Sony's new marketing direction.

Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vacancy009

They have recently put out commercials based on having it connected to the internet to watch movies, and grandma watching blu-rays not letting the grandson play games.  I'm just curious to see how many gamers feel about this direction.  Sony has a solid system with (even if it isn't utilized) superior hardware, yet they are advertising the system to those that could care less about games.  Maybe they are trying to get into the parents heads for Christmas that this isn't just a $300 toy,  I just find it hard to believe that in a business that looks so hard at attach rates they would be selling the system as a product you don't need to purchase games or hardware for.  I guess they will just make up the market share wherever they can. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Evilsbane

When I worked at Best Buy that was how we sold PS3's because of the serious  lack of games at the time, they were the best and cheapest Blu-ray players and they still are one the best Blu-ray players you can buy.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

Well, I saw the " grandma played with a stick" ad last night for the first time and I think that the marketing agency that came up with the current campaign deserves a bonus.  I say so thinking that the previous two ad campaigns were alienating and pretentious.  One of the strengths of the PS1 was that is was a DVD player, too.  Many folks bought a PS1 with this in mind then.  I don't think it's wrong to make certain non-gamers understand that there is more to the system than just playing games.  Both Microsoft and Sony are seeking to become the living room hub device for your family's entertainment needs.  That's why Microsoft has Twitter, Facebook and Last.fm now in addition to the video marketplace.  That's why Netflix is available on both systems now (Wii is inevitable).  In this tight economy, it's important for the console makers to point out that their systems can be enjoyed by everyone in the household, not just the ones that play video games. 

EDIT: As EVO points out below, I meant PS2 had a DVD player.  I thank him for correcting my error.  Once again I was too lazy to check my facts and relied on my questionable memory. Ah, the joys of getting older...now where'd I put my ointment?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Out_On_Bail

For the most part, people who play games are already aware of what the PS3 can do. In that aspect it will sell itself. By advertising the way they do, they are only broadening their prospective customer base which isn't a bad idea.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By EVO
@PenguinDust: I think you mean PS2, but you're correct. PlayStation has always been more than just games, and Sony has marketed it accordingly.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The adverts over here in the UK have been marketing the machine as much more than a games console as well. Sony seem only too keen to promote the image of the PS3 being the ultimate home entertainment system. Their marketing really seems to have picked up.

Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Vacancy009
@PenguinDust said:
" Well, I saw the " grandma played with a stick" ad last night for the first time and I think that the marketing agency that came up with the current campaign deserves a bonus.  I say so thinking that the previous two ad campaigns were alienating and pretentious.  One of the strengths of the PS1 was that is was a DVD player, too.  Many folks bought a PS1 with this in mind then.  I don't think it's wrong to make certain non-gamers understand that there is more to the system than just playing games.  Both Microsoft and Sony are seeking to become the living room hub device for your family's entertainment needs.  That's why Microsoft has Twitter, Facebook and Last.fm now in addition to the video marketplace.  That's why Netflix is available on both systems now (Wii is inevitable).  In this tight economy, it's important for the console makers to point out that their systems can be enjoyed by everyone in the household, not just the ones that play video games.  "
Good point,  Just from a gaming perspective though,  if this goes into the living room where you are sharing 1 TV among 3-4 people in a household,  yes the PS3 can watch BR or streaming movies but that means that the primary function of the console is pushed into the background.  When I was younger there was no way the Nintendo was getting hooked up to the main TV because I played to much and others wanted to use the TV.   So being that it is one device you have many people fighting over what you use it for and when. Seems like that could be a drawback in some households.  Luckily I'm in my 30's now with my own house that has 2 rooms dedicated to movie watching and gaming so I am never without, but not everybody can have that.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adamantium

Meh. Sony's doing what they have to do I guess. The gamers proved they didn't care enough to pay the extra $$ for a PS3, so Sony is catering to anyone who will now. All's fair...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
 good for the Superfriends and Asteroids
 good for the Superfriends and Asteroids
@Vacancy009:   You know what's kind of funny?  When I was still a kid my 2600 spent most of it's life hooked up to my 13 inch Sony Trinitron in my bedroom, but sometimes I was allowed to bring it out into the living room and attach it to the big TV.   Well, after the children all went to bed, I could here my grandfather playing Space Invaders late into the night.  This from the man who thought that the cost of the system was too high for a "toy" and wanted to return it.  So, sometimes the fact that it is accessible to other non-gamers in the house doesn't mean that they, too won't use it to play video games.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

Sony's new marketing is better in EVERY way from what they were doing before...