Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
"Loose lips sink PlayStations, damnit!"
This year's E3 was the leakiest one I can remember since the show started back in 1995, with darn near every product announcement, new technology, and business move being rumored--and in a startling number of cases, confirmed--days or weeks before the conference started. Sony president Jack Tretton comically but rightfully admitted at the company's press conference that PlayStation was leading the industry even in blown announcements.

CNBC (yeah, those guys) tracked Tretton down after the show to talk specifically about the nature of secrecy in the video game industry, about which he had some harsh words.

People don’t respect confidentiality in this industry. It’s tough enough to keep a secret within your own company, much less when you speak to third parties... This is an industry that has trouble focusing on today. We want to constantly talk about tomorrow. You have to prepare for people to know things in advance. The frustrating thing is they only know a part of the story and that opens up a lot of conjecture and misinformation that ultimately waters down the reality when you roll it out.

He also comments on the biggest piece of PS3-releated news that didn't happen--the expected price cut--and some of the market realities surrounding the new PSP Go. The story is a good read if you're looking for some insight into the way Sony is doing business these days.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
"Loose lips sink PlayStations, damnit!"
This year's E3 was the leakiest one I can remember since the show started back in 1995, with darn near every product announcement, new technology, and business move being rumored--and in a startling number of cases, confirmed--days or weeks before the conference started. Sony president Jack Tretton comically but rightfully admitted at the company's press conference that PlayStation was leading the industry even in blown announcements.

CNBC (yeah, those guys) tracked Tretton down after the show to talk specifically about the nature of secrecy in the video game industry, about which he had some harsh words.

People don’t respect confidentiality in this industry. It’s tough enough to keep a secret within your own company, much less when you speak to third parties... This is an industry that has trouble focusing on today. We want to constantly talk about tomorrow. You have to prepare for people to know things in advance. The frustrating thing is they only know a part of the story and that opens up a lot of conjecture and misinformation that ultimately waters down the reality when you roll it out.

He also comments on the biggest piece of PS3-releated news that didn't happen--the expected price cut--and some of the market realities surrounding the new PSP Go. The story is a good read if you're looking for some insight into the way Sony is doing business these days.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eclipsesis

First yes the second time i have ever got it. I think that everything didn't get leaked that the Sony confrence would have been much better than it was (and it was already great) 

redeye1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By redeye1984

What? No steaks?

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Crono

Yes this industry is obsessed with leaks.  Not even a company named partially for plumbing could prevent one: Valve.

Avatar image for pocketfullabuttholes
PocketfullaButtholes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Haha, oh Sony...

Bunch of wild and crazy guys!!

You lika tha juice?

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By phlegms

Pffft!
I say he leaked it himself!
The conspiracy continues...

wizeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wizeguy

things get leaked on purpose i think, just to build hype.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By MeatSim

Damn look at those security guards there is no way your getting near that guy unless your somebody important.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By c_rakestraw

Yeah, leaks are pretty rampant in this industry. I have to wonder how that came to be though. I'm pretty sure there was a time when leaks were uncommon in this industry. But I believe that was before this console generation began, which is when we starting seeing a huge amount leaks.

Which leads me to wonder what changed. I mean, if leaks could be prevented before, why can't they now? Surely there must be a way to prevent that from happening.

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By creamclouds

He need to have a word with Reggie. And get Mario to Fix the Leaks in those Pipes!

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon

I think that the internet has really caused this complete breakdown of confidentiality and "surprise," especially with things like Twitter becoming more common. Most professionals might be able to keep themselves from posting "leaks" out there, especially if there's an understanding that it won't get out. But if some random office intern overhears something and knows he can hide behind the anonymity of forums and Twitter to get the news out there before it should be. Its similar (though granted on a much less vital scale) to those internal pirates that leak PC games early. I'm sure that the majority of people "in the industry" understand the importance of secrets and keeping things under wraps, but one bad apple is all it takes now.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oraknabo

“I can’t remember a day that people who have no stake in the profitability of our company have not called for a price cut,” he says. “I think everybody but us would love to see it given away for free.”

There's a huge difference between a price cut and a giveaway, especially in a recession. Developers just want you to stop limiting the potential audience for the games they make on your system. You can have that "I't's none of their damn business" attitude, but how would you feel if all those partners telling you to dropped the price decided it wasn't worth it to make games for your console anymore?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb

They can't really blame anyone on the Qore leaks though can they?

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McQuinn

Sony press conference was pretty sweet, but it could have packed a much bigger punch it everything was new news.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#15  Edited By Lazyaza

Yeah I would have liked this years E3 a heck of alot more if less stuff had been leaked.  Surprises are much nicer when they're like, actual surprises.   Its kind of impossible to avoid the leaks too considering every website in existence feels its their duty to report these things, even GiantBomb is guilty in that department.  Ah well tis the nature of the industry, probably isn't ever going to change so no sense complaining.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FlipperDesert

We've been hearing about this thing since the beginning of the year. It was clearly coming, we just had to wait until E3 to see what it was exactly they were doing.

Frankly, I think the leak was a good thing. I first read about it and thought "Well, no PSP for me then." But after the Sony conference? Carrying around a bunch of games on a HDD instead of physical form is an awesome idea.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond

Probably one of the leading sectors of all information technology.  We're in the information age and the gaming industry has some of the most brilliant and knowledgeable individuals.  None of the information poses security leaks, so while the military might have cooler tech, it won't get anyone killed if you say "PSP Go is coming".

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

Unfortunately, leaked info spoils all the fun. I don't see it getting any better, considering more people are going to be using social networking services next year and this trend will continue. Shame.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By choffy21
Jack Tretton said:
"We'll do everything we can to make our pricing relevant. But remember, cheapest isn't always the most successful. It's what you get for your dollar."
Hmm... Ask Microsoft how the Xbox 360 Arcade is doing for them. Oh, and ask how the Wii did for Nintendo when it was $250
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax

New Dateline NBC show: "To Catch An Info Leaker"

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Here's the problem with this--- Almost all of it was told by Qore.  The only thing we got before was a correct image of a PSP GO alongside a PS3 Slim.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By radion_null

Tretton has good points and the press has good points. The funny thing is that neither want to accept their share. Sony can be leaky as hell but it's the press ultimately that can choose to spoil stuff. Then again, Sony should know better and closely monitor the flow of info from within. What bothers me is listening to memebrs of the press complain about  the leaks whenbeing involved with reporting the leaks in the first place. Yes, the article is about Sony today but this has happened with MS and Nintendo. It just so happens that Sony was the leakiest of them all.

On a random note, saw the MS interview and the Ninti interview from E3, when's the Sony one going up? Is there a Sony one?

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By Aaron_G

It is pretty sad that Sony can't trust its own employees with secrets. 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

Leaks neat to be fixed