#1 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

A few months back I did a post abot me wishing Kinect to fail.. while it was a little hard and trollish ( I like to call it provocateur ) I got countless shit for being "closed minded", "ignorant" and what not
link to original post : http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/so-i-hope-kinect-fails-and-hard/464260/

this is not an I told you.. or anything I have a kinect myself and it works ok.. bad thing other than embarrasing myself infront of my girlfriend like for 10 minutes in the Killer App: Dance Central, the thing has been collecting dust for a couple of months now.

Going back to my "I hopes kinect fails and hard"  topic, there were a lot of "kinect is the future" you "so dumb you don´t realise we are will be playing motion controls in the future" kind of coments, and yea you know how future is: we gona get cyber implants in your closest 7 eleven by 2020. 

Anyway for you overly positive open minded informed people, do you still believe kinect holds the future? if not for gaming, at least for the xbox? do you think MS is investing to much into a dead end gimicky device? should some of those 500 milliions into kinect marketing be using into developing new MS exclusives an actuall games?

It´s to soon to come out with a full judgment about the kinect, but I would like to hear how´s people feeling about it nowadays.

fak.. can´t find a way to edit the main title typo hehe

#2 Posted by Nasar7 (2665 posts) -

The only people I know who have Kinect are these two (non-gaming) girls who use it solely for Kinect Adventures (the tie-in game). So I still don't see much reason to own one personally but (I guess ?) it's doing its job of bringing in new gamers for Microsoft.

#3 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

I like to beat my wife in front of the kinect. Does that count?

#4 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -
@Rohok said:
" I like to beat my wife in front of the kinect. Does that count? "
Is facial recognition set for the "before" or "After" face ?
#5 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

i love coincidences. Like your blue tinted username and the content of this and your other topic... coincidences are fun.

Oh and on topic, i couldnt give a rats ass about kinect, move or any sort of motion gaming

#6 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Speaking of failing, WHO is spelt W-H-O.

Anyway, I betcha most people who bought a Kinect to play some party games when their friends come over are still having fun with their Kinect's.  I know my friends and I have gotten down to some mean drinkign and dancing in front of that device since it came out.  People without friends probably aren't having much fun with it, but you probably aren't a very fun person to begin with if you don't have any friends. 

I don't spend a lot of my solo gaming time with Kinect, but the same thing could be said for a lot of games.  I don't think that Wii Sports or You Don't Know Jack are failures just because I don't play them when my friends aren't around.  So yeah, I guess your theory was wrong.

#7 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

I don't use mine every day, but when we have people over it's still a decent party device. Plus, the tech still holds its cool factor for me and I'm looking forward to what happens when they release the official SDK. 

#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

I mostly dont use it but people love Dance Central at parties.

#9 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5424 posts) -

To answer the thread title's question, I still do. It is annoying moving my 360 back and forth between rooms as a Kinect doesn't work well with my projector setup, but I have beaten Kinect Adventures and am getting the rest of the achievements in that. I am using Your Shape to get back into shape after my heart condition stopped me from exercising for several years. I'm about to move and won't be able to use it for over a month, but hopefully I can set it up soon in my new house.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24708 posts) -

I'm more curious to know from those that own it if space has been an issue.  Even if I owned a 360, I'd be hesitant to buy a Kinect simply because my living space is not really set up to allow for gyrating in front of a camera mounted on my TV.

#11 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -

The problem isn't that it doesn't work (well not good enough for me), the problem I have with Kinect is that they waste all that money on an audience that buys maybe 1 game/year. It's a money sink for them, I doubt they can ever make that 500 million marketing budget back. They should've just released a new console in 2012.

#12 Posted by Andheez (583 posts) -
@phish09 said:
"

Speaking of failing, WHO is spelt W-H-O.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.........ahhh thats good stuff
#13 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@Rhaknar: ye i like sony more.. no denial, but i mostly play everything I can, even ipad games.

@phish09: I go outside Im not 15 years old you know.. once you hit 21 ther´s pretty low reasons to stay home and nerd out with your budys in a COD pijama party, dunno about you.  
#14 Posted by Terjay (813 posts) -

Kinect is great for parties. I don't play any single player stuff on it.

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" my living space is not really set up to allow for gyrating in front of a camera mounted on my TV. "

I know a brothel just down the street that may be able to accommodate you ... just sayin'.
#16 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Other then the occasional party at your place which Might include someone wanting to play the kinect. What other reason to use it is there? Wii Fit is better if you want to actually work out to a game which if that is your only source of exercise i'm sorry for you.

#17 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

I ebay'd mine a while ago and got my money back.  I'm not going to rant about it, but I will say I really hope "controller free" gaming is not what MIcrosoft focuses on for their next console.

#18 Posted by Moth_Pope (454 posts) -

I don't have a Kinect - though would like to get one in the future as they look fun. Maybe when there's a pricedrop I'll splash out... But I just don't really get why you want it to "fail hard." If it worked out and it's still something you didn't care about, how would that affect you? I think the technology behind it is crazy and I'm glad to see it getting used by millions of people. Hopefully it'll lead to something really good some time.

I understand the argument of wanting a motion control-free future (I'm sort of in that boat... hence why I don't own a Kinect) but I still don't loathe the fact that it's around.

#19 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
@Twisted_Scot said:
" @Rohok said:
Is facial recognition set for the "before" or "After" face ? "
I would guess "after" so that the Kinect tells him when he's done...
#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

You don't need a Kinect to embarrass yourself guy, you do a good enough job of that just trying to make a comprehensible forum post.

#21 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Play it with people.
Dance Central,YooStar 2 and Kinect Sports all work great with well...........everybody, really.
I'm still waiting for the Panzer Dragoon game and the Steel Battalion game.
Right MS?RIGHT?

#22 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@Moth_Pope said:

" I don't have a Kinect - though would like to get one in the future as they look fun. Maybe when there's a pricedrop I'll splash out... But I just don't really get why you want it to "fail hard." If it worked out and it's still something you didn't care about, how would that affect you? I think the technology behind it is crazy and I'm glad to see it getting used by millions of people. Hopefully it'll lead to something really good some time.I understand the argument of wanting a motion control-free future (I'm sort of in that boat... hence why I don't own a Kinect) but I still don't loathe the fact that it's around. "

Yea, you kinda right.. It was a little big of trolling I don´t really hate the thing and people can have fun with whatever they want Im not to judge.  My disconfort was mostly with the marketing campaign and the whole hype selling the thing as a technicall marvel that was about to revolutionize video games, while in fact it´s just another consumer product mostly uninformed easily brainwashed people buy for the sake of novelty.

And im not sure how good is that for the industry in the long term. 
#23 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@DonPixel said:
"  

Sooo.. How´s actually having fun with their Kinects nowadays?

"
Well.... having fun is.... fun
#24 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@DonPixel:   LOL.  Once you grow up and make some real friends you'll realize that a quiet night around the house drinking and playing some games is definitely preferable to going out to the bar every weekend and dropping a few bills on a whitebag or women...which really adds up.  BTW...I said I play Kinect games with my friends and party games...you know things that Women will enjoy as well.  Oh, sorry, I'm sure when you get out of that awkward adolescent phase you'll start being interested in women too.  It's funny, when I was 21 I thought I was all grown up too and I knew everything the way that you do.  .You'll look back and realize how much of a kid you still are at this age, and once you get to be about 30 you'll realize that you never stop growing and learning. 
#25 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

My girlfriend and I still have lots of fun with our Kinect, especially when we have a bunch of people over. Can't wait for Child of Eden and Gunstringer.

#26 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

The Kinect is technologically impressive, but only when it is hooked up to anything other than a 360.

I am not a Microsoft fan in the slightest, but I do like the Kinect. Just not for gaming. 
#27 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -
@MaFoLu said:
" @Twisted_Scot said:
" @Rohok said:
Is facial recognition set for the "before" or "After" face ? "
I would guess "after" so that the Kinect tells him when he's done... "
Makes Sense. As it sit in front of his TV silently watching, giving a little nod when its enough. Damn the Kinect is one sick puppy.
#28 Posted by Magma_Pear (59 posts) -

Hi folks, first post here.

All I can tell you about my Kinect is that it has changed one thing and one thing only - but it is a major change.

Normally when we have people over, friends and family, I tend to get bored. I drink a lot in those situations, usually to tolerate people more.

But now, people come over and play Kinect - and it's fun. Not because the games are master pieces, but because everyone can play and it doesn't matter if you can't play well. Dance Central gets a lot of play, as does Kinect Sports for the Boxing, Table Tennis and Bowling. A few minigames also get a lot of play like Paddle Panic and King of the Ring.

But out side of those situations, which is only a few times a month, I rarely play my Kinect. That said I think it's an awesome technology and I RSS feed the KinectHacks.Net website. Like most hardcore gamers I'm waiting for the hardcore games.

Whenever else I'm gaming I'm usually switching between console and PC playing shooters, RPG's and RTS games. But to answer the original post - yes, I still have fun with my Kinect these days.

#29 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
#30 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@phish09: you know, I don´t really understand were are this personal attacks coming from, I don´t know anything about your life nor I pretend to assume I do, perhaps it was a mistake to make that suggestion to your first troll attemp, but anyways.. you know nothing about me what I do in my free time or the people I hang out.

If you don´t agree with my thougs about the kinect, its perfectly fine as this is an open video game discussion comunity an discussion shall be made.. but if you have not (as you have already probe) the mental stature to discuss other than my typos or your assumptions on my personal life GTFO.
#31 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" I'm more curious to know from those that own it if space has been an issue.  Even if I owned a 360, I'd be hesitant to buy a Kinect simply because my living space is not really set up to allow for gyrating in front of a camera mounted on my TV. "
You had me at "gyrating".
#32 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@DonPixel:   I know you spend at least a portion of your time on the internet telling people how you wish a video game peripheral will fail.  I think that tells me far more about your personality than anything you say directly to me possibly could.  I'll leave it at that.  I should have never taken the time to respond to your flamebait thread, but kudos, you got me.
#33 Posted by needforswede (492 posts) -

I don't own a kinect, so here's my worthless opinion: it's totally lame.  The idea of getting rid of the controller is totally idiotic...I mean that's their whole thing right?  "WOW I DON'T HAVE TO PRESS BUTTONS!"  I think even the non-gamers and casual gamers are okay with pressing buttons, it's not an abstract concept.  They type with keyboards don't they?  I assume they have remote control devices.  Okay.

Kinect is dumb, I hope it fails too...if the whole world were getting a lot of joy from this peripheral, I'd say otherwise.  Actually...it's not that I hope it fails...I just really believe that it will (or has?).

Wow you almost drove me to hostility...I don't know if posting things like this in forums is the best idea either though.  Even the most innocuous posts leave idiots calling you a nazi and stuff.  Anyone who is a fan of kinect will likely take this as an attack on them (I know, that's their problem) and likely won't be mature about it.  People are protective of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo which I don't understand because none of those companies give a fuck about any of us...they're all fucking evil, but necessary.

#34 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@needforswede said:

Wow you almost drove me to hostility...I don't know if posting things like this in forums is the best idea either though.  Even the most innocuous posts leave idiots calling you a nazi and stuff.  Anyone who is a fan of kinect will likely take this as an attack on them (I know, that's their problem) and likely won't be mature about it.  People are protective of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo which I don't understand because none of those companies give a fuck about any of us...they're all fucking evil, but necessary. "

Well it´s not my intention, this is supose to be a comunity for open discussion, Im not calling names or doing personal attacks..  We are surrounded with this devices, we work and pay money for them I see no wrong in discussing what we think about them, how they affect us, society and the industry we love and how this corporations are handling the future of our hobby.   

Im not a coporate cheerleder not even for Sony which is the one I like the most, neither a irrational hater.. yet for me the kinect always came almos as a scam for the consumer somenthing it was rush and develop to catch up with the Wii frenzy and we all know Wii ain´t that hot nowadays anyway.

As someone who deeply enjoyed my xbox 360 early this generation It´s kinda frustrating to see that Kinect, raising the xbox live subscription (yet again) and some moneysinking avatar items seems to be the only thing MS care about nowadays. 

#35 Posted by Moth_Pope (454 posts) -
@DonPixel said:
" @Moth_Pope said:

" I don't have a Kinect - though would like to get one in the future as they look fun. Maybe when there's a pricedrop I'll splash out... But I just don't really get why you want it to "fail hard." If it worked out and it's still something you didn't care about, how would that affect you? I think the technology behind it is crazy and I'm glad to see it getting used by millions of people. Hopefully it'll lead to something really good some time.I understand the argument of wanting a motion control-free future (I'm sort of in that boat... hence why I don't own a Kinect) but I still don't loathe the fact that it's around. "

Yea, you kinda right.. It was a little big of trolling I don´t really hate the thing and people can have fun with whatever they want Im not to judge.  My disconfort was mostly with the marketing campaign and the whole hype selling the thing as a technicall marvel that was about to revolutionize video games, while in fact it´s just another consumer product mostly uninformed easily brainwashed people buy for the sake of novelty.

And im not sure how good is that for the industry in the long term. 
"
I agree, the marketing irritated me as well and it did seem like they were playing up to a new crowd and ignoring actual gamers. Also, like you said, it hasn't revolutionized video gaming like they said it would (but then I don't suppose they'd come out saying, "Hey, it's kind of OK, I guess... it'll work most of the time.") but it seems like a big step forward in an area that could be great for tech in the future.

Having said that, I don't want to lose the use of controllers. If I had to choose between the two, the control pad would win every time. Luckily we don't have to choose and I doubt we ever will.
#36 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -
@Terjay said:
"Kinect is great for parties. I don't play any single player stuff on it. "

Pretty much this.

#37 Posted by xyzygy (9981 posts) -

Since the Kinect was a hit developers are still in the progress of actually looking into games for it. It was only 3-4 months ago when it hit like, above 5 million. That's not enough time to make a game. New launches of hardware are expected to not have much for a bit. Anything that comes out this early since it hit huge is just shovelware.

#38 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

I don't understand why anyone would want the Kinect to fail, or the Wii for that matter. It is not like there has been a lack of traditional games this generation. These products only expand the market to different audiences. It doesn't take away from the already established ones.

As for the Kinect, I don't understand why it has to be the future as opposed to a part of it. If developers can find smart ways to integrate it into current games it could add a lot to the experience.

#39 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

In its current status, it accomplishes nothing for me that my Wii can't do. More games (and better) ones will come out for it later in it's life, but I'm not going to rearrange my living room and drop $200 right now. Come back to me in a year and then we'll talk.