bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bcooper56

UPDATE
"We were contacted regarding this story by one Rockstar source, who told us: "It will take 5 million sales at full price to recoup the development costs of Red Dead. The good news is they [Rockstar] are not expecting to make money with Red Dead Redemption. At this point, that project is just supposed to prove that the San Diego studio can make a great quality AAA title." If you'd like to contact us regarding this or other stories surrounding the "Rockstar spouse" letter, we'd love to hear from you."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/12/sources-red-dead-redemption-development-in-trouble/

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Chyro

Wow 5 million?   Going to be tough to do.

I was really looking forward to this one as I like Western games.  And there really hasn't been a good one since GUN.  Hope this just bullshit.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By canucks23

I really hope none of this hurts the quality of the game, cuz from what i've seen it looks incredible. But then again they shouldn't be slave driving their employee's to get it done.

bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bcooper56
@Chyro said:
" Wow 5 million?   Going to be tough to do. I was really looking forward to this one as I like Western games.  And there really hasn't been a good one since GUN.  Hope this just bullshit. "
Ya and game is has huge budget i think it's spent more than gta 4 did to make.  Ill buy it day one after seeing this i want game to sell.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I have every intention to buy it. It's my most highly anticipated game of 2010. Heh, actually, I'm planning on buying 2 copies. I bought 3 copies of GTAIV.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vidiot

Fascinating read. The people that managed this game should be fired.
So technically the game is not going to profitable. Unless it hit's 5 million but that's a bit...difficult...to say the least. Especially for a new audience. (I predict that a majority of people picking this up, probably didn't pick up Red Dead Revolver. The two games seem to have barely anything in common aside from setting.)

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Djeffers03

tbh this sounds like bullshit. they cant of spent hundreds of millions making a game, otherwise it would be into avatar costs.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

I personally don't see the appeal of the game myself. Too each their own I suppose.

But one thing worries me whenever a developer starts making the "we don't expect it to sell very well, or recoup development costs" remarks I worry for the overall quality of the end product. It's like hearing a sports team pre-match stating they don't expect to win.

Makes you wonder why they are bothering then if they aren't expecting good things to come from it. If you want folks to have an interest and consider buying the product, bloody well support it and not make negative comments like that about it.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I struggle to believe that any sensible businessperson would allow development costs for a fairly left-field game like this to get so high.

bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bcooper56
@Djeffers03 said:
" tbh this sounds like bullshit. they cant of spent hundreds of millions making a game, otherwise it would be into avatar costs. "
It easily could be as far as i know watch gameplay trailer game is deep and is what gta 4 should have been.

Also games been being made for 3 or 4 years.
Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Alphazero

It could still be an excellent game, just not 5,000,000 units at full retail excellent. Those numbers are hard to pull.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield

I suppose my life long dream of a fully rounded, completely decent Wild West game is yet again on shaky ground.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emkeighcameron
@Oriental_Jams said:
" I struggle to believe that any sensible businessperson would allow development costs for a fairly left-field game like this to get so high. "
This is what I was thinking, too. The Western genre isn't exactly a huge part of standard gaming fare, and while I whole-heartedly hope this game does well, I don't understand how any executives would let such a costly, risky project go on like this.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Djeffers03
@bcooper56: yeah I realize that the employees wages take up a lot of money but, and correct me if im wrong, the game is running on the same engine as gta IV and takes a fair few things from that game. they didn't have to re-invent the wheel to make this game, in fact when you look at it this game probably is just going to be gta in the wild west (not that this is a bad thing).
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rowr

What did they spend all that money on? Horse physics?

No wonder they are riding the employees so hard.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
@Alphazero said:
" It could still be an excellent game, just not 5,000,000 units at full retail excellent. Those numbers are hard to pull. "
Sales don't = quality. But regardless. I indeed doubt it will sell that much.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rayfield

"Anyone from the New York office is feared, because people in the San Diego office know that they are unstable and needy ... in other words, if a comment comes from a person from New York, it's a mandate that needs to be immediately addressed regardless of previous priorities."     

"I can support what those accounts are saying, where you're working long hours with last minute demands and no direction."     

"There's a lot of times when you're called in for the weekends and you don't even know why you're there," said the source. "It's kinda like face time, just so [the top of Rockstar] sees you there. Whether or not you have anything to do there that day, they see you there."      

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/01/12/former-rockstar-games-nyc-staffer-confirms-rockstar-san-diego-statements/    
bcooper56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bcooper56
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slippy

The more I read about the game, the less i'm interested. I couldn't give a fuck about the developers working conditions or how they have toiled for X number of years. I am annoyed that the game, at its barest bones, is in fact just GTA in the Wild West. As a huge fan of Red Dead Revolver, this is blasphemy - the cinematic, open world direction that Rockstar are taking its franchises in is boring. GTA4 was one of the most disappointing games ever made because they decided to tell a story rather than being fun. From reading one of the Houser brothers interviews on IGN, this is facing the same fate.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax

5 million sales? I can't see that happening.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lowbrow

But... that means that its development isn't in trouble...