#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3272 posts) -

Guys, I love space games for some reason. Maybe its just the idea that Space travel will probably not become possible in my lifetime.

I really like this "game" called Space Engine. It simulates the entire universe down to planets. I find myself wandering the stars looking at interesting places, going to other planets watching the sun set on mars(or any planet for that matter.)

It just sucks because I'm just too lazy or not hard core enough to enjoy a game like Evochron Mercenary. I tried but the way it handles gameplay just doesn't suit me. I kind of just want to be able to build a space ship in minecraft and launch myself to another mineplanet. That would be cool.

What space games do you guys like?

#2 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

I miss games like x-wing alliance. It had a pretty heavy duty community dedicated to improving the quality of the ship models and textures. I don't know what it is about space Sims lately, but I just can't pilot them as well as I used to. Something about the extra axis, I never feel in control with my flight stick.

#3 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1096 posts) -
#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I like space, space rocks, the word space amplifies the awesomesauce of any sentence it gets thrown in. 

However, not only have I not played nearly as many space games as I would like to, but Mass Effect really ruined my impression of space games. Don't get me wrong, ME is great and ME2 IS FUCKING FABULOUS, but those are movies in the form of games.  
I respect games when they pioneer in gameplay, and my impression of space games now is mostly that they're about the big open space universe and lore without the actual PLAYING joy.

#5 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (680 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

I miss games like x-wing alliance. It had a pretty heavy duty community dedicated to improving the quality of the ship models and textures. I don't know what it is about space Sims lately, but I just can't pilot them as well as I used to. Something about the extra axis, I never feel in control with my flight stick.

Is there anyway to fully experience the x-wing and tie fighter games on modern systems? Especially on Windows 7?

#6 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

Don't know if you necessarily mean games like this, but Universe Sandbox is really really fun and interesting. And even though it's not a game, Celestia is a really accurate simulation of the known universe.

#7 Posted by Giantstalker (1541 posts) -

I would really love to see another Homeworld game someday, the first two were great.

Also, the original TIE Fighter. They just don't make games like that anymore.

#8 Edited by Devil240Z (3272 posts) -

@mscupcakes said:

Don't know if you necessarily mean games like this, but Universe Sandbox is really really fun and interesting. And even though it's not a game, Celestia is a really accurate simulation of the known universe.

I mostly mean games like that. I have Universe Sandbox but it just doesn't seem very realistic. Celestia is cool but I prefer Space Engine, which is basically the same kind of thing.

But I think any game or application related to space is valid.

#9 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -
@Giantstalker a new homeworld would be great. @A_Cute_Squirtle not that I'm aware of. I'll try xwing alliance from the cds later tonight. You can pm me to see if it worked. I'll check gog.Com for tie fighter
#10 Posted by Edmundus (260 posts) -

@Devil240Z: I'd give Evochron another shot. Building your own ship and zipping round systems making money and landing on planets is pretty awesome. There should be a patch to improve textures and add planet-walker mechs sometime as well.

#11 Posted by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

I miss X-Wing like crazy because I'm a huge 'Wars fan, but I also because I LOVE space flight sims. I would also love to find a game that's just like the series Firefly with smuggling, space pirating, and space combat but more sim-y than action-y.

#12 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (680 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

@Giantstalker a new homeworld would be great. @A_Cute_Squirtle not that I'm aware of. I'll try xwing alliance from the cds later tonight. You can pm me to see if it worked. I'll check gog.Com for tie fighter

Did you end up seeing if it worked at all?

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

I really like the Descent and Rogue Squadron games. I liked Wing Commander on the Sega-CD and, for some dumb reason, I really enjoyed Darkstar One: Broken Alliance on the 360.

#14 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

Space travel has been possible for the last 50 years. Interstellar travel probably won't be feasible for a long time, though, and almost certainly not in a form similar to how it's portrayed in games.

But obtuse pedantry aside, I like space games as well. I played a bunch of Freespace 1 and 2 back in the day, and more recently I really enjoyed Orbiter.

#15 Posted by StealthRaptor (526 posts) -
#16 Posted by Scroll (593 posts) -

Someone said Homeworld and I came running. Homeworld 2 with a few mods is pretty damn great still but I would kickstart the hell out of a Homeworld 3 or a game like it.

Oh and I'm currently playing the Starfarer Alpha which is a Top Down sandbox space game with combat influenced by elements of Mech warrior. It's also being supported by a whole ton of mods adding loads of new ships and factions.

#17 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

Would the space levels in battle front 2 count? I've always loved those. Or there is rogue squadron 2 which was a lot of fun until it got too hard.

#18 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I like old school shoot em ups, like Ikaruga and R Type and Lords of Thunder. Not the same kind of space game you're talking about, but they did the same thing for me when I was a kid. I'd kind of supply my own backstory for the game in my head while I was playing it, pretending I was going to see these distant worlds. The Mass Effect series probably comes the closest these days.

#19 Posted by D_W (1129 posts) -
@Devil240Z: From that short description, Space Engine sounds amazing!
#20 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

I don't know why, but flying around in a star ship feels awesome. I've played around in the X games a bit, and I'd probably play way more if I was willing to invest in some HOTAS action.

I also get the same feeling from old-timey naval ships, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean so much. Sailing around was awesome.

#21 Edited by Devil240Z (3272 posts) -

@D_W said:

@Devil240Z: From that short description, Space Engine sounds amazing!

I think it is. http://en.spaceengine.org/

Its also free to play the beta. The guy who makes it is currently working on adding actual gameplay features, but its still probably a while before we get to see it.

From the space engine website:

SpaceEngine - is a free space simulation software that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions, starting from planet Earth to the most distant galaxies. Areas of the known universe are represented using actual astronomical data, while regions uncharted by human astronomy are generated procedurally. Millions of galaxies, trillions of stars, countless planets!

I am really looking forward to the next update because its going to add a map mode that will make it alot easer to view stuff. Right now you are just a floating camera. Which is great for looking at close up things but its difficult to get perspective on things that are many lightyears away. check out this thread on the space engine site to see what I mean.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Devil240Z: If you want to get into something like Evochron, try Freelancer. It's an old game but it looks fine when you force super-sampling and 16xAF. It's also much more guided and "gamey" than Evochron. Can't fly down to planets, but you have much more to do. It is a lot easier to get into and lets you do a lot of the same exploration and trade as well as combat and customizing your space ship for your needs.

#23 Posted by Yagya (6 posts) -

There was an amazing game on Palm OS called Space Trader. I just recently, finally, found it on the Android Marketplace (it's on iOS) as well. There's straight up Space Trader, then some fan project that tried to update it called Dark Nova.

#24 Edited by Aetheldod (3516 posts) -

I played the hell out of xwing  ... it was so awesome , also right now I got a hold of Freespace 2 and downloaded the mods  ... alho other games have take hold of my attention (ok Mass Effect 3 multiplayer :P)

#25 Posted by TheActionFigure (23 posts) -

I miss the Colony Wars series back from the PS1 days. The music was beautifully orchestrated, the battles were intense, and there were multiple endings. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more games like it on modern hardware. The space level in Halo Reach was a cock tease lol. The Mass Effect series tickles my fancy these days, but I want dirty ship on ship action.

#26 Posted by selbie (1847 posts) -

Hmm where do I start:

Lunar Flight: The Quick Look with Vinny says it all.

Freelancer: A great open-world space combat & trading game. It's a shame it didn't get to achieve it's intended potential, but it was still a good game nonetheless.

Freespace 1 & 2: The epitome of grand Space Opera narrative. Without a shadow of a doubt the greatest space combat experience I have ever had. This is a crude example, but if Portal was set entirely in space, I would still choose Freespace over it.

X wing vs Tie Fighter, Tie Fighter etc etc.: These were the best embodiment of the "original trilogy" Star Wars universe before Rogue Squadron came along.

Rogue Squadron: 'nuff said ^

Evochron: Similar to Freelancer but with no restriction on where you can travel.

Descent 1, 2 ,3: I have many fond memories of spending hours crawling through the claustrophobic tunnels.

Jumpgate: The first true space combat MMO with no dice-rolls or assisted flight mechanics. Even once you had mastered the newtonian flight, the intricate skills required to be a successful pilot determined who really succeeded in that game. It's rather tragic that it had to be shut down in such an undignified manner last month, but the developers have moved on to a new spiritual successor called Squad WarsJumpgate Evolution was meant to be that sequel and was ready to go, but the publisher FUBAR'd the whole thing and landed the developer in court because of the delays.

I'm also excited to see games like 0x10c, Shores of Hazeron, and Infinity: Quest for Earth come to fruition in the coming years. Infinity especially considering the scope of that game is truly galactic in scale.

#27 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -
#28 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -