#1 Edited by DrSwank (442 posts) -

A short story about a turret who remembers traumatic past events

A filmmakers 2nd attempt with Source Filmmaker. I really wanted to explore the possibility of deep emotional connections with otherwise lifeless things, and to evoke an emotional and/or psychological response as a result... I'm not sure I succeeded!? And also to get better with virtual lighting and camera work and animations.

It was originally intended for Turret Week, but quickly became Turret Month for me! I spent almost as much time exporting, converting, importing, exporting, transcoding, etc... and still learning... the rabbit hole continues. I hope it was worth it!

HD Link:

#2 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

This is awesome! How did you get the idea of a traumatized turret?

The subtle camera shake during the close zooms is a really nice touch. How many short films did you make?

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

That was pretty cool. I was expecting a bit more from the end but I still liked it.

Also, you should consider adding more text to your original post so that this thread doesn't get locked for youtube spam.

#4 Posted by DrSwank (442 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

That was pretty cool. I was expecting a bit more from the end but I still liked it.

Also, you should consider adding more text to your original post so that this thread doesn't get locked for youtube spam.

Gotcha. I added some more info the the OP. Glad you liked it!

I realize the demographic for dark and serious source filmmaker Portal 2 inspired short films is probably pretty small! lol

#5 Posted by Tofford (532 posts) -

Very impressed. I keep thinking about trying stuff out with the source film-maker. Is it easy to use for someone who has never really animated before?

#6 Posted by DrSwank (442 posts) -

@Tofford said:

Very impressed. I keep thinking about trying stuff out with the source film-maker. Is it easy to use for someone who has never really animated before?

Well... define easy? It really depends on your passion and drive to get better and learn the software. Let's just say that over the last 2 weeks, Steam is telling me that I've spent 117 hours in the program, 40 of that is probably rendering though. Just depends on how bad you want it. They say if you put in 1000 hours doing anything, you'll have mastered it.

#7 Posted by DrSwank (442 posts) -

@Pink_o_mat said:

This is awesome! How did you get the idea of a traumatized turret?

The subtle camera shake during the close zooms is a really nice touch. How many short films did you make?

It kind of just happened. I started with the idea of a turret being activated for the first time...

I'm glad you liked the camera movement! I'm a cinematographer in real life, and that's my expertise. I've only made two SFM short films so far, but have been in film production for many years now.

#8 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

Congratulations man that was really good. I wish it could have been fleshed out more though, but that's only good news for you.

#9 Posted by Christoffer (1823 posts) -

That was really good, and a bit disturbing.

#10 Posted by DrSwank (442 posts) -

@Jams said:

Congratulations man that was really good. I wish it could have been fleshed out more though, but that's only good news for you.

Thank you!

#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Man, I really need to dive into SFM... Awesome work duder!