#1 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

I want to talk about video games sound design and how it evolved throughout the years and just how much it can add or take from a video game. Just write your own take on this and list some of your favorite, and or, your least favorite sound design in video games.

#2 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES will always hold some of my favorite tracks in any video game. They were just really cool and original I thought at the time, and was probably one of the first soundtracks I felt like I could actually listen to outside of the game.

Here's one of my personal favorite tracks from that game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M
as well as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akIgv3_U0Sk

And I know sound design is not just soundtracks, sorry to focus my post entirely on that. Perhaps I'll update it more when I feel like going more in-depth.

EDIT - The Final Fantasy VI Opera scene on SNES was also a really touching scene due to the sound design.

#3 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

I think horror games would be weak without good sound design. Even games that just have horror elements. Imagine Bioshock with a bad sound design.

#4 Posted by StarFoxA (5150 posts) -

I love it when a game an convey not only the specific scenario, but even escalate on emotions throughout the game. Off the top of my head, there are only a few games that I can think of that, in my opinion, have done that. Naturally, there's Chrono Trigger, which had some of the most excellent video game music I've ever heard (Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mitsuda are musical geniuses). Each character's theme accurately depicted their personalities and traits, some of which even brought a smile to my face. Another game that did this was Mother 3, not only one of the most emotionally touching games I've ever played, but also one of the most creative (and funny) games. The Mother 3 Love Theme and New Pork City are two of my favorite game themes.