that sort of strategy will likely hurt them more than help them.

Also when the new xbox arrives next year, superior on technology. Well.......

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
Rowr said:
"I think that sort of strategy will likely hurt them more than help them.

Also when the new xbox arrives next year, superior on technology. Well......."
Do you really think you'll be playing a new XBOX next year?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By crunchUK
get2sammyb said:
"Rowr said:

Do you really think you'll be playing a new XBOX next year?"
i think he means when it gets announced next year

also i just think sony was banking on their name on it to sell and popularize their blu ray
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crunchUK
get2sammyb said:
"Rowr said:

Do you really think you'll be playing a new XBOX next year?"
i think he means when it gets announced next year

also i just think sony was banking on their name on it to sell and popularize their blu ray
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

Hmm... perhaps they will announce it next year. Personally I think it won't get announced until 2010 but we shall see. Interesting indeed.

As for addressing the actual original post -- what you're saying is, you think that Sony will skip a whole generation, sticking with the PS3 throughout the lifetime of the XBOX 720?

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree. Sony need to market more aggressively next year. Microsoft and Nintendo's marketing has been absolutely spot on in the past two years and Sony's has been non-existent (like Crunch says, it was banking on the name). While I think the name is a big selling point - they need to either a) drop the price or; b) explain to the consumer why the PS3 is value for money.

Essentially that's why they're in third place but I think they're doing ok. I don't understand why they don't do smaller price cuts over the year as opposed to just one big one. Surely a small price cut for every 3 months of '09 would give them a small sales spike for each quarter and by the Q4 cut would put them in good stead to compete. I'm talking like $30 a time or something.

I don't know. I don't really care anymore actually. So long as I continue to keep getting the games I want.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

its what you said basically

all the 360s great games like gears and halo all sell in the millions on their first day but stuff like littlebigplanet on ps3 has trouble even breaking a million

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

That... Doesn't make any sense... People bought so many 360 exclusives they will want retro-compatibility. People don't give a shit about TV's, what is wrong with you?! As long as it is HD and you have an HDMI cable you're cool. The Wii will be rule again if it is the cheaper and whether the PS4 or the Xbox83289472479302 will win, it depends. You never know! It will be random! Usually the one that is released first wins, like this generation and the generation before.

I'm sorry but you have a crappy thesis and you're trying to justify early fanboyism for the next-gen.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Vizio is most definitely not a Sony brand. Some of their TV's are manufactured by Sony, they license the manufacture of their TV's to other companies, including Sony, LG, Samsung etc. They aren't owned by Sony, or any other company, they are their own entity.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

The problem was that Sony focused too much on Blu-Ray and they didn't put any effort into securing exclusives. They tried to play this "Nice corporation" role by not buying up any games and it just ended up hurting them. It also didn't help that a lot of developers and publishers started bailing out on exclusives or multiplats.

I think you can also blame their marketing, which has been pretty much nothing but shit. They have to stop pretending to be artistic and start acting like a real business with marketing.

And now that they're trying so hard to market new games, they also need to keep pushing Blu-Ray, which seems to have gone nowhere.

Oh, and a price cut. Stop bringing out new models with bigger HDDs, no backwards compatibility, and no price cut.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Karmum
Rowr said:

I guess I should throw my 360 out the window soon, I didn't know the new Xbox is coming out next year!